LTH Home

Favorite Homemade Sandwich

Favorite Homemade Sandwich
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 5
  • Favorite Homemade Sandwich

Post #1 - April 16th, 2008, 8:05 am
    Post #1 - April 16th, 2008, 8:05 am Post #1 - April 16th, 2008, 8:05 am
    With the price of food going sky high, I’m trying to be a little more economical by preparing more meals at home. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite homemade sandwich ideas with me. I have a picky 15 year old son, and I’m always on the lookout for something that might appeal to him. Here is one sandwich that he loves: Toast any kind of bread you like and butter each slice. Shave up some rare roast beef. Select a couple slices of your favorite cheese (I use provolone). Place the buttered side of one piece of toast down in a non stick skillet. Pile up the roast beef. (Now here comes the important part) Squirt on a liberal amount of Kraft Hot N Spicy Mayo. (Note: this stuff can be hard to track down sometimes). Cover with the slices cheese, and top with the second piece of bread (butter side out). Toast each side of the sandwich in the skillet until the cheese melts, and the meat is warmed through. Hope you like it!
  • Post #2 - April 16th, 2008, 8:17 am
    Post #2 - April 16th, 2008, 8:17 am Post #2 - April 16th, 2008, 8:17 am
    A favorite sandwich of mine growing up that my mom made was hot ham and cheese. It really tastes best with "ham off the bone" or ham steak, but she always used deli ham.

Ingredients:

Rolls (I like onion, but my mom used hamburger buns)
    Butter
    Onion (chopped fine)
    Yellow Mustard
    Ham
    Cheese (Lorraine swiss or whatever you like, really)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix room temp butter with yellow mustard and onion to make a spread. Proportions are to taste here. Somewhere close to tablespoon of each for each sammie. Spread this on both sides of the roll.

Layer ham and cheese on rolls and wrap in foil. Bake for 20-30 minutes and enjoy! Simple, yet so good.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #3 - April 16th, 2008, 8:20 am
    Post #3 - April 16th, 2008, 8:20 am Post #3 - April 16th, 2008, 8:20 am
    My favorite sandwiches are both super easy, and both involve apples.

Number one is creamy Jif with thinly-sliced granny smith apples on whole wheat bread. Best served with a side of Flamin' Hot Cheetos. yes, I'm serious.

Number two is a grilled cheese sandwich with gouda and sliced granny smith apples. Really, really delicious. Flamin Hots do NOT go well with this sandwich;)
  • Post #4 - April 16th, 2008, 8:23 am
    Post #4 - April 16th, 2008, 8:23 am Post #4 - April 16th, 2008, 8:23 am
    reuben on dark rye

philly cheesesteak with sweet and hot peppers

pretty much any high quality freshly sliced deli meat(corned beef, roast beef, turkey, capicola, ham) with some swiss or provolone cheese on a fresh kaiser role. Just meat cheese and mayo.
  • Post #5 - April 16th, 2008, 8:55 am
    Post #5 - April 16th, 2008, 8:55 am Post #5 - April 16th, 2008, 8:55 am
    Mine is one that brings me back to my childhood: Fried egg (omelette style) and strawberry jam on white bread/toast.

It sounds wierd, but I like it! My primary school classmate would always have this sandwich when we went to field trips, and I would get so jealous! I don't remember why I was jealous! My mom would never make it for me, so I started making it when I was old enough!
  • Post #6 - April 16th, 2008, 8:58 am
    Post #6 - April 16th, 2008, 8:58 am Post #6 - April 16th, 2008, 8:58 am
    Good breakfast sandwich:

1 slice Arnold's (used to be Brownberry) whole wheat bread - toasted
    topped with homemade egg salad ( eggs, mayo, yellow mustard, pickle relish, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar) and then sprinkled with real bacon bits. Serve with tall glass of iced tea spiked with lemonade. Yummy!

Another favorite:

I bolillo roll sliced into rounds, spread bottom slice with dijon mustard, spread top slice with that creamy brie that comes in a little tub (forget who makes it) and fill middle with ham-off-the bone. Make several of these little round sandwiches & serve with cruncy baby dill pickles on the side.

Not really a sandwich, but in the same vein:

President's Choice vegetable crackers topped with Pilgrim's Pride chicken salad. I could eat a pound of that chicken salad in this way! Serve with Vendange White Zinfandel & seltzer, on the rocks.

