LTH Home

What's with the price of...

What's with the price of...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 20
  • Post #31 - December 27th, 2021, 11:15 am
    Post #31 - December 27th, 2021, 11:15 am Post #31 - December 27th, 2021, 11:15 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:A 30-ounce jar of Hellman's mayonnaise is up to $6.00 pretty much across the board at all of the local grocery stores we shop. :shock:

I've been buying Hellman's from Costco. Can't remember the price - $5 or so for 64 ounces? Plus it seems to go on sale once or twice a year. There is one in our fridge now and an unopened one in the basement.
    -Mary
  • Post #32 - December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am
    Post #32 - December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am Post #32 - December 27th, 2021, 11:34 am
    The GP wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:A 30-ounce jar of Hellman's mayonnaise is up to $6.00 pretty much across the board at all of the local grocery stores we shop. :shock:

I've been buying Hellman's from Costco. Can't remember the price - $5 or so for 64 ounces? Plus it seems to go on sale once or twice a year. There is one in our fridge now and an unopened one in the basement.

I wish I had the room for the larger jars. Mayo resides in the door in our fridge and the 30-ounce jar is the largest vessel that will fit in that space. FYI, the price seems to have subsided as quickly as it rose. Even pricey Sunset has 30-ounce jars on sale this week for $3.99. Fresh Farms is the most recent place I saw it for $6.00 but I haven't been there in a couple of weeks, so it may have dropped there, as well.

Speaking of Fresh Farms, last time I was there, heads of iceberg lettuce that were, not-too-long-ago, $4/each and later $2, were down to $1.29/each.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - December 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm
    Post #33 - December 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm Post #33 - December 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I wish I had the room for the larger jars. Mayo resides in the door in our fridge and the 30-ounce jar is the largest vessel that will fit in that space....
    =R=
    Just save the smaller jars, and divided the big jar into them. Then they will fit in the door. Or just don't refrigerate the mayo, like I'm told many Southern do (don't?). Keep it the food pantry, yes, opened. Not that I do that.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #34 - December 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm
    Post #34 - December 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm Post #34 - December 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I wish I had the room for the larger jars. Mayo resides in the door in our fridge and the 30-ounce jar is the largest vessel that will fit in that space....
    =R=
    Just save the smaller jars, and divided the big jar into them. Then they will fit in the door. Or just don't refrigerate the mayo, like I'm told many Southern do (don't?). Keep it the food pantry, yes, opened. Not that I do that.

No way. Once it's opened, you have to keep it cold. The oil goes rancid very quickly otherwise. I'm not a food scientist but I am a guy who remembers his mistakes. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #35 - December 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm
    Post #35 - December 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm Post #35 - December 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand why oil would go rancid when it is in mayo, but not when it is simply oil.

Oil in the pantry should give you a solid 6 months before starting to go rancid.
  • Post #36 - December 27th, 2021, 8:03 pm
    Post #36 - December 27th, 2021, 8:03 pm Post #36 - December 27th, 2021, 8:03 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand why oil would go rancid when it is in mayo, but not when it is simply oil.

Oil in the pantry should give you a solid 6 months before starting to go rancid.

Maybe it's the eggs or another component? All I know is that mayo we opened and accidentally stored dry did not lead to a palatable outcome. Maybe we just left it too long?

=R=
  • Post #37 - December 28th, 2021, 6:13 am
    Post #37 - December 28th, 2021, 6:13 am Post #37 - December 28th, 2021, 6:13 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Maybe we just left it too long?
    =R=

For me, that would be the problem.

When googling the subject, articles that seem to be credible claim that leaving commercially made mayo out does not pose a bacterial issue because of the acid and the cleanliness of the conditions in making the product. But, they say that refrigeration will extend the shelf life.

I just don't use that much mayo and would not be surprised if I keep it 6 mo to a year before buying more.
  • Post #38 - December 28th, 2021, 8:45 am
    Post #38 - December 28th, 2021, 8:45 am Post #38 - December 28th, 2021, 8:45 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:FYI, the price seems to have subsided as quickly as it rose. Even pricey Sunset has 30-ounce jars on sale this week for $3.99.
    =R=

I was also gonna suggest that Costco goes down to 5.99 or 4.99 for a 64 oz jar several times per year. I've noticed that Kraft brand mayo steadily goes on sale for cheep at pretty much ALL of the grocery stores, but Hellman's has recently always been more expensive, even at peak mayo sales times (holidays like The 4th, Turkey Day, Memorial/Labor.)

