Fresh Farms Niles

Fresh Farms Niles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 12
  • Post #151 - March 8th, 2012, 6:46 pm
    Post #151 - March 8th, 2012, 6:46 pm Post #151 - March 8th, 2012, 6:46 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    rickster wrote:
    Why would they decrease their selection of whole wheat pasta?

Because they're not selling enough of it to justify the shelf space. Because the average Fresh Farms shopper is more interested having 10 varieties of ajvar available than 10 varieties of whole wheat pasta.

Plus, it's perishable -- oils in whole grains go rancid fairly quickly -- so it's especially tough to carry if it's not moving.

=R=

Well, ya learn something new everyday. I see tons of selections of whole wheat pasta at Caputo's in Elmwood Park for fairly good prices but I usually buy regular pasta.

With regard to regular pasta I never get critters. About a year ago I about a gigantic bag of penne pasta from Sam's club and it is still fine. I had the bag closed up tight and then I had purchased some vintage pyrex glass containers at an estate sale that seal tightly so the penne has been in there ever since without a problem.
  • Post #152 - March 20th, 2012, 11:29 am
    Post #152 - March 20th, 2012, 11:29 am Post #152 - March 20th, 2012, 11:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    aschie30 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:One of the items was a baguette, which happened to be from Biondillo's bakery. It was one of the best baguettes I can remember having in Chicago. It was as light as a feather, had a great aroma, a beautiful crust and a soft, nicely uneven crumb. When I got it back to the office, I broke off a piece and chewed into it. Phenomenal. Who knew?

Biondillo sells to a lot of independent grocers in Chicago, and supplies Stanley's. I've never been terribly impressed by Biondillo's bread, though their Italian offerings are by far their best options. Biondillo's baguette has a rough-hewn, brown crust, and tastes too much like peasant-style Italian bread shaped in the form of a baguette to me. Fox & Obel is still the gold standard for baguettes in this town.

Have to agree about F&O. Their bread program is the best I know of in Chicagoland. Pamela Fitzpatrick is no longer a mere Silverton protege. She's a star in her own right.

Regarding Biondillo's, I was very pleased to find any bread of this quality in a grocery store. Not sure I agree about the re-shaped peasant bread, though. I bought one of those, too and it tasted and felt quite different from the baguette.

Bottom line for me is that Fresh Farms seems to be an exceptional store with a huge variety of products that are superior to what can be found in most local groceries -- even our smaller, mid-level chains.

=R=

The Naf Naf in Niles is one of those restaurants that exists in that mythical "1/2" between myself in Oak Park and my parents in Northbrook. Given how much I like Naf Naf, it's certainly a place I'm willing to meeting someone 1/2 way (hahahaha). Still, if that was not enough, Naf Naf is smack in the middle of some of my other favorite places including Half Price Books, Barnes & Noble, and of course, Fresh Farms.

I've been to the Wheeling and Chicago locations but never this one. I'll be one-two-ing it plenty going forward. Anyways, not much to add on Fresh Farm, Niles, but this. In the vein of what's quoted. We got one of their house baked breads, a multi-grain loaf bread. It did not have quite the yeasty freshness as the ones we buy so often at Kolatek near our house, but that's a very high bar. I'd be perfectly happy getting this bread, sturdy crust protecting a very light crumb, inside again.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #153 - March 20th, 2012, 6:57 pm
    Post #153 - March 20th, 2012, 6:57 pm Post #153 - March 20th, 2012, 6:57 pm
    Still, if that was not enough, Naf Naf is smack in the middle of some of my other favorite places including Half Price Books, Barnes & Noble, and of course, Fresh Farms.

Love Fresh Farms. I always feel the need to go right after visiting Half Price Books. It's the perfect combo.
  • Post #154 - March 20th, 2012, 7:17 pm
    Post #154 - March 20th, 2012, 7:17 pm Post #154 - March 20th, 2012, 7:17 pm
    They now have Siggi's skyr! Hot diggity.

This has nothing to do with FF in general, but why is granola so expensive? I couldn't find a bag for under $5.79.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #155 - March 26th, 2012, 11:25 am
    Post #155 - March 26th, 2012, 11:25 am Post #155 - March 26th, 2012, 11:25 am
    Can anybody remember the name of the bakery that supplies Fresh Farms' cakes? I had one this weekend, the Ambrozja, that was really disappointing.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #156 - March 26th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    Post #156 - March 26th, 2012, 12:57 pm Post #156 - March 26th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Can anybody remember the name of the bakery that supplies Fresh Farms' cakes? I had one this weekend, the Ambrozja, that was really disappointing.

