LTH Home

Today's Discovery

Today's Discovery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 10 of 13
  • Post #271 - November 26th, 2021, 6:51 pm
    Post #271 - November 26th, 2021, 6:51 pm Post #271 - November 26th, 2021, 6:51 pm
    Costco has a 12oz tub of dried mushrooms (the same size and shape container they use for peanutbutter-filled pretzels). Boletus, portobello, oyster and porcini. I don't remember the price, but I think it was under somewhere between $18 and $24, a steal, when dried mushrooms go for $4 an oz. regularly. I see soup in my near future.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #272 - January 17th, 2022, 11:36 am
    Post #272 - January 17th, 2022, 11:36 am Post #272 - January 17th, 2022, 11:36 am
    A while back, I picked up one of the new-ish Weber seasonings. I tried the Garlic Parmesan, which is quite tasty -- heavy on black pepper, but nice kick of garlic and parmesan -- easy way to get flavor when you're in a hurry.

So when I saw that Weber had a new flavor -- Smoky Truffle -- I figured I had to buy it -- being a fan of smoke and fairly passionate about truffles. DO NOT GET THIS PRODUCT. I'd say the smoke taste is reminiscent of burning tires, and there is no discernible truffle taste. Real disappointment.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #273 - January 23rd, 2022, 8:05 pm
    Post #273 - January 23rd, 2022, 8:05 pm Post #273 - January 23rd, 2022, 8:05 pm
    Luosifen - Liuzhou River Snail Rice Noodles

This interesting report about these noodles ran on NPR last week:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/16/1072218612/snail-noodles-go-viral-in-china-during-the-pandemic-but-the-dish-is-a-bit-funky

These noodles, which are sometimes described as the "Durian of noodles" have apparently become very popular in China over the past couple of years.

I happened to see these at 88 on Saturday morning:

This is what was in the package:

Rice noodles, snail broth concentrate, several types of preserved vegetables, tofu skin, wood ear, vinegar and chili oil.

Final product today:

These were really, really spicy. The chili oil packet warned, "Please add deliberately", so I deliberately added the entire packet. I suspect that not all Snail Rice Noodles pack this much heat.

There was a definite funk to it, both in taste and smell, but the smell wasn't as strong as I was expecting - though the kitchen did have an odor for quite a while afterwards. In additon to spiciness the vinegar and pickled vegetables added sour notes. The pickled vegetables added a lot both to the taste and the smell.

It was a good hot bowl of noodles on a cold day. I have another package which is not supposed to be as spicy and may be able to get a better read on the snailness of it.
    Last edited by bw77 on January 24th, 2022, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #274 - January 24th, 2022, 8:57 am
    Post #274 - January 24th, 2022, 8:57 am Post #274 - January 24th, 2022, 8:57 am
    bw77 wrote:...
    These were really, really spicy. The chili oil packet warned, "Please add deliberately", so I deliberately added the entire packet.

This made me laugh out loud.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would be intimidated by all the small packages.
    -Mary
  • Post #275 - January 24th, 2022, 10:34 am
    Post #275 - January 24th, 2022, 10:34 am Post #275 - January 24th, 2022, 10:34 am
    bw77 wrote: may be able to get a better read on the snailness of it.

Ha, may just have to go buy a pack of Liuzhou River Snail Rice Noodles just to be able to comment on the "snailness"
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #276 - January 24th, 2022, 1:40 pm
    Post #276 - January 24th, 2022, 1:40 pm Post #276 - January 24th, 2022, 1:40 pm
    bw77 wrote:The chili oil packet warned, "Please add deliberately", so I deliberately added the entire packet.

Banner quote!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #277 - January 26th, 2022, 3:58 pm
    Post #277 - January 26th, 2022, 3:58 pm Post #277 - January 26th, 2022, 3:58 pm
    Snail Rice Noodles Round 2 - Less Heat, More Snail

They say that if you have 3 bowls you will become addicted. This is bowl 2.

This version won the Gold Medal at the 2015 Liuzhou Snail Noodle Competition and I suspect that these are the noodles that started the craze. I only added half of the Chili Oil packet this time. It was still plenty.

Smell seemed stronger this with these and the funky taste was more pronounced, though that could be because last time the spiciness just overwhelmed everything else. Kitchen smelled for several hours afterwards.

These are interesting spicy and unusual noodles for something you can whip up in 10 minutes at home, but I don't think the funky taste is growing on me. Given the choice, for a spicy soup, I think I would prefer a good bowl of Bun Bo Hue or Soondubu.
  • Post #278 - February 14th, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Post #278 - February 14th, 2022, 4:15 pm Post #278 - February 14th, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Silkie or Black-Boned Chicken

Finally got my nerve up to try one of these. If you are not familiar, these are small chickens with very fluffy feathers and black or dark blue colored skin and bones. Chicken was "Buddist Style" - head and feet attached.

