LTH Home

Behold, the Instant Pot

Behold, the Instant Pot
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 9
  • Post #211 - April 11th, 2021, 10:48 pm
    Post #211 - April 11th, 2021, 10:48 pm Post #211 - April 11th, 2021, 10:48 pm
    tjr wrote:Any thoughts on making ham stock in the IP? I have a nice double-smoked ham bone with a tiny bit of meat plus a slightly meatier shoulder bone. Pressure cook for an hour or so? Longer? Shorter but let stand in the hot water?

Thanks for any advice or experiences.

I'm pretty new to making stocks in the IP but for larger pieces/bones, like ham or the pork neck I happen to be doing at this very moment, I follow the advice of a chef chum I know from another cooking board. I IP them on high pressure for two 3-hour sessions, with a brief cool down in between, and slow release on both sessions. After that, strain it and let it cool, during which time the fat will rise to the top and solidify. You can skim that off easily and save it for future cooking. I usually vacuum seal it and freeze the rendered fat.

Another thing I often do after that -- to conserve space and increase the stock's potency -- is reduce it further on the stove top. I typically reduce a gallon of stock to 1 or 2 quarts. It stores easier that way and also packs a lot of flavor. But it can easily be reconstituted back to single strength from that stage too, if you need more volume. Obviously, if I'm making something right away with the stock, I don't bother with this step.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #212 - April 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm
    Post #212 - April 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm Post #212 - April 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm
    I've taken to roasting rotisserie chicken carcasses (plus onions, carrots, celery) for half an hour or so before throwing them all* in the IP for an hour or so on high pressure.

* The crispy rotisserie chicken skin, which also goes in my freezer bag of bones, typically doesn't make it into the IP because it goes in my belly.
  • Post #213 - April 25th, 2021, 6:49 pm
    Post #213 - April 25th, 2021, 6:49 pm Post #213 - April 25th, 2021, 6:49 pm
    I made ham stock as Ron suggested. 3 hours pressure cook followed by reducing. The pressure cook certainly got all the meat and flavor out of the bones. The porous bone ends were pretty soft and punky.

Took the lazy route on reducing. I just removed the lid and set the cooker for slow cook at 212F. Left bones and fat in. But after about 10 hours, there was only a slight change in volume. I set the cooker to saute and boiled rapidly until I had roughly half the volume including the bones and fat. Cooled slightly and drained through wire mesh. Then cooled completely and scraped off the fat. The result was very rubbery and had reasonably strong, pleasant flavor.

I wonder if I should have removed bones and fat before reducing. Did the coating of fat on the surface impede evaporation? And I might strain through a coffee filter next time. There was some dusty precipitate in the finished stock, possibly from the bones.
  • Post #214 - April 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm
    Post #214 - April 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm Post #214 - April 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm
    tjr wrote:I made ham stock as Ron suggested. 3 hours pressure cook followed by reducing. The pressure cook certainly got all the meat and flavor out of the bones. The porous bone ends were pretty soft and punky.

Took the lazy route on reducing. I just removed the lid and set the cooker for slow cook at 212F. Left bones and fat in. But after about 10 hours, there was only a slight change in volume. I set the cooker to saute and boiled rapidly until I had roughly half the volume including the bones and fat. Cooled slightly and drained through wire mesh. Then cooled completely and scraped off the fat. The result was very rubbery and had reasonably strong, pleasant flavor.

I wonder if I should have removed bones and fat before reducing. Did the coating of fat on the surface impede evaporation? And I might strain through a coffee filter next time. There was some dusty precipitate in the finished stock, possibly from the bones.

I always strain (2x, with a chinois) and de-fat first, then reduce in a sauce pan on the stove top. It goes much faster that way. What was rubbery? The stock itself? If so, that's what I refer to as gelatinous and I really like it that way but ymmv.

=R=
  • Post #215 - April 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm
    Post #215 - April 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm Post #215 - April 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What was rubbery? The stock itself?

