LTH Home

Sources for Chinese Wines?

Sources for Chinese Wines?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sources for Chinese Wines?

Post #1 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm
    Post #1 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm Post #1 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm
    In another thread budrichard wrote:Yesterday found the space formerly occupied by China Place Liquor vacant.
    Once again, I am without a source for Chinese Wine!

You might want to take a look at the new(-ish) J FreshMart on Wallace, just south of Archer. They have a decent selection of alcohol, but distilled spirits are much better represented than wines. Still, you might find what you're looking for. It's not the area's best Asian market, but it's a good store to know about (with indoor parking steps from the entrance!). Does anyone know of a better selection of Chinese wines these days?

J FreshMart
    2411 S Wallace St
    Chicago
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 904077310/
  • Post #2 - August 15th, 2022, 10:00 am
    Post #2 - August 15th, 2022, 10:00 am Post #2 - August 15th, 2022, 10:00 am
    Bump!
    We are finally out of Chinese Wine of any type.
    Not the ubiquitous ‘Cooking Wine’ which has salt added to avoid alcohol tax and sales restrictions but real Chinese wine of which there are a number of types.
    I am about to try 88 Marketplace on the weekend and trying to confirm sales is usually hit or mis, mostly mis with these establishments due to the language barrier.
    Any information that is based on experience would be appreciated as I don’t really want to search a number of different establishments.
    Thanks for any replies!
    -Richard
  • Post #3 - August 16th, 2022, 11:54 am
    Post #3 - August 16th, 2022, 11:54 am Post #3 - August 16th, 2022, 11:54 am
    Hi,

I have called 88 Market a couple of times.

Once it was all Chinese speakers who were tossing the phone around like a hot potato. One finally said, "Call back later."

I did just that a few days later. This time I lucked out to find a person conversant in English who obtained the information I was seeking.

It is possible, though it takes persistence and luck.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more