LTH Home

Springfield, IL

Springfield, IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 5
  • Springfield, IL

Post #1 - June 30th, 2005, 4:53 pm
    Post #1 - June 30th, 2005, 4:53 pm Post #1 - June 30th, 2005, 4:53 pm
    Hi besides the great Cozy Dog, does anyone have any reccomendations for any good food in Springfield a? Thanks
  • Post #2 - July 1st, 2005, 6:17 am
    Post #2 - July 1st, 2005, 6:17 am Post #2 - July 1st, 2005, 6:17 am
    From a few years back, but I do not think much changes down there:

Donuts! Farmer's Markets! The original corn dog! Unique regional dish! (plus Lincoln, Lincoln and more Lincoln; eating in a drug store, and the Trout Lily Cafe.) Of course I had a great time in Springfield.

I thought it would be fun to get our kicks on route 66, or as translated by Sophia, get our butt kicked on route 66, but now that I have made the drive, I do not know if it's worth it even if it's nice to say, we traveled the mother road. A good portion of Old Route 66 (hencefourth just 66) simply runs parallal to its usurper, Interstate 55. The predominant difference, close-ups of the grain elevators.

We got a farily late start hitting old route 66 at the intersection of Harlem and Joliet Road, just south of Riverside, Illinois. We made our first stop at a donut shop. It's clear the regional limiations of chowhound as no one's mentioned Honey Fluff Donuts and Gourmet Coffee before, from Countryside, Il, but this should be a real contender in the donut sweepstakes. I bought a 1/2 dozen since I could not decide on their great flavors.

By the time we rolled past the interesting bridges of Joliet, Hannah was asking incessantly if we were near Springfield yet. I managed to distract her for a bit with the news that we were near the rocket-man, a giant spaceship guarding the Launching Pad Drive-In.

Well, the rocketman came and went in a flash and was not that big of a distraction. We skipped the Launching Pad, for another drive-in, the Polka Dot, based purely on what they looked like from pictures on the Internet. So much for that as way to select places. Polka Dot sucked. Nothing was worth the money. Their "famous" chili fries were frozen potatoes covered with yellow goo and cheap chili. The hamburger barely stood up to the fluffy bun and the rural fav pork tenderloin was inedibly greasy. The chowhounditas, however, loved playing with the fake fifties tchotkes. Think bad version of Ed Debevics.

Our next stop on 66 was Bloomington-Normal because Ms. VI thought perhaps there would be a Starbucks. It gave me a chance to repeat incessantly, such bad puns as "this town is really normal." No Starbucks, but a decent cup of joe at a yuppie place in "downtown" Bloomington called C'est si bon.

The rest of the stuff refers to Springfield related places. Before I highlight the places worth visiting, let me quickly mention the farmer's market. It's held every wednesday and saturday for the season. Boy did Harry luck out when we were there on wednesday.

Nothing approaches the spectacular farm-o-rama that is, say Nichols farms, but everything was ernest in the best sense of the word. Proving its ties to central Illinois, it was almost all vegetables, stuff that maybe in Oak Park tomorow or next week: zuchini, turnips, cucumbers, some hot peppers. Nothing too summery yet, the only tomatoes were from a hot house. We did find some unusual and very special black raspberries. Interesting canned goods, we really had to fight to limit our purchases here and organic meat as well--sold out by mid-day, so bring your cooler early.

Here's the rest of the places:

1) Bachman-Keefner Drug Store - We only had eggs and coffee, but I instantly liked it. This place should be as cliched as some of the other Springfield sites, but the fact that it was filled with locals chit-chatting, saved it from being too cutesy. That and the real patent goods still for sale. The kids loved the butter-soaked toast.

2) Mel-O-Cream Donuts - OK, I'm a sucker for anything called Mel-O-Cream, especially with the fact that the O in the sign was a donut. Hannah loved the signature mel-o-cream with sugar, saying it was her co-favorite with Krispey Kreme, I found them only good for being donuts. 2 stars in my book (When asked, how many stars she'd give them, Hannah said 100). The problem, a little bready, they tasted almost like they were not fried. A few branches around town, we went to the 6th St. location where the other touristy stuff is. Note, they close by early afternoon.

3) Trout Lily - Not nearly as good a name as Mel-O-Cream, but much better coffee, awfully nice people too. I also liked the fact that we ran into some of the same people drinking coffee there, who had been drinking coffee earlier at Bachman-Kaufman Drugstore.

