LTH Home

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 71
  • Post #211 - April 1st, 2020, 9:13 am
    Post #211 - April 1st, 2020, 9:13 am Post #211 - April 1st, 2020, 9:13 am
    seebee wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:baking powder, which can easily be made with baking soda and cream of tarter, which I have on hand.

W in T actual F???
    You can call me a rube anytime for this, but...I had no freekin idea at ALL. And we're out of BP, too! Thanks! Webbing up a formula.

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar will produce single-acting baking powder.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #212 - April 1st, 2020, 9:31 am
    Post #212 - April 1st, 2020, 9:31 am Post #212 - April 1st, 2020, 9:31 am
    Ms. Ingie wrote:Wrap those weiners in bacon, roll in brown sugar mixed with cayene, and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. (Really good with Little Smokies.)

I am going to give these a shot. Why not? It was very nice to share how you make them work.

I happen to have Little Smokies on hand. I will buy a can of Vienna sausages.

I have time, lots of time to make this work.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #213 - April 1st, 2020, 9:35 am
    Post #213 - April 1st, 2020, 9:35 am Post #213 - April 1st, 2020, 9:35 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    seebee wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:baking powder, which can easily be made with baking soda and cream of tarter, which I have on hand.

W in T actual F???
    You can call me a rube anytime for this, but...I had no freekin idea at ALL. And we're out of BP, too! Thanks! Webbing up a formula.

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar will produce single-acting baking powder.

=R=

I have also seen: To replace 1 teaspoon baking powder, combine 1/4 teaspoon baking soda with 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar.

Most of the baking powder we buy is double-acting: there is the reaction when it is initially wet and another occurring as it heats. In single acting, you are relying on the initial reaction.

Having dealt with older recipes, I recommend you have your oven preheated and your pans prepared before making the recipes. Once it is wet, you want this in the oven without much delay.

Baking soda can go stale. If you have a fresh can for this purpose, all the better.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #214 - April 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm
    Post #214 - April 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm Post #214 - April 1st, 2020, 12:11 pm
    That's the only reason I keep cream of tartar around, but I looked around and found all these other household uses for it.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #215 - April 1st, 2020, 12:32 pm
    Post #215 - April 1st, 2020, 12:32 pm Post #215 - April 1st, 2020, 12:32 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Ms. Ingie wrote:Wrap those weiners in bacon, roll in brown sugar mixed with cayene, and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. (Really good with Little Smokies.)

I am going to give these a shot. Why not? It was very nice to share how you make them work.

I happen to have Little Smokies on hand. I will buy a can of Vienna sausages.

I have time, lots of time to make this work.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2

I've only made these with Little Smokies, but thought it would be a good way to amp up the canned weiners.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #216 - April 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Post #216 - April 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm Post #216 - April 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Like so many of us, I've been seeking comfort, cooking a lot more than I normally do and trying a bunch of different ingredients, techniques and methods because I'm trying to be resourceful and well, I have the time. Instead of cooking a few meals a week for two people, I'm now cooking two or three meals a day for three people. With the extra time I have, it's actually a pleasure. The hard part is keeping stocked on ingredients. One has to maintain a balance between having a plan, and adjusting/improvising.

Breakfast is typically an afterthought for me. In fact, I usually skip it or eat some yogurt and bran cereal. But working from home -- and with some time to burn in the morning -- breakfast has become something of a use-the-leftovers challenge. I like eggs but don't usually have time to make them. These days, however, I've been making them in all sorts of ways. This morning it occurred to me that I'd never made an omelet in a certain manner. I wondered what it would be like if I cooked whole pieces of meat in a pan, dumped the eggs in on top of that and then filled the omelet with other ingredients.

A few slices of Hebrew National bologna, some American cheese and some leftover griddled onions from a recent burger night seemed like a nice combination, and one reminiscent of the bologna & egg scrambles I used to cook for myself when I was a kid . . .

Bologna, Cheese and Griddled Onion Omelet
    I liked the way the bologna crisped up and came to rest half-in, half-out of the omelet.

The gooey innards
    Good stuff and immensely comforting. I'd say I'll do it again but I probably won't. Tomorrow morning when I open the fridge, I'll find other items that need to be used up. But the method's a keeper.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #217 - April 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm
    Post #217 - April 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm Post #217 - April 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm
    Katie wrote:That's the only reason I keep cream of tartar around, but I looked around and found all these other household uses for it.

