LTH Home

Evanston Farmers Market

Evanston Farmers Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 15 of 17
  • Post #421 - June 4th, 2022, 3:28 pm
    Post #421 - June 4th, 2022, 3:28 pm Post #421 - June 4th, 2022, 3:28 pm
    NFriday wrote:I wish some of the people waiting in line for the food, would also buy some stuff from some of the farmers.
    While I wish the farmers well in their sales, I don't mind the idea of people only coming for prepared foods. To each their own. If you don't cook much, most of the offerings aren't practical to purchase. I like the smell of cooking even though I only shop for ingredients myself. That crepe line at 11am was impressive. If there's an imbalance hopefully the market adjusts the cost for vendors based on whether they serve warm food, assuming there's already a discrepancy of some sort.
  • Post #422 - June 17th, 2022, 10:01 pm
    Post #422 - June 17th, 2022, 10:01 pm Post #422 - June 17th, 2022, 10:01 pm
    Hi- Due to the hot weather we have had this week, there will be loads of strawberries at the market tomorrow. I know they are more expensive, but they are way better than the California strawberries Jewel is selling this week for $.99.

This should be about it for the asparagus. Henry is bringing lots of lettuce this week. Henry had to pick all of his lettuce today, because it is supposed to get really hot again this next week, and he is afraid that it will all bolt if he waits to pick the lettuce. He is selling it 2/$7. Henry says his boston lettuce is especially good. He is also bringing some chicories Henry is also bringing the last of the spinach, rhubarb, peas and kohlrabi. Henry is bringing some broccoli and cauliflower tomorrow too. His broccoli and cauliflower did not do well this year, and so he does not know how much more he will bring to market this summer. Get it while you can. K & K Farms are coming tomorrow with strawberries. They should have raspberries and cherries in a few weeks.
  • Post #423 - July 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm
    Post #423 - July 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm Post #423 - July 1st, 2022, 9:28 pm
    Hi- Henry does not have any lettuce or spinach tomorrow. Nichols might have some. Henry has Japanese eggplant, zucchini, onions, kale, beets, carrots, swiss chard, and the first of his garlic and basil. He also has some black currents and some of Teresa's gooseberries and blueberries but come early for those. Henry is going to have a few cabbages too tomorrow, but his broccoli and cabbage crops are small this year, and get it while you can.

The manager of the Evanston market posted on her Facebook page that there are going to be strawberries tomorrow, but I would be really surprised if there are many strawberries left. Jewel still has strawberries for $.99, but the ones I got last night are really ripe, and I had to throw some of them out. Asparagus is done for the year. There should be some cherries tomorrow, and they are going to be better than any of the NW cherries that are in the stores right now. There might be a few blueberries tomorrow too, and K & K Farms should have some of their red raspberries. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #424 - July 15th, 2022, 10:20 am
    Post #424 - July 15th, 2022, 10:20 am Post #424 - July 15th, 2022, 10:20 am
    A friend in New Hampshire sent this list from a u-pick farm near her:

BLUEBERRY PICKING

We are just getting started and the patch is filling in nicely. Patriot, Blue Crop, Duke, and Blue Ray are the available varieties right now. There is a big crop to pick this season!

Price
    $4.59/lb < 6.5lbs
    $3.99/lb > 6.5+lbs (+/- 4 qts)

RASPBERRY PICKING

This will be the third week of raspberries.

Prelude, Nova, and Encore are all available now for picking. Call ahead for the daily picking details, picking conditions tend to change quickly and may not be available every day.

Raspberries should be available through most of July

Price $6.99/lb

CHERRY PICKING

Sweet cherries

Are all done for the season. Thank you everyone for a quick and efficient harvest. (They were priced the same as the tart cherries.)

Tart cherries

Montmorency will begin it's harvest Wednesday July 13th. Balaton will begin Friday July 15th. Our best crop of tarts we've seen in years. Picking should last for at least a day in each variety.

Price: $6.49/lb

STRAWBERRY PICKING
    Are all done for the season! Thank you everyone for being part of our best harvest ever!