4) Coney Island - Not horseshoes but pony shoes, ostensibly a smaller version. This totally reminded me of Cincinati chili. I thought I'd like it for curiosity sake, but came away liking it that much more for what it was. The Raspberry Queen found Coney Island on 5th Street, and we were instantly attracted by its "est. in 1919" decor. I peeked in and then queried the man behind the counter. He explained to me that their pony shoe featured their award winning white sauce, and I was hooked.

The Coney Island shoe starts with ordinary white bread, I was looking forward to that Texas toast. Good thing there was something bland, because everything else was loaded with succor. The hamburger itself was plenty good, the kind of griddled pure meat that is so rare to find these days. The french fry layer included plenty of real fries, nothing pre-fab. My only quibble with the whole thing, however, was the garlic salt condiment that dusted the fries. I just have a dislike for garlic powder. The white sauce was totally unlike what I expected, a thick, rich sauce, really a bechamel, not something velveeta-y, not like ballpark nacho sauce, which is what I expected. Coney Island did Springfield proud. The other stuff we ordered, including the chili were good enough, but I would stick to the hamburger pony shoe.

5) Cozy Dog Drive In - I'll end where I started, on route 66. And as good as Coney Island's shoe was, perhaps Cozy Dog was even better. Again, I was going for the experience, not for the food. Again, I was way wrong. Everything at Cozy is home made and fresh and far from the franchise spots nearby.

The cozy dogs (a/k/a corn dogs) invented here, are made fresh for each order. Mr. Cozy's chief contribution to this sub-sub-genre of food, was the creation of various tools for dipping the dogs. The current tool spears 3 dogs at a time, drops them in a bat of "corn" and pops them out after a oil bath. It's not a particular good dog plain, but the fresh batter adds a lot as does the ballpark mustard (or I suppose the catsup).

Hannah asked for a burger. When I saw them take a ball of fresh meat and press it into the griddle, I wanted one too. I switched my chili dog to a chili cheeseburger. This was everything that Polka Dot was not. Interesting brew, genuine american cheese and a beefy thin patty all merged together into one greater treat. Cozy fries up some great shoestrings. Our only disappointment, the chili worked great on the burger, but alone, it was so oily, neither myself or Ms. VI could handle it. And speaking of things hard to handle, the ultra-right-wing placards around the walls were almost as tough to swallow. Good thing for me, that food trumps politics. Cozy Dog is about 5 miles south of downtown Springfield on what is also known as 6th street. It is also very accessible to an exit of I-55. In fact after dinner, we got right on the road home.

For those keeping score at home, since the Ms. needed a potty break, I did stop at Krispy Kreme after getting off the highway at Harlem.

VI
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - August 20th, 2005, 4:37 pm
    Post #3 - August 20th, 2005, 4:37 pm Post #3 - August 20th, 2005, 4:37 pm
    Vital Information wrote:2) Mel-O-Cream Donuts - OK, I'm a sucker for anything called Mel-O-Cream, especially with the fact that the O in the sign was a donut. Hannah loved the signature mel-o-cream with sugar, saying it was her co-favorite with Krispey Kreme, I found them only good for being donuts. 2 stars in my book (When asked, how many stars she'd give them, Hannah said 100). The problem, a little bready, they tasted almost like they were not fried. A few branches around town, we went to the 6th St. location where the other touristy stuff is. Note, they close by early afternoon

Rob, any comments on the secret formula?

Mel-o-cream Donuts
    1953 W. Monroe St.
    Springfield, IL 62704
    217-546-4651

Mel-O-Cream Donuts
    1814 Stevenson Drive
    Springfield, IL 62703
    217-529-0046

Mel-O-Cream Donuts
    525 North Grand Avenue West
    Springfield, IL 62702
    217-528-2303

Mel-O-Cream Donuts
    217 East Laurel Street
    Springfield, IL 62704
    217-544-4644

007 Headquarters?
    Mel-O-Cream Donuts INTL Inc
    5456 International Parkway
    Chatham, IL 62629
    217-483-7272
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - January 3rd, 2006, 1:51 pm
    Post #4 - January 3rd, 2006, 1:51 pm Post #4 - January 3rd, 2006, 1:51 pm
    Heading to Springfield before finding out the Cozy Drive in is closed until the 9th of January!

I'm having difficulty finding hours open for the following, but am hoping to catch:

Dinner:
    D'Arcy's Pint: voted best Horseshoe.
    Boyd's New Generation: voted best soul food.

Breakfast/Lunch
    Charlie Parker's
    Coney Island
    Maid Rite
    Coney Island

Not sure about Shakey's Pizza and Buffet, but I used to love it as a kid.
    My Dad was nuts for the Taco Pizza. I just couldn't get over how many different kinds of pizza you could choose from at one time. They also had the first "screen" TV that played kids/family movies I'd ever seen.

