LTH Home

Wurst Kitchen - Aurora, IL.

Wurst Kitchen - Aurora, IL.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Wurst Kitchen - Aurora, IL.

Post #1 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:15 am
    Post #1 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:15 am Post #1 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:15 am
    A few sporadic mentions of Wurst Kitchen on LTH, ill show some love.

Hit Wurst Kitchen a few weekends ago as part of my bratwurst project. THey had been on my radar for about a year, I was all set to go a few weeks before my visit but chickened out and went to the old standby, Ream's.

A neighborhood butcher/sausage shop. Been around since 1895, and the same family still runs it. Conveniently located a few blocks away from many Mexican markets and restaurants.

A meat case full of fresh brats, sausage, and other tempting items greated us. Friendly, engaging owner, really enjoyed talking about the product he turns out. Also confident, our conversation turned to Ream's, and he had praise for the folks from Elburn, but also said his brats were better. I like confidence in a person, especially when they can back it up, and be respectfull.

I went with the uber garlic brats, the standard brats, andoullie, and some frankfurters. Only while paying did I see veal bologna in the case...., next time. One thing, these brats are not cheap, $6.99/lb if I remember, some of the most expensive I sampoled this summer, but quality comes at a price.

Uber garlic brats were excellent, in the top 3 of the best brats I have searched out this summer from butcher shops and sausage makers in the area. Standard brats were good, really good.

Frankfurters & andoullie are for another day.

I also noticed a walkup lunch counter open during our visit cooking up their product, next time.

uber garlic brats:

brats:

Wurst Kitchen
    638 2nd Ave.
    Aurora, IL.

http://www.wurstkitchen.com
    Last edited by jimswside on August 23rd, 2011, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am
    Post #2 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am Post #2 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am
    ok guess I have to bring a bigger cooler next time down to the area!!! drying wood on the weber??
  • Post #3 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:57 am
    Post #3 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:57 am Post #3 - August 23rd, 2011, 8:57 am
    buzzd wrote: drying wood on the weber??

good catch,

sometimes when using the kettle I just put a chunk of wood on the grate above the fire, really allows it to slowly smoke.
  • Post #4 - August 23rd, 2011, 9:41 am
    Post #4 - August 23rd, 2011, 9:41 am Post #4 - August 23rd, 2011, 9:41 am
    Nice photos Jim! Everything looks delicious! The Wurst Kitchen usually has a stand at many of the local farmer's markets and street fairs in the Aurora area and they are a sponsor of an Oktoberfest in Plano each year. Right now much of Plano is closed due to the filming of the new Superman movie so if you plan o go to that store, call and find out if they are open. The security around the filming is beyond tight.

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/7220793- ... d-set.html
  • Post #5 - August 23rd, 2011, 9:43 am
    Post #5 - August 23rd, 2011, 9:43 am Post #5 - August 23rd, 2011, 9:43 am
    LikestoEatout wrote: The Wurst Kitchen usually has a stand at many of the local farmer's markets and street fairs in the Aurora area and they are a sponsor of an Oktoberfest in Plano each year.

thanks,

The Plano Oktoberfest is in our plans for sure this year.

9/23 - 9/25.

http://www.planooktoberfest.com
  • Post #6 - September 27th, 2011, 7:58 am
    Post #6 - September 27th, 2011, 7:58 am Post #6 - September 27th, 2011, 7:58 am
    jimswside wrote:The Plano Oktoberfest is in our plans for sure this year.

9/23 - 9/25.

http://www.planooktoberfest.com

this event was a lot of fun on Saturday afternoon, all the food done buy the folks @ Wurst Kitchen.

After a visit to the Aurora store and being wowed by their Uber garlic brats I penciled in the Oktoberfest on my schedule. A last minute ticket snafu with one of my 2 tickets for Chicago Gourmet let me stay out west of Chicago where I kind of wanted to be anyway.

THe Oktoberfest tent was a circus tent set up in downtown Plano. Nice set up, and admission was free before 1:00 p.m..

3 beers on tap & some really nice wurst sticks to snack on.

I really enjoyed the kassler rippchen, seriously plastic fork tender. Subtle smoke, nice brine.

Nice event, good food and beer.
  • Post #7 - October 22nd, 2012, 7:19 am
    Post #7 - October 22nd, 2012, 7:19 am Post #7 - October 22nd, 2012, 7:19 am
    Since 1895 man. @ $2/brat they are not cheap, but worth every penny, especially the Uber Garlic brat, maybe my favorite brat around..

grabbed up a dozen of their regular brats & 1/2 dozen Uber Garlics:

Uber Garlics are the "lighter" colored brat with the coarser grind:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more