If the Home Economist is still in business, I will buy some in bulk. Buying those tiny jars, this stuff is too expensive for removing stain.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #218 - April 1st, 2020, 10:20 pm
    Post #218 - April 1st, 2020, 10:20 pm Post #218 - April 1st, 2020, 10:20 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Katie wrote:That's the only reason I keep cream of tartar around, but I looked around and found all these other household uses for it.

If the Home Economist is still in business, I will buy some in bulk. Buying those tiny jars, this stuff is too expensive for removing stain.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I used to go to the Home Economist in Westmont. I read that they changed their name to Bulk Fresh. The website wasn't workimg, but I found them on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/bulkfresh
    I'd call first. I think some stores are not allowing the use of bulk bins. I was at Fresh Thyme is Downers Grove and noticed they still had bulk bins in use, but not allowing the grinding of peanuts for peanut butter.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #219 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:20 am
    Post #219 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:20 am Post #219 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:20 am
    Ms. Ingie wrote:
    I used to go to the Home Economist in Westmont. I read that they changed their name to Bulk Fresh. The website wasn't workimg, but I found them on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/bulkfresh
    I'd call first.

I'd been trying to track down that remnant of Home Economist for years (we loved the Skokie store), but the fact that their website is down, and there hasn't been a Facebook post since last August is a bad sign. I am booked solid, don't know that I'll get a chance to call them.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #220 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am
    Post #220 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am Post #220 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am
    I just called Westmont and they are OPEN! It is not too far from Katy's Noodles or at least not relative to where I live.

Bulk Fresh Pantry - 'the store for the home economist' - full line like the Home Economist.
    Address: 6382 S Cass Ave, Westmont, IL 60559
    Phone:(630) 852-0214
    Hours:
    Friday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
    Saturday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Sunday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
    Monday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
    Tuesday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
    Wednesday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
    Thursday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
    Cathy2

• Post #221 - April 2nd, 2020, 9:59 am
    Post #221 - April 2nd, 2020, 9:59 am Post #221 - April 2nd, 2020, 9:59 am
    Oklahoma Onion burgers & crisp hash browns Tuesday, chili made with remaining burger meat Wednesday. Not a good chili picture but tasty, lightly thickened with cornmeal slurry.

Burger47.jpg Hash browns

Burger48.jpg Oklahoma Onion burgers & crisp hash browns

ChiliP2.jpg Chili
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #222 - April 2nd, 2020, 11:10 am
    Post #222 - April 2nd, 2020, 11:10 am Post #222 - April 2nd, 2020, 11:10 am
    We discovered 2 days ago that our upright deep freeze in the garage had frosted up to the point where it would not close correctly. So we emptied it the best we could to defrost it, and have been eating some unearthed treasures as a result. (We also dumped or threw away a few unearthed "treasures" as well.) Today's lunch, Frikandel, a type of skinless Dutch sausage, served with mayonnaise and curry ketchup.

IMG_1061_lzn.jpg

Edit: The extra package of Frikandel was leftover from this post from August of 2017. They were still good though.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #223 - April 2nd, 2020, 9:09 pm
    Post #223 - April 2nd, 2020, 9:09 pm Post #223 - April 2nd, 2020, 9:09 pm
    This is what I made today. Also made some Vanilla Sauce for the bread pudding and some honey butter for the bread. Bread was for a friend as was one of the puddings.

breadpudding1.jpg Chocolate Chip Croissant Bread Pudding.

bread.jpg Another attempt at Sourdough Bread.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #224 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:02 am
    Post #224 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:02 am Post #224 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:02 am
    We try to shop only once every 8-10 days right now. Have been baking bread, and due to the yeast scarcity we've made a sourdough starter and a beer-yeast starter. Also cooking things like the Alison Roman caramelized shallot pasta with which I started this thread. And lots of multi-use stuff like roasting a chicken, eating some for dinner, using the rest of the meat to make soup with the homemade stock from the carcass and reserves of leftover noodles from random 10oz recipes and we've even got started on the scallion regrowth project. Conscientious about waste, and our compost pile is busy with lots of raw stuff.

I saw a post from a friend noting that a delicious pantry scavenger sandwich is peanut butter, pickles, and sriracha, and this got me wondering what scraping-the-barrel / last-day-before-shopping combinations other people have found surprisingly tasty?
  • Post #225 - April 3rd, 2020, 9:57 am
    Post #225 - April 3rd, 2020, 9:57 am Post #225 - April 3rd, 2020, 9:57 am
    I was in Bullhead City, AZ in late 2017 and purchased a canister of organic oatmeal from Safeway for $0.60 is the salvage area of the store. For the last three years or so, I have been moving that cannister a minimum of 4-5 times a week. Now that I have been at home for breakfast seven days a week, I will have that oatmeal polished off and out of my life completely.