Parboiled and then simmered with onion, garlic and lots of ginger.

Took some meat off during simmering to use in the final soup and added jujubes, ginseng and star anise.

To finish added some of the meat back in together with lotus root and radish.

This was a bit of a hit. The herbal flavor made it reminiscent of something you might be served at Ssyal. The meat was a bit gamier and stringier than a typical roaster and made a very chickeny broth. Will probably do this again.
  • Post #279 - February 18th, 2022, 9:51 pm
    Post #279 - February 18th, 2022, 9:51 pm Post #279 - February 18th, 2022, 9:51 pm
    If you would never use a can of Campbell's soup, ignore this post.

Otherwise: Campbell's now has no-salt versions of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom condensed soups.

I'm using one of each tonight to make old-fashioned tuna noodle casserole for a neighbor who is pining for some. It's not Lent yet, but I thought I could use the practice.

This is a discovery from a previous day that I forgot to post earlier (again, for those who find it useful): Campbell's Healthy Request condensed soups have less sodium than the 25% Less Sodium condensed soups -- at least for the varieties I've checked.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #280 - February 18th, 2022, 10:57 pm
    Post #280 - February 18th, 2022, 10:57 pm Post #280 - February 18th, 2022, 10:57 pm
    How did the Campbell's taste without the salt?

Did you end up salting it anyway?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #281 - February 19th, 2022, 12:32 pm
    Post #281 - February 19th, 2022, 12:32 pm Post #281 - February 19th, 2022, 12:32 pm
    It tastes completely unsalted. It is to the regular version of canned soup as tomato water is to bloody Mary mix. :lol:

Actually, it has 50 mg of salt, presumably from what naturally occurs in the other ingredients, but there are no salt-like ingredients listed, and 50 mg is nothing compared to the several hundred mg in the regular ones. The label advises "season to your taste."

For the tuna casserole sauce, I did add a very little salt, but I seasoned it primarily with pepper, herbes de Provence, and a little Accent, and I added sherry and sautéed onion, celery, garlic, and mushroom. It turned out well.

I would certainly buy the unsalted cream of mushroom again for similar sauces and casseroles, and the unsalted cream of chicken, although I think I'd use that less, and if they come out with an unsalted cream of celery, I'd buy that too, for the same purposes. For soups really meant to be eaten as soups (tomato, chowder, chicken noodle, etc.), I think you'd have to add quite a bit of salt to enjoy them. I don't imagine Campbell's is planning to come out with unsalted versions of all its soups. Seems like it would defeat the convenience aspect.
  • Post #282 - March 5th, 2022, 5:26 pm
    Post #282 - March 5th, 2022, 5:26 pm Post #282 - March 5th, 2022, 5:26 pm
    While I was caring for mom, I started buying frozen meals to have on hand when I needed to stay the night. One of my favorites was chicken over hearts of palm noodles. I imagined this would be something that would not be widely available -- but stopped at Costco yesterday and found that they had cans of Heart of Palm "Spaghetti" -- shredded hearts of palm to be used if you're avoiding pasta. Got a package and have enjoyed my first meal employing them in lieu of pasta -- and they're great. Not pasta, of course, but if you are cutting back on carbs, a really tasty alternative.

• Post #283 - March 8th, 2022, 10:54 am
    Post #283 - March 8th, 2022, 10:54 am Post #283 - March 8th, 2022, 10:54 am
    Heart of Palm "Spaghetti"

Also at Woodman's (Palmini brand) and possibly at Jewel (Gefen brand, maybe at the kosher Jewels?)
  • Post #284 - March 8th, 2022, 11:51 am
    Post #284 - March 8th, 2022, 11:51 am Post #284 - March 8th, 2022, 11:51 am
    tjr wrote:
    Heart of Palm "Spaghetti"

Also at Woodman's (Palmini brand) and possibly at Jewel (Gefen brand, maybe at the kosher Jewels?)

Thanks. Good to know.

• Post #285 - March 18th, 2022, 2:13 pm
    Post #285 - March 18th, 2022, 2:13 pm Post #285 - March 18th, 2022, 2:13 pm
    Not really today -- over a couple of weeks -- but today I tried the last "flavor."

Keto Mylk from Mooala (combination of a cow and a koala)

It has zero carbs and 5 mg of MCTs -- which is kind of the gold standard for those pursuing a keto lifestyle.

