LTH Home

In 'N Out Burger is a Good Thing

In 'N Out Burger is a Good Thing
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:45 am
    Post #31 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:45 am Post #31 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:45 am
    Are you up for a challenge?

The In-N-Out 75x75.

E.M.
  • Post #32 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:50 am
    Post #32 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:50 am Post #32 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:50 am
    I see your 75x75 and raise you the In-n-Out 100x100.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #33 - January 23rd, 2006, 10:03 am
    Post #33 - January 23rd, 2006, 10:03 am Post #33 - January 23rd, 2006, 10:03 am
    gleam wrote:I see your 75x75 and raise you the In-n-Out 100x100.

Oh, now that is just obscene. ;)

E.M.
  • Post #34 - January 23rd, 2006, 11:00 am
    Post #34 - January 23rd, 2006, 11:00 am Post #34 - January 23rd, 2006, 11:00 am
    Double double, EXTRA spread (basically mayo+ketchup+relish, I believe, plus some other seasonings... it's not THAT secret :-).

I don't understand this anti-mayo thing. Mayo is clearly god's gift to the condiment pantheon.

But hey, to each his own :-)
  • Post #35 - January 23rd, 2006, 1:17 pm
    Post #35 - January 23rd, 2006, 1:17 pm Post #35 - January 23rd, 2006, 1:17 pm
    I have to admit that I don't get the appeal of mayo. For some reason I've just never really liked it especially not on a burger. My mother and her side of the family are from the south and it's practically a given that anything you can put mayo on they just might try it. My mom used to make home made mayo when I was a kid and allegedly I used to eat that.

My mom even puts mayo on hot dogs. :(
  • Post #36 - January 23rd, 2006, 1:21 pm
    Post #36 - January 23rd, 2006, 1:21 pm Post #36 - January 23rd, 2006, 1:21 pm
    Erzsi wrote:I have to admit that I don't get the appeal of mayo.

I have to admit, mayo may not look that appealing, but I think it serves a key function, to wit: battling dryness, the great enemy of food in general and sandwiches specifically.

My preference is for homemade mayo, but I lack the patience to drizzle in the oil, so I have to wait for The Wife to make it, which is rarely. When you make your own mayo with good olive oil, etc., it makes a difference, and elevates this simple lubricant to the level of good tasting food.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #37 - January 23rd, 2006, 6:52 pm
    Post #37 - January 23rd, 2006, 6:52 pm Post #37 - January 23rd, 2006, 6:52 pm
    Erzsi: "My mom even puts mayo on hot dogs. :( "

Now WAIT a minnit Erzsi! No UnHappy Face allowed on *this* issue! There are times (admittedly rare) when one absolutely craves an Oscar Meyer wiener with ketchup and mayo. At least *this* One does...

Once I travelled to Belgium and experienced the glory of replacing ketchup with mayo on my frites, I got loosened up to the possibilities of ketchup + mayo intereactions.

Trust me on this....

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #38 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:26 pm
    Post #38 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:26 pm Post #38 - January 23rd, 2006, 9:26 pm
    an ex used to insist spreading mayo on her hotdogs. shoulda broke up with her the first time i saw that.

(and i'm a big mayo fan, hence i'm not an in-n-out fan, much like how i'm not a gene & jude's fan)
  • Post #39 - October 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm
    Post #39 - October 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm Post #39 - October 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm
    OK here's my view. Two weeks ago in Sacramento (for my high school reunion), I had my first visit to In 'n Out. Today, in Long Island, I made my first visit to Five Guys. Here's my appraisal:

Meat: Five Guys Definitely Better; nice, juicy, beefy, not compacted (hand-formed).

Trimmings: In 'n Out Definitely Better; fresher, crisper (lettuce & pickle esp.), tomato much riper,

Bun: In 'n Out by a whisker;

Fries: Not even close: Five Guys makes a *fine* fry.

Both stores are a mile beyond the rest of the pack--Mickey D's, BK, etc. all pale in comparison.