And next thing on the hit list is my canister of cornmeal ... I guess next week will be polenta and breakfast sausage.
  • Post #226 - April 3rd, 2020, 12:52 pm
    Post #226 - April 3rd, 2020, 12:52 pm Post #226 - April 3rd, 2020, 12:52 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    bread.jpg

Bread looks awesome, I can almost smell it!
  • Post #227 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm
    Post #227 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm Post #227 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm
    Mmes et msrs, aujourd hui pour le dejeuner, nous avons un cuisse de poulet crapaudine, avec l'haricots verts a l'aie, et un moutard piquant.

OK I've run into the limits of my seventh grade French. Here's a new way of cooking chicken thighs I love: debone, butterfly the thick part of the meat and season both sides. This turns the football shape of the bone-in thigh into a flat cutlet with skin, like a fish fillet. It lays flat in the pan and maximizes the crispy skin over medium heat if you do most of the cooking skin side down. Super simple, just cover and cook:

Once the chicken is done, throw in some vegetables and garlic to cook in the rendered fat and deglaze the fond:

Bon appetit!
    Last edited by eating while walking on April 3rd, 2020, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #228 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:03 pm
    Post #228 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:03 pm Post #228 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:03 pm
    This is quite like cooking a salmon skin side down to almost done, then flipping to finish.

I like this idea, thanks!

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #229 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:08 pm
    Post #229 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:08 pm Post #229 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:08 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:This is quite like cooking a salmon skin side down to almost done, then flipping to finish.

I like this idea, thanks!

Cathy2

Cathy, it's EXACTLY like that. In fact I got the idea from Hank Shaw's article on pan cooking skin-on fish fillets: https://honest-food.net/perfect-seared-fish/

BTW that site is a great read for food lovers and outdoorsmen alike.
  • Post #230 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:27 pm
    Post #230 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:27 pm Post #230 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:27 pm
    Channel disruptions caused by the shift from restaurant to grocery store consumption are causing shortages at retail while there is surplus elsewhere. Dairy has been hit by this with a big drop in cheese sales to restaurants that is not offset by the boom in fluid milk sales in grocery stores. Meanwhile milk is being dumped in Wisconsin due to lack of fluid milk processing capacity. Story from Wisconsin Agriculturist with a lot of details.
    People are buying so much milk that stores are implementing limits, yet milk is being dumped at dairy farms. Here's why.

Many farmers and nonfarmers are asking me why this is happening. People are buying more milk than ever at the store, and some note they are being limited to 1 or 2 gallons because grocery stores can’t keep enough milk on the shelves. No doubt, fluid milk consumption has skyrocketed now that many people are staying home to shelter in place due to COVID-19.

However, increased demand for fluid milk is not the problem. The problem is cheese consumption has dropped like a rock in the past couple of weeks because people are eating a lot less pizza now that they can’t dine at restaurants. Sure, people can still buy takeout pizza from their favorite restaurants or have Domino’s or Pizza Hut deliver, but overall, consumption of pizza has plummeted.

Nearly half of all cheese is purchased by food service, which includes restaurants and schools, while one-third of cheese is purchased at grocery stores. That statistic is especially important in Wisconsin because 90% of the milk produced in Wisconsin is made into cheese. A lot of that cheese, especially mozzarella, ends up on pizzas. There is suddenly a huge surplus of mozzarella cheese in Wisconsin and other states such as Michigan, New York and Pennsylvania.

It may seem like the trade-off between cheese and milk is about the same. But it takes 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of cheese. According to USDA in 2018, consumers ate 38 pounds of cheese per person. That’s 380 pounds of milk. The average person consumes 660 pounds of milk equivalent per year, so more than half of their dairy consumption comes from cheese.

Fluid milk consumption is through the roof, but many stores can’t handle it and are limiting consumers to 1 gallon per customer. That’s adding to the problem.

I wonder how similar shifts are going to shake out in eggs once the hoarders stop buying.
  • Post #231 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:47 pm
    Post #231 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:47 pm Post #231 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:47 pm
    Hi,

I bought eggs at Aldi for 79 cents in Libertyville on Wednesday. The Jewel nearly across the street was around $2.40 and ditto for Woodman's.

I did see someone leave Jewel with cases of eggs, which may be for Easter?

