LTH Home

New Mexico Trip

New Mexico Trip
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • New Mexico Trip

Post #1 - May 22nd, 2006, 2:55 pm
    Post #1 - May 22nd, 2006, 2:55 pm Post #1 - May 22nd, 2006, 2:55 pm
    I am taking my 14 year old nephew on a week long trip to New Mexico in early June. (I gave him the opportunity to go anywhere Southwest Airlines flew - other than Chicago - and he selected New Mexico). We will fly into El Paso (from Cleveland that was the only time that worked), hit Carlsbad, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, and back to El Paso.

In El Paso, we will hit the Cattleman's Restaurant at Indian Wells Ranch. We may also hit a couple of places in CD Juarez.

I have downloaded perhaps 60 pages on ABQ restaurants and I think that we will be able to make some selections on those.

As for the rest of the week, I would like some local favorites. I am looking for New Mexico type food as opposed to food that is readily available in Chicago. I like to spend approximately $10-20 per meal.

Also, if there are markets/fairs, etc. , We would be interested.
  • Post #2 - May 22nd, 2006, 3:11 pm
    Post #2 - May 22nd, 2006, 3:11 pm Post #2 - May 22nd, 2006, 3:11 pm
    Searching these forums, you'll find several NM fans and residents.

I spent several days (not enough) in New Mexico, but didn't get to the southern half at all.

There's supposed to be a spectacular Dairy Queen that features BBQ somewhere near Carlsbad.

If you can swing a couple hundred extra miles on the road, go to Gallup, home to the biggest pawn shops in the area with a century's worth of pawned native american jewelery and newer consigned artisan work, plus guns, saddles, art, crafts, and a decent middle-eastern place.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - May 22nd, 2006, 3:19 pm
    Post #3 - May 22nd, 2006, 3:19 pm Post #3 - May 22nd, 2006, 3:19 pm
    I live in Las Cruces, having moved here from Chicago two years ago, and, incidentally, just having rearrived back here from a week-long trip to Chicago, the main culinary highlights of which were the olive-oil braised octopus at Avec, and, well, everything at Spoon we ordered. (Moody's beer and burgers rang in a close third.)

As for Carlsbad, there is a place called Danny's, which I posted on at length a while back. Here is the link: http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... ght=dannys
    It is a must, should you find yourself in Carlsbad (though this is not that exciting a place to go otherwise).

As for Santa Fe, I have had a wonderful meal at Geronimo’s, though this is hardly the sort to take a 14 year old (i posted on this as well a while back). Harry’s Roadhouse, on the way either into or out of town, is great food in a solid atmosphere--twists on local cuisine, as well as your basic burgers and such.
    If the rigors of traveling in the heat without a bar buddy gets to you, you might consider Second Street Brewery. (disclosure: my girlfriend’s friend is the assistant brew-master, Jordy). I think their pale ales are wonderfully executed, and they have great pub food as well for the kid.

As for Las Cruces, well, it’s not such a good food town. By this, I mean, it’s like saying Wings is sort of not McCartney’s best go at it, which is understatement at best, culinary deception at worst.
    However, I recommend:
    Andele’s in Mesilla (five seconds out of “town”): for Carne Adovada burrito, smothered with green chile.
    Escondido (on El Paseo street, almost at the Idaho crossing, across from Albertson’s): for breakfast only--their “El Mexicano” plate, with toast substituted for tortillas, if you wish, and hashbrowns for beans, as is my wont, is my dish of choice. Basically two eggs, and a platter of green chile con carne (pork), which is the freshest and best in town, in my opinion. If you go for a different dish, be sure just to get a side of green chile, to put on whatever you fancy.
    High Desert Brewery (on Hadley, almost at Valley--people will know, if you ask): Again, a respite from traveling. The only thing really worth getting here (my girlfriend lives up the street, so i’ve probably spent half my income here) is the Green Chile Stew, though they got a new kitchen manager, as the old one sadly died of cancer recently, and messed with the recipe. I know everyone working there, and complained vigorously, and they more or less have it back to what it was before. Also, the nachos here are the best nachos i’ve ever had, though i’m uncertain if that really means anything. I mean, they’re nachos. (but, seriously, they’re good there)
    The Double Eagle (in Mesilla)( is “famous” for steaks and margaritas. I doubt both claims, though it’s a nice place to have a drink. (this fourteen year old is giving me recommendation problems).
    La Posta: locals revile it for its touristy offerings. I think it’s the best margarita in town, and I think the food is pretty good, and the atmosphere is pretty cool. maybe a good place to check out.