No question where I'll go in future.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #40 - October 3rd, 2011, 10:27 am
    Post #40 - October 3rd, 2011, 10:27 am Post #40 - October 3rd, 2011, 10:27 am
    Five Guys must have seen me coming, for my first visit to one of their locations was a home run - burger was perfect, fries were crispy (and an enormous amount) and I was very happy. Since then, I've been skimped on the fries numerous times, and the burger just isn't that good. I've never had a bad meal at In N Out, and I think their burger is better, the fries are tastier, they have a great yet simple shake, and their prices are much better. It's usually my first stop after I get off the plane when I'm out west.
  • Post #41 - April 24th, 2013, 2:37 pm
    Post #41 - April 24th, 2013, 2:37 pm Post #41 - April 24th, 2013, 2:37 pm
    Original 1948 In-N-Out Burger Reconstructed In Baldwin Park
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #42 - April 24th, 2013, 2:56 pm
    Post #42 - April 24th, 2013, 2:56 pm Post #42 - April 24th, 2013, 2:56 pm
    In 'n 'out was always one of my reasons for traveling for my past jobs.
    Always for lunch, saving my per diem money for dinner.

As in a post above, 5 guys with their prices does not thrill me. Very different quality where you go. They do not vet franchisees like a good chain like Culver's does. Culvers after you make an application vets and chooses you after you spend time working at one of their places. Five guys just requires cash.
    Locally, I can get a 3 lamb chop lunch with fries and salad for the same cost of a five guys burger and fries. I would love a in 'n 'out to be here.
  • Post #43 - April 24th, 2013, 7:05 pm
    Post #43 - April 24th, 2013, 7:05 pm Post #43 - April 24th, 2013, 7:05 pm
    When I visit my parents in the Palm Springs area, In-N-Out is always one of my first stops. I'm not sure if it's their food or the weather (probably some of both), but I always have a smile on my face.
  • Post #44 - April 24th, 2013, 9:11 pm
    Post #44 - April 24th, 2013, 9:11 pm Post #44 - April 24th, 2013, 9:11 pm
    Basically, there's not a decent burger in Montréal. It seems to me that they mince the meat too small. Even the very pricey 'gourmet' burger joints have lousy burgers. (Although my KC roomie claims that Burger Bar is better than decent.) But Five Guys just opened on St-Catherine, the main drag near the campus. I warn people away, which maybe I shouldn't do, but sheesh, their product absolutely can't be trusted to be reliable.

Geo
  • Post #45 - April 26th, 2013, 12:13 pm
    Post #45 - April 26th, 2013, 12:13 pm Post #45 - April 26th, 2013, 12:13 pm
    Never had In-'N-Out until a couple years ago when I was taking frequent business trips to CA. Driving from San Jose to the Monterey Peninsula, I'd stop along 101 in Morgan Hill at a VERY busy In-'N-Out for two singles, ketchup & onion only, fries & a chocolate shake. Absolute heaven for the rest of my drive. And of course, I'd routinely stop on the way back as well, once nearly missing my flight back to Chicago because of it.

I haven't tried Edzo's, but that's what I imagine Eddie's burger to be--thin, griddled, nice amount of char, toasted bun, raw onion rings that mix with the burger juice, a damn good crunch. And the nearly-matchstick fries that are crispy outside, soft inside. Finally the chocolate-y shake that tastes like it was made with an old Hamilton-Beach mixer with the beaters.

Don't miss In-'N-Out if you get a chance.
  • Post #46 - April 29th, 2013, 1:58 pm
    Post #46 - April 29th, 2013, 1:58 pm Post #46 - April 29th, 2013, 1:58 pm
    jnm123 wrote:Never had In-'N-Out until a couple years ago when I was taking frequent business trips to CA. Driving from San Jose to the Monterey Peninsula, I'd stop along 101 in Morgan Hill at a VERY busy In-'N-Out for two singles, ketchup & onion only, fries & a chocolate shake. Absolute heaven for the rest of my drive. And of course, I'd routinely stop on the way back as well, once nearly missing my flight back to Chicago because of it.

I haven't tried Edzo's, but that's what I imagine Eddie's burger to be--thin, griddled, nice amount of char, toasted bun, raw onion rings that mix with the burger juice, a damn good crunch. And the nearly-matchstick fries that are crispy outside, soft inside. Finally the chocolate-y shake that tastes like it was made with an old Hamilton-Beach mixer with the beaters.