Other ideas for drinks/experience below:

Sun's Up
    Lime Street Cafe
    Sammy's Sports Bar
    Incredibly Delicious: coffee
    Trout Lily: coffee
    Chantilly Lace: (what the heck?)
    Brewhaus

Any updates/info appreciated.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #5 - January 3rd, 2006, 2:49 pm
    Post #5 - January 3rd, 2006, 2:49 pm Post #5 - January 3rd, 2006, 2:49 pm
    There used to bed a pretty good BBQ Shack called Popeye's that I went to years ago. They used to turn out some pretty good BBQ. I found this liosting online. Could this be the same place?

Clay's Popeye's Bar-B-Q of Springfield
    1121 South Grand Ave E
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 522-0386
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - November 25th, 2006, 10:43 am
    Post #6 - November 25th, 2006, 10:43 am Post #6 - November 25th, 2006, 10:43 am
    D'Arcy's Pint reviewed @ RoadFood

[Incl. info/background on the Horseshoe Sandwich]

E.M.
  • Post #7 - March 31st, 2008, 7:19 am
    Post #7 - March 31st, 2008, 7:19 am Post #7 - March 31st, 2008, 7:19 am
    We visited the Laurel Street Mel-O-Cream on Saturday morning on our way to the Dana-Thomas House. Overall, I think Mel-O-Cream is well worth the stop if you're in Springfield. Few foods bring me more joy than jelly donuts, so my first pick at Mel-O-Cream was their black raspberry. It was good, though the cake was negligibly better than a Dunkin Donuts jelly donut, which I usually don't mind. I have an unreasonable aversion to long johns, so I didn't try it, but my boyfriend was impressed with Mel-O-Cream's caramel rendition. However, the highlight of our visit to Mel-O-Cream was a maple fritter. I'll admit that my frame of reference for fritters is pretty narrow--I like Tim Horton's apple fritters, but, again, when given a choice of donut I rarely choose something besides jelly--but the Mel-O-Cream maple fritter was outstanding. The cake was wonderfully maple-y. I regret not having gone back to the counter to buy one for the road. On my next visit to Mel-O-Cream (in addition to trying another jelly donut), I will also try an apple and a blueberry fritter, both of which were on display on Saturday. One note about the Laurel Street location specifically--it has a very large and cozy dining room, which filled steadily with locals while we were there. We had several destinations during our 24 hours in Springfield. After the Dana-Thomas House, the dining room at the Laurel Street Mel-O-Cream was my favorite.

Black raspberry

Caramel long john

Maple fritter
  • Post #8 - August 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm
    Post #8 - August 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm Post #8 - August 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm
    Are any of these places right off the highway?

Driving south tonight, wondering if there was a decent diner or something similar in Springfield for a pitstop...

edit: just read above that Cozy Dog is right off 55 - perfect. Thanks LTH. (and I'll pass Mel-o-Cream... sounds like a dessert!)
  • Post #9 - August 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm
    Post #9 - August 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm Post #9 - August 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm
    Cozy Dog is absolutely worth a stop, even in their new digs (I will forever lament the loss of their long time home up the road with the Dairy Queen attached). I highly recommend anything involving pork, their fries, and, of course, the Cozy Dog.

Cozy Dog Drive In
    2935 S 6th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 525-1992

D'Arcy's is ok for Horseshoes, but not my favorite. I think their cheese sauce is too heavy and glutinous, it tends to congeal far too quickly for my taste. Not bad, just not my favorite. I prefer The Track Shack, a dive bar with excellent food (also located next to a Mel-O-Cream) and what I find to be the best overall horseshoe in Springfield. Their cheese sauce is lighter than most and has a good kick to it. My favorite is the Canadian Bacon horseshoe.

The Track Shack
    233 E Laurel St
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 522-0444

For a breakfast Horseshoe (have your cardiologist on speed dial before attempting this) or just a great, inexpensive breakfast, I recommend D&J Cafe. It is also conveniently located across the street from Pease's, a locally owned penny candy store/chocolate shop where they have been hand making chocolates for as long as anyone can remember. I think the same ladies are running the place that worked there when I was in grade school around the corner 30 years ago. :)

D&J Cafe
    915 W Laurel St
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 753-1708

Pease's Candy
    State & Laurel
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 523-3721

If you find yourself in Springfield overnight, there is finally a decent Vietnamese place in town, Little Saigon. It bills itself as Thai, but the bulk of the enormous menu is Vietnamese and that is where it really shines, very fresh, well balanced flavors, and so inexpensive you almost feel guilty when you get the bill.