A good picnic sandwich, which my friends have dubbed The Ravinia Sandwich, because I always make it when we go:

One loaf of good Italian bread, split in half, innards pulled out so its mostly a crusty shell. Liberally sprinkle good olive oil over opened bread. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Layer with the following, in this order:

1/2 lb ham
    1/2 lb salami
    1/2 lb pepperoni slices
    1/2 lb provolone cheese
    1 red onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
    Fresh basil - preferably purple basil
    slices of red ripe tomato
    sprinkle with red pepper flakes

Roll the whole thing up very tightly with aluminum foil & refrigerate for 1 hour. Take out cold sandwich & place into picnic basket right before you leave for your destination. By the time you get there, sandwich will be room temp. Slice through the foil into serving pieces. Serve with chianti.
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
  • Post #7 - April 16th, 2008, 9:10 am
    Post #7 - April 16th, 2008, 9:10 am Post #7 - April 16th, 2008, 9:10 am
    Fried Bologna!

Just had one a few days back with some housemade Ream's Market bologna (on sale for $1.99 a pound). First time I have had this in ages. Basically fry up some thicker slices of bologna in some butter till it gets brown and crispy in spots. Serve on whatever bread you like with some yellow mustard and american cheese if you wish.
  • Post #8 - April 16th, 2008, 9:28 am
    Post #8 - April 16th, 2008, 9:28 am Post #8 - April 16th, 2008, 9:28 am
    razbry wrote: I have a picky 15 year old son, and I’m always on the lookout for something that might appeal to him.

You need a panini press.
  • Post #9 - April 16th, 2008, 9:35 am
    Post #9 - April 16th, 2008, 9:35 am Post #9 - April 16th, 2008, 9:35 am
    A long time ago, my dad introduced me to the tomato toastie. It is very simple:

a nice summer tomato--no hothouse or whatever will do--sliced on the thinner side for easier stacking and holding together
    plenty of salt and pepper
    place on sliced bread of your choice, toasted and buttered

I only make this in late summer, and I will on (rare) occasion add a thin slice of pamesan

I find this a fine way to enjoy the all-too-rare great tomato. Can't wait for August!
  • Post #10 - April 16th, 2008, 9:54 am
    Post #10 - April 16th, 2008, 9:54 am Post #10 - April 16th, 2008, 9:54 am
    I make that except on toast with mayo!

And lets not forget the wonderful delight that is a turkey BLT. Kind of like a club, but without the extra slice of bread.

In fact this thread has me hankering for sandwiches now. This afternoon I'm grilling a turkey breast and will be making turkey BLT's for dinner - too bad we won't have summer tomatoes, but I have a couple of ripe roma's that will have to do. OOH! Maybe I'l add some sliced avocado to that, and drizzle it with a little honey.

I can't wait :)
  • Post #11 - April 16th, 2008, 1:45 pm
    Post #11 - April 16th, 2008, 1:45 pm Post #11 - April 16th, 2008, 1:45 pm
    I do need a panini press! However, I don't want one more thing on my countertop. Thank you all for your ideas and memories! Keem em coming!
  • Post #12 - April 16th, 2008, 2:10 pm
    Post #12 - April 16th, 2008, 2:10 pm Post #12 - April 16th, 2008, 2:10 pm
    razbry wrote:I do need a panini press! However, I don't want one more thing on my countertop. Thank you all for your ideas and memories! Keem em coming!

You do have a panini press if you have a grill (indoor or outdoor) and a cast iron skillet to weigh down the top of the sandwich while it's on the grill.
  • Post #13 - April 16th, 2008, 2:16 pm
    Post #13 - April 16th, 2008, 2:16 pm Post #13 - April 16th, 2008, 2:16 pm
    How long on the grill, you think?
  • Post #14 - April 16th, 2008, 3:02 pm
    Post #14 - April 16th, 2008, 3:02 pm Post #14 - April 16th, 2008, 3:02 pm
    Liz in Norwood Park wrote:How long on the grill, you think?

That would depend on how hot the grill is . . . eyeball it and flip it when you've got grill marks on one side and the contents appears heated up.
  • Post #15 - April 16th, 2008, 3:04 pm
    Post #15 - April 16th, 2008, 3:04 pm Post #15 - April 16th, 2008, 3:04 pm
    Favorite homemade sandwich:

Houston, TX's Antone's Original(as reverse-engineered by me...it's all about quality ingredients)

good -crusty- artisanal (almost stale) subrolls(hard to come by)
    interior torn out and reserved for bread crumbs
    lightly toasted

schmeared with a mixture of real mayo and hot chow-chow(real chow-chow of micro-diced green tomatoes, cabbage, and chiles...not any of the plethora of bizarro world chow-chows available on supermarket shelves like...corn/bean "chow-chow" or British mustard "chow-chow")

compile(so thinly-sliced they're nearly shaved)

hot capicola
    Bavarian ham
    salami
    provolone

wrap tightly in wax paper
    wrap tightly again in foil

refrigerate
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #16 - April 16th, 2008, 3:10 pm
    Post #16 - April 16th, 2008, 3:10 pm Post #16 - April 16th, 2008, 3:10 pm
    If he likes eggs, he (and you) might enjoy the variety of permutations and combinations that go into the basic breakfast sandwich (good at any time of the day):

