LTH Home

Lake Michigan Circle Tour (Pic's)

Lake Michigan Circle Tour (Pic's)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Lake Michigan Circle Tour (Pic's)

Post #1 - April 7th, 2008, 11:31 am
    Post #1 - April 7th, 2008, 11:31 am Post #1 - April 7th, 2008, 11:31 am
    I am finally doing it. I have wanted to do the lake Michigan circle tour since the day I got my license at 16 and come the end of July '08 its going to happen. Im posting the topic early because the more information I can gather, the better. Anyone here ever taken the trip? whats a good amount of time to set aside to do the whole thing and be able to stop at some beach's/sites and of course food spots?

What I do know is that I have the trip ready to leave around July 22nd and the plan is to start going north on 94 with a stop in Milwaukee for lunch...most likely Zaffiro's and Kopp's. After that, its up in the air...what you got for me?
    Last edited by da beef on August 3rd, 2008, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - April 7th, 2008, 11:55 am
    Post #2 - April 7th, 2008, 11:55 am Post #2 - April 7th, 2008, 11:55 am
    It might shorten your trip a bit, but a truly fascinating, anachronistic experience is to take the Lake Michigan Ferry from Manitowoc to Luddington, MI. Luddington has a surprisingly good brewpub for such a small town.

Also, it might be a bit close to Milwaukee, depending on whether or not you take a leisurely drive, but there's a classic seafood restaurant right near the harbor in Port Washington.

Jamesport Brewing Company
    Overall Rating: Awesome! Score: 80.7 / 100
    410 South James Street
    Ludington, MI 49431

Smith Brothers Seafood Rstrnt
    100 N Franklin St
    Port Washington, WI
  • Post #3 - April 7th, 2008, 2:18 pm
    Post #3 - April 7th, 2008, 2:18 pm Post #3 - April 7th, 2008, 2:18 pm
    Smith Bros is closed down. I like New Port Shores in Port Washington, it is the locals favorite.

I am in Racine, the thing here are the Kringles. People seem to like O&H or Bendtsens, I am a Bendtsen person myself.

There is some pizza place in Sheboygan that people seem to love that I have not been to as of yet, search the board if you are interested.

I am originally from the other side of the lake in Michigan. If you are a homemade onion ring person, check out Clementines in South Haven or St. Joseph.

How much time are you taking and where are your stops??
  • Post #4 - April 7th, 2008, 2:29 pm
    Post #4 - April 7th, 2008, 2:29 pm Post #4 - April 7th, 2008, 2:29 pm
    I would check out the winerieson the Leelanau Peninsula. I can recommend, without a tinge of tongue-in-cheekness, the sparkling wine produced by L.Mawby up there. Ciccone Vineyards is owned by Madonna's father. (You may or may not find that interesting. :) )
  • Post #5 - April 8th, 2008, 12:01 am
    Post #5 - April 8th, 2008, 12:01 am Post #5 - April 8th, 2008, 12:01 am
    I would second aschie's recommendation for the Leelanau Peninsula and for Lawrence Mawby's sparkling wines (I have a bottle of the Conservancy chilling in my fridge at this very moment). My fiance has spent a lot of time in the last 3 summers in the Interlochen/Traverse City region and we love it there. Sleeping Bear Dunes is a great National Park to visit up in the area as well. The popular place to eat up there for breakfast is the Omelette Shoppe. We also like to catch a minor league baseball game--the Traverse City Beach Bums have a beautiful stadium. Also, there is the Cherry Hut in nearby Beulah, MI. The food is not so great, but the pie is pretty damn good. One more thing is the Cherry Bowl Drive-In Theatre in Honor, MI. They have a snack shop where they pop popcorn out of an old-fashioned popper from the '50s. We always have a blast there. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Sleeping Bear Dunes
    http://www.nps.gov/slbe/

Omelette Shoppe & Bakery
    1209 E Front St
    Traverse City, MI 49686
    (231) 941-5052

Traverse City Beach Bums
    http://www.traversecitybeachbums.com/

Cherry Hut
    216 N Michigan Ave
    Beulah, MI 49617
    (231) 882-4431
    http://www.cherryhutproducts.com/index.html

Cherry Bowl Drive-In
    9812 Honor Highway
    Honor, MI 49640
    http://www.cherrybowldrivein.com
  • Post #6 - April 8th, 2008, 6:48 pm
    Post #6 - April 8th, 2008, 6:48 pm Post #6 - April 8th, 2008, 6:48 pm
    I'm only really familiar with the Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes area of your trip. I second Sharona's recommendations, and also have a few more.

Here is a good website with restaurants, farm stands, etc. Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes-centric.
    http://localdifference.org/

Some favorite places in Glen Arbor/Sleeping Bear Dune area:

Art's Tavern ~ (231) 334-3754 -
    6487 Western Avenue; Glen Arbor, MI 49636
    www.artsglenarbor.com
    A Glen Arbor institution. Good food and drink in a genuine up north atmosphere. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Gets very crowded, esp on weekends.