Little Saigon
    1531 Wabash Ave
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 726-9633

Finally, I don't really think any visit to Springfield is complete without a stop at Maid Rite, where they still wrap your sandwiches and your complimentary gum drops in waxed paper.

Maid Rite
    118 N Pasfield St
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 523-0723

I haven't yet been to Charlie Parker's as it is way, way out and wasn't around when I was growing up in Springfield, but I plan on trying to hit it on my next trip to the 'Patch.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #10 - August 28th, 2008, 1:33 pm
    Post #10 - August 28th, 2008, 1:33 pm Post #10 - August 28th, 2008, 1:33 pm
    ab wrote:Are any of these places right off the highway?

edit: just read above that Cozy Dog is right off 55 - perfect. Thanks LTH.
    Just north of The Cozy Dog is a bright yellow trailer serving Springfield's best Barbecue. It is run by a buddy of mine who goes by the moniker, "Dr. Of BBQ". Jack does some fine ribs and pulled pork. His primary sides, beans and potato salad, are top notch. The one caveat is that unless you have some place to go where you can spread out and eat, you will be eating in your car. Still, in my opinion, well worth the little bit of mess that might result.

To get to the Dr.'s trailer, continue north on Sixth Street (it runs one way; north), past the Cozy Dog, another couple of blocks, past the train viaduct to the stoplight. Look to your left and you will see Jack's trailer. Because of the road configuration, you still need to go another block or so to the next street where you can make a left turn. Make the turn and head to Fifth Street (one way going south), where you will make another left turn. This will get you to the intersection where you can get easy access to the lot where The Dr. Of BBQ's trailer sits.

The Dr. is open until 8:00pm.

Have a good trip!

Buddy
  • Post #11 - August 28th, 2008, 1:50 pm
    Post #11 - August 28th, 2008, 1:50 pm Post #11 - August 28th, 2008, 1:50 pm
    ab wrote:Driving south tonight, wondering if there was a decent diner or something similar in Springfield for a pitstop...

edit: just read above that Cozy Dog is right off 55 - perfect.

Cozy Dog closes at 8. Hope that's late enough for you.

• Post #12 - August 28th, 2008, 2:25 pm
    Post #12 - August 28th, 2008, 2:25 pm Post #12 - August 28th, 2008, 2:25 pm
    By the way, as noted in t'other thread, Mel-O-Cream closes at noon, so it's not going to be your dessert unless you plan ahead.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #13 - August 28th, 2008, 2:47 pm
    Post #13 - August 28th, 2008, 2:47 pm Post #13 - August 28th, 2008, 2:47 pm
    Mike, thanks for the link to the other thread, it's nice to see some Springfield institutions getting some love when at times it feels like the entire town has been overrun with TGIMcFunsters.

I'm glad to see Gabatoni's mentioned, it's a classic in Springfield. Cracker crust, fresh toppings, nice sauce, definitely worth a stop if you are in Springfield and looking for pizza. Even when I'm full, I keep eating - their pizza is like candy and the pieces are so small you don't feel guilty about having another piece. :D

Gabatoni's
    300 E Laurel St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 522-0371

Another good option for pizza is Luca's. I only ever get it by the slice, but it is a very good, family owned Neapolitan style joint out by the mall. Great crust, even better sauce. If you are lucky, Luca himself takes your order. When I was a kid, his wife was always there too and he would yell "Mama, this nica little girl wantsa slice with the black olives anda ham." They were very dear people and the pizza is just as good at their new location.

Luca's Pizza
    2937 W Iles Ave
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 787-8884

Sorry for your bad horseshoe experience. I've never understood what the fuss over D'Arcy's is. Springfield has definitely moved away from the traditional sauce for horseshoes (the Leland Hotel's) which should be light, cheddary, and with just a hint of heat. The standard now seems to be heavy, gloppy, and flavorless. If you go back, perhaps you might hit Mel-O-Cream on Laurel followed up by a lunch at the Track Shack where they still serve the more traditional cheese sauce.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #14 - August 28th, 2008, 2:53 pm
    Post #14 - August 28th, 2008, 2:53 pm Post #14 - August 28th, 2008, 2:53 pm
    My favorite pizza in Springfield is Joe Gallina's. They do an excellent thin crust pizza and also have a great roast beef sandwich.

Here's another thread with suggestions: viewtopic.php?p=143585

Joe Gallina's Pizza
    432 east Monroe street
    Springfield, IL 62701
    (217) 522-5271
  • Post #15 - August 28th, 2008, 6:15 pm
    Post #15 - August 28th, 2008, 6:15 pm Post #15 - August 28th, 2008, 6:15 pm
    Hi,

While it may be too late for this occasion, the trick to finding Cozy Dog is to follow the old Route 66 through Springfield. How is this accomplished? Follow the brown Business 55 route that leaves I-55 and eventually returns to I-55, whether you are going north or south.

Following Business 55 through St. Louis takes you directly to Ted Drewes ice cream shack.

For several years, I took my nieces of the Route 66 tour of Illinois ending in St. Louis where incidental information like this was learned.

If it is after 8 PM, then continue south about 15 miles south of Springfield to Trucker's Homestead. They bake pie on the premises as well as sponsor the Blue Ribbon Pie competition at the Illinois State Fair every year.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #16 - August 28th, 2008, 7:15 pm
    Post #16 - August 28th, 2008, 7:15 pm Post #16 - August 28th, 2008, 7:15 pm
    Cathy,

As a Route 66 enthusiast I certainly appreciate your scenic and historic route. However, if one is trying to make good time, the most direct route is to take I-55 around to the Sixth Street exit on the south side of town and then double back north on Sixth. The Cozy Dog is less than a mile up the road from the exit.

Efficiently yours,

Buddy
  • Post #17 - August 28th, 2008, 7:56 pm
    Post #17 - August 28th, 2008, 7:56 pm Post #17 - August 28th, 2008, 7:56 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Cathy,

As a Route 66 enthusiast I certainly appreciate your scenic and historic route. However, if one is trying to make good time, the most direct route is to take I-55 around to the Sixth Street exit on the south side of town and then double back north on Sixth. The Cozy Dog is less than a mile up the road from the exit.

Efficiently yours,

Buddy

True, though for impulse moments my method gets you there without detailed instructions.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #18 - August 28th, 2008, 11:51 pm
    Post #18 - August 28th, 2008, 11:51 pm Post #18 - August 28th, 2008, 11:51 pm
    Ursiform wrote:Cozy Dog is absolutely worth a stop, even in their new digs (I will forever lament the loss of their long time home up the road with the Dairy Queen attached). I highly recommend anything involving pork, their fries, and, of course, the Cozy Dog.

Earlier this month I accompanied Cathy2 on another pie-related excursion to Springfield. I wasn't completely thrilled with Cozy Dog's tenderloin, a pre-fab pork patty, not awful but not great. I agree their fries are great though.

I also enjoyed their burger and chili (or is that chilli?), thoughtfully served with warm oyster crackers. And, of course, the Cozy Dog itself is beyond criticism.

Ursiform wrote:D'Arcy's is ok for Horseshoes, but not my favorite. I think their cheese sauce is too heavy and glutinous, it tends to congeal far too quickly for my taste. Not bad, just not my favorite. I prefer The Track Shack, a dive bar with excellent food (also located next to a Mel-O-Cream) and what I find to be the best overall horseshoe in Springfield. Their cheese sauce is lighter than most and has a good kick to it. My favorite is the Canadian Bacon horseshoe.

As mentioned in the other thread I didn't love the horseshoe last year at D'Arcy's Pint. I didn't care for either the sauce or fries.

Thanks for mentioning Track Shack (as well as the other places). I'm willing to try one more horseshoe so Track Shack it will be.

Ursiform wrote:Finally, I don't really think any visit to Springfield is complete without a stop at Maid Rite, where they still wrap your sandwiches and your complimentary gum drops in waxed paper.

I wanted to eat at Maid-Rite but unfortunately they close at 4pm. This is an historic business, America's first drive-thru restaurant (gets you thinking, who did it before the US of A?).

BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Just north of The Cozy Dog is a bright yellow trailer serving Springfield's best Barbecue. It is run by a buddy of mine who goes by the moniker, "Dr. Of BBQ".

It's on my list now. Thanks.
  • Post #19 - August 29th, 2008, 8:01 am
    Post #19 - August 29th, 2008, 8:01 am Post #19 - August 29th, 2008, 8:01 am
    Hi,

The Maid Rite serves wonderful root beer floats and even allows refills. A real treat.

Two new places are must visits.

Mekong serves Laotian and Thai food that is excellent.

Maya is a bar with wonderful authentic Mexican food. They make their own mole. The carnita are wonderful and they have two excellent chicken dishes. Their shrimp diablo is also good.

