LTH Home

mexican hot dog experiment

mexican hot dog experiment
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • mexican hot dog experiment

Post #1 - September 22nd, 2006, 4:28 pm
    Post #1 - September 22nd, 2006, 4:28 pm Post #1 - September 22nd, 2006, 4:28 pm
    On the heels of my kim chi dog experiment and inspired by this thread Hotdogs of the Sonoran Desert:El Guero Canelo, Tucson, which I originally missed, but linked to from the Chubby Weiners thread, I prepared this take on the ubiquitous and humble hot dog.

Bun, spread with frijoles, hot dog, bacon, topped with (left) homemade Texas chili (no beans, no tomatoes, just home-ground beef and spices) (right) Tex-Mex chile con queso (Velveeta melted with Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Chiles, and crowned with pico de gallo sauce and pickled jalapenos. I love mustard, but left it out in this trial. I couldn't bring myself to add sour cream; I avoid it since a bad childhood experience at a steakhouse in Texas.

Results: Both were delicious. I will do this again, next time toasting the buns and adding both the chili and the queso.

Now, I'm on to work on other ethnic/nationality-influenced versions.

Cheers,
    Wade
    "Remember the Alamo? I do, with the very last swallow."
  • Post #2 - September 22nd, 2006, 5:40 pm
    Post #2 - September 22nd, 2006, 5:40 pm Post #2 - September 22nd, 2006, 5:40 pm
    Hi Wade,

You may want to consider reconstructing Salamera's Sachipapa from Peru:

It may be the only hot dog combo where one could claim, "It's about the sauce!"

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - September 22nd, 2006, 5:50 pm
    Post #3 - September 22nd, 2006, 5:50 pm Post #3 - September 22nd, 2006, 5:50 pm
    Cathy,

I had completely forgotten about Salamera's Sachipapa. Thank you kindly for reminding me.

That is, simultaneously, both creative food and creative art.

Cheers,
    Wade
    "Remember the Alamo? I do, with the very last swallow."
  • Post #4 - August 26th, 2009, 9:13 pm
    Post #4 - August 26th, 2009, 9:13 pm Post #4 - August 26th, 2009, 9:13 pm
    In today’s NYT, John T. Edge sings “In Praise of the All-American Mexican Hot Dog.”

I have got to home-make some of these bacon-wrapped wieners with guacamole, crema, etc.
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #5 - August 27th, 2009, 7:24 am
    Post #5 - August 27th, 2009, 7:24 am Post #5 - August 27th, 2009, 7:24 am
    I offer you the BK Sonoran dog from Tucson, AZ:

• Post #6 - August 27th, 2009, 7:28 am
    Post #6 - August 27th, 2009, 7:28 am Post #6 - August 27th, 2009, 7:28 am
    Hi,

There is a Mexican hot dog stand on 26th Street a few blocks east of where Bombon is located. ReneG would have the exact coordinates. I may still have the not-so-great picture in my camera if it was victim to a purge I did recently.

The bacon wrapped dog was $2 and my Coke was $1.

Bombon
    3748 W 26th St
    Chicago
    773-277-8777
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #7 - August 27th, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Post #7 - August 27th, 2009, 12:14 pm Post #7 - August 27th, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Hot Doug's has them on the menu very occasionally; I suggested the idea to him a few years ago. They evidently sell pretty well - heck, what's not to like?? - but Doug himself was quoted fairly recently as thinking the Sonoran Dog to be the oddest hot dog he's ever eaten, and gently implied that he wasn't exactly hog-wild about them. Huh.

Really liked the NY Times piece a lot. I know that PHX cops harass the vendors as much as Chicago cops hassle elote vendors here.
  • Post #8 - August 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm
    Post #8 - August 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm Post #8 - August 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I have got to home-make some of these bacon-wrapped wieners with guacamole, crema, etc.

They're street food. Why not buy 'em on the street? Specifically, 26th at St Louis, in front of Payless Shoes.