But I got sidetracked.

I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #39 - December 28th, 2021, 11:07 am
    Post #39 - December 28th, 2021, 11:07 am Post #39 - December 28th, 2021, 11:07 am
    seebee wrote:I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.

LOL - I'm not much of a wang buyer but if thigh pricing goes nuts, I may lose my sh*t! :lol:

=R=
  • Post #40 - December 28th, 2021, 10:41 pm
    Post #40 - December 28th, 2021, 10:41 pm Post #40 - December 28th, 2021, 10:41 pm
    seebee wrote:
    I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.

Hellmans is $3.49/ 30 oz this week both locally and at Marianos.

=========================

I made my semi-annual trip to Safeway today ... No wings on their "Wing" Bar, only chicken legs and breast chunks.

I also purchased more $3.59 T-bone steaks - 10# for a couple of neighbors. I have a feeling that this will be a trend. This grocery is offering $100 gift certs for $89 and I may need to buy more.
  • Post #41 - December 29th, 2021, 8:14 am
    Post #41 - December 29th, 2021, 8:14 am Post #41 - December 29th, 2021, 8:14 am
    On the price of wings: I've been getting ads online for Wing Stop saying "Look at our thighs!" featuring fried thighs and thigh nuggets. Obviously they need to sell something they can make money off of, and wings aren't doing it.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #42 - December 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Post #42 - December 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm Post #42 - December 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm
    Hellman's mayo (30 oz) usually gets put on sale at $2.99 a few times a year (different times at different stores). For me, that's the price at which to buy an extra one to store in the pantry. I've never had a problem keeping an unopened one on the shelf for months. Once opened, I would definitely keep it in the fridge. That said, I've read that when you hear about food poisoning at picnics and such, it usually turns out to be attributable not to the mayo itself but to some protein that was mixed with it.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:56 am
    Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:56 am Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 12:56 am
    When no lowfat ice cream is on sale at Jewel, I break down and get Kemp's frozen yogurt which was $4.99. When I went to Jewel recently, I noticed that it had gone up for $5.49. I decided that I did not need it, and nothing else was on sale that was low fat. Usually about this time of year, I can get holiday ice cream on clearance, but I have not seen much eggnog or peppermint ice cream at Jewel this year.
  • Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 10:06 am
    Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 10:06 am Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 10:06 am
    NFriday wrote:When no lowfat ice cream is on sale at Jewel, I break down and get Kemp's frozen yogurt which was $4.99. When I went to Jewel recently, I noticed that it had gone up for $5.49. I decided that I did not need it, and nothing else was on sale that was low fat. Usually about this time of year, I can get holiday ice cream on clearance, but I have not seen much eggnog or peppermint ice cream at Jewel this year.

I don't know much about the fat content but Nick's Ice Cream is BOGO at Jewel and there is a $1.50 coupon in J4U. From my quick read, Nick's is a version of light ice cream. I took the plunge and got a couple of pints. Mr. X is designated the peanut butter cup and he said he liked it. I tried the triple chocolate and found it to be okay. Kind of an odd finish. It will do in a pinch. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #45 - January 15th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Post #45 - January 15th, 2022, 8:00 am Post #45 - January 15th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Just yesterday my Dad inquired if prices were really increasing at the grocery store. He does not go to the store.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #46 - January 15th, 2022, 11:25 am
    Post #46 - January 15th, 2022, 11:25 am Post #46 - January 15th, 2022, 11:25 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Just yesterday my Dad inquired if prices were really increasing at the grocery store. He does not go to the store.

Nor do most of the politicians who claim that inflation is not that bad. I would like to see a redo of the old Jay Leno "Man on the Street" where they start asking the member of Congress the prices of commodities. One of the local Congress people just stated that gasoline has only gone up 2 cents a gallon in the last year.

==========================================

What I find interesting is that some of the companies that were most vocal in raising their prices (i.e., General Mills) have been offering a lot of promotions through retailers in the past month. I think that the last five boxes of cereal that I have bought have been $1.47 or less.

