LTH Home

Suggestions for using aronia appreciated

Suggestions for using aronia appreciated
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Suggestions for using aronia appreciated

Post #1 - September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm
    Post #1 - September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm Post #1 - September 11th, 2021, 10:57 pm
    Hi- At the Evanston farmer's market today, Teresa Brockman had organic aronia berries on sale for only $3 a pint. I ended up getting two pints of them. I asked Teresa what to do with them, and she said to add them to oatmeal or use them in a smoothy. I assume they are not very sweet, and so I would do better adding maybe blueberries to the smoothy. Does anybody have any other suggestions on what to do with them? She had lots of them left when I bought mine at noon. She also had lots of apples.
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2021, 11:02 pm
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2021, 11:02 pm Post #2 - September 11th, 2021, 11:02 pm
    These are not great and are often referred to as chokeberries. They are a loose analog for cranberries and as about as palatable on their own. I think they'd be pretty awful when eaten raw and/or without being sweetened in some way. I'd use them the same way I'd use cranberries, cooked or processed in some way. I hope that helps. :(

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - September 11th, 2021, 11:23 pm
    Post #3 - September 11th, 2021, 11:23 pm Post #3 - September 11th, 2021, 11:23 pm
    Teresa also sells aronia juice too for lots of money.
  • Post #4 - September 11th, 2021, 11:28 pm
    Post #4 - September 11th, 2021, 11:28 pm Post #4 - September 11th, 2021, 11:28 pm
    NFriday wrote:Teresa also sells aronia juice too for lots of money.

Guessing it's sweetened with something natural, maybe other fruit juices? It really is unpalatable on its own.

=R=
  • Post #5 - September 13th, 2021, 8:30 am
    Post #5 - September 13th, 2021, 8:30 am Post #5 - September 13th, 2021, 8:30 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Guessing it's sweetened with something natural, maybe other fruit juices? It really is unpalatable on its own.

Nope. Her aronia juice is unadulterated.

Here is a link from Teresa's site about aronia. https://www.teresasunnylanefarm.com/aronia-faqs
    -Mary
  • Post #6 - September 13th, 2021, 9:09 am
    Post #6 - September 13th, 2021, 9:09 am Post #6 - September 13th, 2021, 9:09 am
    The GP wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Here is a link from Teresa's site about aronia. https://www.teresasunnylanefarm.com/aronia-faqs

That sounds positively awful.

=R=
  • Post #7 - September 13th, 2021, 9:18 am
    Post #7 - September 13th, 2021, 9:18 am Post #7 - September 13th, 2021, 9:18 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    The GP wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

With enough sugar, I’m sure its palatable, though that might counteract some of the beneficial properties ;)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 9:48 am
    Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 9:48 am Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 9:48 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    The GP wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

With enough sugar, I’m sure its palatable, though that might counteract some of the beneficial properties ;)

More often than not, juices like these are sweetened via the use of other, sweeter concentrates, like apple or white grape. They impart very little flavor, make the final product palatable and still allow the label to declare "no sugar added."

=R=
  • Post #9 - September 13th, 2021, 10:42 am
    Post #9 - September 13th, 2021, 10:42 am Post #9 - September 13th, 2021, 10:42 am
    I think they are the same as "choke-cherries." In that case, quite a few people make wine out of them. As they are not very good straight up.
  • Post #10 - September 13th, 2021, 11:22 am
    Post #10 - September 13th, 2021, 11:22 am Post #10 - September 13th, 2021, 11:22 am
    Puckjam wrote:I think they are the same as "choke-cherries." In that case, quite a few people make wine out of them. As they are not very good straight up.

Yes, aka chokeberries. About as palatable as raw cranberry.

=R=
  • Post #11 - September 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
    Post #11 - September 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm Post #11 - September 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
    Chokecherries and chokeberries are not the same thing (according to Wikipedia).
    We've had chokeberry bushes in the past (lost them after a harsh winter) and the berries were generally the LAST thing the birds would eat over the winter. We've now got snowberries, which are white and similarly stay most of the winter because they're so astringent.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - September 13th, 2021, 3:05 pm
    Post #12 - September 13th, 2021, 3:05 pm Post #12 - September 13th, 2021, 3:05 pm
    I had to laugh out loud over that.

If the birds won't eat them, why in the world do we try to eat them?
  • Post #13 - September 13th, 2021, 3:07 pm
    Post #13 - September 13th, 2021, 3:07 pm Post #13 - September 13th, 2021, 3:07 pm
    JoelF wrote:Chokecherries and chokeberries are not the same thing (according to Wikipedia).

Not sure about that but I do know that aronia is commonly referred to -- and traded as -- chokeberry in industrial circles.

=R=
  • Post #14 - September 13th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    Post #14 - September 13th, 2021, 6:50 pm Post #14 - September 13th, 2021, 6:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Chokecherries and chokeberries are not the same thing (according to Wikipedia).

Not sure about that but I do know that aronia is commonly referred to -- and traded as -- chokeberry in industrial circles.

=R=

Wikipedia wrote:Chokeberries are often mistakenly called chokecherries, the common name for Prunus virginiana. Further adding to the ambiguity, a variety of Prunus virginiana is melanocarpa,[9] and readily confused with black chokeberry because it is commonly referred to as "black chokeberry" or "aronia". Aronia berries and chokecherries both contain polyphenolic compounds, such as anthocyanins, yet the two plants are only distantly related within the Rosaceae.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #15 - September 13th, 2021, 7:09 pm
    Post #15 - September 13th, 2021, 7:09 pm Post #15 - September 13th, 2021, 7:09 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

My mom has had several aronia bushes for about ten years, and she uses it as some sort of superfood, drinking the juice straight up. It is positively awful, but I guess it's supposed to be some sort of natural medicine. She also creates an alcohol maceration with it, a Polish naleweka a la something like a limoncello. That one she does add simple syrup to. But as much as she is convinced of their panacean properties or whatever, she's never found any use for them outside something to imbibe.

(And, yes, "chokeberry" is a common alternate name for them; never heard "chokecherry,"though.)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more