Bread -- toasted English Muffin, bagel, Health Nut bread (the kind with nuts in it -- they are very tasty when toasted) work well

Condiment -- Anything you like: all kinds of mustard, hot sauces, even (ugh!) ketchup, if you insist

Cheese -- all kinds

Vegetable -- onions, of course, tomato, try thinly sliced fennel

Herbs & Grasses -- anything fresh: basil, oregano, thyme, cilantro

Meat -- the tastier the better; try chorizo

When you fry the egg(s), try breaking the yolk and stirring it up to create something that will be dry and won't run out of the sandwich. Put flavor in the pan by frying in the oil that comes with good giardinere (or just use the giardinere). Chop and fry the meat first and then put the egg(s) in. Pepper to taste and slide it all onto the toasted bread that already has the cheese and condiment(s) on it. Eat it while it's still warm. Try to stop after three sandwiches or when you run out of vital ingredients.
  • Post #17 - April 16th, 2008, 3:27 pm
    Post #17 - April 16th, 2008, 3:27 pm Post #17 - April 16th, 2008, 3:27 pm
    Bread and cast iron skillet….brilliant!
  • Post #18 - April 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm
    Post #18 - April 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm Post #18 - April 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm
    Everything tastes better fried :>
  • Post #19 - April 16th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    Post #19 - April 16th, 2008, 3:35 pm Post #19 - April 16th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    hot capicola

Your sandwich sounds excellent, Christopher. My recommendation for the best homemade hot capicola in the city: Freddy's in Cicero. It's more succulent than most places' prosciutto.
  • Post #20 - April 16th, 2008, 4:03 pm
    Post #20 - April 16th, 2008, 4:03 pm Post #20 - April 16th, 2008, 4:03 pm
    I do this one for a crowd on a football Sunday:

Rare roasted leg of lamb sliced very thin
    arugula
    goat cheese
    redpepper pesto
    on a whole ciabatta sliced actross

It's just as good on the mini-ciabattas sold at Trotters to go.

It's really hard to beat:

rare beef tenderloin

fresh grated horseradish

on a fresh baked dinner rool
  • Post #21 - April 16th, 2008, 4:11 pm
    Post #21 - April 16th, 2008, 4:11 pm Post #21 - April 16th, 2008, 4:11 pm
    arugula

Democrat!

:wink:
  • Post #22 - April 16th, 2008, 4:23 pm
    Post #22 - April 16th, 2008, 4:23 pm Post #22 - April 16th, 2008, 4:23 pm
    Santander wrote:
    hot capicola

Your sandwich sounds excellent, Christopher. My recommendation for the best homemade hot capicola in the city: Freddy's in Cicero. It's more succulent than most places' prosciutto.

Thank you for the rec. I'm always on the prowl for better Italian meats(hmm).

Antone's perhaps deserves it's own beyond-chicagoland thread: it's part and parcel of the once vivacious Houston deli culture(read: Pakistani/Indian delis not Jewish delis). Unfortunately, they grabbed for the brass ring and instead of growing a few great sandwich stands cum international markets settled for pre-made sandwich/gas station cooler purgatory. Once upon a time, they were outstanding(I remember my mom taking little me into the herbaceous catacombs of the original location in the Houston Medical Center)...for a tyke such as I it was a wonder, these resinous, fermented, meaty perfumes, whispers of good eats seemingly astrewn halfhazard the gloaming interior...

...and then the sandwich...I remember being weirded out by the "spread," but...just one of those things...craveworthy...

always keep some chow-chow on hand if only for this sammy
  • Post #23 - April 16th, 2008, 4:56 pm
    Post #23 - April 16th, 2008, 4:56 pm Post #23 - April 16th, 2008, 4:56 pm
    OK I was waiting for the S word to rear its ugly head in this thread. What is up with "sammy"? Is that a Rachel Ray thing? Has it become so popular in this short time as to become a new word? God save us from "Sammies" and "Cubbies" and all the other yuppified words in our galaxy.

It's a "sandwich" dammit. Not a f-ing "sammy" or "sammie" or whatever else the masses can come up with to call it. Perhaps this is all part of the Arbys, Quiznos, Subway conspiracy.