Flavors, at least at my Jewel -- are chocolate chip, cinnamon roll, unsweetened vanilla, and original (unsweetened, no added flavor, just tastes a bit of the coconut cream used to give it its milk-like consistency).

Lovely, creamy consistency. Good flavor. Even the sweetened flavors (stevia) are only very lightly sweetened. Just a great discovery if one is trying to reduce carps and get a few more MCTs.

Based on going back a couple of times to the Jewel, I don't get the feeling this is flying off the shelves. Do hope it does well enough to continue to be stocked.

• Post #286 - June 13th, 2022, 12:32 pm
    Post #286 - June 13th, 2022, 12:32 pm Post #286 - June 13th, 2022, 12:32 pm
    Bought this a while back, but since it will sit on a shelf waiting for you, figured it was just the thing to try on a day I didn't have time to go shopping.

Samgyetang -- Korean Traditional Ginseng Chicken Stew.

The surprise was that the bag that contained the stew actually held a whole chicken -- a small chicken, but still entire.

Very simple dish with a few "medicinal" ingredients-- ginseng, ginger, jujube, garlic. Not a big flavor, but very wholesome. I figure that with chicken, ginger, ginseng, and garlic, this would be perfect to have on hand this winter, when chicken soup can help one get through a bad cold. One might want to dress it up a bit, as it's pretty mild in flavor. However, for a shelf-stable dish in a boil-in bag, it seems like a good option for winter.

Purchased at Assi. Shows a use-by date of Nov. 27, 2022--so pretty good shelf life.

• Post #287 - July 6th, 2022, 7:17 am
    Post #287 - July 6th, 2022, 7:17 am Post #287 - July 6th, 2022, 7:17 am
    I was at the Meijer's in Rolling Meadows and found in the ketchup aisle now Heinz has there own line of chili oil/chili crisp from their Heinz 57 brand called Heinz 57 Collection Culinary Crunch Chili Pepper Crunch. Seems like all these companies are expanding there core product lines to get new customers.

https://www.heinz.com/products/0000000662
  • Post #288 - July 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm
    Post #288 - July 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm Post #288 - July 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm
    Had to stop at the UPS store today and noticed, a couple of doors down, a place called Amish Farmers. Figured I should check it out. It is a small specialty grocery store that has fresh organic vegetables and fruit, lovely veg put up in jars, beautiful bread, a butcher (with rabbit, in addition to chickens and beef), hot food, and more. Because someone on LTH had been looking for lentils, I couldn't help but notice an entire shelf of various kinds and colors, plus other beans and grains. Not a big place, but everything looked lovingly prepared or carefully grown -- in other words, Amish. Doubt that it's worth a trip if you live 20 miles away, but if you're in the northwest suburbs, might be a place to stop. Closed on Sunday, but open 8am to 6pm the rest of the week.
    Amish Farmers
    2122 S Plum Grove Rd
    Rolling Meadows, IL 60008,

• Post #289 - July 11th, 2022, 9:27 pm
    Post #289 - July 11th, 2022, 9:27 pm Post #289 - July 11th, 2022, 9:27 pm
    Looks like there is another Amish Farmers in Franklin Park. Their website, amishfarmers.com , is non-functional. On their FB page, they describe themselves as deli stores, different from the Amish stores one might encounter in Ohio etc, which are mainly bulk food stores catering to Amish cooks.
  • Post #290 - July 11th, 2022, 10:33 pm
    Post #290 - July 11th, 2022, 10:33 pm Post #290 - July 11th, 2022, 10:33 pm
    Interesting. Certainly wouldn't call the Amish Farmers near me a "deli store." More like my local farmers market stuck indoors.

• Post #291 - July 30th, 2022, 9:53 pm
    Post #291 - July 30th, 2022, 9:53 pm Post #291 - July 30th, 2022, 9:53 pm
    At the delightful Lake County Fair today. Lots to interest someone interested in food -- but one of my favorites was a booth from the delightful young couple that owns Garlic Breath Farms-- Tony and Sharon Pferschy. They from Elburn, IL, and I mentioned that I tend to think meat when I hear Elburn, and Tony responded that yes, most folks think Reams when they hear Elburn, but then Sharon added that there dream is that folks will starting thinking garlic, too.

They had a load of recently harvested garlic -- three different kinds, with different flavor profiles and strength, each one at three different sizes. There were also a fair number of garlic-related products, from garlic hot sauces to pickled garlic scapes to powdered scapes to use in one's cooking. They also had fresh tomatoes, squash, and shishito peppers, but the focus was definitely on the garlic. I loved the pickled garlic scapes and look forward to cooking with their Music garlic.