Yes, the cold stock. As it is, it would be a rather unpleasantly chewy aspic. But used for lentil soup, diluted with some additional liquid, it was great. Next time I'll strain and defat before reducing.
  • Post #216 - April 26th, 2021, 6:57 am
    Post #216 - April 26th, 2021, 6:57 am Post #216 - April 26th, 2021, 6:57 am
    tjr wrote:Took the lazy route on reducing. I just removed the lid and set the cooker for slow cook at 212F. Left bones and fat in. But after about 10 hours, there was only a slight change in volume. I set the cooker to saute and boiled rapidly until I had roughly half the volume including the bones and fat. Cooled slightly and drained through wire mesh. Then cooled completely and scraped off the fat. The result was very rubbery and had reasonably strong, pleasant flavor.

It's typically recommended to remove the fat and any solids before reducing, as the vigorous boil leads to a cloudy stock. Depending on your uses for it, no big deal. I don't do consomme, so I don't care as much -- however my last batch of stock (made from a package of wing tips bought at Joong Boo) is nearly green-looking from suspended particles.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #217 - April 26th, 2021, 10:25 am
    Post #217 - April 26th, 2021, 10:25 am Post #217 - April 26th, 2021, 10:25 am
    An overnight stay in the fridge before reducing will make it super easy to remove fat from your stock and save it, if desired. I usually wait for it to solidify, peel it off the top, vacuum-seal it, label it and freeze it.

But one beautiful thing about natural/slow release with the IP is that the stock actually emulsifies, leaving some of the fat evenly distributed in the stock. That may result in a cloudy stock but as Joel says, when you're cooking at home, clarity is usually a non-issue. And the flavor of stocks produced in this way is terrific.

=R=
  • Post #218 - April 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm
    Post #218 - April 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm Post #218 - April 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:An overnight stay in the fridge before reducing will make it super easy to remove fat from your stock and save it, if desired.

=R=

It also allows you to leave behind any solids that got through any straining you did.
  • Post #219 - September 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm
    Post #219 - September 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm Post #219 - September 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Seems I'll be making chicken stock in the next day or two. First I have to blow the dust and spider webs off my IP.

Took me a while but I finally did the instapot chicken stock thing. Had a big pack of Costco cryovac chicken thighs in the freezer. Used half the pack. Maybe 8 or 10 frozen skin on bone in thighs. Right in the instapot. 30 minutes medium pressure. Hour and a half just hanging out until I released the slight bit of steam left

Worked surprisingly well kudos to Jen and Ronnie for the idea.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #220 - September 25th, 2021, 6:30 am
    Post #220 - September 25th, 2021, 6:30 am Post #220 - September 25th, 2021, 6:30 am
    Did you do anything with the meat of the thighs after cooking ?
  • Post #221 - September 25th, 2021, 8:58 am
    Post #221 - September 25th, 2021, 8:58 am Post #221 - September 25th, 2021, 8:58 am
    lougord99 wrote:Did you do anything with the meat of the thighs after cooking ?

Geeeeze Lou, kind of personal there.

Not really, I saved it though thought it tasted a bit washed out. I might make chicken salad, might just leave it in the fridge pretending I will do something with it then toss on garbage day.

I've been thinking of buying a Zojirushi rice cooker, though have heard IP's do a good, or poor, job, depending on what you read, with rice. So I thought since I had it out I'd make some rice.

Took out the pot insert, added rice, washed the rice, measured out the correct amount of water and poured it in the IP. Problem was, idiot me, forgot to put back the pot insert and I poured the water directly on the electric heating element. Needless to say it did not work after that.

I read if you let the IP air dry for 72-hours it should work again. We'll see.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #222 - September 25th, 2021, 10:25 am
    Post #222 - September 25th, 2021, 10:25 am Post #222 - September 25th, 2021, 10:25 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:Did you do anything with the meat of the thighs after cooking ?

Geeeeze Lou, kind of personal there.

Not really, I saved it though thought it tasted a bit washed out. I might make chicken salad, might just leave it in the fridge pretending I will do something with it then toss on garbage day.