Don't miss In-'N-Out if you get a chance.
    I was in Vegas last week and had In-N-Out twice. It's not the greatest by any means, but I like it. Not only for the food, but I know I'm out West on vacation when I have it. It's somewhat salty, but that's what you'd expect.

Edzo's is not like In-N-Out. The griddled patty is bigger (1/4 pound) and is cooked somewhat similar to Steak N Shake or Culvers. And Edzo's fries blow In-N-Out's away. They are a more standard fresh cut size, that are double fried (In-N-Out is a single fry) and Edzo uses Russet Burbank potatoes, In-N-Out uses the somewhat bland Kennebec potato for some reason. Edzo's uses larger brioche buns that are not toasted that much, In-N-Out uses small fast food type buns that are toasted and a little crunchy.
  • Post #47 - January 13th, 2023, 5:51 pm
    Post #47 - January 13th, 2023, 5:51 pm Post #47 - January 13th, 2023, 5:51 pm
    Next stop Chicago? In-N-Out burger expanding east of Texas for first time.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/1/12/ ... first-time
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #48 - January 20th, 2023, 10:45 pm
    Post #48 - January 20th, 2023, 10:45 pm Post #48 - January 20th, 2023, 10:45 pm
    I have an In-N-Out five minutes walk from my AirBnb in Westwood Village, Los Angeles. I've already had it a couple of times since I've been here. There's also a Fatburger nearby that was great - I forgot how good they can be too.
  • Post #49 - January 21st, 2023, 12:53 pm
    Post #49 - January 21st, 2023, 12:53 pm Post #49 - January 21st, 2023, 12:53 pm
    My recollection of In 'N Out is the rather dry bland fries. Maybe that's what the old-stereotypical-healthy-Californians liked when the restaurant designed its menu. My kid said they were like the non-fried fries served at his elementary school cafeteria. The burgers were ok for cheap roadside stand food but nowhere near as good as, say, Fuddruckers or any number of taverns. We wondered what the enthusiasm was all about.
  • Post #50 - January 21st, 2023, 11:49 pm
    Post #50 - January 21st, 2023, 11:49 pm Post #50 - January 21st, 2023, 11:49 pm
    tjr wrote:My recollection of In 'N Out is the rather dry bland fries.

The fries are absolutely terrible, IMHO. One trick I was told was to order them well done. Still terrible. More like those snack-food convenience store French fry snack like Andy Capp's. Not quite that dry, but reminiscent. You can also get them "animal style" doused with cheese, special sauce, and fried onions.

As for the burger, I love it. Part of it is the price point (though in Phoenix, at least, they went up over $5 for the double-double, at $5.05. Inflation and food costs!) The only thing I'd improve about it is to get a bit of crispness on the edges and a bit more browning. Animal style is great, but I also love the straight-up double-double off the regular menu (which is what I had this time around in Phoenix.) It's a ritual for me to stop by one on the way back from the airport when we make our yearly (or twice a year) trip to visit the in-laws.

Plus their service is A+, their staff is friendly and actually looks like they want to work there, and they treat their employees well (which helps with the first two points.) If I had to choose one burger to eat for the rest of my life, it would be an In-and-Out. It may not be the absolute best burger, but it's the burger I could see myself eating daily, were calories not an issue.
  • Post #51 - January 22nd, 2023, 12:15 am
    Post #51 - January 22nd, 2023, 12:15 am Post #51 - January 22nd, 2023, 12:15 am
    I've found that getting the onions grilled, makes the burger better. I don't even notice the lack of mayo when I do this. I just don't order fries anymore. I can't figure out how they make them so bad.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #52 - January 22nd, 2023, 9:15 am
    Post #52 - January 22nd, 2023, 9:15 am Post #52 - January 22nd, 2023, 9:15 am
    Xexo wrote:I've found that getting the onions grilled, makes the burger better. I don't even notice the lack of mayo when I do this. I just don't order fries anymore. I can't figure out how they make them so bad.

This is my move now too. A 2nd double double instead of fries.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more