These babies don't have guacamole but you'll be happy to hear ketchup is included. Shockingly tasty.
  • Post #9 - August 27th, 2009, 9:43 pm
    Post #9 - August 27th, 2009, 9:43 pm Post #9 - August 27th, 2009, 9:43 pm
    Both the homemade dogs and the 26th St. stop look great. Looking forward to trying them both.
  • Post #10 - August 28th, 2009, 4:47 am
    Post #10 - August 28th, 2009, 4:47 am Post #10 - August 28th, 2009, 4:47 am
    Was thinking of searching out the vendor at 26th and St. Louis last night (thanks C2 & ReneG), but figured that probably this was a daytime only operation.

In my search to approximate the flavor, I discovered that Five Guys Oak Park has bacon hot dogs (ketchup, hot sauce, jalapenos, grilled onions are available, and maybe mayo could stand in for crema), but the bacon is not twirled around the wiener prior to heating, which I have a feeling makes all the difference.

Wonder how they make the bacon stick to the sausage during cooking (toothpicks, some kind of edible adhesive substance?)...
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #11 - August 29th, 2009, 11:28 am
    Post #11 - August 29th, 2009, 11:28 am Post #11 - August 29th, 2009, 11:28 am
    The hot dog cart is no longer at 26th & St Louis. For an update, see Mexican Hot Dogs on 26th Street.

• Post #12 - August 29th, 2009, 2:05 pm
    Post #12 - August 29th, 2009, 2:05 pm Post #12 - August 29th, 2009, 2:05 pm
    Just saw this video thought it very appropriate for this thread.

Also, this really cool chart had caught my eye when I was doing my research for this summer on where to get my Tucson Sonoran dogs.

NOTE: Ketchup is NOT listed, nor was it put on mine down in Tuscon:

• Post #13 - February 20th, 2010, 3:19 pm
    Post #13 - February 20th, 2010, 3:19 pm Post #13 - February 20th, 2010, 3:19 pm
    why eat out when you(I) can almost always do better at home.

natural casing dogs, thin slice bacon from the butcher, shredded jack, chili with beans, onion, tomato, jalapeno, mayo, ketchup, and mustard.

Of course done on the WSM.

interesting dog, lots of flavors, textures. made for a nice lunch.
  • Post #14 - November 19th, 2010, 11:17 am
    Post #14 - November 19th, 2010, 11:17 am Post #14 - November 19th, 2010, 11:17 am
    Im going to make another run at the Sonoran hot dog, probably tomorrow before a visit out to the turkey farm, if not Sunda for football watching.

This time no smoker(WSM is packed up and in the garage). Ill use the flat top, and wrap some Daisy brand(my favorite) natural casing dogs in bacon, and cook with some additional bacon fat.

I am also going to attempt to bake my own bolillo rolls for the dogs. I have what looks to be a good recipe, and think this will take the dog to new level.

Toppings will be mayo, ketchup, mustard, pinto beans, cheese, onion, tomato, and jalapeno's(maybe some avocado).
  • Post #15 - November 19th, 2010, 11:24 am
    Post #15 - November 19th, 2010, 11:24 am Post #15 - November 19th, 2010, 11:24 am
    FWIW, Jim, 'round these parts (Arizona) the standard baseline seems to be bacon, mayo, pinto beans, grilled and/or raw onion and tomatoes. Common extras I've seen are avocado, pickled jalapenos, sliced mushrooms, cheddar or jack cheese, cotija cheese, and any number of salsas and hot sauces. Ketchup and mustard seem a little less common, but they're definitely available. This isn't based on wide experience, however... I've only visited a few spots that have them.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #16 - November 19th, 2010, 11:26 am
    Post #16 - November 19th, 2010, 11:26 am Post #16 - November 19th, 2010, 11:26 am
    Dmnkly wrote:FWIW, Jim, 'round these parts (Arizona) the standard baseline seems to be bacon, mayo, pinto beans, grilled and/or raw onion and tomatoes. Common extras I've seen are avocado, pickled jalapenos, sliced mushrooms, cheddar or jack cheese, cotija cheese, and any number of salsas and hot sauces. Ketchup and mustard seem a little less common, but they're definitely available. This isn't based on wide experience, however... I've only visited a few spots that have them.