I've been thinking of buying a Zojirushi rice cooker, though have heard IP's do a good, or poor, job, depending on what you read, with rice. So I thought since I had it out I'd make some rice.

Took out the pot insert, added rice, washed the rice, measured out the correct amount of water and poured it in the IP. Problem was, idiot me, forgot to put back the pot insert and I poured the water directly on the electric heating element. Needless to say it did not work after that.

I read if you let the IP air dry for 72-hours it should work again. We'll see.

Oh noooooo. I once put rice in my zojirushi without putting the bowl in first—I’m still finding rice grains when I clean it. That was about 10 years ago ;)

I’m not a gadget person—don’t have a toaster oven or many other countertop appliances, besides the Instant Pot and my VitaMix. But I pretty much always have rice on warm in my Zoj-and I much prefer it to rice in the IP, tho I didn’t give it much of a chance cuz I like having rice always available (my dogs get some daily and it’s our preferred family starch).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #223 - September 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm
    Post #223 - September 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm Post #223 - September 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I read if you let the IP air dry for 72-hours it should work again. We'll see.

Its been about 24-hours, seems to be working. Looks like I did not kill the Instant Pot after all.

Far as rice cookers go, I've been contemplating a Zojirushi. I have currently have two, 5 and 10 cup raw, that I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with. They are Aroma, bottom of the middle tier or top of the bottom tier, not sure which.

I can make good/decent rice using the pot, grandma finger joint method, but am starting to lust for one of the top tier rice cookers.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #224 - September 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    Post #224 - September 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm Post #224 - September 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I've been contemplating a Zojirushi.

I'm glad your IP survived. If it's any help, I've had my Zojirushi for 18 years and it's still going strong. Point is, they're pricey but they seem to hold up very well.

=R=
  • Post #225 - June 27th, 2022, 6:46 pm
    Post #225 - June 27th, 2022, 6:46 pm Post #225 - June 27th, 2022, 6:46 pm
    Anyone know how 'fixable' the control panels on the 8-quart instant pots are? The LED panel on my 2017-purchased unit is on its way out -- working only intermittently and somewhat randomly. There are times the screen says "NO PWR" even as it's clear that it's on and pressure is building (but still has to be fully pressure-released and power cycled before proceeding). Other times, it fails to launch at all and also has to be power cycled a few times before it starts up correctly. Meanwhile, they seem to be one of the few things that have decreased in price since 2017. New ones are selling for under $100 on Amazon, which is considerably less than I paid for mine back then. Do I endeavor to have the current one fixed or do I just move on?

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #226 - June 28th, 2022, 7:54 am
    Post #226 - June 28th, 2022, 7:54 am Post #226 - June 28th, 2022, 7:54 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Anyone know how 'fixable' the control panels on the 8-quart instant pots are? The LED panel on my 2017-purchased unit is on its way out -- working only intermittently and somewhat randomly. There are times the screen says "NO PWR" even as it's clear that it's on and pressure is building (but still has to be fully pressure-released and power cycled before proceeding). Other times, it fails to launch at all and also has to be power cycled a few times before it starts up correctly. Meanwhile, they seem to be one of the few things that have decreased in price since 2017. New ones are selling for under $100 on Amazon, which is considerably less than I paid for mine back then. Do I endeavor to have the current one fixed or do I just move on?

Thanks,

=R=

While I hate that we have become a "disposable" society, and more frequently replace things as opposed to fixing them, with current ones selling at prices under $100 AND the cost to repair most likely costing more than a new one (a search for replacement parts reveals that a replacement lid alone runs around $50, I would expect electronics to be even more), a new one is probably the right choice.