Tim

Mekong Cafe
    1308 S 2nd st
    217 391 2511

El Maya Mexican Cuisine
    131 E Jefferson
    217 541 6292
  • Post #20 - August 29th, 2008, 8:36 am
    Post #20 - August 29th, 2008, 8:36 am Post #20 - August 29th, 2008, 8:36 am
    Do any of you Springfield aficionados know if Popeye's BBQ is still open? As I recall from a visit some 30 years ago, Popeye was a Chicago Ex-pat and used an aquarium smoker. The Que was pretty good IIRC, of course, my BBQ palate is quite a bit more refined than it was 30 years ago, so my memory of the BBQ's goodness might be faulty.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #21 - August 29th, 2008, 10:57 am
    Post #21 - August 29th, 2008, 10:57 am Post #21 - August 29th, 2008, 10:57 am
    stevez wrote:Do any of you Springfield aficionados know if Popeye's BBQ is still open?

Yes, Popeye's is still open (but I haven't been yet). There may be some renovations in the future so be sure to call first.

Clay's Popeye's Bar-B-Que
    1121 S Grand Ave E
    Springfield IL
    217-522-0386
    closes at 6pm
  • Post #22 - September 3rd, 2008, 3:29 pm
    Post #22 - September 3rd, 2008, 3:29 pm Post #22 - September 3rd, 2008, 3:29 pm
    Cozy Dog was a perfect road-trip stop. I thought the burgers were perfect, thin, crispy edges, fresh buns. The cozy dogs fantastic and the fries were first-rate. A great experience... I'll be making another pit stop next time I drive down I-55.

FWIW - southbound on 55, I took Adlai Stevenson exit over to 6th, drove north a couple blocks to Cozy, then headed back down 6th to link back up with 55.

(and yes, I was too late for Mel-O-Cream, unfortunately. Settled for sickly sweet gas station coffee instead)
  • Post #23 - October 5th, 2008, 9:05 am
    Post #23 - October 5th, 2008, 9:05 am Post #23 - October 5th, 2008, 9:05 am
    Kathryn Rem: Horseshoe didn't fit this critic

By KATHRYN REM
    THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER
    Posted Oct 01, 2008 @ 12:43 AM

The only icky thing about the Gebert-Snyder family weekend trip to Springfield was a hamburger horseshoe.

-> Link to full State Journal-Register article plus comments
  • Post #24 - October 5th, 2008, 9:40 am
    Post #24 - October 5th, 2008, 9:40 am Post #24 - October 5th, 2008, 9:40 am
    If only you had been open on Sunday afternoon, Dr. of BBQ (I mentioned you by name but she made it a generic reference, by the way).
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #25 - October 5th, 2008, 11:23 am
    Post #25 - October 5th, 2008, 11:23 am Post #25 - October 5th, 2008, 11:23 am
    I'm heading home today from KC following a lovely weekend at The American Royal. Hoping to meet up with the good Dr. for dinner. Maybe Saputo's, maybe Gabatoni's, maybe someplace new the Dr. is keeping under his hat. I'll let you know.

Buddy
  • Post #26 - October 11th, 2008, 6:38 am
    Post #26 - October 11th, 2008, 6:38 am Post #26 - October 11th, 2008, 6:38 am
    THE STATE JOURNAL-REGISTER
    Posted Oct 10, 2008

One of Springfield’s most popular chili shops — Joe Rogers’ Original Recipe Chili Parlor, aka The Den — will have new owners next year after Marianne Rogers, daughter of the chili’s creator, sells the restaurant at 820 S. Ninth St. to longtime customers Ric and Rose Hamilton.

http://www.sj-r.com/homepage/x145259145 ... new-owners
  • Post #27 - October 11th, 2008, 10:56 pm
    Post #27 - October 11th, 2008, 10:56 pm Post #27 - October 11th, 2008, 10:56 pm
    Springfield Journal-Register wrote:The chili at Joe Rogers’ is made with the same recipe that Rogers’ parents — Joe and Pauline Rogers — sold at their 1945 chili parlor on South Grand Avenue East called The Den.

The beans and meat are cooked separately, which enables customers to get personalized orders. It can be prepared without beans, with extra beans, with extra meat or without meat.

Diners can specify how much oil they want in the bowl.

The chili comes in mild, medium, medium with a touch of hot, medium hot, hot and the J.R. Special, also known as firebrand.

Rogers opened the Ninth Street store in July 1997.

Rene G and I were served by Marianne when we visited Joe Roger's last summer. I ordered the medium, Rene G ordered hot. During our conversation, she very graciously gave him the firebrand to try. He ate it, though I could see he was ever so slightly changing color. A regular customer complained half jokingly he never received a complimentary bowl of chili. Rene G did finish the firebrand, thus earning the right to have his name on their wall of fame. Somewhere there is, "Rene G Chicago," on their wall.