They get them from various sources. Lots of them are baked in house. Their house made breads can be good, but I've learned to stay away from the cakes and pastries.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #157 - March 26th, 2012, 2:41 pm
    Post #157 - March 26th, 2012, 2:41 pm Post #157 - March 26th, 2012, 2:41 pm
    I have a couple of Asian mothers that have sons in Boy scouts with my son. Four times a year I drive them down to super H and Assi to stock up. Fresh Farms is our last stop of the day (It used to be International Foods right before we got on the highway to go home, but they closed).

While Pacific Produce has opened up in Milwaukee, the prices at Super H (especially for lobster) pay for the trip.

Fresh Farms has them going wild - it is fun to watch. What is very funny is the decision making at Fresh Farms on what to get before it spoils. I have never before seen laptops pulled out and groceries/dinners scheduled.

And laugh - one of these days when I hit the lottery I am getting one of the $2K kimchee makers from Assi :)
  • Post #158 - April 2nd, 2012, 12:56 pm
    Post #158 - April 2nd, 2012, 12:56 pm Post #158 - April 2nd, 2012, 12:56 pm
    Decided to try the whole fish at FF to make a bouillabaisse.
    I have only purchased the fillets from the center area in the past as the whole fish appeared not as fresh as I am used to.
    Picked a Mediterranean Sea Bass (Loup de Mer to me) and a Fluke (Flounder to me) about $8 and $9 respectively. Not what I would usually purchase but at Overnight Delivery costs, certainly cheaper.
    A bag of farm raised mussels, clams and Gulf shrimp with heads completed the items for the soup.
    Removed the fins from the fish, gutted and then filleted removing the skin from the fillets and heads leaving only bones for the stock. Removing the fins and head reduces the scum if any from the bones and I don't have to scale the fish.
    A bay leaf, some white peppercorns completed the stock which simmered for an hour.
    Bones removed, Saffron, fresh fennel, carrots and leak added to continuing simmer.
    Finally the Loup de Mer, clams mussels and shrimp added. Flounder is too delicate to hold up to a fish soup and was saved for another meal to be sauteed in hot butter.
    The stock was as good as any I have made, no chemical taste noted. the Loup de Mer tasted fine, held up well as always. As fine a fish soup as I have ever made. A nice aioli, olive oil and bread completed the dish.
    I have found that FF is a great resource for many items.
    My baby lamb for Easter has been ordered from them for pickup Thursday.
    They also have salted anchovies available in bulk.-Dick
  • Post #159 - April 8th, 2012, 10:51 am
    Post #159 - April 8th, 2012, 10:51 am Post #159 - April 8th, 2012, 10:51 am
    Looks like they may be expanding their liquor selection? Went over yesterday and saw that they have cleared out space and looks like they are working on adding shelves possibly for a bigger selection of booze. I could only hope so! A Naked Grape wine rep was there yesterday giving out samples of moscato.

If my husband and I has not eaten lunch prior to going grocery shopping yesterday we could have easily made a meal off the samples they were passing out on all the various cheeses alone.

We also had a cup of coffee from the mediterranean grill located by the frozen foods and I have to say that was a damn good cup of coffee. Nice and strong and tasted a lot like Ethiopian. With hidden gems like that I never have to set foot in a Starbucks (not that I ever do).
  • Post #160 - June 22nd, 2012, 3:31 pm
    Post #160 - June 22nd, 2012, 3:31 pm Post #160 - June 22nd, 2012, 3:31 pm
    Fresh Farms has Plugra butter on sale right now for $2.50 each (8 oz.). That's a pretty good bargain for great butter. Expiration date on the package I just bought is 9/13/12, so it's got some shelf life, if you want to stock up.
    Last edited by stevez on June 22nd, 2012, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #161 - June 22nd, 2012, 5:43 pm
    Post #161 - June 22nd, 2012, 5:43 pm Post #161 - June 22nd, 2012, 5:43 pm
    Don't forget, you can freeze it!

I write stuff.
  • Post #162 - June 27th, 2012, 3:06 pm
    Post #162 - June 27th, 2012, 3:06 pm Post #162 - June 27th, 2012, 3:06 pm
    Just had a great visit to Fresh Farms in Niles.
    Their fresh expelled juice bar is worth the trip alone.
    The vegetable juice I enjoyed today had Carrots,Beets,Green Apple,Celery,Spinach,Lemon,and
    a TON of fresh Ginger- and was sublime!
    Today the fish department had fresh Caribbean Marlin for $9.99 lb. being hawked by the Jamaican Fish Monger there
    (his secret recipe is a wash of lime and salt >washed off/removed>then Walkerswood Jerk Paste marinated before grilling.)