===========================================

My father and I have been discussing what we did during the inflation period in the late 70s. Our purchases these days are limited to what is discounted and what is on sale. Fortunately, we have a good supply of salvage produce, home grown produce, and free milk that serves to offset a lot of the inflation.
  • Post #47 - January 15th, 2022, 1:44 pm
    Post #47 - January 15th, 2022, 1:44 pm Post #47 - January 15th, 2022, 1:44 pm
    I still have lots of the bulk produce I got from Henry Brockman at the pre Thanksgiving market. I have tons of carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets garlic and sweet potatoes, and I still have five pounds of his potatoes and a bunch of his huge scallions and half a cabbage as well as about 12 of the sweet potatoes I got for $.09 a pound at Jewel at Thanksgiving. I am going to make some vegetarian shepherd's pie to use up most of the potatoes and some of the other veggies.

I do not see many deals on fruit though. I went to Jewel a week ago, and they had bags of pears B1G1F, and when I got to Jewel they were out of them, and clementine oranges were on sale $4.99 for three pounds, which is not much of a sale. I got some Florida strawberries that were on sale for $1.77 a few weeks ago, and they were not that good. Bananas are $.59 a pound everywhere right now, and milk at Jewel is currently $2.99 a gallon. I know it is 2/$4, but it would spoil before I was able to use up two gallons of milk. At least I got a bag of Christmas coffee on clearance for $2 at Jewel a few weeks ago that I have not finished yet.
  • Post #48 - January 15th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    Post #48 - January 15th, 2022, 3:06 pm Post #48 - January 15th, 2022, 3:06 pm
    NFriday wrote:I do not see many deals on fruit though.

Generally speaking, this time of year in the Midwest, fruit requires longer, more specific transit than many vegetables. As we've all heard time and time again, those conduits are currently strained, backlogged and quite costly right now. My guess is that in places where the fruit grows, prices are cheap because it comes out of the ground (and then spoils) either way and with longer-range freight options scarce and costly, there's probably great incentive to sell as much as possible locally.

=R=
  • Post #49 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:49 pm
    Post #49 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:49 pm Post #49 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:49 pm
    Hi,

I bought a loaf of bread for $2.89 at a bakery the other day.

I was considering buying some doughnuts, until I saw the price: $3.25 for a single doughnut.

I had a deja vu Soviet consumer moment recalling a kilo loaf of bread was perhaps 15 kopecs and a kilo of cookies was one rouble 50 kopecs.

As enticing as the doughnut may be, I just could not bring myself to buy it.

I am not going to name the bakery, because I am sure it is all good. I am sure there are others who do not have my background, so they shrug and buy or not buy.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #50 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:58 pm
    Post #50 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:58 pm Post #50 - January 22nd, 2022, 5:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    seebee wrote:I wanted to write that maybe the mayo price has gone down since the stores knew Ronnie_S was complaining. I was going to ask you to please start complaining more about chicken wang$.

LOL - I'm not much of a wang buyer but if thigh pricing goes nuts, I may lose my sh*t! :lol:

=R=

I’ve noticed months ago thigh prices seriously shoot up. I usually buy boneless skinless chicken thighs for stews and grilling and stuff, and my young kids and wife don’t want to deal with skin and bones. I can buy bone-in, but I don’t get nearly the yield I’d like. They used to be $1.99-2.49 a pound where I shop. And always a buck a pound cheaper than the equivalent breasts.

For the past few months, they’ve been a buck higher a pound than the breasts, averaging $3.99 per pound. Yesterday they finally had them on sale at Shop and Save at $1.99/lb for a family pack, so I picked up a couple packages. When you’re feeding a family, they’re convenient and cheap. I just can’t believe chicken breast (boneless, skinless) are now cheaper than thighs.
  • Post #51 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:42 pm
    Post #51 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:42 pm Post #51 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:42 pm
    Binko wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

I’ve noticed months ago thigh prices seriously shoot up. I usually buy boneless skinless chicken thighs for stews and grilling and stuff, and my young kids and wife don’t want to deal with skin and bones. I can buy bone-in, but I don’t get nearly the yield I’d like. They used to be $1.99-2.49 a pound where I shop. And always a buck a pound cheaper than the equivalent breasts.

