LTH Home

rosh hashana bbq?!

rosh hashana bbq?!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • rosh hashana bbq?!

Post #1 - September 5th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    Post #1 - September 5th, 2021, 8:05 pm Post #1 - September 5th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    hi!
    the early holiday this year basically coinciding with labor day gave me the idea of a jewish new year bbq. brisket is the obvious crossover content so we've got one going on the smoker/sous vide circuit. but what else would be good? lots of pickles, ok. apple...slaw? grateful for your flashes of inspiration before i have to get it on the table tomorrow evening!
  • Post #2 - September 6th, 2021, 5:26 am
    Post #2 - September 6th, 2021, 5:26 am Post #2 - September 6th, 2021, 5:26 am
    Grill roast root vegetables.
  • Post #3 - September 6th, 2021, 8:15 am
    Post #3 - September 6th, 2021, 8:15 am Post #3 - September 6th, 2021, 8:15 am
    annak wrote:hi!
    the early holiday this year basically coinciding with labor day gave me the idea of a jewish new year bbq. brisket is the obvious crossover content so we've got one going on the smoker/sous vide circuit.

I've been doing this for years. I do 8-12 hours on the smoker, slice and put it in the oven with a little liquid and rub, plus potatoes for a couple more hours.
    The rest of the meal is traditional though, because everyone contributes a dish.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - September 6th, 2021, 8:54 am
    Post #4 - September 6th, 2021, 8:54 am Post #4 - September 6th, 2021, 8:54 am
    lougord99 wrote:Grill roast root vegetables.

What Lou said.....I also grill a bunch of peppers.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #5 - September 7th, 2021, 2:20 pm
    Post #5 - September 7th, 2021, 2:20 pm Post #5 - September 7th, 2021, 2:20 pm
    Started with a Costco 15lb prime brisket the day before. About 3.5 lbs (I'm guessing) were trimmed off (and rendered in a slow cooker for use on potatoes). Rub is 2X salt + 2X pepper + 1X red pepper (my favorite sun-dried variety from Potrero's Trading Post in New Mexico) over a light slather of yellow mustard. Wash is pomegranate vinegar, rub, water and olive oil. About 11 hours over hardwood charcoal in an 18" WSM with pecan wood chunks got it to 193. Point was wrapped in foil about 5 hours in.
    The next day, about 3 hours before dinner, sliced and put in a roasting pan with 2lbs carrots, 1 can Virtue Rosé Hard Cider, 1/2 can water, 1.5 Tbs rub. Came out wonderfully tender and moist -- it's really hard to mess up these prime briskets.

Served with matzoh ball soup, boiled/smashed/tallow roasted potatoes, relish tray, everything-bagel challah, green salad. Dessert was a black and white bundt cake, berries and whipped cream.

It was a small group (just 5 of us), we portioned and froze about 6lbs even after my son took some leftovers.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more