Their Produce Section is amazing - today I discovered "Garlic Whistles"- which appeared to be garlic that had grown like scallions or chives,
    except curly, with little buds at the ends. Sauteed w/ Garlic and Pignolis.....I'm sure they'll nicely accompany my Grilled Marlin.

Had a great chat w/ Alan, a wonderfully knowledgeable Manager/Buyer there, who shared that they sell more pallets of Evian Water,
    than anyone else in the Chicagoland area. Enough so- to cause an executive of Evian to fly out just to see their store- hea wanted to
    "see" what kind of store could sell that kind of quantity of their French H2O. ( Evian = Naive spelled backwards! )
    While hunting down unsweetened /unfiltered Cherry Juice,
    Alan was more than helpful/informative, and I highly reccd. asking for Alan if you're ever in need of a certain item-
    "ask for Alan".

Great Store- just wish they were in Logan Square!
    ;)
  • Post #163 - June 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm
    Post #163 - June 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm Post #163 - June 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm
    I LOVE FF Niles!
    Last week I got LIVE soft shell crabs for only $3.99 each! and they were huge, and delicious....
    best fish dept and best fish prices anywhere.
    They have completely spoiled me for the places I used to buy fish at up north....
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #164 - June 28th, 2012, 6:20 am
    Post #164 - June 28th, 2012, 6:20 am Post #164 - June 28th, 2012, 6:20 am
    Hombre de Acero wrote:Their Produce Section is amazing - today I discovered "Garlic Whistles"- which appeared to be garlic that had grown like scallions or chives,
    except curly, with little buds at the ends. Sauteed w/ Garlic and Pignolis.....I'm sure they'll nicely accompany my Grilled Marlin.

These are better known as garlic scapes.
  • Post #165 - June 28th, 2012, 8:16 am
    Post #165 - June 28th, 2012, 8:16 am Post #165 - June 28th, 2012, 8:16 am
    Has anybody tried the fresh conch?

I write stuff.
  • Post #166 - August 29th, 2012, 11:34 am
    Post #166 - August 29th, 2012, 11:34 am Post #166 - August 29th, 2012, 11:34 am
    It appears they have cut down on their salsa selection. What I see most in the Mexican aisle are the same brands you can find at Jewel.

I write stuff.
  • Post #167 - August 29th, 2012, 1:28 pm
    Post #167 - August 29th, 2012, 1:28 pm Post #167 - August 29th, 2012, 1:28 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:It appears they have cut down on their salsa selection. What I see most in the Mexican aisle are the same brands you can find at Jewel.

I thought you would like to know that I spent twice as much money in there today versus what I spent in the Fresh Market on Monday. :mrgreen:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #168 - August 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm
    Post #168 - August 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm Post #168 - August 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm
    Hooray! But did you get more bang for your buck?

I write stuff.
  • Post #169 - August 29th, 2012, 3:37 pm
    Post #169 - August 29th, 2012, 3:37 pm Post #169 - August 29th, 2012, 3:37 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Hooray! But did you get more bang for your buck?

I'm not terribly big on that. I think it's just different.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #170 - March 15th, 2013, 10:18 am
    Post #170 - March 15th, 2013, 10:18 am Post #170 - March 15th, 2013, 10:18 am
    G Wiv wrote:LTH,

As if I wasn't enough of a fan of Fresh Farms, Niles, they've started carrying Ex-Cel Corned Beef. Ex-Cel is a small local producer of corned beef and is simply the best commercial corned beef I've had.