The main thing to remember is that nearly all the cooks in New Mexico that are of Mexican descent hail from the Chihuahuan state, so all the cooking is standard, a little boring, and muddled with Tex-Mex taboot. Things improve as you go north in my opinion.

What else? I’ll let you know if I can think of anything.
    Oh--if you are a big meat eater--the Adobe Deli, which is about a 45 minute drive from Las Cruces, towards Deming, is a WONDERFUL place to go. HUGE cuts of meat, and a projection screen with Toby Keith videos playing. Serious steaks grown out in the middle of nowhere, and served in same.
    Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    -parker
  • Post #4 - May 22nd, 2006, 4:34 pm
    Post #4 - May 22nd, 2006, 4:34 pm Post #4 - May 22nd, 2006, 4:34 pm
    jlawrence01,

Amata and I wrote up Bobcat Bite and their excellent green chile burgers; that place is just outside (south) of Santa Fe:
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=60640#60640

Your query reminds me that we need to post some more about the places we visited while in New Mexico.

Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #5 - May 22nd, 2006, 4:49 pm
    Post #5 - May 22nd, 2006, 4:49 pm Post #5 - May 22nd, 2006, 4:49 pm
    Antonius,

I actually used the search function and missed that review. (My pet peeve that ask others to plan their entire trip without doing their homework.) I think with the material that I have scoured up in the past month, I will have jammed up the 1" binder that I had allocated for this trip.

I will use my spanish translating software and translate your post (g).

Thanks for your help.
  • Post #6 - May 22nd, 2006, 5:15 pm
    Post #6 - May 22nd, 2006, 5:15 pm Post #6 - May 22nd, 2006, 5:15 pm
    jlawrence--

I recommend (as always! : ) El Norteño in ABQ: Mexican food, not New Mexican; their tongue is fabuluous. Here's a couple of reviews.

http://gosw.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit ... eno.com%2F
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overvie ... RefID=3623
    http://www.cs.unm.edu/~williams/albuq.html

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #7 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:34 pm
    Post #7 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:34 pm Post #7 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:34 pm
    Geo wrote:jlawrence--

I recommend (as always! : ) El Norteño in ABQ: Mexican food, not New Mexican; their tongue is fabuluous. Here's a couple of reviews.

Geo

Wow. why are so many of the "great eats" places nested on the servers of major universities? (g)

Thanks.

The best recommendation is: Say "Una torta de lomo y una horchata grande por favor."
  • Post #8 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:53 pm
    Post #8 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:53 pm Post #8 - May 22nd, 2006, 7:53 pm
    jlawrence wrote:

Wow. why are so many of the "great eats" places nested on the servers of major universities? (g)

Ah, one of the genuine keys to the universe of eating: at any real university, there is a reliable, well-versed, correctly-opinionated eater; let us just hope that they
    a) put their views on a webpage;

b) and that we find it. :^)

I got sooo lucky to find the AmerU guy's page before going to DC last Fall...

Reasons why? In grad skule, among other things, most departments in the Arts & Sciences college clue their students into the fact that eating and drinking well is important. Another point of major importance is that departments at major universities are ALWAYS getting important visitors, and it is imperative to take them someplace good to eat.

When I was getting my MA at San Francisco State, many of our weekly visiting speakers admitted that they'd only come for the food. : )

In my humble estimation, the local university's philosophy dept inevitably knows the best places to eat in their town. My move is to call the dept, talk to the secretary, and ask "Where do you take your visiting speakers?"

Once I gave a talk at UT-El Paso. I called the philosophy dept and was directed to two otherwise invisible Mexican delights.

Physics is ok, but not as good. If there's a biz skule, they're reliable, but tend to be much more expensive than depts in the Arts and Sciences.

Anyway, that's what's going on with these academic eating lists, such as the one in UNM! From the look of it, I'd trust the guy.

Geo
    PS. You'll owe us a report back!! :^)
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #9 - May 22nd, 2006, 10:10 pm
    Post #9 - May 22nd, 2006, 10:10 pm Post #9 - May 22nd, 2006, 10:10 pm
    I'm actually typing this from Carlsbad where I'm visiting my in-laws. I've been to the famous BBQ restaurant, and it was good, though I'm not a BBQ expert. The places my husband misses most from when he was growing up here are Larez, which is a tex-mex family restaurant; La Fonda, another tex-mex restaurant in Artesia (about 45 min from Carlsbad); Sonic (which you can find all over, but not yet in Chicago); and the snow cones from what looks to be the world's oldest snow cone stand (it also serves food, including something called a flip - please order one and tell me what it is.)

