LTH Home

Gene's Sausage Shop - now open

Gene's Sausage Shop - now open
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - May 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm
    Post #31 - May 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm Post #31 - May 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm
    Chitown B wrote:watching the third season of the Netflix show "Easy" which is filmed in and based in Chicago, and Gene's was in the series finale episode. :) I thought that was really neat. I love that show, it shows real spaces in Chicago and films on location.

I just watched that episode last night. I think the show is kind of boring, but I watched all three seasons, mainly for location-spotting. :D So many episodes feature my favorite haunts in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #32 - July 8th, 2019, 11:45 am
    Post #32 - July 8th, 2019, 11:45 am Post #32 - July 8th, 2019, 11:45 am
    Cooked 3 different sausages this past holiday weekend, all purchased from Gene's on Friday morning.

Fresh Brat - meh, not flavorful in the least
    German Brat - was informed were "double garlic". Nice spice, really enjoyed this brat
    Chicken Breakfast Sausages - nice spice for a chicken breakfast sausage, enjoyed.

After putting sausages in our cooler back in car, went upstairs to the open rooftop bar, enjoyed some sangria (I know sangria but it is what our guests were in the mood for). Beautiful rooftop, lot of umbrellas thankfully as Friday was HOT.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #33 - July 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm
    Post #33 - July 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm Post #33 - July 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm
    From my post, number 14 in this thread:
    I bought some grilling bratwurst, which they claim is all veal and made in-house albeit probably at the other store. They were out of the veal and pork bratwurst, which are made by an outside supplier. Then this morning I stopped in Lincoln Quality Market (closed on Monday) and bought some veal bratwurst. We marked, parboiled one of each and then grilled over charcoal. The sausages were easy to tell apart once sliced as the spicing was quite visible in the one from LQM. Gene's was very lightly spiced and quite bland in comparison to LQM's, almost as bland as my memory of the only package of bratwurst I ever bought from Bobak's.

Based on Sweet Willie's comment today,
    Fresh Brat - meh, not flavorful in the least
    they must still use the same crappy formula.

LQM closed in late May due to inability to settle on a new lease. Openings, etc
  • Post #34 - July 9th, 2019, 9:52 am
    Post #34 - July 9th, 2019, 9:52 am Post #34 - July 9th, 2019, 9:52 am
    Brats are the WASP's of the sausage world.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more