I'm guessing if you wait until Prime days on 7/12-13 there will be Instapots to be had cheap.
  • Post #227 - June 28th, 2022, 8:57 am
    Post #227 - June 28th, 2022, 8:57 am Post #227 - June 28th, 2022, 8:57 am
    thetrob wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Anyone know how 'fixable' the control panels on the 8-quart instant pots are? The LED panel on my 2017-purchased unit is on its way out -- working only intermittently and somewhat randomly. There are times the screen says "NO PWR" even as it's clear that it's on and pressure is building (but still has to be fully pressure-released and power cycled before proceeding). Other times, it fails to launch at all and also has to be power cycled a few times before it starts up correctly. Meanwhile, they seem to be one of the few things that have decreased in price since 2017. New ones are selling for under $100 on Amazon, which is considerably less than I paid for mine back then. Do I endeavor to have the current one fixed or do I just move on?

Thanks,

=R=

While I hate that we have become a "disposable" society, and more frequently replace things as opposed to fixing them, with current ones selling at prices under $100 AND the cost to repair most likely costing more than a new one (a search for replacement parts reveals that a replacement lid alone runs around $50, I would expect electronics to be even more), a new one is probably the right choice.

I'm guessing if you wait until Prime days on 7/12-13 there will be Instapots to be had cheap.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking as well . . . especially about waiting for Prime Days if I'm going to replace it. Seems the Instant Pots are one of those items that always go on sale then.

=R=
  • Post #228 - June 28th, 2022, 10:53 am
    Post #228 - June 28th, 2022, 10:53 am Post #228 - June 28th, 2022, 10:53 am

You can probably replace the control panel yourself for about $15. See eBay for the part and YouTube for instructional videos. Once the metal housing is removed (I didn't watch those steps), replacing an old control panel with a new one is very simple.
  • Post #229 - June 28th, 2022, 12:40 pm
    Post #229 - June 28th, 2022, 12:40 pm Post #229 - June 28th, 2022, 12:40 pm

Thanks,

=R=

I’d also suggest looking on FB or Next Door’s sale pages—IPs are definitely one of those items that lots of people buy and don’t use —then sell for really cheap. I see them all the time, brand new never used, for $25 or less.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #230 - June 28th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Post #230 - June 28th, 2022, 12:56 pm Post #230 - June 28th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Thanks, Peter and Jen. I definitely want to try to fix this, even if only for the sport of it. I'll pursue that avenue first.

=R=
  • Post #231 - June 28th, 2022, 2:15 pm
    Post #231 - June 28th, 2022, 2:15 pm Post #231 - June 28th, 2022, 2:15 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Thanks, Peter and Jen. I definitely want to try to fix this, even if only for the sport of it. I'll pursue that avenue first.

=R=

If the problems are intermittent it could just be a loose wire from the control panel or some corrosion on the circuit board. I haven't taken one apart myself, but from what I've seen they're built in a way that makes them pretty easy to take apart and service. Might be worth removing the bottom plate to see if any connections are loose and if there are any areas of green corrosion that's pretty easy to remove with some q-tips soaked in isopropyl alcohol.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #232 - June 28th, 2022, 6:40 pm
    Post #232 - June 28th, 2022, 6:40 pm Post #232 - June 28th, 2022, 6:40 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Thanks, Peter and Jen. I definitely want to try to fix this, even if only for the sport of it. I'll pursue that avenue first.

=R=
    Once you figure it out, you can give me pointers on replacing the LCD panel in my car. :lol:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #233 - June 28th, 2022, 6:50 pm
    Post #233 - June 28th, 2022, 6:50 pm Post #233 - June 28th, 2022, 6:50 pm
    Xexo wrote:

=R=
    Once you figure it out, you can give me pointers on replacing the LCD panel in my car. :lol:

LOL - if it's anything like my son's Hyundai Santa Fe, pulling a few fuses and putting them back in may work wonders. We now keep a needle-nose pliers in the glove compartment for that very purpose. On those occasions when the system won't shut down after he turns the car off, he pulls a fuse, waits a few seconds and puts it back in. Seems to work every time! :lol: We figured out which fuse after watching a few youtube videos on the subject.

