LTH Home

Best Biscuits (recipes, techniques, etc)

Best Biscuits (recipes, techniques, etc)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 17th, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Post #31 - November 17th, 2019, 12:00 pm Post #31 - November 17th, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Biscuits so easy even a caveman could make them. 2-ingredient, White Lily flour (self-rising), heavy cream. done & done.

Biscuits, count me a Fan!
    BiscuitsP2.jpg Biscuits

BiscuitsP1.jpg Biscuits

BiscuitsP3.jpg Biscuits
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - April 12th, 2020, 10:05 am
    Post #32 - April 12th, 2020, 10:05 am Post #32 - April 12th, 2020, 10:05 am
    Banana muffin & drop biscuit morning.

MuffinBiscuitP2.jpg Banana muffins

MuffinBiscuitP1.jpg Drop biscuits

Biscuits, muffins, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - April 12th, 2020, 11:08 am
    Post #33 - April 12th, 2020, 11:08 am Post #33 - April 12th, 2020, 11:08 am
    It took me almost 5 years but I finally made Cook’s Illustrated’s Ultimate Flaky Biscuits.

They were very good. They are showstoppers. But I think my workhorse will remain the two-ingredient biscuit.

Today my images are loading sideways, so follow the link for a pic.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-h8vjKl53U ... 9smwyajd63
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #34 - October 25th, 2020, 12:27 pm
    Post #34 - October 25th, 2020, 12:27 pm Post #34 - October 25th, 2020, 12:27 pm
    Biscuits two ways. One with butter & sorghum, one with butter, ham & fig/apricot jam. Grapes and a soy egg on the side.

click on image to enlarge

Biscuits, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - October 26th, 2020, 7:22 am
    Post #35 - October 26th, 2020, 7:22 am Post #35 - October 26th, 2020, 7:22 am
    I have some cream to get rid of so maybe I just make some today.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #36 - October 26th, 2020, 8:28 am
    Post #36 - October 26th, 2020, 8:28 am Post #36 - October 26th, 2020, 8:28 am
    pairs4life wrote:I have some cream to get rid of so maybe I just make some today.

Biscuits are always a good idea! I've been making the White Lily two ingredient biscuits lately.

I get White Lily self-rising flour at Food 4-Less, a few around town, and its so simple a caveman can do it. (Oh gosh, hope I did not offend jellob1976 with my pop culture reference. I'd hate to have what little culture I own canceled.)

White Lily Cream Biscuits I'm also a fan of the Cook's Illustrated buttermilk drop biscuits and, of course, Brad B's state of the art grated yolk masterpiece of baking.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #37 - January 21st, 2023, 1:43 pm
    Post #37 - January 21st, 2023, 1:43 pm Post #37 - January 21st, 2023, 1:43 pm
    Generous beyond anything words can describe, a friend gifted me an entire country ham that he cured and aged. I'm planning some sort of a ham get-together, so that I can share it with as many people as possible. But before that can happen, I need to get my biscuit game in order. I cannot even remember how long it had been since I'd last made them but this morning I decided that I'd better get some reps in. Made the most basic of recipes and considering how long it'd been, I was pretty happy with the results. Decided to make some breakfast sandwiches . . .

Plated Up
    Cheese omelet, caramelized onions, homemade bacon, American cheese and lots of butter.

What the biscuits lacked was completely attributable to user error. When it comes to handling, less is more. And I forgot to reflour the cutter after each biscuit, which bound their sides a bit and probably impeded their rise, though they still rose nicely. I think after a few more runs, I'll have nailed it down well enough to proceed with the party. In the meantime, I can already tell that the failures aren't going to be too hard to suffer through. ;)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #38 - January 21st, 2023, 1:48 pm
    Post #38 - January 21st, 2023, 1:48 pm Post #38 - January 21st, 2023, 1:48 pm
    Wow, home cured country ham - that's quite a project!
    What recipe did you use for your biscuits? In the South there seem to be endless variations in ingredients, flour brands, self-rising vs. adding leaveners, sweet milk vs. buttermilk, brushing tops, pan spacing, etc.
  • Post #39 - January 21st, 2023, 1:57 pm
    Post #39 - January 21st, 2023, 1:57 pm Post #39 - January 21st, 2023, 1:57 pm
    tjr wrote:Wow, home cured country ham - that's quite a project!
    What recipe did you use for your biscuits? In the South there seem to be endless variations in ingredients, flour brands, self-rising vs. adding leaveners, sweet milk vs. buttermilk, brushing tops, pan spacing, etc.

Yeah, it was one helluva gift. 31 months cured/aged. Cannot wait to bust it out.

On the biscuits, I went very basic . . . 2 C AP flour, 1 T baking powder, 1t salt, 1t sugar, 90g unsalted butter and 180ml buttermilk. That produced 6+ biscuits. As you said, the opportunities for variation are endless. But thinking about eventually pairing them with a country ham, I want to keep them pretty basic and let the ham be the star. This recipe seemed like a good starting point.

=R=
  • Post #40 - January 21st, 2023, 2:31 pm
    Post #40 - January 21st, 2023, 2:31 pm Post #40 - January 21st, 2023, 2:31 pm
    Those look good Mr. Suburban. Next you knead to do biscuits and gravy! Last time I made biscuits (for biscuits and gravy) they came out too sweet. The self rising flour and cream recipe from Serious Eats. Can't remember if I added sugar or not. Need to try biscuits again using your recipe.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #41 - January 21st, 2023, 3:19 pm
    Post #41 - January 21st, 2023, 3:19 pm Post #41 - January 21st, 2023, 3:19 pm
    Xexo wrote:Those look good Mr. Suburban. Next you knead to do biscuits and gravy! Last time I made biscuits (for biscuits and gravy) they came out too sweet. The self rising flour and cream recipe from Serious Eats. Can't remember if I added sugar or not. Need to try biscuits again using your recipe.

