LTH Home

The other part of the jar (canned pumpkin)

The other part of the jar (canned pumpkin)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The other part of the jar (canned pumpkin)

Post #1 - November 1st, 2010, 7:31 pm
    Post #1 - November 1st, 2010, 7:31 pm Post #1 - November 1st, 2010, 7:31 pm
    So, I've been itching to cook with pumpkin ever since last year...so I bought a couple-three cans and cracked one open to make pumpkin jam swirl muffins, which turned out OK.

Of course, the recipe - like most baking recipes for pumpkin - called for 1 cup of pumpkin. According to Libby's, a 15 oz jar contains 1 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree...so I am casting about for recipes that use that amount.

Thus far, I've found this recipe from Martha Stewart that looks pretty good, and this one is interesting, some whoopie pies, a granola, and a bread pudding.

These are all great possibilities, but I was wondering if you had some ideas about what to do with the extras...not a lot of savory recipes out there with this measurement.
  • Post #2 - November 1st, 2010, 7:35 pm
    Post #2 - November 1st, 2010, 7:35 pm Post #2 - November 1st, 2010, 7:35 pm
    Soup? Easily scaleable...

Jen

P.S. Somewhere to start, although it uses fresh pumpkin:
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pump ... utons.aspx
  • Post #3 - November 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm
    Post #3 - November 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm Post #3 - November 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm
    How about pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin doughnuts, pumpkin cookies? I have that pumpkin granola bookmarked on another blog as well. I will probably make it soon and sub the pistachios with pepitas. I really love the combination of pumpkin and dried cranberries, which I used in this pumpkin bread recipe using shredded fresh pumpkin. Speaking of fresh pumpkin, this recipe looks really good!

Now that we have a dog, we usually give him a little w/his breakfast each day or I use it in homemade dog treats.

Edited to add fresh pumpkin recipes.
    Last edited by Pucca on November 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #4 - November 2nd, 2010, 3:01 pm
    Post #4 - November 2nd, 2010, 3:01 pm Post #4 - November 2nd, 2010, 3:01 pm
    Recently I baked a pumpkin pie for my dad, and after it was cooling did I realize that I never put any sugar in it. Somewhere on this board was a thread about making a pumpkin pie shake by blending up a slice with ice cream and milk. I think you could do the same thing: toss some ice cream, spices, graham crackers or gingersnaps and leftover pumpkin in a blender and have a nice little dessert. Or you can go the healthy route and add yogurt, cranberries and healthy cereal and make a smoothie instead. I recommend the shake/malt. :mrgreen:
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #5 - November 2nd, 2010, 3:11 pm
    Post #5 - November 2nd, 2010, 3:11 pm Post #5 - November 2nd, 2010, 3:11 pm
    A friend gives me a nice loaf of pumpkin bread every year for Christmas. Give that a try using a banana bread recipe.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - November 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm
    Post #6 - November 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm Post #6 - November 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm
    grab a few egg roll wraps, saute some green onions, chili pepper and maybe some cumin, mix with pumpkin paste, stuff in egg roll skins, fry, and voila Afghani kadu bolani.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #7 - November 3rd, 2010, 8:49 am
    Post #7 - November 3rd, 2010, 8:49 am Post #7 - November 3rd, 2010, 8:49 am
    I make pumpkin bread every year around this time, the recipe uses a whole can of pumpkin.

• Post #8 - November 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am
    Post #8 - November 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am Post #8 - November 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am
    A friend gives me a nice loaf of pumpkin bread every year for Christmas. Give that a try using a banana bread recipe

I would suggest just looking for a pumpkin loaf recipe. Banana bread recipes will not have the right spices.

There's a good recipe in the Union Square Cafe cookbook which is also the base for a nice bread pudding with a ginger custard, but I don't know if it's on line.
  • Post #9 - November 3rd, 2010, 6:17 pm
    Post #9 - November 3rd, 2010, 6:17 pm Post #9 - November 3rd, 2010, 6:17 pm
    Pumpkin Brownies. These sound interesting and, if I recall correctly, don't need a whole can.
    Recipes for this can be found on Martha Stewart and epicurious.
    Jyoti
    A meal, with bread and wine, shared with friends and family is among the most essential and important of all human rituals.
    Ruhlman
  • Post #10 - November 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
    Post #10 - November 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm Post #10 - November 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
    Jacques Pepin has an interesting savory pumpkin gratin recipe that I'll be trying soon. That guy is amazing!

mike
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more