CIDER HOUSE

This is where you will find our very own hard cider, available for tastings on the outdoor patio and growler filling so you can take some home. You will also find locally made pies, the usual resale items and fresh baked donuts. Keep in mind donuts may not be available within 30 minutes of closing time. Visit the Cider House page for more info!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #425 - July 15th, 2022, 11:42 am
    Post #425 - July 15th, 2022, 11:42 am Post #425 - July 15th, 2022, 11:42 am
    $6.49 for sour cherries? They can go to my sister's in Michigan and get them at her fruit stand for $1.49 a pound. Last time I checked her Facebook page on Wednesday, she had her black sweet cherries on clearance for $4.49 a pound, or ten pounds for $39.99. I know you can get them cheaper at Mariano's and Aldi's this week, but hers are way better. BTW- She will start upicking peaches on 8/13. She has 100% of a crop of peaches, and so she has lots of peaches to upick this year. She also has them on sale at her fruit stand probably in another week. She is located at exit 39 on I94 at Coloma.
    https://www.fruitacresfarm.com/
  • Post #426 - July 15th, 2022, 11:49 am
    Post #426 - July 15th, 2022, 11:49 am Post #426 - July 15th, 2022, 11:49 am
    It's a long drive from New Hampshire, though :lol:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #427 - July 15th, 2022, 12:06 pm
    Post #427 - July 15th, 2022, 12:06 pm Post #427 - July 15th, 2022, 12:06 pm
    I am sure there are not many cherries grown in New Hampshire, but in Michigan the processor pays I believe $1 a pound for sours. They used to pay $.20 a pound, until about four years ago, when Michigan had a really small crop of sours, and the processors were desperate to get them, and raised the price to $1. Michigan raises more sour cherries than any other state, and most of them are machine picked.
  • Post #428 - July 15th, 2022, 12:27 pm
    Post #428 - July 15th, 2022, 12:27 pm Post #428 - July 15th, 2022, 12:27 pm
    I just checked the Facebook page for the Evanston farmers market, and they are going to be having some corn and peaches tomorrow. I don't expect them to have lots of corn tomorrow, and it will probably be better next week. I saw somebody selling corn there last week, but it was $1 an ear, and did not look that great. It was way too immature. I am going to miss Jon First's corn. Nichols corn is good, but it is usually more expensive.

Henry is bringing a few of his new potatoes, as well as garlic, amaranth, swiss chard, and lots of beets and carrots. He is also bringing the first of his leeks and tomatoes, and lots of onions and zucchini.

There should be lots of raspberries, cherries, and blueberries tomorrow too. This might be the last week for the black raspberries. When I was in Mariano's on Tuesday, they had blueberries from Peru. I think strawberries are finally done for the year.

BTW- There is going to be 100% of a crop of peaches in Michigan this summer, and so please go to the farmer's market to buy your peaches this summer, unless you plan on going to Michigan to upick peaches. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #429 - July 23rd, 2022, 1:25 pm
    Post #429 - July 23rd, 2022, 1:25 pm Post #429 - July 23rd, 2022, 1:25 pm
    Hi- Lake Breeze Organics was giving away free bags of lettuce today, and they had organic blueberries for $5 a pint, which was cheaper than most of the other growers there selling blueberries. Lake Breeze did not have prices on any of their stuff though, and the only reason I knew the lettuce was free was because somebody asked how much the lettuce was. The new farmer from South Haven that is near Henry, had blueberries for $6 a quart today. I got the $.99 blueberries at Jewel on Thursday, and they were from Michigan, and they were okay. I also got some black cherries and rainers from Jewel that were on sale. The rainer cherries were okay, but the black cherries I did not care for. I bought a quart of rainers from K & K today, and they were really good, but they were more than what Jewel was selling them for. I also bought a quart of Early Star peaches from K & K. That is one of the peach variates my sister Annette bred. Hope this helps, Nancy

I went to Ravinia for a CSO concert last night with some friends of mine, and I brought the last of the cherries I had from the farmers market, as well as some of the cherries I purchased at Jewel. There were only four cherries left out of a whole quart, and people were commenting how good the cherries were. Those people are not used to only eating really good cherries.

I was only going to get a few ears of corn from Nichols because the ones at the top of the pile were picked over. Then Todd Nichols came over and poured a new crate of corn on top of the pile, and those were much better, and so I got 6 ears for $5.
  • Post #430 - August 6th, 2022, 11:43 am
    Post #430 - August 6th, 2022, 11:43 am Post #430 - August 6th, 2022, 11:43 am
    Hi- I am just here to vent. I had periodontal surgery on Wednesday, and I have stitches in the section of my mouth they worked on, and so I had to pass on corn today. I decided to make some potato leek soup, and the potatoes at Nichols are $4.99 a pound, and so I passed on them, and paid $4 for a bunch of leeks, and bought two pints of potatoes at Henry's for $7. I was tempted to buy some more Michigan cherries that were really good last week, but they were $14 a quart, and it is going to be a few days before I can eat them. I bought two pints of organic blueberries from Lake Breeze for $5 a pint, which are cheaper than most of the other farmers there, and they are really good.