At Mariano's the other day, there was over 50 gallons of milk marked down to 99 cents to clear them out.

Everything is a bit distorted.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #232 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm
    Post #232 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm Post #232 - April 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm
    Apparently, we’re eating lots of mac and cheese =
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #233 - April 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm
    Post #233 - April 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm Post #233 - April 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm
    When I was in Jewel on Tuesday they had all of their Jewel milk marked down to $1.99, but they did not have any skimmed or 1% milk. My Jewel had a limit on how many packages of eggs you could buy, and I think they still had a limit on milk. I could have gotten Dean's 1% milk for $3.99, but I decided I could live with 2% milk for another week. The last three times I have been at Jewel they have been out of any of the store brands of skimmed and 1% milk. I've heard that a lot of the reason there has been a run at the supermarkets is because people are not eating out nearly as much as they used to, and plus they are home all day.

I used to enjoy going to the grocery store to see what kinds of deals I could get, but now in general there are not as many deals to get, and it is a lot more emotionally draining. I am worried about people getting too close to me, and I don't feel comfortable touching something in the store and not buying it. I was at Trader Joe's also on Tuesday, and I looked at the nutritional facts on a frozen dinner. I normally would have passed on it, but because I touched it, I felt obligated to buy it. I find that I am spending probably 25% more at the grocery store because there are not as many sales, and when something such as bread is on sale, there is a chance that the store is going to be out of it.
  • Post #234 - April 3rd, 2020, 3:55 pm
    Post #234 - April 3rd, 2020, 3:55 pm Post #234 - April 3rd, 2020, 3:55 pm
    If Target is convenient to you, they have a good inventory of milk and eggs. Today I paid $1.69 for skim milk and $1.29 for eggs. It’s 5% less if you have a Red Card.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #235 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:19 pm
    Post #235 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:19 pm Post #235 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:19 pm
    Target stores have a history of uneven milk pricing. Usually over $1 per gallon difference between the two stores nearest me: Peterson east of Western and Addison at Sacramento in Chicago. The latter has been consistently lower over the last year at least.
  • Post #236 - April 3rd, 2020, 10:18 pm
    Post #236 - April 3rd, 2020, 10:18 pm Post #236 - April 3rd, 2020, 10:18 pm
    eating while walking wrote:Bread looks awesome, I can almost smell it!

Thanks! Haven't heard back from the friends I gave it to, so either they loved it and are in bread heaven, or hate it and don't want to hurt my feelings. :mrgreen:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #237 - April 3rd, 2020, 10:26 pm
    Post #237 - April 3rd, 2020, 10:26 pm Post #237 - April 3rd, 2020, 10:26 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I bought eggs at Aldi for 79 cents in Libertyville on Wednesday. The Jewel nearly across the street was around $2.40 and ditto for Woodman's.

Regards,
    CAthy2

On March 16th, I was at an ALDI in Cincinnati and milk was selling for $0.99/gal and eggs were $0.58 per dozen.
  • Post #238 - April 4th, 2020, 12:15 am
    Post #238 - April 4th, 2020, 12:15 am Post #238 - April 4th, 2020, 12:15 am
    Yes I agree that Target's milk prices vary by at least a dollar. If I am in the neighborhood I can get cheap milk at the Target on Dempster in Skokie, but the Target in downtown Evanston is at least $1 more and so is the one on Howard.
  • Post #239 - April 4th, 2020, 10:20 am
    Post #239 - April 4th, 2020, 10:20 am Post #239 - April 4th, 2020, 10:20 am
    IMG_0181.JPG Breakfast pizza fresh from the oven

A pantry drawer would not slide back in place. A little digging with a broom handle revealed a few items had fallen over the edge: York peppermint patties and box of dehydrated hash browns.

Those dehydrated hash browns, a small hunk of cheese, chopped onions and a remaining bit of ham became breakfast pizza. I was lucky to cook the egg just long enough to reach the jammy egg yolk.

IMG_0184.JPG A serving of Breakfast pizza

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #240 - April 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm
    Post #240 - April 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm Post #240 - April 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:A pantry drawer would not slide back in place. A little digging with a broom handle revealed a few items had fallen over the edge: York peppermint patties and box of dehydrated hash browns.

Those dehydrated hash browns, a small hunk of cheese, chopped onions and a remaining bit of ham became breakfast pizza. I was lucky to cook the egg just long enough to reach the jammy egg yolk.

Regards,
    Cathy2

That looks yummy!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more