Larez
    1524 S Canal St
    Carlsbad, NM

La Fonda Restaurant
    210 W Main St
    Artesia, NM

Sno To Go
    1713 S Canal St
    Carlsbad, NM
  • Post #10 - May 23rd, 2006, 5:59 am
    Post #10 - May 23rd, 2006, 5:59 am Post #10 - May 23rd, 2006, 5:59 am
    There's a lot of good choices in Santa Fe for your price range, you don't have to drop a bundle to eat well.

The Shed (a block off the plaza) for solid New Mex food, lunch and dinner. This would be my number one rec, order the green chile stew.

Tomasitas for the same.

Tia Sophia's near the plaza for breakfast, especially the breakfast burrito.

If you're going out to the flea market by the Santa Fe Opera, then eat at "Tesuque Village Market". More New Mex food (you won't get tired of it, promise). It's a mile off the Tesuque exit from Highway 84/285.

I'll definitely second Harry's Roadhouse, I like their green chile cheeseburgers better than the hyped to the max Bobcat Bite.

Make sure you bring lots of sunscreen, summer sun will fry you up quick at those altitudes.
  • Post #11 - May 23rd, 2006, 7:55 am
    Post #11 - May 23rd, 2006, 7:55 am Post #11 - May 23rd, 2006, 7:55 am
    Fast Eddie wrote:I'll definitely second Harry's Roadhouse, I like their green chile cheeseburgers better than the hyped to the max Bobcat Bite.

Fast Eddie,

I've never been to Harry's Roadhouse and therefore am not in a position to compare its green chile burgers with those of Bobcat Bite. But I find the comment about BB being "hyped to the max" potentially a bit misleading. BB itself does not seem to be actively involved in the propagation of the hype and the quality of what they serve at that little, simple, very focussed restaurant by all accounts (and in my own limited experience) is high and consistent. My point is, you seem to put BB down because it has a great reputation and has made its way onto a number of top burger lists. But if you've been there, seen their slow way of doing things, their limited hours, it's obvious that the hype has not changed much how they go about doing things.

I was unaware of any hype when we went to Bobcat Bite, following recommendations of friends in New Mexico and the place lived up to the praise those friends had for it. Also noteworthy in this regard are the comments on Bobcat Bite and Harry's from Bill/SFNM, whose opinions cannot be lightly dismissed:
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=9209#9209

Anyway, hype or not, Bobcat Bite seems to just chug along doing things their own way and doing them really well (which is, I dare say, medium rare). That said, given your praise of Harry's, I'll try to check it out when next in the Santa Fe area, but I think it important to point out to folks that however much hype there is surrounding Bobcat Bite, the restaurant itself and the quality of the food does not seem to have been affected by it.

Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    ________
  • Post #12 - May 23rd, 2006, 8:48 am
    Post #12 - May 23rd, 2006, 8:48 am Post #12 - May 23rd, 2006, 8:48 am
    By hype I mean a Frontera Grill kind of hype, every newspaper or magazine article in the national press about Santa Fe praises it as one of the best burgrs in the world. Don't get me wrong, it's a great burger, but I'm a little underwhelmed by BB. The meat is oversized for the bun, and the cottage fries they serve with it are a travesty a true sin against humanity - Jay's potato chips would be an improvement.

Harry's (which also has great fries to accompany that fine burger) is a mile down the same road, I'd suggest doing a side by side comparison next time. I think it's a better, more balanced burger closer to the platonic ideal. It's also small and family owned in the same kind of beatup roadhouse setting. Plus Harry's serves beer & a very fine margarita, no booze at BB. Plus they have more than 10 tables, so you don't have to wait for an hour to sit down - and once you're seated you don't have 60 starving souls staring you down willing you to relinquish your table.
  • Post #13 - May 23rd, 2006, 9:23 am
    Post #13 - May 23rd, 2006, 9:23 am Post #13 - May 23rd, 2006, 9:23 am
    Fast Eddie wrote: The meat is oversized for the bun, and the cottage fries they serve with it are a travesty a true sin against humanity - Jay's potato chips would be an improvement.

I think the picture I reposted above shows that the bun -- which was very fresh and good -- was quite ample for the size of the meat. About the cottage fries, I liked them very much and enjoyed the fact that they weren't the usual fries. I do think Amata was less enthusiatic about them than I but we both felt the quality of the burger itself was indeed genuinely outstanding.

The wait wasn't too bad at all when we were there and it was quite pleasant hanging out on the front porch. No gapers present while we were eating either -- everyone waited, as we did, outside in the glorious January sunshine.