Henry was supposed to have some seconds of Yukon Gold potatoes for 1/2 price, but they were all sold out by the time I got there. I don't know why Nichols think they can get away with selling all of their potatoes for $4.99 a pound. Their tomatoes were $6 a pound, when Henry's organic tomatoes were only $5 a pound. Nichols had all of their tropical melons for $4, but they were all really small, except for one large one that had a cut. I ended up buying that one.

I really like to help out the farmers, but it seems like prices have gone way up since the pandemic started, and especially for Nichols. I miss Jon First. There is somebody there selling blueberries for $6 a quart, but they are not as good as the ones at Lake Breeze.
  • Post #431 - August 6th, 2022, 12:58 pm
    Post #431 - August 6th, 2022, 12:58 pm Post #431 - August 6th, 2022, 12:58 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I am just here to vent . . .

LOL, join the club! :lol:

In all seriousness, I hope you feel better soon, and thanks for the report.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #432 - August 8th, 2022, 3:01 am
    Post #432 - August 8th, 2022, 3:01 am Post #432 - August 8th, 2022, 3:01 am
    The tropical melon that I bought from Nichols on Saturday was not bad. It had a cut in it, and it had a section where somebody poked a hole in it, but I decided to take a chance on it, because it was over twice the size of any of the other melons. It is large enough for four large servings. I love their tropical cantaloupes. Henry was supposed to have a few melons too, but he was out of them by the time I got there. I bought a huge heirloom zucchini from Henry Saturday, and I am going to make some cold buttermilk and zucchini soup. I am also going to make some potato leek soup, which I love. One of the pints of potatoes I got from Henry contained Peter Wilcox potatoes, which is supposed to be loaded with antioxidants.
  • Post #433 - August 12th, 2022, 1:50 pm
    Post #433 - August 12th, 2022, 1:50 pm Post #433 - August 12th, 2022, 1:50 pm
    Hi- Henry is bringing lots of melons tomorrow. Most of his melons ripened this week because it has been dry there. He usually charges $.80 a pound for them though, but they are wonderful, and he always has free samples. Henry is finally going to bring a lot of tomatoes tomorrow too. Let's hope he has some #2's. His tomatoes were $5 a pound last week, which is more than I am willing to spend. I ended up getting a huge zucchini, a bunch of Japanese scallions and some potatoes from Henry last week. Nichols potatoes were $4.99 a pound, which I refuse to spend. I did end up getting a tropical melon from Nichols last week for $4 that was good, and some leeks. Nichols also has the best sweet corn too.

There is a new farmer there this year who is Asian, who is maybe three spots down from Henry. I noticed last week that he had large bunches of kale for $2, and five large heads of garlic for $5. Has anybody bought any thing from him?

Red Haven peaches should be abundant tomorrow. Those are some of the best peaches for canning and making pies, because the pit comes off the peach, and they taste wonderful too. Blueberries are probably winding down. Lake Breeze has some of the cheapest blueberries. They are only $5 a pint, and they are organic, and are wonderful. Somebody else from Michigan sells blueberries for $6 a quart, but I tried one last week, and they are not as good. Cherries I suspect are about done for the year. Last week somebody had cherries from Traverse that looked really good, but were $14 for a quart of cherries. Hope this help, Nancy
  • Post #434 - August 12th, 2022, 5:37 pm
    Post #434 - August 12th, 2022, 5:37 pm Post #434 - August 12th, 2022, 5:37 pm
    NFriday wrote:There is a new farmer there this year who is Asian, who is maybe three spots down from Henry. I noticed last week that he had large bunches of kale for $2, and five large heads of garlic for $5. Has anybody bought any thing from him?
    Yea, green onions, and I think something else about a month ago I can't recall. Henry had some shallots 3 weeks ago that were really great. I haven't seen them since.
  • Post #435 - August 13th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Post #435 - August 13th, 2022, 12:56 pm Post #435 - August 13th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    American Farmland Trust id celebrating farmer's market week right now, and they have a contest going on right now, where you can nominate your favorite farmer's market to be the best in the country. They are going to give a total of $10,000 to the winner. You can check and see how your market is doing. Evanston is currently 6th in the state, being overtaken by Oak Park. The farmer's market in Crystal Lake is currently #1 in the state. Here is the link to vote for your favorite farmers market,
    https://markets.farmland.org/state-rank ... arket+Week

I got to the market too late to get any of Henry's melons, but I did get a few of his tomatoes. The heirloom ones were $5 a pound, and the conventional ones were $3 a pound. Henry had quarts of yukon gold potatoes for $5 a quart. I still have some left over from last week, and so I passed.

