LTH Home

Charcoal and Solid Fuel Cookers - Weber and the rest

Charcoal and Solid Fuel Cookers - Weber and the rest
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - May 18th, 2022, 9:34 pm
    Post #61 - May 18th, 2022, 9:34 pm Post #61 - May 18th, 2022, 9:34 pm
    cito wrote:Being the total cheapskate that I am, I bought the basic 22” grill and placed a galvanized bucket on the bottom triangular wire support (after removing the flimsy ash catcher). Ash problem solved

I did this too on an old beater Weber kettle from sometime in the mid 80's. That extremely shallow aluminum ash catcher with the little pipe clips and turn-lock shape was a really bad design. The kettle itself and even the grids are still surprisingly solid.

At one time I also experimented with a Green Egg inspired firebox made from a big (12 or 14 inch) terracotta azalea pot with the bottom cut out sitting on the charcoal grid. Goal was to insulate and concentrate the fire for searing. Didn't really work all that well and I gave up on the idea. Might have worked better with a gigantic clay pot that was closer to the diameter of the kettle.
  • Post #62 - May 21st, 2022, 11:52 am
    Post #62 - May 21st, 2022, 11:52 am Post #62 - May 21st, 2022, 11:52 am
    Love the ash bucket suggestion, cito. Thanks!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #63 - May 21st, 2022, 1:07 pm
    Post #63 - May 21st, 2022, 1:07 pm Post #63 - May 21st, 2022, 1:07 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I recently had an issue with some back-ordered parts from Weber. Older parts, so I had to call, as they were not available on the website. That took some time but I got some good help and thought I was on my way.

However, my credit card had been hacked a few days after the order was placed and I received an email from Weber informing me that if I didn't call to update the payment method within a week, the order would be cancelled. No problem. Made perfect sense and not likely Weber's fault (unless they were responsible for my card getting hacked).

I called the number provided in the email and even though I had the order number, the CSR with whom I spoked required a lot of additional information from me beyond my name, the order number and my email address. Honestly, I think it was easier to get a mortgage. In any case, 20+ minutes later, after quite a bit of fumbling at Weber's end (and me being put on hold several times), I was able to provide them with the new cc number. The CSR didn't sound very confident and didn't seem too competent, so who knows if it actually took. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

"Hilarious" post script to this escapade. 5 minutes after I got off the phone with them, I received yet another email from Weber informing me that there was a problem with my payment method. So, I called again. This time it took 18 minutes but the CSR seemed more confident and competent. I'm now up to 38+ minutes on the phone with Weber today and still have no solid idea if my order still exists in their system or when it will be delivered. Ugh.

Pps . . . It will probably surprise no one that my order was duplicated by the crack staff at Weber. It showed up twice and I was charged twice. I'm still going back and forth them via email on getting a credit for the dupe and trying to return it to them. Such a joy to deal with. I've spent well over an hour so just trying work out all the issues that have arisen with this order, and that doesn't even count the fairly lengthy phone call I made to actually place the order.

Too bad that Napoleon I bought is an also-ran. I'd love to move on from Weber for my daily driver but I just don't see it happening at this point.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more