For the past few months, they’ve been a buck higher a pound than the breasts, averaging $3.99 per pound. Yesterday they finally had them on sale at Shop and Save at $1.99/lb for a family pack, so I picked up a couple packages. When you’re feeding a family, they’re convenient and cheap. I just can’t believe chicken breast (boneless, skinless) are now cheaper than thighs.

Yeah the price of thighs being more expensive than breasts is strange, but at least its warranted imo. #teamdarkmeat :)

But it's fascinating to me when I see strip steaks or ribeyes priced lower than boneless short ribs at Costco. They're both great for different purposes but shocking to see those price variations
  • Post #52 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:56 pm
    Post #52 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:56 pm Post #52 - January 22nd, 2022, 6:56 pm
    Binko wrote:For the past few months, they’ve been a buck higher a pound than the breasts, averaging $3.99 per pound. Yesterday they finally had them on sale at Shop and Save at $1.99/lb for a family pack, so I picked up a couple packages. When you’re feeding a family, they’re convenient and cheap. I just can’t believe chicken breast (boneless, skinless) are now cheaper than thighs.

Hi,

I was at Shop and Save last week, they had leg quarters for 69 cents per pound. This is the cut with a bit of the back and, if I am lucky, a tail. I think I bought around six pounds. It is bagged, so all you can do it sort out how much weight you wish to deal with.

I used the legs to make your Chicken Paprikash. I broiled the thighs basted toward the end with BBQ sauce, which may not be grilled but sometimes it really hits the spot.

I often will buy whole chickens and break them down myself. It was a skill my Mom taught me, which I give her credit for whenever possible. Not having bought a whole chicken lately, I have in the past bought whole chickens at Aldi and Costco for around a $1 per pound.

Some years ago at Christmas, a friend wanted to buy a rib roast at Costco. I saw the price for the cut she wanted, then pointed to the whole piece in cryovac that was several dollars a pound cheaper. We bought it together, then split the meat and price to our needs.

DIY has some cost advantages.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #53 - January 24th, 2022, 8:29 am
    Post #53 - January 24th, 2022, 8:29 am Post #53 - January 24th, 2022, 8:29 am
    Not really on-topic, but I have always wondered why boneless thighs are less money per thigh than bone-in thighs.
  • Post #54 - January 24th, 2022, 9:25 am
    Post #54 - January 24th, 2022, 9:25 am Post #54 - January 24th, 2022, 9:25 am
    lougord99 wrote:Not really on-topic, but I have always wondered why boneless thighs are less money per thigh than bone-in thighs.
    Would be news to me that this is the case. The complicating factor is that I usually see bone-in sold in quarters with the leg. I'll keep an eye out thanks to your mention.
  • Post #55 - January 24th, 2022, 11:53 am
    Post #55 - January 24th, 2022, 11:53 am Post #55 - January 24th, 2022, 11:53 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Binko wrote:I used the legs to make your Chicken Paprikash. I broiled the thighs basted toward the end with BBQ sauce, which may not be grilled but sometimes it really hits the spot.

Yeah, like I said above, I do sometimes do that. And the Pete's Market by my house usually has drumsticks or quarters for under a buck a pound. I'm just not very good at getting the best yield from my bone-in thighs. I mean, it's nice when I want more chicken bones for stock, for sure, and that's what I do with the waste, but I just can't get the nice, meaty and neat thighs someone who does it for a profession can. I'm, of course, willing to pay more, but I'm shocked that they have gone to $3.99/lb in most markets around here when they were closer to $1.99-$2.49/lb not all that long ago. And more expensive than chicken breasts? I was happy to be the beneficiary of pricing that favored American preferences for white meat, but no longer. Oh well.

Another thing - I went to buy Duke's mayonnaise yesterday at Pete's at it was up to $6.05 a 32 oz jar! It was, I swear, $2.99 within the last two years. Just everything seems so much more expensive at the grocery, much more than the 7% inflation or whatever. I'm talking 25%-75% on almost everything. In 2019, I could buy dinner for 4 and maybe some stuff for breakfast and lunch for $20. That was my daily "budget," and it had been that way for years. (In quotes, because there was nothing strict about the budget.) Now I can't get out of the store without spending at least $30. Yesterday I spent $40 on what felt like was next to nothing.