I got some corn from Nichols, but it was not as mature this week. Nichols had all of their melons marked down to 3/$10, and so I got two tropical ones and one lambkin melon. The lambkin one should be ready in two days. The tropical ones are ripe now. I am going to take the lambkin one to the Tarte Tatin picnic on Tuesday at Larimer Park in Evanston.

I also got some blueberries from Lake Breeze and they also had some #2 organic peaches for $5 a quart. I bought two quarts of peaches, and I bought some #2 peaches from K & K Farms too. I am going to make some peach cobbler.

I noticed that Kennikinnick Farms that used to come to the Evanston market, is now doing special order. You can order and pay in advance, and then pick up at one of their four drop off locations. The location in Evanston is at Roycemore School, which is right across the street from me. They have eggs, poultry, sausage and veggies you can order. The veggie box is $35. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #436 - September 6th, 2022, 4:00 pm
    Post #436 - September 6th, 2022, 4:00 pm Post #436 - September 6th, 2022, 4:00 pm
    I noticed a chef I'd seen on the Food Network a couple times (not the lead behind any shows) shopping at EFM on Saturday. It was Jonathan Sawyer, who I thought had restaurants in Cleveland. He checked on chanterelles with River Valley and was later buying stuff from Henry's.

Turns out he's now the head chef at a restaurant named Adorn in the Gold Coast. I wonder if he was shopping for trial recipes or just personal use.

https://www.adornrestaurant.com/
  • Post #437 - September 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm
    Post #437 - September 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm Post #437 - September 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm
    Hi- Henry is running a special on #2 tomatoes. He is selling one peck of #2 tomatoes for $25, Each peck container has 12.5 pounds of tomatoes. Henry was going to do a preorder for this, but he decided to just display them when he opens tomorrow morning, and when they sell out, they sell out. If you want some, get there early. A lot of them are ripe, and so they should be used up soon, and so can or freeze them when you get them home tomorrow. A lot of people make sauce with them. Henry is also having a special on bulk beefsteak tomatoes. These do not include the heirlooms. Henry is also going to have lots of lettuce tomorrow, and peppers.

Last week I got to the market at 11:30, and K & K Farms, which is where I buy most of my peaches, was just selling the last of their peaches. I had to buy peaches from somebody else, that were not as good. Koeningshof's are the only grower as far as I know that sells #2 peaches and apples for less money.

The corn I got from Nichol's last week was very good, and so was the tropical melons I bought. zucchini is winding down, and this might be the last week for blueberries. When I was in Whole Foods last Sunday, all of their blueberries were from Peru. There still should be lots of peaches and raspberries tomorrow, and fall apples. Melons might be winding down, as well as corn.