Marianne told us about having sold her business once before and reclaiming it in court. The new owner/franchisee was supposed to buy the special spices as part of the agreement. Instead they took her spices to a lab for reverse engineering to allow them to source it themselves. A tickle of a memory they ultimately went bankrupt.

I was looking forward to seeing Marianne the next time I was in Springfield. She really was quite charming.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - February 10th, 2009, 9:43 pm
    Post #28 - February 10th, 2009, 9:43 pm Post #28 - February 10th, 2009, 9:43 pm
    I now have some old neighborhood friends who have to go downstate a few times a week for work and I joined them last week for a day of binge eating with a little sightseeing mixed in. I hadn't been in and around Springfield since my 8th grade field trip when we went to Cozy Dog which was by far the highlight. Hopefully this photo recap can help with this great thread which is full of information on a pretty damn impressive food destination. If corn dogs, 30's style burgers, chili and route 66 type food is your thing then take a trip this spring. I have plans for a route 66 trip this summer and Springfield is a great starting point for some great route 66 style eateries, the ones that haven't changed thru time.

Happy 200th President Lincoln a statewide celebration

Riding Route 66

Lincolns Springfield Home

cozy dog

cozy had a good 30's style burger but nowhere near as good as Krekels below

Springfield might be the most popular spot for chili outside Texas that I know of. Its chili selection and quality puts Chicago's to shame. They take it seriously down there and the Tavern style contains ground beef, beef suet, tons of grease, beans and different levels of heat. The hot is hot, trust me on that. It was funny because I saw one of Ozzie Guillen's good buddys a lobbyist and he was ordering about 8 cups of chili with no beans or meat at Joe Rogers. Thats just the grease. I enjoyed both chili spots greatly.

Joe Rogers Chili Parlor is still going strong.

They also have a tamale history down in Springfield

My favorite chili by far was the tavern style chili from a relatively new chili parlor by Springfield standards.

The tavern style 3 way is everything chili macs wants to be

The sandwich that put Springfield on the food map. Horseshoes much like sliders from White Castle are that fine line between amazing and disturbing. Between these things, the politics and the bowls of chili that turn into lard if they sit for more than 20 minutes, Springfield isn't easy on the heart or waist. I was mad that Darcys Pint had stopped offering the Obama Horseshoe which was a loco moco themed sandwich with hamburger pattys, rice and brown gravy and a fried egg that could of been something else...for better or worse. I went with the buffalo chicken. Governor Thompson, a mentor of a neighborhood friend explained that its the cheese sauce that makes Darcy's the best horseshoe in town, it cant be replicated.

Buffalo chicken Horseshoe

These stoner creations have more cheese than Wisconsin

Cathy2 wrote:HI,

Decatur is half way between Springfield and Champaign on IL-72, which passes through I-55 and I-57 respectively.

At a Christmas party, a friend who knows I do this food forum sidled up with recommendations for her family's hometown of Decatur.

Krekel's with 4 locations in Decatur serves a double cheese tomato burger as well as a lemon custard cone. I did a little search to discover I have eaten at Krekel's maybe 10 years ago. What reminded me was learning they have the Chicken Mobile. Long ago when my nieces were tiny, we spied the Chicken Mobile and followed it to its nest at Krekel's. The girls were very excited hanging out the car and screaming their admiration for the Chicken Mobile.

Decatur Fun Facts wrote:There are five Krekel's Kustard "burger joints" in Decatur. The trademark of the Rt. 36 location is a 1970's Cadillac converted into a Chickenmobile "complete with rooster tail and six-foot, red-eyed head." (page 149) The Chickenmobile can sometimes be seen driving around Decatur. The burgers reportedly "beat Big Macs hands-down." 217-362-0121.

While looking for more information on Krekels, I found this blog entry with a thumbnail sketch on the food scene:

Fort Fab wrote:If you're looking to sit, try Paul's on North Water. Once upon a time it was a confectionary, now it's a greasy spoon with great chili and a damn fine green river. Excellent shakes, too. A good old fashioned malt shop, good and cheap.

Thai: We don't hold with that sort of thing round here.

Mexican: El Matador at Pershing and Martin Luther King. Good, cheap, excellent service.

Breakfast: Jan's East End Grill on Brush College Rd has served my dad, my uncle, my grandfather, and a whole bunch of other cranky old coots every Satrday for a million years. Nothing fancy, but decent and cheap. For a more elegant Sunday brunch, the Main Hangar restaurant at the airport is good, and you sit right beside the tarmac and watch the planes come in and take off.