I'm curious to hear some further comments from Bill/SFNM, who -- judging from the post to which I linked above -- apparently has the opposite opinion of the two places' burgers.

Antonius
    ________
  • Post #14 - May 23rd, 2006, 9:28 am
    Post #14 - May 23rd, 2006, 9:28 am Post #14 - May 23rd, 2006, 9:28 am
    Let Bill/SFNM solve the argument. I can't eat two complete green chile cheeseburgers in one meal .... (g).
  • Post #15 - May 23rd, 2006, 10:40 am
    Post #15 - May 23rd, 2006, 10:40 am Post #15 - May 23rd, 2006, 10:40 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:Let Bill/SFNM solve the argument. I can't eat two complete green chile cheeseburgers in one meal .... (g).

Agreed! :)

By the way, if you like cooking with chiles, be sure to bring some back. They're pretty cheap there and they're not as easy to find around here as one would think. I'm reminded of this by Da Beef's query concerning carne adovada:
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8487
    That's a really great dish if made well...
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=76612#76612
    ... and one worth ordering either as a dinner at a good restaurant or in a burrito at a good, less formal place.

Antonius
    ________
  • Post #16 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:13 pm
    Post #16 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:13 pm Post #16 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:13 pm
    Three stops on the itinerary:

1) Hatch, NM
    2) Messila, NM
    3) Las Cruces - large pecan grove on the road back to El Paso and a pretty decent winery (bit not with a 14 year old in tow.
  • Post #17 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:46 pm
    Post #17 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:46 pm Post #17 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:46 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:Let Bill/SFNM solve the argument. I can't eat two complete green chile cheeseburgers in one meal .... (g).

Honored as I am to have my Wimpy-esque devotion to the burger recognized (you must have seen the description of my patent-pending invention, the Lardo Burger!), I don't think I have earned the credentials to be the final arbiter of Santa Fe hamburguesas. Fast Eddie and I have come to differing conclusions on more than one Santa Fe eatery (two to be exact), so as Marco says: de gustibus non est disputandum.

My high opinion of BB remains unchanged, but I've only eaten a burger once at HRH and that was a while back. I do enjoy the quaint atmosphere of BB, but I steer clear of it during tourist season so I don't have to wait for a table. Nothing like a BB GCCB on a cold, snowy day.

Bill/SFNM
  • Post #18 - May 23rd, 2006, 1:29 pm
    Post #18 - May 23rd, 2006, 1:29 pm Post #18 - May 23rd, 2006, 1:29 pm
    Bill, Solomon would be proud.
  • Post #19 - May 27th, 2006, 10:35 am
    Post #19 - May 27th, 2006, 10:35 am Post #19 - May 27th, 2006, 10:35 am
    One non-culinary detour I would suggest is to visit Acoma Pueblo about 40 miles west of Albuquerque. It's a spectacular setting and he might appreciate the history. Take the shuttle bus up with the guide, but then choose the walk back down option.

In Santa Fe, you might enjoy the Plaza Restaurant. Great location and great New Mexican food. Excellent sopapillas. If the nephew is tired of burgers, try their posole. It's second only to Orlando's in Taos.
  • Post #20 - January 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm
    Post #20 - January 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm Post #20 - January 24th, 2007, 7:56 pm
    Hi, new guy here. I lived in New Mexico about 20 years ago and did some work on geothermal wells north of Albuquerque in the town of Jemez Springs. There was (and still is) a quaint local saloon that served the best green chili stew that I've ever eaten. I just Googled them and found that they have a web site now, and also learned that they have acquired quite a reputation! When in the area, check out the Los Ojos
    Restaraunt & Saloon: http://losojossaloon.com
  • Post #21 - January 24th, 2007, 8:04 pm
    Post #21 - January 24th, 2007, 8:04 pm Post #21 - January 24th, 2007, 8:04 pm
    KNOWSCHAD wrote:When in the area, check out the Los Ojos
    Restaraunt & Saloon: http://losojossaloon.com

Excellent hamburgers, too!

Bill/SFNM
  • Post #22 - January 26th, 2007, 4:36 pm
    Post #22 - January 26th, 2007, 4:36 pm Post #22 - January 26th, 2007, 4:36 pm
    Although I am not a native of New Mexico, I lived there from 1951-1968 and again from 1978-1982.

