LTH Home

Exact Blade -Knife sharpening in Northbrook

Exact Blade -Knife sharpening in Northbrook
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Exact Blade -Knife sharpening in Northbrook

Post #1 - November 21st, 2017, 1:41 pm
    Post #1 - November 21st, 2017, 1:41 pm Post #1 - November 21st, 2017, 1:41 pm
    I usually get my knives sharpened once a year, before Thanksgiving. For the many years now, I've gone to Northwest Cutlery, which is a pain for me as I live in Glencoe. This year, an internet search led me to Exact Blade, which is on Waukegan Road, just south of the intersection with Dundee. I got my knives sharpened there and had an overall very pleasant experience.

I can't judge the quality of sharpening, but the proprietor told me that sharpening and selling knives is a primary focus of their business, not a sideline. He also said if the blades won't easily slice a tomato by Christmas, just bring them back for a free touch up.

All in all, this will be my new place for getting my knives sharpened.

Exact Blade
    813 Waukegan Rd
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    (847) 920-7349
  • Post #2 - February 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm
    Post #2 - February 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm Post #2 - February 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm
    This is a great shop! Dan, the proprietor, is knowledgeable and passionate about knives. Not only does he sharpen them expertly, but he also sells them. No pots, no pans, no other kitchenware. Just knives. And he even takes trade-ins.

I stopped by this morning with 9 knives and before I left the shop, we chatted in detail about each one of them. He knew the age and provenance of each of them, and was even able to correctly identify where I'd had them sharpened in the past. $64 later, my knives are as sharp as they've ever been - probably even sharper than when they were new.

Highly recommended!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - February 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm
    Post #3 - February 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm Post #3 - February 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm
    Ronnie- that comes to $7.11 each by my calculations.....
    Northwestern Cutlery- last time I was there-
    is $3.00 a blade, also- while you wait...

Jus' sayin.......
    :)
  • Post #4 - February 14th, 2018, 4:19 pm
    Post #4 - February 14th, 2018, 4:19 pm Post #4 - February 14th, 2018, 4:19 pm
    Hombre de Acero wrote:Ronnie- that comes to $7.11 each by my calculations.....
    Northwestern Cutlery- last time I was there-
    is $3.00 a blade, also- while you wait...

Jus' sayin.......
    :)

Similar to the OP, the convenience of having Exact Blade so near home is awesome for me. And for me, it also mitigates the higher price. Having to bring the blades to NWC also requires some advance planning, a long drive and traffic. Being able to bring knives 5 minutes from home definitely has its advantages, and is worth a premium.

But beyond that and more importantly, at NWC, the quality of the job they do really depends on who's doing the sharpening. On a few occasions there I've had my knives ground down far more than necessary. In some cases, they've even managed to change the shape of my blades, altered the angles of the tips, etc. Based on this one experience at Exact Blade, I'd say a very high level of care is applied there. In my experience, that level of care is not consistently applied at NWC.

Also, I could have waited at EB, but who wants to wait for 9 knives to be sharpened? It was much more convenient to leave them and go back later to pick them up. Dan also told me that he'd be happy to deliver them to my house, which is pretty darned nice.

=R=
  • Post #5 - February 17th, 2018, 12:52 pm
    Post #5 - February 17th, 2018, 12:52 pm Post #5 - February 17th, 2018, 12:52 pm
    Was in the Northern burbs a couple of days ago and, based on the recommendations in this thread, thought I'd test drive Exact Blade's knife sharpening service. As mentioned Dan is a friendly fellow who is passionate about knives and sharpening, puts a keen edge on your knives while you wait, if you so choose, and keeps up a running interesting knife centric dialog while doing so.

I've been a satisfied customer of Northwestern Cutlery for decades, and that is not going to change, but I foresee the occasional dalliance with Exact Blade and, for anyone in the Northern burbs who does not relish the thought of driving down to Lake and Halsted, Exact Blade more than fits the quality sharpening bill.

ExactBlade4.jpg Three old carbon steel friends fresh from Exact Blade. Edge is perfect, I had Dan leave the patina as that is part of the allure of carbon steel blades.

ExactBlade2.jpg Might need a band-aide just from looking at this edge pic.

ExactBlade1.jpg Dan, owner Exact Blade.

Exact Blade, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - February 24th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    Post #6 - February 24th, 2018, 3:48 pm Post #6 - February 24th, 2018, 3:48 pm
    To this point, I have always sharpened my own blades on multiple grit wet stones. It is not ideal, because there is no guide that works well for knives as there is for chisels, but I have always enjoyed doing it.