Diner: There are a bunch, and every old guy in town has his favorite. I like Jan's East End and Norma's.

Comfort food: French fries from Mr. G's

Vegan food?: Ha. Nice try.

Coffee shop with character: You'd be hard-pressed to find a $5.00 latte around here. People get their coffee with their eggs, or else they stop by the gas station.

Regional fare: Krekel's hamburgers are kind of Decatur's pride

Yer fav fancier place: Main Hangar at the airport

Others to recommend: Lock, Stock, and Barrel has a very nice lunch menu (and is one of the more popular bars in the evening). It's over by Millikin. And if you're downtown, go to Merchant Street and stop by Del's Popcorn Shop, even if it's just to inhale. Fresh popped popcorn, caramel apples, fudge, pralines...mmmm. Yum.

My friend made a second recommendation of Rocky's for their mozarella and/or string cheese wrapped in wonton wrappers, fried and sprinkled with garlic salt. I couldn't find them in the directory, so they may have bit the dust.

Krekel's Custard
    801 East Wood Street
    Decatur, IL 62521
    217-429-1122

Krekel's Custard
    1355 North Illinois Route 48
    Decatur, IL 62526
    217-362-0121

Krekel's Custard
    1340 North State Highway 121
    Mt Zion, IL 62549
    217-864-5725

Krekel's Custard
    2121 North Grand Avenue East
    Springfield, IL 62702
    217-525-4952
    http://www.krekelscustard.com/

Krekel's Kustard North
    3727 North Woodford Street
    Decatur, IL 62526
    217-875-4044

Krekels
    310 Carroll St
    Pawnee, IL 62558
    217-625-4952

Krekels Dairy Maid
    2320 E Main St
    Decatur, IL 62521
    217-423-1719

Davooda wrote:Decatur, IL has a place that offers the quintessential '30's-style burger that you seek. It is known as Krekel's Custard (because they also offer frozen custard and shakes made with same that are delicious). Namesake Bill Krekel passed away a feew years back but his progeny are running the place like he did. Krekel's popularized the "Chicken-Car" of central Illinois lore. He bought some Cadillac Fleetwoods and mounted fiberglass chicken heads and tails on them and painted them like Old Glory. Way ahead of his time in the marketing area...

The meat is sourced locally, ground fresh daily and never frozen. Pickles are sliced lengthwise, not a coin shape, which thrills me to no end. They are grilled to order and have that crispy, nearly burnt edge to them. Burgers are tightly wrapped in a waxy white paper and stuffed into a brown paper sack for carryout. When a little grease finds its way to the brown paper sack bottom you know you've gotten their best effort. There are several locations, including Springfield I think, but this is the original and still the best IMHO:

Krekel's Custard
    801 E Wood St
    Decatur, IL
    217-429-1122

Im always on the prowl for the perfect 30's style burger and Krekels in Springfield did a pretty perfect job. I always go double with the 30's style, I think its the perfect balance of meat and bun.

Thanks for the tips from this top notch thread. Hope these help. There are quite a few chili parlors down there though many are gone. I'm very interested in the history if anyone is from there and has any stories. I know how the Dew opened and started the trend. Its also the state gateway to Terlingua Texas. If you win the Springfield regional you can participate in the chili super bowl which I plan to do one day.

Cozy Dog Drive In
    2935 S 6th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 525-1992

Darcy's Pint
    661 W Stanford Ave
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 492-8800

Cook's Spice Rack & Chili Company
    910 N Grand Ave W
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 492-2695

Joe Rogers Original Recipe Chili Parlor
    820 S 9th St
    Springfield, IL 62703
    (217) 522-3722

Krekel's Custard
    2121 N Grand Ave E
    Springfield, IL 62702
    (217) 525-4952
  • Post #29 - February 12th, 2009, 8:57 pm
    Post #29 - February 12th, 2009, 8:57 pm Post #29 - February 12th, 2009, 8:57 pm
    I know that some people think they're basically a heart attack on a plate, but I love horseshoes, and try to have one whenever I'm in Springfield. This article includes a good pic (from D'Arcy's Pint in its old location, which is now the Dublin Pub) and a story about how horseshoes got their start. http://tinyurl.com/aep3ze
  • Post #30 - February 14th, 2009, 10:05 am
    Post #30 - February 14th, 2009, 10:05 am Post #30 - February 14th, 2009, 10:05 am
    i'm from decatur and i have never had a burger that beats krekel's double cheese.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more