=R=
  • Post #234 - June 28th, 2022, 8:32 pm
    Post #234 - June 28th, 2022, 8:32 pm Post #234 - June 28th, 2022, 8:32 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Xexo wrote:

=R=

LOL - if it's anything like my son's Hyundai Santa Fe, pulling a few fuses and putting them back in may work wonders. We now keep a needle-nose pliers in the glove compartment for that very purpose. On those occasions when the system won't shut down after he turns the car off, he pulls a fuse, waits a few seconds and puts it back in. Seems to work every time! :lol: We figured out which fuse after watching a few youtube videos on the subject.

=R=
    Thanks! I'll have to check that idea out.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #235 - June 30th, 2022, 11:28 am
    Post #235 - June 30th, 2022, 11:28 am Post #235 - June 30th, 2022, 11:28 am
    Coogles wrote:

If the problems are intermittent it could just be a loose wire from the control panel or some corrosion on the circuit board. I haven't taken one apart myself, but from what I've seen they're built in a way that makes them pretty easy to take apart and service. Might be worth removing the bottom plate to see if any connections are loose and if there are any areas of green corrosion that's pretty easy to remove with some q-tips soaked in isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks. I think this is my next move. Not only am I not sure it's the panel, there are no matches for the exact panel I'd need available at eBay right now, so that'll have to wait. So far, I've found them nowhere else on the internet.

I've watched a few disassembly videos on youtube and am reasonably confident I can take it apart, inspect it, clean it up if necessary and put it back together. But I have some friends' knives that I promised to sharpen this weekend, so this is going to have to wait until after that. In the meantime, it still works, albeit fussily.

=R=
  • Post #236 - November 22nd, 2022, 7:34 pm
    Post #236 - November 22nd, 2022, 7:34 pm Post #236 - November 22nd, 2022, 7:34 pm
    With the price of bone in thighs through the roof, it was nice to find frozen backs at Sunset in HP for $2.69 / Lb.
  • Post #237 - November 24th, 2022, 7:29 am
    Post #237 - November 24th, 2022, 7:29 am Post #237 - November 24th, 2022, 7:29 am
    I’ve been using chicken legs, which I cleave a couple times to expose more bone. Last week, they were 99 cents a pound at both the Pete’s Market by my house and the Shop and Save. (This time I used them for chicken paprikash, so no IP, but it was nice to be able to make a family meal that lasted a couple of days for like $10.)
  • Post #238 - March 3rd, 2023, 2:35 pm
    Post #238 - March 3rd, 2023, 2:35 pm Post #238 - March 3rd, 2023, 2:35 pm
    Another tip of the cap to Jen, who turned me on to this easy-breezy method for making stock. Started by oven-roasting ~5 pounds of split pork trotters and neck bones (about an hour, 375F convection roast, flipped at the halfway point) . . .

Roasted Pork Parts & 8-quart InstantPot Bowl
    From here, fill with cold water and instantpot the whole deal for a couple of hours. After that, strain, skim all the fat and reduce the resulting gallon down to about a quart on the stove top. Once cooled, it'll be a highly concentrated, completely gelatinous mass.

Remembering something I read from Thomas Keller years ago, and going for maximum versatility here. So, no other ingredients. No veg, herbs or seasonings of any kind. I can always add on to whatever I'm cooking later but if I put it in now, I can't take it out.

=R=
  • Post #239 - March 3rd, 2023, 5:18 pm
    Post #239 - March 3rd, 2023, 5:18 pm Post #239 - March 3rd, 2023, 5:18 pm
    You cannot, or it is difficult, add bay leaf flavor later.
  • Post #240 - March 3rd, 2023, 5:37 pm
    Post #240 - March 3rd, 2023, 5:37 pm Post #240 - March 3rd, 2023, 5:37 pm
    lougord99 wrote:You cannot, or it is difficult, add bay leaf flavor later.

I think you certainly could if you were making a soup, stew or a braise (or other long cooked dish). Otoh, I wouldn't want bay leaf in there if I were making mapo tofu, sauteed vegetables or a stir fry.

I use bay leaves fairly often but I'm not convinced they add much anyway. It's mostly habit. The only place I really notice them is crushed or powdered into dry rubs or cures.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more