IT'S A SANDWICH, PEOPLE! NOT A F-ING "SAMMIE"~

SHUDDER.
  • Post #24 - April 16th, 2008, 5:35 pm
    Post #24 - April 16th, 2008, 5:35 pm Post #24 - April 16th, 2008, 5:35 pm
    A sliced baguette with european-style butter on one side, dijon mustard on the other, and a whole mess of italian cured meats in between.

Substitute giardiniera for the mustard if you want.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #25 - April 16th, 2008, 5:47 pm
    Post #25 - April 16th, 2008, 5:47 pm Post #25 - April 16th, 2008, 5:47 pm
    Haven't had this one in a while, but I used to dream about it off-season:

Ciabatta bread, sliced thickly, spread with EVOO and grilled or pan-toasted
    Thickly sliced of avocado to cover bread completely
    Heavy drizzle of EVOO
    Heavy sprinkle of Sea Salt
    Greens (arugula works well here, but a "spicy" mesclun or mesclun/herb mix is fine)
    optional drizzle of lime juice or vinager.

Can be openfaced or closed, and it's messy - but sooo good.
  • Post #26 - April 16th, 2008, 5:49 pm
    Post #26 - April 16th, 2008, 5:49 pm Post #26 - April 16th, 2008, 5:49 pm
    Liz in Norwood Park wrote:OK I was waiting for the S word to rear its ugly head in this thread. What is up with "sammy"? Is that a Rachel Ray thing? Has it become so popular in this short time as to become a new word? God save us from "Sammies" and "Cubbies" and all the other yuppified words in our galaxy.

It's a "sandwich" dammit. Not a f-ing "sammy" or "sammie" or whatever else the masses can come up with to call it. Perhaps this is all part of the Arbys, Quiznos, Subway conspiracy.

IT'S A SANDWICH, PEOPLE! NOT A F-ING "SAMMIE"~

SHUDDER.

Rachel Wraiiiy(thanks Antonius) takes credit for many a foodie infantilism. I'd been using "sammy" long before she reared her chimeraic snout; I'll spare the forum the plethora of other personal culinary-diminutives used between the s/o n I. Just because you see it on the glass teat and the masses suck to it doesn't mean it doesn't have other origins.
  • Post #27 - April 16th, 2008, 5:57 pm
    Post #27 - April 16th, 2008, 5:57 pm Post #27 - April 16th, 2008, 5:57 pm
    It's a guilty pleasure, made doubly so by the fact that this was what got me to end the household embargo on Miracle Whip (we now stock it exclusively for the production of this sandwich).

Thick slices of good sharp cheddar, Fuji apple, raw sweet onion and Miracle Whip on toast.

The most sophisticated sandwich in the arsenal, it isn't... but I love it.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #28 - April 16th, 2008, 6:17 pm
    Post #28 - April 16th, 2008, 6:17 pm Post #28 - April 16th, 2008, 6:17 pm
    Santander wrote:
    arugula

Democrat!

:wink:

Those Swift Boat Guys are probably digging up dirt on me we speak.
  • Post #29 - April 16th, 2008, 6:59 pm
    Post #29 - April 16th, 2008, 6:59 pm Post #29 - April 16th, 2008, 6:59 pm
    These are really calorie-laden and bad for you but I still must make one about once a year, when the craving hits.

Toast two slices of bread

Fry up at least 4 slices of bacon

butter one side of each of the toasted bread slices and spread one of the bread slices with peanut butter, chunky or smooth, your choice

*my Mom used to dip the bread slices in bacon grease instead of buttering them but I just won't do that, though it must have been good because that's the way I ate these as a child.

layer the bacon slices over the peanut butter, top with the second bread slice and press down lightly to 'seal' the deal.

Slice in half and serve.

Now that I've written this, the craving has struck....I have some apple-smoked bacon in the fridge that is calling my name!
    MORE COW BELL!
  • Post #30 - April 17th, 2008, 8:02 am
    Post #30 - April 17th, 2008, 8:02 am Post #30 - April 17th, 2008, 8:02 am
    Wow…what nice responses! I’ve been cutting and pasting like mad. I’m going to present the list of sandwiches to my son and have him pick out what appeals to him. (I know I cater too much to him.) As for me, I want to try each and every sandwich idea that is posted. Right now that “Ravinia” sandwich is sticking out in my mind. I plan on going to Ream’s Meat Market on Saturday (in Elburn…my neck of the woods), so I can load up on some good sandwich makings. You know, I’ve been thinking about doing a little report on the hidden gems of what can be found 65 miles west of Chicago! I enjoyed how the guys discovered Ream’s. Heck, there are a few more places like that around here. Maybe I take those places for granted. Or maybe I thought places like these were to plain and humble for sophisticated Chicagoans to be interested . I’m learning about more than food on this web site.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more