I am waiting for Nichols to put their red peppers on sale. I buy a whole bunch when they do, and then I cut them up, and put them on a cookie sheet, so they will individually freeze. I then have red peppers all winter. I am also waiting for a deal on fresh basil for pesto. I used to get it really cheap from Jon First, but he is not coming to market any more. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #438 - September 9th, 2022, 6:17 pm
    Post #438 - September 9th, 2022, 6:17 pm Post #438 - September 9th, 2022, 6:17 pm
    NFriday wrote:I am waiting for Nichols to put their red peppers on sale. I buy a whole bunch when they do, and then I cut them up, and put them on a cookie sheet, so they will individually freeze. I then have red peppers all winter. I am also waiting for a deal on fresh basil for pesto. I used to get it really cheap from Jon First, but he is not coming to market any more.
    Red bell peppers? Nichols already seems to have the best value of those, which isn't always or often the case. The containers on the north end of their setup has really large red, yellow and green peppers for $1/per. Another place has sweet peppers for 75 cents, but they're half the size. Others have smaller peppers for $1 or more. Agreed about missing First Orchards.
  • Post #439 - September 9th, 2022, 7:15 pm
    Post #439 - September 9th, 2022, 7:15 pm Post #439 - September 9th, 2022, 7:15 pm
    I usually get them for anywhere from 2/$1, to 4/$1. When they mark them down that cheap you have to buy lots, like 10/$5, or 15/$5. People invariably tell ,e they can't use that many, and I tell them how I freeze them. They are really easy to freeze, and I usually freeze about thirty of them. Before the pandemic, I used to check all of the stands before I bought anything, to see who had the best deals, but now, since the market is spread out, it is more difficult to do that. Two weeks ago, I saw somebody buy a lot of plum tomatoes at Lake Breeze. I assume she got a really good deal, because she took all of them but two. One week I got free lettuce from them. I just wish they would have signs up with their prices. Their blueberries were $5 a pint for certified organic blueberries all season, whereas most of the growers were 2/$14.
  • Post #440 - September 9th, 2022, 11:05 pm
    Post #440 - September 9th, 2022, 11:05 pm Post #440 - September 9th, 2022, 11:05 pm
    I just received another email from Henry, and he is running a bulk tomato special this morning. He is bringing over 2,000 pounds of tomatoes to market this morning, that need to get sold, and don't forget the pecks of #2 tomatoes that he is selling for $25. Get there early to get those.
  • Post #441 - September 10th, 2022, 9:44 pm
    Post #441 - September 10th, 2022, 9:44 pm Post #441 - September 10th, 2022, 9:44 pm
    I thought I posted this this afternoon, but I just realized I did not send it. I made it to the market around 11:30 today, and Henry still had lots of tomatoes to sell, including a few pecks of the #2 tomatoes. The heirlooms were $8 a quart, or three pounds for $12. He also had a few mesclan left. Koeningshof's had lots of peaches today for a change, and I got some #2 peaches for really cheap.

The people from South Haven, that are around the corner from Henry, had broccoli and cauliflower for sale. The sign said $3, and I asked if the broccoli was $3, and he told me he had an end of market price of $2 for a huge stalk of broccoli, and I asked how much the cauliflower was, and he told me that was also $2, for a huge head of cauliflower, and so I ended up getting both.

Nichols had all of his sugar cube melons for 4/$10, but he told me he is about done picking them. I ended up getting four of them, and I gave one to a friend. I also got some corn from Nichols, but I had to dig down to find some decent corn.
  • Post #442 - September 11th, 2022, 3:10 pm
    Post #442 - September 11th, 2022, 3:10 pm Post #442 - September 11th, 2022, 3:10 pm
    I forgot to mention that Henry is looking for additional help on Saturday mornings for his stand at the market. If you work for him, you get all of the free produce you want, and he has some of the best produce at the Evanston market. I bought three pounds of his wonderful heirloom tomatoes yesterday, as well as a bag of his mesclun that I love.
  • Post #443 - September 15th, 2022, 9:45 pm
    Post #443 - September 15th, 2022, 9:45 pm Post #443 - September 15th, 2022, 9:45 pm
    Hi- I got an email today from Henry telling me that he is going to have a bumper crop of tomatoes on Saturday, He is taking bulk orders on pecks of tomatoes. Pecks hold at least 12 pounds of tomatoes.

He is selling Hybrid beefsteak tomatoes for $30 a peck
    Hybrid beefsteak tomato seconds for $15 a peck
    Roma tomatoes for $30 a peck
    Heirloom tomato seconds for $25 a peck

These pecks will be sold preorder only. You must text Henry by noon tomorrow 9/16, at 309-231-8353, and give him your name, and what you want to order, and tell him whether you will accept substitutions, and then pick up your tomatoes on Saturday 9/17 at the Evanston market. Saturday he will also have Heirloom tomatoes for sale for $45 a peck, and cherry tomatoes for 2 pints for $8. His tomatoes are wonderful. He had a lot of tomatoes left over last Saturday. Henry is also still looking for helpers for the market,
  • Post #444 - September 16th, 2022, 10:30 pm
    Post #444 - September 16th, 2022, 10:30 pm Post #444 - September 16th, 2022, 10:30 pm
    Andre and Heather from Soul and Smoke will be cooking from 9:00-11:00 tomorrow morning at the Evanston Farmers Market. Food samples will be available to try.

Blueberries are winding down at the market. I was at Jewel and Whole Foods tonight, and they both only had blueberries from Peru. Melons are winding down too. Peaches should be available for a few more weeks. Don't forget Henry's wonderful tomatoes.
  • Post #445 - September 29th, 2022, 10:50 pm
    Post #445 - September 29th, 2022, 10:50 pm Post #445 - September 29th, 2022, 10:50 pm
    I just got an email from Henry Brockman, and he is having his annual potluck and farm tour this Saturday, and so he needs to leave the market by 11:00am. That means he will start loading up at 10:30. His basil got hit by frost this week, but nothing else did. He will still have lots of beefsteak and roma tomatoes this Saturday, and he will have specials on pecks. He will have lots of peppers too. The frost actually sweetened a lot of his greens. He will also have the first of the chinese cabbage, and he will have lots of lettuce. I love his mesclun, but the last two weeks there was lots of water in the bottom of the bags, and so I had to throw some of it out. I might get some of the leaf lettuce instead this week. Zucchini, eggplant and beans are winding down, and so get them while you can.