However, in recent years, I have not enjoyed the process as much and go longer and longer between sharpening and so my knives have gotten pretty sorry looking. Until this thread I was unaware of Exact Blade. I brought 3 knives there today and he did a great job and talked me into a new knife also. Glad to be no longer doing my own knife sharpening.
  • Post #7 - August 16th, 2022, 3:15 pm
    Post #7 - August 16th, 2022, 3:15 pm Post #7 - August 16th, 2022, 3:15 pm
    Just received this email from Dan . . .

in an email, Exact Blade wrote:

Knife-a-Palooza Invite
    Third Annual Customer Party and Store Sale
    Sunday September 25th, 2:30-6pm
    RSVP
    $40 arrival or $37 prepay
    Grilled Hamburgers and Hotdogs, potato salad and more.
    Full Bar Service and Beer.
    Gift Bag with Swag.

Also enjoy our participant sponsors:

Belgian Chocolatier Piron, Main St Evanston
    Up-Down Cigar, Old Town Chicago
    Deerfield Wine and Spirits, Deerfield IL
    Woodinville Bourbon, Woodinville WA

Indoor store open and outdoor tents in the parking lot!
    Exact Blade Inc
    813 Waukegan Rd
    Northbrook IL 60062
    847-920-7349
    https://exactblade.com

=R=
  • Post #8 - April 23rd, 2023, 12:29 pm
    Post #8 - April 23rd, 2023, 12:29 pm Post #8 - April 23rd, 2023, 12:29 pm
    (Mods…please move to appropriate thread, which I was unable to find)

This decades long NW Cutlery customer (including the new location) paid Exact Blade a visit a few days ago. Thanks to Ron, Gary and everyone else who heartily endorsed them.
    Didn’t meet Dan, but his asst. did a great job tuning up my three most frequently used Kikuichis and resetting the teeth on 12” F. Dick bread knife and 5” Wusthof utility slicers.
    Next trip will include several Dexter Russell carbon chef knives for sharpening as well as bolster adjustment.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #9 - April 24th, 2023, 7:12 am
    Post #9 - April 24th, 2023, 7:12 am Post #9 - April 24th, 2023, 7:12 am
    Evil Ronnie wrote:Next trip will include several Dexter Russell carbon chef knives for sharpening as well as bolster adjustment.

Do you mind informing us what you expect from a "bolster adjustment."

I am a rube when it comes to anything but having my knife sharpened.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #10 - April 24th, 2023, 12:24 pm
    Post #10 - April 24th, 2023, 12:24 pm Post #10 - April 24th, 2023, 12:24 pm
    Hi Cathy,
    The curved blades (missing metal) don’t make full contact with the cutting board.
  • Post #11 - August 9th, 2023, 12:11 pm
    Post #11 - August 9th, 2023, 12:11 pm Post #11 - August 9th, 2023, 12:11 pm
    Knife-â-Palooza IV

Knife-â-Palooza IV
    Sunday September 24th 2:30-6pm @ Exact Blade

$40 Includes:

Door Gifts valued at $40
    Deep Discounts on all Cutlery Merchandise
    Grilled Prime Burgers from Second City Prime, Northbrook
    Bartender Service, Tents, Seats
    Raffle ticket for high end cutlery giveaways
    Live Entertainment by Jay Langston
    Bears @ Chiefs on TV

Sponsoring Vendors w display items include Mesi Woodworking, The Retention Ring and other surprises.

Go to our website for more info including payment and reservations.
    Rain Date Sunday October 1st 2:30-6

Exact Blade Inc.
    813 Waukegan Rd
    Northbrook IL 60062
    http://www.exactblade.com
    847-920-7349

=R=
  • Post #12 - October 28th, 2023, 9:04 pm
    Post #12 - October 28th, 2023, 9:04 pm Post #12 - October 28th, 2023, 9:04 pm
    LTH,

Shortly after my first visit to EB, I posted enthusiastically about the service. Truth be told, Dan was off that day, and his associate worked on my five knives. I tried to convince myself that the work was acceptable, but my three Western style knives quickly returned to dullness. Dan’s asst. somehow stripped two serrated blades of any ability to slice through a crusty loaf.
    So, a few weeks ago I called Dan, and nicely (me?) told him about my experience I then left 12 knives with him.
    Dan sharpened my tools himself by hand, and I couldn’t be more pleased with his craftsmanship.

Thanks to Ron, Gary, and any other fans of Exact Blade for the tip.

And it’s so close to Fresh Farms, Wheeling!

Evil

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more