LTH Home

Local Eats in South Florida (West Palm Beach to Miami)

Local Eats in South Florida (West Palm Beach to Miami)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Local Eats in South Florida (West Palm Beach to Miami)

Post #1 - January 14th, 2013, 3:40 pm
    Post #1 - January 14th, 2013, 3:40 pm Post #1 - January 14th, 2013, 3:40 pm
    I was down in the Sunshine State for 12 days in December and got around while there. After some Cuban sandwiches and drinking in Tampa we headed south. My parents have a place in Boynton Beach that my grandpa built when he started going down there in the 80's. So we stayed there a couple nights but you can only take so much country club living when you're not even 32 years old yet and dont golf. We spent a few nights in Miami and then headed to Key West to live young. Here are some spots in South Florida I hit up.

Sheila's Famous BBQ & Conch

West Palm Beach

First off let me say we went to WPB one night for eat and drinks and the central square place or whatever it is was a freaking madhouse. It took almost an hour to get a spot in the garage and all the Lambo's and Bentley's are double parked by valet so you gotta squeeze thru them too. Away from the glitz and glamor is this great little place. Sheila is from the Bahamas and cooks like her mom used to. I didn't try the BBQ but her fried cracked conch is outstanding.

Specialty of the House: Cracked Conch

La Granja

Our first night in we needed to get over to Wal-Mart for a few things and I passed by this hopping Peruvian spot in the same shopping center. It was packed with people of all races and class and the drive thru was buzzing so I said why not. I almost walked out when I saw the horrible "professional" photos of each dish but I'm glad I didn't. The spit roasted chicken was juicy and full of flavor and the seafood fried rice was fantastic. It turns out this is a local chain in South Florida and for a little while they had an outlet in Palatine of all places. Get the garlic potatoes as your side.

Popular Peruvian Eats in Boynton Beach

Big Al's Steaks

Del Ray Beach

First off, wow! Del Ray Beach is a whole lot different then when I was hanging there as a kid. Atlantic Avenue is a pretty hopping spot these days huh? We enjoyed fresh oysters from City Oyster and drinks at a place whose names escapes me. Anyone who's been at a bar in a country club in Florida on NFL Sunday's knows theres tons of east coast transplants in South FLA. So theres a few cheese steak places and Big Al's was pretty good. Fresh thick sliced ribeye with good bread did the trick in the wee hours, it's open until 4a Thurs-Sat. Better than Checkers and Miami Subs. Oh and the public beach here is still one of the best in state.

Popular After Drinks Eat in Del Ray Beach

LaSpada's Hoagies

Chester PA Style: Fresh Sliced Meats Piled High on East Coast Bread drowning in Oil

Speaking of subs or hoagies as they're called in PA here's another Pennsylvania transplant. By way of Chester this place is a popular sandwich shop with spots throughout South Florida. I stopped into one in Boca Raton and appreciated the fact the sandwich meat was sliced to order and as is key in the Sandwich state the seasoning and oils on this baby made for a required shower after eating. The large sandwich ($10) can feed four, I couldn't finish but half of mine. Some great east coast style hot cherry peppers too and I liked how they wrapped the meats, cheese and toppings with more meat. It all held together good.

East Coast Style Subs in Boca Raton

The Whales Rib

Deerfield Beach

The big LOL of the food world came this past year came with Pete Wells' review of Guy Fieri's monstrosity in Times Square. I dont doubt its bad but theres plenty of other celeb food folk who have done alot less for small mom and pop shops than Fieri he could of bashed. I dont watch the DDD but I do find he's been to and brought attention to some great places I've been thru. Another example here. We came twice in four nights including our final meal the night before heading home.

I'm a BIG, BIG fan of steamed rock shrimp and these were perfect

Deerfield Beach is another fun little town with some stuff going down when the sun does. The crowd here seemed to be a little more down to earth than WPM and Del Ray with alot of surfers and younger newly transplanted couples. The Whales Rib is a popular place to eat and drink for folks from all walks. They have lots of fresh seafood on special including those beautiful rock shrimp up above. We got those both times and also their famous blackened dolphin (mahi mahi) sandwich. It comes on an amazingly soft bun and is as good of a fish sandwich I've ate.

Famous Dolphin Sandwich

Kelly's Landing

New England Style Seafood in Fort Lauderdale

We rode up from South Beach to meet a friend of mine from college. He's from Boston and thus a big Patriots fan so we met up with him at his local watering hole on gameday that Sunday night. Kelly's is located in a strip mall but dont let that deter you. Alot of places down here are. It's got the vibe of what you'd picture a popular place to eat and drink in New England has. Hell even the waitress was from NE and had the thick accent to prove it. The place was hopping with older folks from the area that transplant down there for winter.

Connecticut Style Lobster Roll (served hot)

She went with the roll and I went with a favorite of mine you dont find everywhere, the fried clams. I got a bite of the roll which was good. The bun just ok but they didn't skimp on the meat and it was sweet. It had been forever since I had fried clams again after the first time I tried them at Woodman's in Essex, MA back in college. But with the opening of New England Seafood Company in Chicago I've been eating them alot more of late. These from Kelly's were comparable to theirs and cost a little less since they're just down the coast.

Ipswich Fried Clam Dinner

Southport Raw Bar

Fort Lauderdale

Located in the strip mall next to the strip mall where Kelly's is at is Southport Raw Bar. We stopped into here afterwards on my friends rec of it being the cheapest raw bar in the city and thus one of the freshest since they have constant traffic. The oysters and steamed little necks were a nice dessert cap after dinner.

Image Image
    Oysters on the Half Shell and Steamed Clams

Jamaica Kitchen

Miami

This another spot which that guy from Food Network has been too. I actually remember seeing that episode and I wanted to check it out when heading back. This is a Jamaican Chinese restaurant. ICYDK Jamaica has a decent Chinese population and the owners of this places parents went to Jamaica from China. So the owners are Chinese but born and raised in the Jamrock. They speak in a patois slang and it's just kind of funny at first, especially if not expecting it. Like the Southern slang used by the people with Chinese ancestors in the Mississippi Delta. I tried their extra hot spicy beef patty and the heat was real. Also one of their signature Jamaican/Chinese eats the pork belly and ham choy. Excellent.

Pork and Ham Choy with Red Beans & Rice and a Red Dot Hot Beef Patty

Chef Creole Seafood Takeout

Little Haiti (Miami)

Another place I've seen on TV (No Reservations) and was told by my friend who lives in Miami to go. There are several Chef Creole locations in Miami as the owner has built a name brand for himself but the original seafood takeout in the Little Haiti neighborhood is best. It feels like a seafood shack in the Caribbean and while its takeout they have a shaded outdoor area with tables and chairs to sit down and eat at. We went with the whole fried fresh snapper and their famous seasoned shrimp.

Whole Fried Snapper

This picture was taken before I dumped my cup of sauce and fresh sliced onions and pikliz, a hot Haitian relish, on it. So it may look plain from here but with all that added on it was pretty heavenly and "hella" fresh man. Their shrimp and its seasoned batter was even better. I think I paid a little over $20 for all that and the people working the place were great. The man himself, Chef Creole was there making sure we were happy. I'll be back when I return.

Famous Creole Seasoned Shrimp

Fritay

Little Haiti (Miami)

Not far from Chef Creole is Fritay. I said "what the hey" and decided to try this place too. It's indoors but they one table. From behind the glass they have a steam table of whats on their small menu. Fritay means fried and their fried chicken was named best in Miami by the Miami New Times. I guess that was before Yardbird, it was ok. The fried pork was ok too but the fried acre and sides with them were great. the acre tasted like potato pancakes to me. This place too was super cheap and they sold their pikliz by the bottle so I got a few of those to go home with.

Fried Pork with Acre and Beans and Rice

El Mago de las Fritas

Little Havana (Miami)

Long on my radar I've actually never had a frita cubana in Florida. I've made them but now can come to understand that just like a good Cuban sandwich, you need a certain type of bread for these. This place is a popular pick for many including the President. Mago himself was there and he made my frita which is a Cuban take on the hamburger. It comes with a seasoned beef/pork blended patty with shoestring potatoes and onions added on in between some really good bread. I loved it.

Frita Cubana with Cheese

The Yardbird

South Beach

Well after three days (with a GF) in South Beach, I was about ready to leave. It's like Vegas in that it's fun for a couple days but that's all you need. There's all sorts of people trying to get you to come in to their happy hour deals which they say is 2 for 1 but that's by the round. So you end up paying $32 for four super sweet drinks. The crafted cocktail scene hasn't really hit South Beach but Yardbird is the exception. Its not up to the levels of Violet Hour, Barrelhouse etc... but they mix some good drinks and at $11 your paying that everywhere here. Might as well be good.

One of the only spots to get a decent cocktail South Beach

Anything with peach and bourbon is good by me so I was sipping down on a concoction with those on both visits. I had camera problems as mine jammed while down here and I didn't get it fixed until the last night when I played rough with it. But we ordered the chicken biscuits drizzled in honey twice because they were as good as hyped. The fried chicken here is also really good and that talk has got them a location coming in NYC. We had a cornmeal crusted catfish on special that day which was quite piquant.

Chicken Biscuits as good as those in Nashville

While my camera was down I tried the NYC transplant Shake Shack with my friend and thought it was just ok. I had pelmeni in Little Moscow (Sunny Isles) and we also had some really fresh ceviche at a great little place called My Ceviche. Also enjoyed grouper chowder and fresh fish at Garcia's, a great locally loved spot on the river my friend brought us too. Dinner our last night in town was at Tap Tap and that was really fun and tasty too. To explore some eats even further south in Homestead and down into the Keys CLICK HERE.

Better go walk some of this off...See y'all next time.

Sheila's Famous BBQ, Conch, & More
    406 Southern Blvd
    West Palm Beach, FL 33405
    (561) 951-2723

La Granja Restaurants
    Locations throughout Florida

Big Al's Steaks
    450 East Atlantic Avenue
    Delray Beach, FL 33483
    (561) 819-1888

LaSpada's Original Hoagies
    Locations throughout South Florida

The Whales Rib Raw Bar
    2031 Northeast 2nd Street
    Deerfield Beach, FL 33441
    (954) 421-8880

Kelly's Landing
    1305 Southeast 17th Street
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
    (954) 760-7009

Southport Raw Bar
    1536 Cordova Road
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
    (954) 525-2526

Jamaica Kitchen
    8736 Southwest 72nd Street
    Miami, FL 33173
    (305) 596-2585

Chef Creole Seafood Takeout
    200 Northwest 54th Street
    Miami, FL 33127
    (305) 754-2223

Fritay Restaurant
    12143 Northwest 7th Avenue
    North Miami, FL 33168
    (786) 866-9674

El Mago de las Fritas
    5828 Southwest 8th Street
    Miami, FL 33144
    (305) 266-8486

Yardbird Southern Table & Bar
    1600 Lenox Avenue
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    (305) 538-5220
  • Post #2 - January 14th, 2013, 6:13 pm
    Post #2 - January 14th, 2013, 6:13 pm Post #2 - January 14th, 2013, 6:13 pm
    This is getting a little ridiculous. I think you are due for a trip to Italy, Spain or maybe Thailand, so I we can read the reports of 1,000 meals - though it might kill you.

Man I miss rock shrimp. Before there was a market for them, you'd always see them in FL sold from trunks and tailgates back in the old days. Now Trader Joes and Whole Foods will tend to have large bags of pre-cooked, shelled, way too salty rock shrimp, which I always pick up. The real shame with the pre-cooked, shelled jobs is the lack of shell. The rock shrimp's tough shell has a concentrated, intense seafood flavor that no other shrimp can hold a candle to. Similar to the fancy langoustines or scampis you might see at a high end Italian or Japanese place from time to time, but more so. They add a lot to paella.

The whole report really captures South Florida and reminds me how similar that part of the state is to L.A. when it comes to the food geography. It's all about the stripmalls and getting far away from SoBe/West Hollywood (with some good exceptions here and there). Nice one, as always.
  • Post #3 - January 14th, 2013, 6:30 pm
    Post #3 - January 14th, 2013, 6:30 pm Post #3 - January 14th, 2013, 6:30 pm
    Great post as always DaBeef. I'm not in a hurry to go back to Florida anytime soon, so this (unlike your Midwest and Plains posts) didn't interest me much. I have so much of the rest of the country to see first. But I know I'll get dragged down there once again sooner than I'd like.
  • Post #4 - January 15th, 2013, 7:15 am
    Post #4 - January 15th, 2013, 7:15 am Post #4 - January 15th, 2013, 7:15 am
    Beef - you're killing me! I am in south Florida all week (Palm Beach on south) on business and have a full slate of business meals planned with NO room for a side (pesonal) jaunt.

But you have inspired me for future visits! You da man.

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #5 - January 15th, 2013, 7:28 am
    Post #5 - January 15th, 2013, 7:28 am Post #5 - January 15th, 2013, 7:28 am
    As mentioned above, my week is all business so meal locations are not necessarily my choice. HOwever, I did recently have a GREAT lunch (albeit a pricey one) at The Gazebo Restaurant in Boca Raton. In fact, I had the best piece of grilled Atlantic salmon I have ever eaten - right up there with the best Copper River salmon I have enjoyed in Seattle. Hot all the way through, flaky and unctuous with a crisp but not dry exterior from grilling - these guys know how to grill salmon.

The Gazebo Restaurant is locally-owned and a throwback to the days when Frank, Sammie and Dean might actually be awake to go to lunch. The place was filled with what appeared to me to be Boca clubbers dining there because their clubs were closed (it was a Monday). Staff (all male) were dressed a la Berghoff and there was even a dining room captain sweeping table to table to chat up the regulars.

The food was excellent. Many had the salmon (for which they are well known locally) which is served with a carrot souffle (delicious) and non-descript whipped potatoes. Some had the Gazebo salad which you can get topped with crab (huge lump crab), salmon, shrimp or grilled chicken. There was a dessert tray (I am told the cart is reserved for dinner hours) and coffee service was in highly-polished individual pewter pots.

If you need a semi-fancy place (there are much more upscale options I am told) to take the in-laws, parents, business clients, etc the Gazebo could fill the bill. Lunch totaled around $30 per person all-in.

The Gazebo Restaurant
    4199 N Federal Highway 32
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
    561-361-2333

*edited to add address and phone

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #6 - January 16th, 2013, 9:56 am
    Post #6 - January 16th, 2013, 9:56 am Post #6 - January 16th, 2013, 9:56 am
    You had me at Shelia's BBQ! A most excellent report!
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #7 - January 20th, 2013, 11:14 am
    Post #7 - January 20th, 2013, 11:14 am Post #7 - January 20th, 2013, 11:14 am
    JeffB wrote:This is getting a little ridiculous. I think you are due for a trip to Italy, Spain or maybe Thailand, so I we can read the reports of 1,000 meals - though it might kill you.

What's up Jeff, all in due time. A couple of longtime friends from the neighborhood have set up shop in Barcelona and I'm an investor with them. It's the new Amsterdam over there. I've been saying I was gonna get out there for a while now. I wont let 2013 go by without stopping thru. My friends been telling me he has all sorts of trips planned for when I do with of course food stops too. You're dead on about the rock shrimp, their shells give them so much flavor. Shame we cant get the fresh stuff here.

Davooda wrote:But you have inspired me for future visits! You da man.

My pleasure. Glad everyone enjoyed it and you enjoy the weather.
  • Post #8 - August 27th, 2013, 12:12 am
    Post #8 - August 27th, 2013, 12:12 am Post #8 - August 27th, 2013, 12:12 am
    I got about 8 hours (minus meetings) in Palm Beach next week and the majority of the Miami recs above are way out of the way for me.

If anyone has ANY recs between Delray and West Palm Beach that doesn't require an hour, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm going to Rachel's "steakhouse".

TIA.
  • Post #9 - August 27th, 2013, 4:15 pm
    Post #9 - August 27th, 2013, 4:15 pm Post #9 - August 27th, 2013, 4:15 pm
    Reef Grill aka Capt Charlie's in Juno on A1A around Prosperity Farms Rd. 20 min from the airport max. Best day boat fish around and a restauranteur that knows his stuff. T-wa shrimp, hog or yellowtail snapper, tempura grouper cheeks, gr oyster gratin, gr cali, torrtizza, pnut butter pie. Great wine list w/very reasonable pricing. Very busy all the time. Expect to wait 3 doors down @ their other place aka "3 doors down". Eat @ Reef though. Worth it.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7211&sp=447413________________
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #10 - August 28th, 2013, 9:21 am
    Post #10 - August 28th, 2013, 9:21 am Post #10 - August 28th, 2013, 9:21 am
    Spoto's Oyster Bar in Palm Beach Gardens has very good seafood. It's about 15-20 minutes away.

http://www.spotosoysterbar.com/
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
  • Post #11 - August 28th, 2013, 1:26 pm
    Post #11 - August 28th, 2013, 1:26 pm Post #11 - August 28th, 2013, 1:26 pm
    Thanks, Team.

Looksl ike Spoto's and Capt Charlie's are direct competitors. A friend who's there literally right now ended up at Havana (West PB) last night, so that'll take care of my media noche needs after landing.

VI wrote of some delis, and despite David Sax's writing concerning Florida, I intend to find some unironic Jewish grub. Flakowitz seems to fit the bill (as does 3G's). 6 rugelachs for $2.75 is an amazing deal by LA standards.
    Last edited by TonyC on August 28th, 2013, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #12 - August 28th, 2013, 1:29 pm
    Post #12 - August 28th, 2013, 1:29 pm Post #12 - August 28th, 2013, 1:29 pm
    All due respect but Spoto's is not in the same league as Reef Grill. Flakowitz has excellent whitefish spread and bialiy's.
  • Post #13 - September 6th, 2013, 11:05 am
    Post #13 - September 6th, 2013, 11:05 am Post #13 - September 6th, 2013, 11:05 am
    Jazzfood wrote:All due respect but Spoto's is not in the same league as Reef Grill. Flakowitz has excellent whitefish spread and bialiy's.

Sadly, Reef Grill (both doors) was closed between 3-5pm and I didn't get to eat nuthin', despite driving 20min+ north of airport.

Still, I did OK. From Gary's Boca post, I hit up Fran's, which had since changed hands one more time. The new owners (2 brothers) are super nice, and the recipe supposedly remains the same. All the fries/onion rings are bought frozen, hence I avoided. Went straight for 2 pieces of dark, and they looked like this.

They were a bit salty, but the light crust was flaky, crunchy and the medium sized thighs were juicy, at just the right temp despite sitting briefly under the heat lamp. The fact that it's in the same parking lot as Flakowitz Bagel Inn of East Boca makes this place a gem.

Flakowitz Bagel Inn's whitefish salad
    $10, for well over half a pound of smoky, salty whitefish. I had to separate this into two meals, and the fact the salad was still edible after spending 5 hours in a Florida car, plus 1 connecting flight, made me a believer in the "old time" food preservation tradition. Since it was Rosh, Flakowitz had sold a ton of challah that morning, and the room just had a giddiness that is apparently NOT the norm for this place.

Of note, I went to 3G's (based on Sax's rec here), but they were oddly closed. Again, it was the second day of New Year, which makes is even more confusing since many other MOT families pulled up also looking for lunch. A Boca retiree type mentioned it was closed until 3P.M. and she had no intention of leaving though it was only 11:45 A.M.

Lastly, I needed potable coffee, and I found Harold's Coffee Lounge in Northhood. They served Intelli off a La Marzocco GB5. This place was in the 'hood; it felt like a parcel of Pilsen uprooted into West Palm Beach. Super odd. The latte art was half-assed, but they didn't balk when I asked for a gibraltar. The gibraltar ended up being just a small latte (~5 oz of milk) which isn't at all "right", but whatever, it had an interesting vibe and carries Chicago beans.

• Post #14 - October 27th, 2013, 9:56 pm
    Post #14 - October 27th, 2013, 9:56 pm Post #14 - October 27th, 2013, 9:56 pm
    Excellent original post and follow ups! I will be in Ft Lauderdale a week before thanksgiving but sadly not with a foodie, need one amazing lunchtime stop from FLL to the W hotel....and I don't really know the geography well so any suggestions welcome.

DaBeef I wanna travel with you man!
  • Post #15 - October 28th, 2013, 5:13 pm
    Post #15 - October 28th, 2013, 5:13 pm Post #15 - October 28th, 2013, 5:13 pm
    I am not sure it qualifies as a local eat, but if you spend any time with Marco at Sapori in Boca, you will agree it belongs in this conversation and others. Forget the new crazy high rating in Zagat, this place is the best food in or around Boca period. Yes, it is in a strip mall. Yes, it has mediocre lighting. But Marco and his staff (a shout out for Emerson as well) create beautiful Italian food. Have been there 20+ times over the last several years and could not speak more highly of this local eatery.
  • Post #16 - October 28th, 2013, 6:55 pm
    Post #16 - October 28th, 2013, 6:55 pm Post #16 - October 28th, 2013, 6:55 pm
    A couple places in Miami I try to hit every time I'm there:

Garcia's - outdoor seating on the river - have their own boats for fresh fish
    398 NW North River Drive
    Miami, FL 33128
    http://www.garciasmiami.com

If on South Beach & sick of the rope/club thing, yet don't want to leave SOBE, hit Puerto Sagua for Cuban:
    700 Collins Ave
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    http://southflorida.menupages.com/resta ... estaurant/

A spot I've only dined at once in Ft Lauderdale but found terrific was Eduardo De San Angel, it was the first place I ever tried huitlacoche
    2822 E Commercial Blvd
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
    http://www.eduardodesanangel.com

--
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #17 - October 28th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    Post #17 - October 28th, 2013, 7:07 pm Post #17 - October 28th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    +1 for Puerto Sagua--very simple food but an oasis in a sea of overpriced, underwhelming offerings.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #18 - December 3rd, 2013, 3:32 pm
    Post #18 - December 3rd, 2013, 3:32 pm Post #18 - December 3rd, 2013, 3:32 pm
    Another vote for Yardbird's chicken biscuits. Not too much to say about them. Excellent, fresh, flaky, not-too-dense biscuits with juicy chicken surrounded by a thin crisp coat of breading. Menu now calls for jalapeno jelly, but the hot honey I opted for should be sold by the bottle.

chicken 1.jpg

chicken 2.jpg
  • Post #19 - December 25th, 2013, 6:46 pm
    Post #19 - December 25th, 2013, 6:46 pm Post #19 - December 25th, 2013, 6:46 pm
    Several spots I try and get to when I'm in Miami Beach on business several times each year...

+1 Puerto Sagua Restaurant

Joe's Take Away
    11 Washington Avenue
    Miami, FL 33139
    (305) 673-0365
    (casual version of next-door neighbor, Joe's Stone Crab. Plenty of tables and a bar as well, with everything
    to go packaging. Menu is similar but somewhat more casual, but quality is the same)

Pizza Bar
    1627 Collins Ave
    Miami Beach, FL ‎33139
    (305) 672-6880 ‎ · pizzabar.com
    (New York style, best slice I've had in South Florida)

Taco Rico Tex-Mex
    1608 Alton Rd
    Miami Beach, FL ‎33139
    (305) 535-5757 ‎ · tacoricomiami.com
    (Order at the counter and it's brought to your table. Basic Tex-Mex, with excellent Chicken offerings and outstanding
    homemade salsas)

The Alibi
    218 Espanola Way
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    (305) 674-3448
    alibi.me‎
    (Basically a bar, and can do without the smoking allowed in such spots, but the best Chicken Cheesesteak I've had
    outside of Phila)
  • Post #20 - December 7th, 2015, 11:31 am
    Post #20 - December 7th, 2015, 11:31 am Post #20 - December 7th, 2015, 11:31 am
    Was back down in the Sunshine State this past Thanksgiving. Same base as before and basically the same itinerary as far as exploring. I can only sit around doing nothing at the pool for so long, so we were down in Miami a couple nights and also did the Keys. Some people will tell you there's lots of hot garbage when it comes to the food in Florida but those are the same people who seek out Gibsons and Pizzeria Uno when in Chicago. I agree that most of the nicer higher end restaurants are very vanilla and don't get me started on the cocktails I could've mixed back in grade school, but the strip mall eats are strong. Because of the weather and what not Florida attracts people from all over the globe so there's lots of different options as far as food but it's the Caribbean and South American eats you really want to seek out. Those and the places slanging fresh seafood bought off the boat that morning. Lets roll.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Kersmon Caribbean Restaurant

Greenacres, FL

Aside from Cuban food, Jamaican is probably the most common Island cuisine down here. I didnt get a chance to snap any pics of what might've been the best thing I ate while leaving in a club in Miami in the wee hours of the morning. There was a guy on the sidewalk pushing real deal jerk chicken grilled over pimento branches. Amazing. Then there was this place up in Greenacres. Perfect scores on Yelp with lots of praise heaped upon the food and the ladies cooking it. I agree with all of it. Extra tender oxtail in a deep brown sauce with some of the best rice and peas I can remember. The type of place I could be a regular at.

Oxtail With Beans
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Aunty Sue's Roti To Go

Margate, FL

I had intents of uncovering a few Trinidadian spots but two of them were closed for athe week due to the Holiday. Luckily for me this place was in the next strip mall over from one of them. Lots of Caribbean-Indian eats in this suburb here. My goal was to finally try a Bake and Shark sandwich which along with Roti and Doubles are the staples of Trinidadian food. Doubles being little sandwiches with fried flat bread filled with channa (curried chickpeas). Usually spots ask if you want "Peppa" which means hot sauce, which usually means straight fire and not for the weak. Love me a double or two and this was a really good but man that peppa sauce was hell.

A Trinidadian Double

Bake and Shark sandwiches are hugely popular all over the island but they're especially associated with Maracas Beach. Kind of in the same way jerk chicken is always linked to Boston Beach in Jamaica. The "bake" part of it is fried flatbread which makes as the bread while the shark part is just that. After waiting maybe 40 minutes I was too hungry to ask questions and forgot to inquire abiout what type of fish they were using. Bake and Sharks are typically dressed with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppa sauce and other condiments such as ketchup and garlic sauce. I asked for mine with whatever is typical and got this big ass sandwich I could barely finish. I have no other Bake and Sharks to compare it to since the other spots were closed but it was enjoyed.