I would encourage any visitor to New Mexico to try a green chile cheeseburger - anywhere. Some are better than others, as many have attested - but, Blake's Lot-a-Burger has several locations around the state and does quite well with said burgers. One location is on US 550 about a mile west of I-25 in Bernalillo and another is on Broadway just east of downtown in Farmington.
  • Post #23 - January 27th, 2007, 12:29 pm
    Post #23 - January 27th, 2007, 12:29 pm Post #23 - January 27th, 2007, 12:29 pm
    The Blake's in Bernalillo is my first stop between Sunport (ABQ airport) and my friend's house in Santa Fe. Get that green chile fix first and then on to other things! Besides visiting my firends, eating NM food is my main adgenda.
  • Post #24 - January 22nd, 2008, 12:44 pm
    Post #24 - January 22nd, 2008, 12:44 pm Post #24 - January 22nd, 2008, 12:44 pm
    Mr. X and I are heading to Taos for some skiing and other fun. I'm pulling ideas from a few threads, but wanted to bump this to see if there are new or updated "must eats." Our itinerary isn't set yet so we may spend an afternoon in Santa Fe if our legs tire from skiing.

Thanks.
  • Post #25 - January 23rd, 2008, 11:47 pm
    Post #25 - January 23rd, 2008, 11:47 pm Post #25 - January 23rd, 2008, 11:47 pm
    My favorites of the places I've tried in Taos:

Dragonfly Cafe at 402 Paseo de Peralta Norte for breakfast and lunch. Friendly people, great food, and the best baked goods in town.
    http://www.dragonflytaos.com/welcome1.html

Lambert's at 309 Paseo del Pueblo Sur. They use local ingredients, and the food is prepared with care. A standout was the grilled lamb tenderloin with warm lentil salad and New Mexico feta.
    http://lambertsoftaos.com/

Avoid Doc Martin's at the Taos Inn, but do stop and get a drink at the Adobe Bar in the same hotel.
  • Post #26 - January 24th, 2008, 9:00 am
    Post #26 - January 24th, 2008, 9:00 am Post #26 - January 24th, 2008, 9:00 am
    Someone up thread mentioned The Plaza on The Plaza for solid New Mexican food. It's a great place and many of the Natives who sell jewelery under The Portal are there early before they set up their spots. Also we enjoy Tia Sophia's for New Mexican food, we usually go for breakfast and have a breakfast burrito and some green chile stew. Other places for New Mexican are The Shed and Tomasita's. Tomasita's is in the Railyard area, the Shed and Tia Sophia's are a block off The Plaza.
  • Post #27 - May 31st, 2021, 8:53 pm
    Post #27 - May 31st, 2021, 8:53 pm Post #27 - May 31st, 2021, 8:53 pm
    Tried 8 green chile burgers in NM and here are my rankings from worst to best (with caveat that 2-5 were so close that on different days/times I'm certain my rankings would be different):

8: Shake Foundation (Santa Fe) is a stand from a chef who spent years running popular fine dining restaurants. While the unseasoned and poorly seated burger can be blamed on the kids working on my visit, the too mild Chile is an institutional problem.

7: Frontier Restaurant (ABQ) has been popular for decades, especially with nearby U of NM students and alums. The burger was lukewarm and bland & the shredded cheese didn't melt. Saved from last place by a solid green chile.

6: Blake's (Alamagordo location) is a big chain with locations all over NM. Fast but not fast food. The burger was made to order and both it and the chile were good.

5: Santa Fe Bite (previously known as Bobcat Bite) may well be the best known NM burger nationwide. That's deserved.

4: The Owl Bar & Cafe (San Antonio) is one of two burger legends within 200 feet of each other in unincorporated San Antonio. Well seasoned party with some nice crispy bits topped with a very good green chile.

3: I was the first customer of the day at Buckhorn Tavern (San Antonio) and loved my burger. Only flaw was that there wasn't much of a sear, which I'm guessing is directly tied to how early I was there. Beef was well seasoned and the chili was great.

2: Rockin' BZ Burger (Alamogordo) was flawless. Well, it didn't have cheese but that was me screwing up the order. Well seared, well seasoned and topped with really nice chile.

1: Sparky's (Hatch) has the best burger I tried in NM. I loved everything about the burger and the place. Fantastic well seared flame grilled patty topped with the spiciest chile of any burger I tried. Bonus points for the green chile freshly squeezed lemonade and amazing collection of kitschy Americana inside and statues outside. This was my third burger of the day but it was so good I would've gone back to order more from the large menu if they hadn't stopped taking orders for the day. It's in Hatch, so right on the way from ABQ to El Paso for me, but worth the five hour round trip drive from ABQ if you find yourself there.
  • Post #28 - May 31st, 2021, 9:08 pm
    Post #28 - May 31st, 2021, 9:08 pm Post #28 - May 31st, 2021, 9:08 pm
    Hey, the Owl was my first GCC!
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more