Good Harbor Grill
    http://www.glenarborwest.com/grill1/grill-home.htm
    Great salads, eclectic menu. Casual atmosphere.
    Ice cream next door at the Pine Cone.

Sutton's Bay is really cute. They have an excellent grocery store just out of town if you need to load up.

samuel’s ~ (213) 271-6222
    111 St. Joseph; Suttons Bay, MI 49682
    www.samuelssuttonsbay.com
    Excellent food with a Southern influence. Great service. Good for lunch, too.

Hansen Foods
    http://www.known.com/hansenfoods.lasso

This one is on the "tunnel of trees" part of the tour, south of Mackinac Island in Cross Village. I have not been to this restaurant in about 20 years so take this for what it's worth....either way you'll want to go on the tunnel of trees though.
    http://www.legsinn.com/

A couple of places I have not tried but want to:

Trattoria Stella ~ (231) 929-8989
    1200 W. 11th Street (Old State Hospital Grounds) ~ Traverse City, MI 49684
    (231) 929-8989
    www.StellaTC.com
    This is in one of the buildings in the old mental hospital area. They are lovely old buildings on nice grounds that have been redeveloped instead of torn down. A nice stop on your tour. I have been inside this restaurant but was not able to go back. I really liked the atmosphere. There are also bakeries and coffeeshops in the old hospital grounds.

Black Star Farms
    http://www.blackstarfarms.com/

Also, make sure to go to Mackinac Island for at least a day. You will have to leave the car and take a ferry over. TripAdvisor should have good info on Mackinac Island--if not let us know.

One tip: As you know, July is high season in Michigan so it might be worth getting a book or doing some quick research--enough to get the "spine" of the trip in place and book places to stay. Even though it's only April I'd be pretty quick about booking places to stay, especially if you want to be on the water. Also, sunsets on the Lake Michigan side of the circle are great as long as you have clear view to the west and aren't in a bay, so if you want to splurge on a waterfront place you'll get a good return on your money there. Also good for dinner picnics or grilling out.
  • Post #7 - April 8th, 2008, 8:59 pm
    Post #7 - April 8th, 2008, 8:59 pm Post #7 - April 8th, 2008, 8:59 pm
    Once you get around to Southwest Michigan, this thread will be helpful, particularly if you like old-fashioned burgers:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9947

I always like to put in a positive word for the Tabor Hill dining room. An aesthetically beautiful vineyard (though I find their vintages wildly incosistent), and a nice touch at the table. Kona kampachi, elk, other game flown in fresh, and much local Michigan produce as the mainstay. Squash blossom and heirloom tomato app is usually fantastic in the summer.

http://www.taborhill.com/restaurant.html
  • Post #8 - April 8th, 2008, 11:00 pm
    Post #8 - April 8th, 2008, 11:00 pm Post #8 - April 8th, 2008, 11:00 pm
    grits wrote:One tip: As you know, July is high season in Michigan so it might be worth getting a book or doing some quick research--enough to get the "spine" of the trip in place and book places to stay. Even though it's only April I'd be pretty quick about booking places to stay, especially if you want to be on the water. Also, sunsets on the Lake Michigan side of the circle are great as long as you have clear view to the west and aren't in a bay, so if you want to splurge on a waterfront place you'll get a good return on your money there. Also good for dinner picnics or grilling out.

Good advice. I'd also add that due to its Northern position and western placement on the "Eastern" time zone, the sun sets pretty late in July in Michigan. So plan your dinners accordingly -- I remember some guests of mine who "hung out" at the beach and bars drinking not realizing that it was 9:30 and they hadn't eaten since 12:00 noon; it's really deceptive when it's 9:45 and still light out.
  • Post #9 - April 9th, 2008, 9:47 am
    Post #9 - April 9th, 2008, 9:47 am Post #9 - April 9th, 2008, 9:47 am
    Empire, Michigan (in Sleeping Bear Dunes area) has a really nice public access beach with great views. You can eat in the Friendly Tavern if you want a burgers/fries type of meal. Tiffany's ice cream is down the street, and there is a grocery store next to the Friendly. Empire is a cute small town. Grocer's Daughter chocolates is just out of town up the hill and very much worth a visit.

http://www.empiretaverns.com/joesopen.html

http://www.grocersdaughter.com/

I think Empire or Glen Arbor is the best base of operations for the Sleeping Bear Dunes. If you stay in Empire and you are not on the water you can walk over to the public access beach.

Glen Arbor's public access to Lake Michigan is not as good as Empire's.
  • Post #10 - April 9th, 2008, 10:22 am
    Post #10 - April 9th, 2008, 10:22 am Post #10 - April 9th, 2008, 10:22 am
    We camped out equidistant from Glen Arbor and Empire two summers ago. Nice place for a base of operations, and easy to get to everything. I don't recall the name, but a google search of sleeping bear dunes camping should turn it up -- it isn't part of the park, though (just watch out -- my GPS sent us down a dirt road, rather than that 1/10 mile longer route that didn't).