Was thinking about giving B&G a go tomorrow. I have some homemade sausage in the freezer, so it could happen. And yes, I'm closely watching the sweetness. That's not what I want in my final product. I think a touch of sugar helps the biscuits brown but beyond that, I'm going to be very judicious with it.

=R=
  • Post #42 - January 21st, 2023, 9:15 pm
    Post #42 - January 21st, 2023, 9:15 pm Post #42 - January 21st, 2023, 9:15 pm
    in case you need ham party inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSndVfSnFHA

• Post #43 - January 21st, 2023, 10:05 pm
    Post #43 - January 21st, 2023, 10:05 pm Post #43 - January 21st, 2023, 10:05 pm
    HI,

Back in the 90's, there was an article in Saveur featuring Monte's ham. I have the recipe in my computer clipped from 2011, though I know I have made it earlier than this.

It's posh entertaining on a budget with everyone just loving it.

I once found myself volunteered to prepare food for a fundraiser. I went straight to Monte's Ham for the main course. There was not a lot left, or at least enough to make some soup later.

Just finishing up the 12-pound ham cooked last Sunday. Iowa Ham Balls for lunch today and likely lunch tomorrow, too. Just enough sliced ham for a few more sandwiches, my current favorite is apricot jam on toast topped with ham.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #44 - January 21st, 2023, 11:16 pm
    Post #44 - January 21st, 2023, 11:16 pm Post #44 - January 21st, 2023, 11:16 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Iowa Ham Balls
    Something like these? https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/iowa-ham-balls/

Curious about using butter as biscuit shortening, I consulted a few Southern cookbooks:
    The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook (Paula Deen, before she became nationally known)
    What I Like About Dining With the Gills (cookbook of the Science Hill Inn by the owners)
    Hilton Head Entertains (Hilton Head Prep fundraiser, recipes from parents)
    Court of Two Sisters Cookbook (Mel Leavitt)

Deen's "Basic Biscuits" are actually what are often called hot rolls in the South, leavened with both baking powder & soda and yeast. They specify Crisco shortening. The Gills and Hilton Head both call for shortening.
    Leavitt uses margarine.

I've found Crisco to be a little artificial tasting, and it didn't get any better without trans fats. I wonder if shortening with animal fat, such as this Walmart brand might be closer to what they used in the good old days.
  • Post #45 - January 21st, 2023, 11:26 pm
    Post #45 - January 21st, 2023, 11:26 pm Post #45 - January 21st, 2023, 11:26 pm
    tjr wrote:... I've found Crisco to be a little artificial tasting, and it didn't get any better without trans fats. I wonder if shortening with animal fat, such as this Walmart brand might be closer to what they used in the good old days.
    Thank you. I didn't know about this, and it is even available in some of the local stores. I agree about the trans fat removal, Kraft Mac and Cheese doesn't taste right anymore (they claimed no one noticed when they remove it, but didn't let on about it for years. I stopped buying it about the time they did remove it.). Oreos either.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #46 - January 22nd, 2023, 12:54 am
    Post #46 - January 22nd, 2023, 12:54 am Post #46 - January 22nd, 2023, 12:54 am
    tjr wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Iowa Ham Balls
    Something like these? https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/iowa-ham-balls/

I was more or less influenced by this recipe.

I have made it twice. The first time I made 50:50 ham and ground pork. Today it was 2:1 ham and ground pork. For my tastes, I liked 50:50 better because it felt firmer. I used freshly minced onions instead of dehydrated.

I did not use canned tomato soup for the glaze. I had leftover marinara sauce from a restaurant meal and added ketchup plus everything else.

The meatballs were 170 degrees at 45 minutes. I put the glaze on to cook for another 20 minutes. I wanted the glaze to thicken a bit.

This will be my new go-to for excess ham.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #47 - January 22nd, 2023, 2:39 pm
    Post #47 - January 22nd, 2023, 2:39 pm Post #47 - January 22nd, 2023, 2:39 pm
    As was foretold upthread, with some homemade breakfast sausage on hand and a few day-old biscuits leftover, I decided to make biscuits and sausage gravy this morning . . .

Biscuits, Sausage Gravy & Sunnyside Up Egg
    This was really good but between yesterday's breakfast sandwich and this substantial, truck stop-worthy plate, I'll be more than ready to return to my usual yogurt & flax seed meal tomorrow morning. :D

=R=
  • Post #48 - January 22nd, 2023, 6:15 pm
    Post #48 - January 22nd, 2023, 6:15 pm Post #48 - January 22nd, 2023, 6:15 pm
    Looking good Ron.
    My cheddar biscuits from last Winter, a twenty five year learning process. I laminate 4-5 times and reroll scraps as gently as possible

If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #49 - February 13th, 2023, 9:38 am
    Post #49 - February 13th, 2023, 9:38 am Post #49 - February 13th, 2023, 9:38 am
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #50 - November 29th, 2023, 9:34 am
    Post #50 - November 29th, 2023, 9:34 am Post #50 - November 29th, 2023, 9:34 am
    Biscuit biscuit who’s got the biscuit!

Click to enlarge

Biscuits, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles