LTH Home

The Georgia Freestone peach truck cometh (Tree-Ripe)

The Georgia Freestone peach truck cometh (Tree-Ripe)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 10
  • Post #121 - June 21st, 2013, 3:53 pm
    Post #121 - June 21st, 2013, 3:53 pm Post #121 - June 21st, 2013, 3:53 pm
    Joy wrote:The legendary Georgia Peach truck has just now posted their calendar for July and August 2013 so see you in Gurnee on Saturday July 13! --Joy


    I'll be there, on my way to Wells Bros. in Racine. That will be a great 1-2 punch.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #122 - June 29th, 2013, 3:10 pm
    Post #122 - June 29th, 2013, 3:10 pm Post #122 - June 29th, 2013, 3:10 pm
    Joy wrote:The legendary Georgia Peach truck has just now posted their calendar for July and August 2013 so see you in Gurnee on Saturday July 13! --Joy


    For some reason, I can't link to their calendar--even the PDF version doesn't work for me.
    What time and exactly where will they be in Gurnee?
    Any other Chicagoland stops? Thanks.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

    "You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #123 - June 29th, 2013, 4:12 pm
    Post #123 - June 29th, 2013, 4:12 pm Post #123 - June 29th, 2013, 4:12 pm
    tarte tatin wrote:
    Joy wrote:The legendary Georgia Peach truck has just now posted their calendar for July and August 2013 so see you in Gurnee on Saturday July 13! --Joy


    For some reason, I can't link to their calendar--even the PDF version doesn't work for me.
    What time and exactly where will they be in Gurnee?
    Any other Chicagoland stops? Thanks.


    1:30-3:00pm at the Menard's on Grand Ave. They will be at the same location and same hours on Saturday, August 3rd as well.

    They'll be in Crystal Lake from 10:30-12:00 on the same days. They'll be in Elgin and McHenry on Saturday, July 20th. Champaign on Thursday, July 18th. Kenosha and Racine on Thursday, July 25th.
  • Post #124 - June 29th, 2013, 6:57 pm
    Post #124 - June 29th, 2013, 6:57 pm Post #124 - June 29th, 2013, 6:57 pm
    thanks so much for the info on the delivery for peaches and blueberries! I happened to be in Waupaca WI last year at the right time and got lucky to be one of the first at the truck. I didn't recall the name and have been looking for it for about a week!
  • Post #125 - June 30th, 2013, 3:32 pm
    Post #125 - June 30th, 2013, 3:32 pm Post #125 - June 30th, 2013, 3:32 pm
    ucjames wrote:1:30-3:00pm at the Menard's on Grand Ave. They will be at the same location and same hours on Saturday, August 3rd as well.

    They'll be in Crystal Lake from 10:30-12:00 on the same days. They'll be in Elgin and McHenry on Saturday, July 20th. Champaign on Thursday, July 18th. Kenosha and Racine on Thursday, July 25th.


    Thanks, ucjames!
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

    "You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #126 - July 15th, 2013, 10:19 am
    Post #126 - July 15th, 2013, 10:19 am Post #126 - July 15th, 2013, 10:19 am
    Was able to get 2 boxes of peaches and 2 of blueberries this weekend.
    Delish!
    The lines were crazy and the truck was not very full.
    I hope the people at the back of the line were not "shut out"
    Made blueberry jam on Sun-looks like it turned out good (for once!)
    Maybe I'll sample some tomorrow morning...
    Almost makes me wish my blueberry loving boy was home from camp, almost.
    mmmmm
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #127 - July 16th, 2013, 8:36 am
    Post #127 - July 16th, 2013, 8:36 am Post #127 - July 16th, 2013, 8:36 am
    Opps, just saw the pricing on their website.

    Just curious, what was the price on a case of peaches?
  • Post #128 - June 11th, 2014, 2:02 pm
    Post #128 - June 11th, 2014, 2:02 pm Post #128 - June 11th, 2014, 2:02 pm
    The peach truck schedule for 2014 has been posted. Looks like there will be some buying opportunities within easy reach of Chicago during the first week of July (and other times, too).
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #129 - June 8th, 2015, 6:28 am
    Post #129 - June 8th, 2015, 6:28 am Post #129 - June 8th, 2015, 6:28 am
    2015 Schedule posted.http://www.tree-ripe.com/calendar/
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #130 - June 8th, 2015, 8:19 am
    Post #130 - June 8th, 2015, 8:19 am Post #130 - June 8th, 2015, 8:19 am
    GURNEE, IL
    Menards
    6401 Grand Ave (Route 132)
    Gurnee, IL

    We will be visiting on: Saturday June 27th from 1:30pm-3:00pm

    If anyone plans on going on the June 27th - please let me know if you are willing to get a box of peaches for me.
    I am out of town until July 1st, and would be so glad to compensate you for one . :D
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #131 - June 10th, 2015, 12:10 am
    Post #131 - June 10th, 2015, 12:10 am Post #131 - June 10th, 2015, 12:10 am
    irisarbor wrote:GURNEE, IL
    Menards
    6401 Grand Ave (Route 132)
    Gurnee, IL

    We will be visiting on: Saturday June 27th from 1:30pm-3:00pm

    If anyone plans on going on the June 27th - please let me know if you are willing to get a box of peaches for me.
    I am out of town until July 1st, and would be so glad to compensate you for one . :D


    I am also interested in this. I can take 1/2 a box. Hopefully we will get enough people interested in order to make delivery possible to closer to thus urban oasis.
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #132 - June 10th, 2015, 5:49 am
    Post #132 - June 10th, 2015, 5:49 am Post #132 - June 10th, 2015, 5:49 am
    Last couple of days I've been scoring some small-but-dynamite Georgia peaches at Garden Fresh/Mundelein, and they've been outstanding. Eat-over-the-sink juicy, sweet flesh vs. tart skin. Dunno if they're Freestones, but at 99 cents a pound I've been buying 20 at a crack. Made a special trip yesterday.

    And knowing the way that Adi Mor and his group buy, I would imagine these peaches are readily available at all Garden Fresh locations, but once they're gone, they're gone.
  • Post #133 - June 10th, 2015, 12:25 pm
    Post #133 - June 10th, 2015, 12:25 pm Post #133 - June 10th, 2015, 12:25 pm
    bean wrote:Hopefully we will get enough people interested in order to make delivery possible to closer to thus urban oasis.

    They're at the Menards on Clybourn July 18th.
  • Post #134 - June 10th, 2015, 4:03 pm
    Post #134 - June 10th, 2015, 4:03 pm Post #134 - June 10th, 2015, 4:03 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    bean wrote:Hopefully we will get enough people interested in order to make delivery possible to closer to thus urban oasis.

    They're at the Menards on Clybourn July 18th.


    It's now on my calender. Thanks!
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #135 - June 10th, 2015, 4:09 pm
    Post #135 - June 10th, 2015, 4:09 pm Post #135 - June 10th, 2015, 4:09 pm
    bean wrote:
    cilantro wrote:
    bean wrote:Hopefully we will get enough people interested in order to make delivery possible to closer to thus urban oasis.

    They're at the Menards on Clybourn July 18th.


    Are there specific hours? Cash only?
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #136 - June 10th, 2015, 4:16 pm
    Post #136 - June 10th, 2015, 4:16 pm Post #136 - June 10th, 2015, 4:16 pm
    bean wrote:
    Are there specific hours? Cash only?


    Check the link I posted. All of the details, including the hours, are listed on their calendar. Cash and checks only. No plastic.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #137 - June 10th, 2015, 4:55 pm
    Post #137 - June 10th, 2015, 4:55 pm Post #137 - June 10th, 2015, 4:55 pm
    Thanks for the link. I was looking @ June rather than July. Sorry to be so dim.

    Will I ever see you @ Montrose Beach?

    Best wishes,

    b
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #138 - June 10th, 2015, 9:03 pm
    Post #138 - June 10th, 2015, 9:03 pm Post #138 - June 10th, 2015, 9:03 pm
    wooo hoo! In Morton Grove in July! I hope they bring blueberries too.

    Morton Grove, IL
    Saturday, July 18, 2015
    1:30pm – 3:00pm

    Menards
    6301 Oakton St, Morton Grove, IL
  • Post #139 - June 11th, 2015, 1:02 pm
    Post #139 - June 11th, 2015, 1:02 pm Post #139 - June 11th, 2015, 1:02 pm
    Morton Grove!!!!
    They have never come to Morton Grove before!
    How great!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #140 - June 15th, 2015, 8:12 am
    Post #140 - June 15th, 2015, 8:12 am Post #140 - June 15th, 2015, 8:12 am
    irisarbor wrote:Morton Grove!!!!
    They have never come to Morton Grove before!
    How great!


    Forget Morton Grove, NEWS FLASH they are coming to CHICAGO on July 18th at Menard's, 2601 N Clybourn Ave. 10:30 am-12pm

    I can simply Uber/Lyft/Sidecar with my peaches and blueberries on board.

    Elated! Maybe they kept seeing Chicago checks.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #141 - June 15th, 2015, 3:10 pm
    Post #141 - June 15th, 2015, 3:10 pm Post #141 - June 15th, 2015, 3:10 pm
    They will be in Batavia on July 11th for any western suburban people.
    Toria

    "I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #142 - June 16th, 2015, 8:14 pm
    Post #142 - June 16th, 2015, 8:14 pm Post #142 - June 16th, 2015, 8:14 pm
    According to their 2015 mailer, peaches are $38 for 1/2 bushel appx 25 lbs, and blueberries about $18 for 5 lb box.
  • Post #143 - June 28th, 2015, 7:10 am
    Post #143 - June 28th, 2015, 7:10 am Post #143 - June 28th, 2015, 7:10 am
    This year's crop is very good. The peaches are a little smaller than last year, but the flavor is intense. Last night, I made a peach salsa that I served with some maple brined pork chops and it was a big hit. My favorite way to eat these peaches remains au natural out of hand. They are so much better than any of the locally grown peaches from Michigan that it's almost like they are a different fruit.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #144 - June 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm
    Post #144 - June 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm Post #144 - June 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm
    stevez wrote:This year's crop is very good. The peaches are a little smaller than last year, but the flavor is intense. Last night, I made a peach salsa that I served with some maple brined pork chops and it was a big hit. My favorite way to eat these peaches remains au natural out of hand. They are so much better than any of the locally grown peaches from Michigan that it's almost like they are a different fruit.


    Agreed that the early shipment this year is a tad on the small size. Made the first of my usual 2 runs to the Menard's in Gurnee yesterday. Very sweet and juicy, as usual. I've grown tired of debates with folks that grew up here (I'm from the SE) that there really is a difference between GA/SC peaches and MI's and just leave them to their own (their loss). Hoping that the subsequent shipments yield a little larger variety. In the meantime enjoying some delicious freshness, makes a great afternoon pick-me-up at my desk at work.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #145 - July 1st, 2015, 10:32 am
    Post #145 - July 1st, 2015, 10:32 am Post #145 - July 1st, 2015, 10:32 am
    Steve was kind enough to bring me a bunch of peaches from the most recent stop, which I really appreciated. I thought they smelled great but also thought that they were very tart and lacked sweetness. That and their small size made it seem like maybe they were picked too early. They don't get sweeter after they're picked, only softer. That seemed to be the case with this most recent batch. I ended up cooking with them, instead of eating them out of hand, which was still a great option.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #146 - July 1st, 2015, 6:39 pm
    Post #146 - July 1st, 2015, 6:39 pm Post #146 - July 1st, 2015, 6:39 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Steve was kind enough to bring me a bunch of peaches from the most recent stop, which I really appreciated. I thought they smelled great but also thought that they were very tart and lacked sweetness. That and their small size made it seem like maybe they were picked too early. They don't get sweeter after they're picked, only softer. That seemed to be the case with this most recent batch. I ended up cooking with them, instead of eating them out of hand, which was still a great option.