thanks, perhaps ill leave the ketchup and mustard off . (the mustard ruined the Sonoran I had @ Big Star).
  • Post #17 - November 20th, 2010, 12:14 pm
    Post #17 - November 20th, 2010, 12:14 pm Post #17 - November 20th, 2010, 12:14 pm
    got up early and knocked these out.

made my own bolillo, first attempt turned out great, made some smaller loaves for kind of a mini Sonoran dog. Bolillo made a solid bun, held up, and had hints of honey.

Hot dogs are natural casin Daisy brand dogs. I prefer these to Vienna. I cut the dogs in half so they would fit in the smaller buns. Wrapped the dogs in bacon and cooked them on the griddle until the bacon was crisp. In the meantime i whipped ups ome pinto beans with tomato, jalapeno, garlic and onion.

Toppings for the finished dog are a 1/2 slice of american cheese on top pf the dog, then the pino mix, chopped onion, chopped tomato, sliced jalapeno, mayo, sour cream and topped with queso....

Really a great version, one of those sum of its parts things. Everything worked. This was a better version than my first attempt, and much better than the rubbery bacon, sloppy, too much going on version I had @ Big Star.

thanks for looking.
  • Post #18 - November 20th, 2010, 12:37 pm
    Post #18 - November 20th, 2010, 12:37 pm Post #18 - November 20th, 2010, 12:37 pm
    It's funny how your first taste of something sets your standard and you figure that's how it should be for everyone, forever. My first Sonoran dog had no beans, so beans look odd to me....but, Jim, that dog you put together looks fantastic. I'd eat it and I'm guessing I'd like it a lot, beans and all.

One cooking strategy of professional Sonoran doghombres y mujeres is to let the bacon-shrouded wieners sit in the fat, simmerly for hours. Hard to duplicate at home, but that strategy seemed to make a big difference in the two dogs I had at Delicias Mexicanas (one made earlier in the day without steeping in fat; the other made at night, pulled from a pool of porcine goodness -- this latter was dramatically more tasty).
  • Post #19 - November 20th, 2010, 12:44 pm
    Post #19 - November 20th, 2010, 12:44 pm Post #19 - November 20th, 2010, 12:44 pm
    David Hammond wrote:It's funny how your first taste of something sets your standard and you figure that's how it should be for everyone, forever. My first Sonoran dog had no beans, so beans look odd to me....but, Jim, that dog you put together looks fantastic. I'd eat it and I'm guessing I'd like it a lot, beans and all.

One cooking strategy of professional Sonoran doghombres y mujeres is to let the bacon-shrouded wieners sit in the fat, simmerly for hours. Hard to duplicate at home, but that strategy seemed to make a big difference in the two dogs I had at Delicias Mexicanas (one made earlier in the day without steeping in fat; the other made at night, pulled from a pool of porcine goodness -- this latter was dramatically more tasty).

thanks dave,

my first version had chili on it, this one I wanted to go a little more authentic if I could. The pintos were from a can, but rinsed and simmered with onions, garlic, tomatoes and jalapenos for about 20 minutes. I am not a big bean guy but I could have eaten a whole bowl of them.

I also be the wrapped dogs just lingering in bacon and flat top fat adds layers of character/flavors. When I do these again I might utilize my deep fryer & toss the bacon wrapped dogs in for a bath.
  • Post #20 - November 25th, 2010, 9:34 pm
    Post #20 - November 25th, 2010, 9:34 pm Post #20 - November 25th, 2010, 9:34 pm
    David Hammond wrote:It's funny how your first taste of something sets your standard and you figure that's how it should be for everyone, forever.

Sounds like the Pizza Cognition Theory.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more