So if you want to try something a little different, next time you make a meat run to Elburn, you might want to check out these folks, too. Even if you don't want garlic, they're so nice, you might want to try to find them. The link to their website includes a way to find out what farmers' markets or fairs they might be at, as well as allowing for online ordering.
    https://www.garlicbreathfarm.com/

• Post #292 - July 31st, 2022, 8:00 am
    Post #292 - July 31st, 2022, 8:00 am Post #292 - July 31st, 2022, 8:00 am
    When you drive toward Galena, you pass through Elizabeth, IL. This town hosts the Midwest Garlic Fest.

Highwood has a Garlic fest annually, where I have bumped into JazzFood judging the garlic laced food.

If you cannot get to Gilroy, we have options near to us!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #293 - July 31st, 2022, 1:55 pm
    Post #293 - July 31st, 2022, 1:55 pm Post #293 - July 31st, 2022, 1:55 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Highwood has a Garlic fest annually, where I have bumped into JazzFood judging the garlic laced food.
    If you cannot get to Gilroy, we have options near to us!

And the folks from Garlic Breath Farms mentioned that they'll be at the Highwood Garlic Fest this year.

• Post #294 - August 3rd, 2022, 11:59 am
    Post #294 - August 3rd, 2022, 11:59 am Post #294 - August 3rd, 2022, 11:59 am
    This isn't Today's Discovery, but a couple months ago.
    The Mount Prospect Jewel had several jars of Roka Blue Cheese, a Kraft product, on their clearance shelf for like $1.50 (normally $3, I think). "Shelf-stable blue cheese? What could go wrong?" I thought. The expiration date is a couple years out, should be safe. I bought one jar, and it's a mild, spreadable blue cheese. Very tasty. Went back and bought two or three more.
    I just opened my last jar. It may be discontinued (reports of its death are from as long ago as 2007!), it would be nice to pick up a couple more for a quick hit of the blue stuff.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #295 - August 4th, 2022, 1:15 pm
    Post #295 - August 4th, 2022, 1:15 pm Post #295 - August 4th, 2022, 1:15 pm
    JoelF wrote:This isn't Today's Discovery, but a couple months ago.
    The Mount Prospect Jewel had several jars of Roka Blue Cheese, a Kraft product, on their clearance shelf for like $1.50 (normally $3, I think). "Shelf-stable blue cheese? What could go wrong?" I thought. The expiration date is a couple years out, should be safe. I bought one jar, and it's a mild, spreadable blue cheese. Very tasty. Went back and bought two or three more.
    I just opened my last jar. It may be discontinued (reports of its death are from as long ago as 2007!), it would be nice to pick up a couple more for a quick hit of the blue stuff.

My understanding this product was once always available, then it was discontinued. So many people's favorite holiday recipes include Roka Blue, it now returns for the holidays.

Look for it after Halloween ... or maybe September, goodness knows when holidays begin.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #296 - August 4th, 2022, 11:02 pm
    Post #296 - August 4th, 2022, 11:02 pm Post #296 - August 4th, 2022, 11:02 pm
    Or maybe look for it annually on the clearance shelf when the holidays end (February?)
  • Post #297 - August 5th, 2022, 1:14 pm
    Post #297 - August 5th, 2022, 1:14 pm Post #297 - August 5th, 2022, 1:14 pm
    I hadn't heard of Roka Blue before, but it sounds great, and now I'm going to watch for it from November to February. If only Merkts made a spreadable blue cheese ... sigh ...
  • Post #298 - August 5th, 2022, 9:57 pm
    Post #298 - August 5th, 2022, 9:57 pm Post #298 - August 5th, 2022, 9:57 pm
    Katie wrote:I hadn't heard of Roka Blue before, but it sounds great, and now I'm going to watch for it from November to February. If only Merkts made a spreadable blue cheese ... sigh ...

Roka is Kraft's brand name for blue: their blue cheese salad dressing is also branded Roka
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #299 - August 14th, 2022, 8:22 pm
    Post #299 - August 14th, 2022, 8:22 pm Post #299 - August 14th, 2022, 8:22 pm
    At Trader Joe's -- a can of Greek chickpeas with parsley and cumin.

$1.99 -- can is two servings.

Astonishingly good. What a great thing to have in the cupboard on those crazy days when you don't have time to cook.

• Post #300 - August 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    Post #300 - August 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm Post #300 - August 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm
    I was at HMART in Niles this evening and saw a new snack item to me called 'REAL SHRIMP CHEEK by Jung Sae Woo" which I initially thought were something like the popular shrimp chips. But these are actually made of shrimp cheeks as the first ingredient listed. They are pretty expensive on sale for $4.99 (reg $6.99).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more