I bought corn from Nichols last week, and the sign said that was the last of the corn. I would not be surprised if he finds some more corn to bring this Saturday, or somebody else will bring corn. K & K Farms told me last week that they probably would not have any more peaches, but they might. I am sure somebody else will bring peaches this Saturday. Koeningshof's though have the best peaches, and they are the only ones that sell #2 peaches for less money.

Henry's sister showed up last week, and I bought some #2 pears from her. She was out of the Asian pears, but she said she is bringing more Asian pears the end of October, and they are going to be larger than the ones she had this last Saturday.

I am still waiting for Nichol's to put their peppers on sale. Currently it is $1 a head, but usually sometime in the fall, they put it on sale for 20/$10 or even cheaper. November 5th is going to be the last day of the regular market. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #446 - September 30th, 2022, 6:07 am
    Post #446 - September 30th, 2022, 6:07 am Post #446 - September 30th, 2022, 6:07 am
    I tried Katic Bread's english muffins for the first time last week and they are AMAZING! They toast up great; are very buttery, yeasty, thick, just outstanding! They are located in the south west corner of the market.
  • Post #447 - September 30th, 2022, 10:57 pm
    Post #447 - September 30th, 2022, 10:57 pm Post #447 - September 30th, 2022, 10:57 pm
    I got another email from Henry that he is not closing the market at 11:00. Henry's stall is going to be open like usual until 1:00, but Henry recommends that you get there earlier to get the best selection. Henry is going to have a little bit of spinach, as well as lots of endive, frisee and escarole. It sounds like this is going to be the last big week for tomatoes though.
  • Post #448 - October 1st, 2022, 1:31 pm
    Post #448 - October 1st, 2022, 1:31 pm Post #448 - October 1st, 2022, 1:31 pm
    Nichols still had corn today. K & K Farms had both peaches and blueberries. I asked about the blueberries, and they are freshly picked from their regular supplier in St. Joe, and they might have some more next week. They were surprised that they were still picking. This is probably going to be the last week for peaches though.

Nichols had their red peppers on sale for 10/$5, and so I bought 20 of them. I am going to freeze most of them. Henry still had his heirloom tomatoes for 3 pounds for $12, but he did not have as many to choose from this week.
  • Post #449 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:51 pm
    Post #449 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:51 pm Post #449 - October 2nd, 2022, 11:51 pm
    Is there anybody at the Evanston market that carries green onions similar to what you buy at the grocery store. I know Henry has Asian green onions that are at least twice as tall as regular green onions, and he charges $3.50 for them. Nichols charges $3 for their green onions. Is there any body else there, that sells regular size green onions for a lot less money. There used to be somebody there that sold them for 2/$1, but they are not coming to the market any more. Is there anybody else that sell green onions there?

Apparently green onions are getting to be expensive in the grocery stores, and are hard to find.
  • Post #450 - October 7th, 2022, 11:03 pm
    Post #450 - October 7th, 2022, 11:03 pm Post #450 - October 7th, 2022, 11:03 pm
    I received an email from Henry, and he expects a hard frost tonight, and so he picked all of his frost tender crops such as tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. He will still have some tomato plants protected from the frost, and so he will have a few tomatoes for the next few weeks. He will have lots of green tomatoes for sale tomorrow, and he will be running a special on peppers.

Henry says he will have the best lettuce has had since May. He will also have eight different kinds of potatoes tomorrow.

There might be a few peaches this week, but they are about done for the year. I bought some blueberries from K &K Farms last week, and they said there is a remote chance they will have some more this week. I think their peaches are done for the year. All of the blueberries at Jewel and Whole Foods are from Peru right now.

I don't know if there will be any corn this weekend or not. Nichols said that their corn they had last week, was the last for the year. There should be some apple cider for sale at the market, and there will be lots of apples and pears as well as raspberries. This might be the last week for basil.

Nichols had peppers on sale last week for 10 for $5, and they were huge. They might still have them on sale this week. Peppers are easy to freeze.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more