Just wanted to note that this year they are no longer carrying Ex-Cel at Fresh Farms in Niles.
  • Post #171 - May 31st, 2013, 5:56 am
    Post #171 - May 31st, 2013, 5:56 am Post #171 - May 31st, 2013, 5:56 am
    Soft shell crab's are $3.99/per at Fresh Farms, picked up half a flat(18) yesterday.
    The little beauties were alive and kicking as they warmed up.
    In Milwaukee they are $7.50/per.-Dick
  • Post #172 - July 24th, 2013, 9:59 pm
    Post #172 - July 24th, 2013, 9:59 pm Post #172 - July 24th, 2013, 9:59 pm
    Tax Incentives Offered to Fresh Farms Grocer
    Big tax incentives could be coming to Fresh Farms grocery store, expected to open in the Four Flaggs Shopping Center in Niles, the Journal & Topics reports.
    Niles trustees approved a plan to split village sales tax revenue 50/50 with the store after an initial cut to the village,the newspaper reports. In return, Fresh Farms needs to invest $12 million in the space, and open its doors by Jan. 1, 2015. The sales tax cut should pay for the grocer’s investment. If all goes as planned, Fresh Farms will be moving into the space formerly occupied by Jewel-Osco. The store has a second location in Niles at 5740 West Touhy Avenue.
  • Post #173 - July 25th, 2013, 7:21 am
    Post #173 - July 25th, 2013, 7:21 am Post #173 - July 25th, 2013, 7:21 am
    Artie wrote:Tax Incentives Offered to Fresh Farms Grocer
    Big tax incentives could be coming to Fresh Farms grocery store, expected to open in the Four Flaggs Shopping Center in Niles, the Journal & Topics reports.
    Niles trustees approved a plan to split village sales tax revenue 50/50 with the store after an initial cut to the village,the newspaper reports. In return, Fresh Farms needs to invest $12 million in the space, and open its doors by Jan. 1, 2015. The sales tax cut should pay for the grocer’s investment. If all goes as planned, Fresh Farms will be moving into the space formerly occupied by Jewel-Osco. The store has a second location in Niles at 5740 West Touhy Avenue.

Excellent news! North Niles has fallen on hard grocery shopping times over the last few years with at least three Asian places succumbing to Assi Plaza's dominance, plus the loss of Farmer's Fresh a few years ago and recently Jewel/Osco, both of which I think were hurt by Mall-Wart. Super Tony's has been a bright spot, though: between that and Shop and Save, you won't be lacking for Euro-deli.

Whether this Fresh Farms will be like the other Niles one or their lesser sibling in Wheeling is yet to be determined.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #174 - September 28th, 2013, 7:19 am
    Post #174 - September 28th, 2013, 7:19 am Post #174 - September 28th, 2013, 7:19 am
    The Mothership location has relocated the bakery department over to the corner in the front of the store where the various versions of a restaurant were located. It's huge. They also added a few checkout lanes. Life is good.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #175 - September 29th, 2013, 6:06 am
    Post #175 - September 29th, 2013, 6:06 am Post #175 - September 29th, 2013, 6:06 am
    Was there yesterday. great Sourdough rounds at $2.99/round.
    They also have a great variety of local ethnic breads and flatbreads.
    I always get a Borodinski Baguette, baked by Chicago Specialty Bakers, goes great with cheese.
    But now the breads are in two widely separated parts of the store. -Dick
  • Post #176 - September 29th, 2013, 8:55 am
    Post #176 - September 29th, 2013, 8:55 am Post #176 - September 29th, 2013, 8:55 am
    budrichard wrote:But now the breads are in two widely separated parts of the store. -Dick

I'm pretty sure things are in the process of being consolidated. The new bread area opened only this week. Give them a little time to work things out. The same thing happened when they moved the prepared salads from near the deli to where they are presently located.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #177 - February 5th, 2014, 9:35 am
    Post #177 - February 5th, 2014, 9:35 am Post #177 - February 5th, 2014, 9:35 am
    Per the Sun Times' website:

Two hospitalized for suspected Haff disease after eating Buffalo fish from Niles market

at suntimes.com, Mitch Dudek wrote:Two people who bought the fish from Fresh Farms International Market, 5740 W. Touhy Ave., were hospitalized for suspected cases of Haff disease. The disease causes swelling and breakdown of skeletal muscle thought to be caused by a toxin sometimes found in buffalo fish in the Mississippi River.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #178 - February 5th, 2014, 11:36 am
    Post #178 - February 5th, 2014, 11:36 am Post #178 - February 5th, 2014, 11:36 am
    Shit, I used to buy that all the time. :shock: Sounds like a really unpleasant affliction. Thanks for posting.

I write stuff.
  • Post #179 - February 5th, 2014, 2:19 pm
    Post #179 - February 5th, 2014, 2:19 pm Post #179 - February 5th, 2014, 2:19 pm
    I've purchased fish here before for my family and they were fine. Is this a disease that is caused by mishandling?

I love Fresh Farms!

• Post #180 - February 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm
    Post #180 - February 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm Post #180 - February 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I've purchased fish here before for my family and they were fine. Is this a disease that is caused by mishandling?

I love Fresh Farms!

Me too and it doesn't seem so. From the article linked above:

suntimes.com wrote:The disease causes swelling and breakdown of skeletal muscle thought to be caused by a toxin sometimes found in buffalo fish in the Mississippi River.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more