LTH Home

Peoria, IL

Peoria, IL
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - January 6th, 2020, 8:37 am
    Post #91 - January 6th, 2020, 8:37 am Post #91 - January 6th, 2020, 8:37 am
    yeah I loved that article. I lived in Peoria from birth to 23, but I've never been to Larry's Driftwood or the Red Barn. Davis Bros is good though I don't think it was mentioned. My go to's:

Agatucci's
    Tyroni's in Bartonville
    Monical's
    Butch's frozen pizza (namely the white sausage/garlic)
    Pizza Works

When we are in town visiting family, I almost always pick up about 8-10 Butch's pizzas to take back home for the freezer. I was sad when Aggie's stopped making the frozen pizzas.
  • Post #92 - January 6th, 2020, 8:46 am
    Post #92 - January 6th, 2020, 8:46 am Post #92 - January 6th, 2020, 8:46 am
    jimswside wrote:One new spot this past Sat. and a couple must visits for me when I am in Peoria.

New spot - Raber Packing

Kind of similar to Peoria Meatpacking in Chicago. Pretty much any part of the pig you want. Plenty of beef, etc. I went with some beef snack sticks - I try to get them at every butcher I go to - as well as some of their housemade bologna - I am on a fried bologna sandwich kick since getting back from Nashville. - Snack sticks passed the test, bologna might be better than my favorite Daisy Brand -

Raber Packing
    1413 N. Raber Rd.
    West Peoria, IL.

http://www.raberpacking.com/

Reason I went so light on purchases at Raber Packing is I was heading next to Pottstown Meats - One of my favorite meat spots - specifically because they have beautiful Kilgus Farms pork and beef for a fair price(the anti-hipster butcher if you will). Went with my favorite steak around - the aged bone in sirloin -

brilliant that:

also some beautiful Kilgus bb ribs -

la bomba:

In case people weren't aware, Raber burned down in Nov 2018. They are going to rebuild though.

"Raber is currently closed due to the fire, but we can still cater your event
    Raber’s Catering is here to help you create the perfect menu for your party, event or wedding.

Exciting things are happening at Raber!
    Raber returns in Fall of 2020 to a new location, 2920 W. Farmington Road in West Peoria..."
  • Post #93 - October 11th, 2021, 6:41 am
    Post #93 - October 11th, 2021, 6:41 am Post #93 - October 11th, 2021, 6:41 am
    Made a quick jaunt to Peoria over the weekend. Learned the hard way that many, if not most, businesses are closed Sundays making for slim pickins on the second day of our trip. Also many of the dairy stands that were on our target list were closed for the season. A return trip is in order, but still some highlights to share.

50s Diner - Great diner all around with many items made from scratch in house. The "I Love Loosey" sandwich is a nice take on the loose meat sandwich from the maid-rite franchise that used to own the building.

Larry's Driftwood Pizza - A classic tavern style pizza joint that serves nothing but pitchers of beer and cracker crust pizzas. The pizza is a unique take with sausage, green peppers and onions minced fine (I remarked almost like a lahmacun) with cheese melted in streaks on top. The balance of the pizza, much less cheese than is typical, worked for us. Also loved that sriracha seemed to be the hot sauce of choice at this old school spot.

Castle's Patio Inn - Didn't end up doing a meal there since the tavern wasn't well suited for children, but we did pick up a 2 pound tub of their cheese spread. Great stuff. 120 day aged cheddar with lots of garlic and spices. Grown up cheez whiz.
  • Post #94 - May 8th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Post #94 - May 8th, 2022, 12:56 pm Post #94 - May 8th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Lou's is open. Next time we are in town I'll probably try to go there with my family.
  • Post #95 - May 9th, 2022, 8:00 pm
    Post #95 - May 9th, 2022, 8:00 pm Post #95 - May 9th, 2022, 8:00 pm
    Now I know what you are talking about!
    jimswside wrote:Made the easy 1 hour and 15 minute shot down to Peoria on Saturday. Wanted to get the new vehicle out to stretch its legs. ).

1)Allwan Bros has probably one of the best lunchtime grill setups I have had. $2 brats, dogs, or their brilliant hot polish. One of each and a bottle of water makes for a good lunch. Their polish and brats are special, their hot dog while good needs some more flavor pop imo. Grabbed some chops, brats, polish, bacon & brakfast sausage for a fair price as well.

2)Hit Lous Drive-in for some sofsserve icecream and a milkshake, was tempted by a pork tenderloin or a coney dog. next time. Place has been around for 50 years.

3)Captain Rons, love this place. Tought to find, but worth it. The deck overlooking the river is a great place to spend a few hours. Enjoyed some Jim Beam, High Life, and grouper fingers $20, cash only:

gotta stay for dinner one of these nights:

Allwan Meats & Captain Rons address and web info upthread.

Lou's Drive-In
    4229 N. Knoxville
    Peoria, IL.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more