Bake n' Shark Sandwich

Hammond's Bakery

Lauderhill, FL

Here's a mostly Jamaican town down the road from Ft. Lauderdale. I know some people from here and they were home for the holidays and took me to their favorite snack spot. It was about 5p when we arrived so there was a line out the door from the after work crowd though it moved surprisingly fast for a Caribbean joint. They had the days Daily Gleaner up on the wall for those wanting to get the current events back home while waiting in line.

a peek inside

Pretty typical Jamaican bakery, might as well have been in Jamaica. The patties here come with a much more flaky crust than most others I've tried, which are all flaky but these were so much so Head and Shoulders needed to be called in. Excellent quick snack option for those that live near here.

Jamaican Beef Patty

Havana

West Palm Beach, FL

Here's your stop for food at all hours. They have a walk up window for the after hours crowd which I took full advantage of after a holiday party at a local watering hole. Much like Italian beef theres more bad Cuban sandwiches than there are good ones and this one fell somewhere in between. It seems like most everyone that makes them forgot that there's a perfect balance to follow. Too much of one thing takes the flavor profile away from where you want it to be. This sandwich had way too much ham and the mustard was poured on with no regard. That said I'm a Cuban Sandwich elitist so I'm way more pickier than most because this was a damn good sandwich considering what the other options to eat around town were.

Cuban Sandwich

Juana La Cubana

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'd heard about some top of the chain vaca frita aka fried beef being served here and made a mental note. I rode over for lunch one day and assumed google maps steered me in the wrong direction when it said I was close and all I could see was a lake with homes around it. Then I spotted a sign and sure enough there was a restaurant. I wasn't sure about the vaca frita when I saw the guy take a piece of cooked steak out the fridge but it was all smooth sails from there. They cook the beef and then slice it until it's barely intact. It then goes on the flattop and gets bathed in mojo and other oils before some onions get the same treatment. End Result is a flavor profile similar to corned beef hash which I love so I adored their take on this classic Cuban dish. I'll be back for it next time I'm in town.

Vaca Frita

Good Eats 33

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Another gemmer in Ft. Lauderdale, also in an obscure area, this time surrounded by warehouse businesses. We dont have many Venezuelan options in Chicago but I sure wish we do. Well I wish we had more arepa shops anyway. I highly recommend Good Eats 33 for breakfast as their arepas were outstanding. This one has bacon, egg, white cheese, and black beans and if the option to eat it was near me I'd have breakfast more often. I got great service from the family that owns the place and just loved their offerings on the popular Venezuelan snack.

Arepa with Bacon, Egg, Cheese, and Black Beans

Los Bobos Cafeteria

Doral, FL

The suburb of Doral sits right next to Miami and it's a hub for Latin American eats particularly Venezuelan. Though I'd heard good things about this Cuban cafe and stopped on the way to the Keys. Their Cuban sandwich was ranked in Miami's Top 10 by the Miami New Times and it's picture spoke to me. Said to have some extra flavorful roast pork in their Cuban I ate one for breakfast but couldn't really tell. There was way more ham so that's mostly what I tasted. As always the bread was the best part of it. A suitable snack but nothing to make me think the options here are better than those in Tampa.

Cuban Sandwich

Pepitolandia

Doral, FL

Post-booze food in Doral. I couldn't believe how many families were eating here around Midnight. Popular spot in a strip mall with a few other Venezuelan businesses including a place that specialized in Tequenos which is a Venezuelan style cheese stick. Here they practice the Pepito sandwich which is basically those crazy South American hot dogs with infinite toppings in steak sandwich form. I asked the beauty working the register which one was her favorite and ordered it. I believe it was called the bistro and I believe I needed about 7-8 more mojitos on top of the 7-8 I drank to really enjoy this. It had as much cheese as a slice of deep dish along with infinite amounts of mayo based sauce and potato chips and everything else on it I couldn't taste including the beef somewhere in there.

Pepito Sandwich

Finka Table & Tap

Miami, FL

Here we have what's supposed to be one of Miami's hottest restaurants according to the people over at Eater. It's away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach so I thought it would be a good spot to hit up post Keys on our way back to Boynton Beach. Surprisingly the cocktails were pretty good here. The drinks I ordered were well balanced and boozy which is what I want. The food is a mixture of Cuban, Korean, Peruvian and it was good. Nothing to get too excited over though the fried rice did have righteous wok flavor. I'm pretty much done with the trendy dining scene in Miami. Next time in I'll further explore the strip malls of Dade County.

Cuban Fried Rice

Hullabaloo

Popular Italian Spot in WPB: Roasted Pork Sandwich with broccoli rabe and pickled onions (pictured) was very good and the zucchini chips they came with were stellar. A mushroom gnocchi dish was also on point but the cocktails were awful.

Mai-Kai

Fort Lauderdale

Had to stop in to the world famous Mai Kai which was named the best tiki bar in the world by members of Critiki. Florida isnt all that old so they dont have establishments going back a century and what not but Mai Kai is a glimpse into 50 years ago. It opened to the public in 1956 and much of it remains the same, though it has to have grown. The place is huge and they still do dinner shows and all that other hoopla but the best time to go is probably Happy Hour when the drinks are half off from their normal prices which float around $15. We sat at the bar and enjoyed a few boozy albeit fruity drinks. This isnt Lost Lake (Chicago), Smugglers Cove (San Fransisco) or even Foundation Tiki (Milwaukee) but the drinks were better than say Hala Kahiki which I know isn't saying much.

a peek inside

Fish Shack

Pompano Beach, FL

First time here but it wont be my last. Another hidden spot away from the water but well known with locals and those willing to do a little research. The space is very small with 5 tables and maybe 8 seats at the bar. No wait on this visit but I'm sure they get pretty busy. Fish Shack is a classic Florida style fish shack which is a no frills bar in a beach community with a mainly local seafood menu, cold beer, and wings. The original Hooters up in Clearwater was one before becoming a behemoth.

Buffalo Tiger Shrimp

Tempted by their wings, which smelled great, we opted for an order of Buffalo shrimp which is a guilty pleasure of mine at Hooters. These were made with fresh local tiger shrimp and a classic style buffalo sauce that hit the spot with what I was looking for. As soon as I saw Hogfish on the specials board I knew what else I wanted as it's one of my favorite tastes of fish. Two thumbs up for lunch.

Blackened Hogfish Sandwich

Tark's of Dania Beach

Dania Beach, FL

Another popular small Florida style seafood shack. I didnt like this place as much as the one up above. The Conch salad was listed as a specialty and it was good when the pieces were tender but when they were chewy not so much.

Conch Salad

Wings and Clams are the other often ordered menu items with the flouring station right there in the open. We watched as the guy breaded each belly up and then fried them to a light golden hue. They were tasty but not on the level of the ones we had in Maine and Massachusetts this past summer.

Fried Clam Bellies

Captain Charlie's Reef Grill

Juno Beach, FL

Last night in town we rode up A1A and got dinner at this crowd-pleasing seafood stop mentioned upthread. We got a seat at the bar after about a 20 minute wait a few doors down at A Few Doors Down. If you like to be in on the action the bar is a good place to sit as the open air kitchen extends around it. The menu is ever changing but the staples fished out of local waters are almost always available and served in a few different ways. Lots of people make an entire meal out of the small plates which isnt a bad way to go. We were in good hands with Rusty the owner and also a regular who's name I forget but so I was told eats there a few times a week. Everything pictured below was $92 along with a beer and a wine. Pretty fair pricing I thought, we ate more than most need to.

Tempura Fried Grouper Cheeks - Some of the best fried fish i;ve ate of it. Loved the pile of acidic cole slaw laying underneath the cheeks.

Crab Cakes - Basically all meat. We had to get an order of these after seeing another go under the broiler. Just what we wanted.

Blackened Yellowtail Snapper - This was her choice and it was a good one. I thought the fish was as good as any piece we had this trip.

Grilled Wahoo - A tad bit undercooked but I didn't really care as I wasn't going to wait for another plate and what it was wasn't going to kill me. Black beans and Rice are a nice side to go with the fresh fish options.

Peppered Tuna - This was our dessert as recommended by Rusty. Cooked rare as requested it's got both vinegar and blueberries amongst other stuff and man was it good. I never would've thought to order it so I'm glad it was rec'd.

Key Largo Fisheries Backyard Grill

Key Largo, FL

The plan was to make a triumphant return visit to Knaus Berry Farm for a box of their cinnamon buns which remain the greatest baked treat I have ever had. I've seen some absurdly long lines at places like Franklin's Barbecue in Austin and The Clam Box in Ipswich but what I saw at Knaus was insane. At least 300 people in line. We drove by and headed to the Keys. Though I found myself wondering about all the Mexican taco stands alongside the road, usually paired with a fresh juicery as this is citrus and berry country. Something for my next trip in. This trip consisted of a pitstop at Key Largo Fisheries where they have a grill in the back on the water. We hadn't had any grouper yet so a sandwich of it was in order. It hit the spot like they all do down here.

Blackened Grouper Sandwich

Of course last but not least is some Florida stone crab as it is the season. I think they were going for $24/lb for the mediums on this day. All sizes taste the same its just a matter of how much work you want to do in getting the sweet luscious meat out of the shell. I ate two pounds there and bought another two on the way back as it was a bit cheaper than the spots in Key West. Speaking of which I almost exclusively did repeat food visits while there. That's it for this trip.

Florida Stone Crab

Kersmon Caribbean Restaurant
    4622 Jog Rd
    Greenacres, FL 33463
    (561) 968-5656

Aunty Sue's Roti To Go
    2718 N State Rd 7
    Margate, FL 33063
    (954) 532-4958

Hammond's Bakery
    4224 NW 12th St
    Lauderhill, FL 33313
    (954) 583-3554

Havana
    6801 S Dixie Hwy
    West Palm Beach, FL 33405
    (561) 547-9799

Juana La Cubana
    2850 SW 54th St
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
    (954) 985-8899

Good Eats 33
    6882 NW 20th Ave
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
    (954) 956-4480

Los Bobos Cafeteria
    5600 NW 79th Ave
    Doral, FL 33166
    (305) 592-8774

Pepitolandia
    5900 NW 102nd Ave
    Doral, FL 33178
    (786) 431-5399

Finka Table & Tap
    14690 SW 26th St
    Miami, FL 33175
    (305) 227-8818

Hullabaloo
    517 N Clematis St
    West Palm Beach, FL 33401
    (561) 833-1033

Mai-Kai
    3599 N Federal Hwy
    (954) 563-3272

Fish Shack
    2862 NE 17th Ave
    Pompano Beach, FL 33064
    (954) 586-4105

Tark's of Dania Beach
    1317 N Federal Hwy
    Dania Beach, FL 33004
    (954) 925-8275

Captain Charlie's Reef Grill
    12846 US-1
    Juno Beach, FL 33408
    (561) 624-9924

Key Largo Fisheries Backyard Grill
    1313 Ocean Bay Dr
    Key Largo, FL 33037
    Phone:(800) 432-4358
  • Post #21 - December 7th, 2015, 1:07 pm
    Post #21 - December 7th, 2015, 1:07 pm Post #21 - December 7th, 2015, 1:07 pm
    Awesome stuff as always Da Beef. I love a blackened grouper sandwich and that one looks great. Have you ever been to DiNic's in Philly? The roast pork & broccoli rabe sandwich you show looks quite different, but wondering how it compares.
  • Post #22 - December 7th, 2015, 1:15 pm
    Post #22 - December 7th, 2015, 1:15 pm Post #22 - December 7th, 2015, 1:15 pm
    Brilliant Beef!!! Love me some hogfish--found a place that serves it in Cortez if you're ever out that way. Great stuff (hogfish AND your report :) )
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #23 - December 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm
    Post #23 - December 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm Post #23 - December 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm
    I really love Tarks. Yeah, maybe not the greatest quality, but it's so time warpy, Travis McGee Lauderdale, that I relish so much goin there.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #24 - December 7th, 2015, 3:50 pm
    Post #24 - December 7th, 2015, 3:50 pm Post #24 - December 7th, 2015, 3:50 pm
    Another stellar post, Beef. It almost makes me want to go back to southeast Florida again. It's been several years since I've been in that part of the state.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #25 - December 8th, 2015, 8:24 am
    Post #25 - December 8th, 2015, 8:24 am Post #25 - December 8th, 2015, 8:24 am
    BR wrote:Awesome stuff as always Da Beef. I love a blackened grouper sandwich and that one looks great. Have you ever been to DiNic's in Philly? The roast pork & broccoli rabe sandwich you show looks quite different, but wondering how it compares.

The Roast Pork sandwich at DiNic's is one of the all time greats. If it's Michael Jordan, the one I ate in West Palm Beach is Jimmy Butler. Different styles but one is a legend while the other is very good. This version served at Hullabaloo came on a bakery style bun and not a roll, but the addition of pickled red onions pretty much works on anything. Not sure if it was supposed to but it didn't bring back memories of DiNic's or John's but it did hit the spot. I'm guessing there's some sort of connection to Philly with either the owners or the chef as there's tons of ex-East Coasters down in these parts.

Vital Information wrote:I really love Tarks. Yeah, maybe not the greatest quality, but it's so time warpy, Travis McGee Lauderdale, that I relish so much goin there.

Tarks was cool, the vibes were definitely different than most spots, kind of like Mai Kai in that old school way. The food wasn't bad I just thought some of the other seafood focused spots like Fish Shack and Whales Rib were better quality.
  • Post #26 - April 2nd, 2017, 10:09 am
    Post #26 - April 2nd, 2017, 10:09 am Post #26 - April 2nd, 2017, 10:09 am
    I learned to love Jai Alai back when my father was working out of Tampa, the stadium was always packed. Jai Alai seems to have lost the crowds and IIRC it isn't even played anymore in Tampa. But the game is still alive in the Miami area, we usually go to Dania Jai Alai at the Dania Casino (301 E Dania Beach Blvd, Dania Beach). So were were looking for a place nearby and stumbled upon Tark's.
    Da Beef wrote:Tark's of Dania Beach

Dania Beach, FL

Another popular small Florida style seafood shack. I didnt like this place as much as the one up above. The Conch salad was listed as a specialty and it was good when the pieces were tender but when they were chewy not so much.

Wings and Clams are the other often ordered menu items with the flouring station right there in the open. We watched as the guy breaded each belly up and then fried them to a light golden hue. They were tasty but not on the level of the ones we had in Maine and Massachusetts this past summer.

Tark's of Dania Beach
    1317 N Federal Hwy
    Dania Beach, FL 33004
    (954) 925-8275

We so wanted to like Tark's.

They were out of clam bellies so they had strips, should have know better but ordered anyways, horrible, nothing but breading and tiny tiny strips of clam (couldn't even tell if it was that).

Fresh fish grilled nicely but is drowned in butter/oil garlic.

Raw oysters are a get lucky mix, the dozen we had were tiny to huge 2 bite slabs, lots of shell bits.

Just not good overall.
  • Post #27 - January 7th, 2023, 5:00 pm
    Post #27 - January 7th, 2023, 5:00 pm Post #27 - January 7th, 2023, 5:00 pm
    Da Beef wrote:
    Mai-Kai

Fort Lauderdale

Had to stop in to the world famous Mai Kai which was named the best tiki bar in the world by members of Critiki.
    [snip]

Mai-Kai
    3599 N Federal Hwy
    (954) 563-3272

Last year we had driven past Mai Kai and it was shuttered (hard, desolate).

Good news on their website, they are reopening at some point.

from Nov 22, 2022 announcements
    We are working very hard behind the scenes to bring the Mai-Kai back and better than ever. As we continue our updates which include interior décor renovations and repairs as well as new construction in heavily damaged areas, we are running into expected and some unexpected delays.
    So unfortunately we won't be able to visit next week while in the area but good news for future visits.
  • Post #28 - February 21st, 2023, 9:14 am
    Post #28 - February 21st, 2023, 9:14 am Post #28 - February 21st, 2023, 9:14 am
    Fwiw, the owner of Reef Grill is named Ross Matheson- a consummate restauranteur and a mentor of mine going back 30 yrs.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more