    =R=


    I can report that our batch (Gurnee, June27) is very sweet and juicy.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #147 - July 2nd, 2015, 4:05 pm
    Post #147 - July 2nd, 2015, 4:05 pm Post #147 - July 2nd, 2015, 4:05 pm
    The ones I bought on June 28 are definitely not as sweet as I'm used to. Still very good, though.
  • Post #148 - July 4th, 2015, 7:38 pm
    Post #148 - July 4th, 2015, 7:38 pm Post #148 - July 4th, 2015, 7:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Steve was kind enough to bring me a bunch of peaches from the most recent stop, which I really appreciated. I thought they smelled great but also thought that they were very tart and lacked sweetness. That and their small size made it seem like maybe they were picked too early. They don't get sweeter after they're picked, only softer. That seemed to be the case with this most recent batch. I ended up cooking with them, instead of eating them out of hand, which was still a great option.

    =R=

    I live just outside the prime peach growing area in Georgia and I can report from first hand experience that not only do peaches soften after picking, they actually DO get sweeter. The pickers at Lane Southern Orchards (world's largest peach operation) pick peaches 2 days before they expect peak texture/taste. They are rock-hard with no aroma. Two days later, sweet, aromatic and juicy. I know science says this isn't so, but my taste buds say different.
  • Post #149 - July 4th, 2015, 9:28 pm
    Post #149 - July 4th, 2015, 9:28 pm Post #149 - July 4th, 2015, 9:28 pm
    little500 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Steve was kind enough to bring me a bunch of peaches from the most recent stop, which I really appreciated. I thought they smelled great but also thought that they were very tart and lacked sweetness. That and their small size made it seem like maybe they were picked too early. They don't get sweeter after they're picked, only softer. That seemed to be the case with this most recent batch. I ended up cooking with them, instead of eating them out of hand, which was still a great option.

    =R=

    I live just outside the prime peach growing area in Georgia and I can report from first hand experience that not only do peaches soften after picking, they actually DO get sweeter. The pickers at Lane Southern Orchards (world's largest peach operation) pick peaches 2 days before they expect peak texture/taste. They are rock-hard with no aroma. Two days later, sweet, aromatic and juicy. I know science says this isn't so, but my taste buds say different.

    Yeah, not only does my experience vary 180 degrees from yours but all I've read on the subject indicates that peaches don't get sweeter after picking. Who knows, maybe there's some variation between varieties?

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #150 - July 5th, 2015, 5:36 am
    Post #150 - July 5th, 2015, 5:36 am Post #150 - July 5th, 2015, 5:36 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    little500 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Steve was kind enough to bring me a bunch of peaches from the most recent stop, which I really appreciated. I thought they smelled great but also thought that they were very tart and lacked sweetness. That and their small size made it seem like maybe they were picked too early. They don't get sweeter after they're picked, only softer. That seemed to be the case with this most recent batch. I ended up cooking with them, instead of eating them out of hand, which was still a great option.

    =R=

    I live just outside the prime peach growing area in Georgia and I can report from first hand experience that not only do peaches soften after picking, they actually DO get sweeter. The pickers at Lane Southern Orchards (world's largest peach operation) pick peaches 2 days before they expect peak texture/taste. They are rock-hard with no aroma. Two days later, sweet, aromatic and juicy. I know science says this isn't so, but my taste buds say different.

    Yeah, not only does my experience vary 180 degrees from yours but all I've read on the subject indicates that peaches don't get sweeter after picking. Who knows, maybe there's some variation between varieties?

    =R=

    The peaches we see at places like Kroger are rock hard, "fuzzless", and have absolutely zero aroma. Two days later after sitting on the kitchen counter they are soft, and the whole room is perfumed with peach. For several years after moving here I did not buy the hard peaches, but after talking with a worker at Lane I am quite happy to load up on them. I suppose variety could have something to do with it; Lane grows 37 of them.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more