At least I got my $1.99/lb thighs from last week defrosting for today's dinner (TBD.)
  • Post #56 - January 24th, 2022, 12:24 pm
    Post #56 - January 24th, 2022, 12:24 pm Post #56 - January 24th, 2022, 12:24 pm
    I just bought a jar of Duke's at the Amazon Fresh store in Morton Grove and it was under $4.
  • Post #57 - January 24th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    Post #57 - January 24th, 2022, 1:24 pm Post #57 - January 24th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:I just bought a jar of Duke's at the Amazon Fresh store in Morton Grove and it was under $4.

Good to know. I didn’t buy it. Seemed crazy high to me. I think I’ll need to venture out of this area to price shop (obviously while in the neighborhood for something else.) I think the Pete’s is the only store around here to carry Duke’s. Should have checked at Shop and Save when I was there a few minutes ago. I know that was the case a couple years ago — nobody knows what Duke’s is around here. Or I could wait for Pete’s to try to move their stock and put it on sale.
  • Post #58 - January 24th, 2022, 1:45 pm
    Post #58 - January 24th, 2022, 1:45 pm Post #58 - January 24th, 2022, 1:45 pm
    This is 2022, NOT 2019.

If you are looking for reasonable prices, you have to shop around. Paying $6 for a 30 oz jar of mayonnaise when the same brand has been on sale three of the past six weeks at Mariano's and Jewel does not make a lot of sense.

I started shopping for my family at age 14 in 1974 when my mother would drop me off at the local Thriftway store with a $100 and a grocery list that I "had better follow." That approach worked when inflation was minimal. However, as inflation heated up in 1977, we learned that we had to scrap the list and purchase only what was on sale.

I have been in 20 different grocery stores in the past 45 days. Prices are up across the board by about 10%. However, I have been able to offset MOST of the increases by finding alternative places to shop and by patiently looking for deals.

There is NO one place that has the lowest prices. Aldi in Chandler, AZ had higher prices on milk and eggs than Safeway and Frys (Krogers) which is NOT something that I would have expected.

The people who will do the best in this situation will be those who cook from scratch as there is less labor cost buried in food prices.
  • Post #59 - January 24th, 2022, 2:15 pm
    Post #59 - January 24th, 2022, 2:15 pm Post #59 - January 24th, 2022, 2:15 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:There is NO one place that has the lowest prices. Aldi in Chandler, AZ had higher prices on milk and eggs than Safeway and Frys (Krogers) which is NOT something that I would have expected.

This is so true. The key is dialing in the time/cost/flexibility matrix. Thrifty shopping is usually possible, especially if you let availability and pricing guide you. Can an item (or items) be had cheaper elsewhere? Maybe but it may not always pay to chase them.

I think we effectively have 6 grocery stores in our regular rotation right now and that doesn't include the Zier's, Foodstuffs, Costco and a couple other specialty shops. We don't typically go out of our way for the sole purpose of buying something at the lowest price but since so many things we buy are only available at certain stops, it's easy enough to get widely available items at the cheapest outlets (since we're likely going there for something specific anyway).

And yes, generally speaking, the more you cook from scratch -- and can do for yourself -- the easier it is to shop frugally. Otoh, beef prices are pretty high right now, even for bones. I like to make my own stock, which I think is infinitely superior to canned. But from scratch isn't always cheaper these days than canned. Still, from scratch is worth the marginally additional cost, I think.

=R=
  • Post #60 - January 24th, 2022, 3:38 pm
    Post #60 - January 24th, 2022, 3:38 pm Post #60 - January 24th, 2022, 3:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Otoh, beef prices are pretty high right now, even for bones. I like to make my own stock, which I think is infinitely superior to canned. But from scratch isn't always cheaper these days than canned.
    The thing with beef (and avocado, both of which are primary ingredients in my home cooking) is that when they drop via sale, it precipitous. Living just a half mile from a Jewel makes near daily trips easy. What happens is that skirt steak gets the 50% off sticker slapped on 1-2 days ahead of the use by date (though not always available). The discount from $12.99/lb to $6.50 destroys any inflation impact. Another apparent beef value to me is the $7.50/lb boneless short rib at Fresh Farms (Golf Rd). The same occurs with avocados, where they're $2/per 80% of the time, but the other 20% it gets cut to $0.88 at Jewel (usually $1 at FF). With refrigeration helping to delay ripening, the 20% availability can be turned into 50-60% of avocado purchases.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more