Nice relaxing part of the world -- too far from everything big to ever get crowded, as compared to, say, Door County.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - April 17th, 2008, 5:45 pm
    Post #11 - April 17th, 2008, 5:45 pm Post #11 - April 17th, 2008, 5:45 pm
    grits wrote:This one is on the "tunnel of trees" part of the tour, south of Mackinac Island in Cross Village. I have not been to this restaurant in about 20 years so take this for what it's worth....either way you'll want to go on the tunnel of trees though.
    http://www.legsinn.com/

I've been to the Legs Inn within the last couple years and can attest to the fact that it's still great.

My family has a house in that neck of the woods, and I have to say that a lot of the restaurants leave a bit to be desired in part because there isn't a lot of variety between menus...planked whitefish, burgers, ribs, shrimp baskets, etc.

I would recommend Dam Site Inn (http://www.damsiteinn.com/). The dam leaves a bit to be desired. (Beavers could build a bigger one!) But the food is fun...every entree comes with:
    9-item relish tray
    cracker basket
    cold slaw or salad
    buttermilk baskets with honey
    homemade noodles
    peas in butter
    gravy
    mashed potatoes
    (It makes me laugh to just think about the side dishes. If this place were in Chicago, it would be booked solid on the day before the Chicago Marathon.)

American Spoon Gelato Cafe in Petoskey and Traverse City. American Spoon is a well-known name in the Traverse Bay area. It's a small chain of shops that sell jams, jellys, sauces, preserves, etc., made with local fruits and produce. Their cafe features dishes made with their products and some fantastic gelato. See spoon.com for more info.

Chandler's in Petoskey. This white tablecloth restaurant is related to Simon's, which is the gourmet grocery/wine shop in Petoskey. Delicious, eclectic menu. I love their upscale grilled cheese sandwich (usually a couple interesting cheeses on different homemade breads). http://www.clickcitymenus.com/menu.php?id=37

Stafford's Pier/Dick's Dock in Harbor Springs. Sit outside and watch the boats--and the people--while enjoying a bowl of chilled cherry soup. I was sitting here one day and noticed a boat that I normally saw (from my window) in Belmont Harbor. (See www.staffords.com/pier-restaurant-5/)

Water Street Cafe in Boyne City is a cute, family-run cafe. IIRC, he's the baker and she runs the front of the house. Their desserts are fantasic, and the oatmeal that they serve at breakfast is unlike anything you've had before. See http://www.mynorth.com/My-North/Food-Wi ... ls&itm=991

Mackinaw Brewing Co. in Traverse City. (see www.mackinawbrewing.com) I've only been here once, but had a decent sandwich and a tasty cold beer. I'll return to investigate more!
  • Post #12 - April 17th, 2008, 7:02 pm
    Post #12 - April 17th, 2008, 7:02 pm Post #12 - April 17th, 2008, 7:02 pm
    Did the circle tour several years ago. We took about 5 days, and enjoyed the Michigan part of the tour more than the Wisconsin shore of Lake Michigan. While in the UP, I'd recommend a detour up to the south shore of Lake Superior to see Pictured Rock National Lakeshore.

As far as food, the one place that I can recall was Pinheads bowling alley (how can you not stop at a bowling alley called Pinheads?) The pizza that they served was very good. IIRC it was wood fired pizza.

Pinhead's Gutters & Grub
    115 South Lake Street
    Whitehall, MI 49461
    231-894-4103
  • Post #13 - April 18th, 2008, 7:45 am
    Post #13 - April 18th, 2008, 7:45 am Post #13 - April 18th, 2008, 7:45 am
    I would recommend that Dog 'n Suds one block away. It is open now. It is across the bridge in Montague. It is the finest example I have seen. Pristine clean.
  • Post #14 - April 23rd, 2008, 3:09 pm
    Post #14 - April 23rd, 2008, 3:09 pm Post #14 - April 23rd, 2008, 3:09 pm
    The circle drive is awesome-
    One thing I'd really rec doing is detouring thru the UP to Taqumenon Falls-
    They are spectacular-
    Just wear your bathing suit and wading shoes!
    Pictured Rocks in Munising is also worth your while...
    Our daughter goes to school in Marquette in the UP so we do about half that drive quite frequently,
    The places we love to stop are:
    (pardon me while I paste from a previous post)
    places in Marquette (if you get there) we love are
    Casa Calabria www.thecasa.us 1106 North Third Street 906-228-5012 great Italian, very friendly,good garlic bread
    Vierling Brewery www.thevierling.com No. 119 South Front 906-228-3533 awesome Cajun ribeye, great microbrews and super reasonable taster beer portions
    There is a cajun restaurant up there that's supposed to be good but for some ridiculous reason it is closed on the weekends so we've never been there.

We also went to Gwinn- to The Up North Lodge 215 S. County Rd. 557 : 906-346-9815 (great ribs) SW of the airport- 553 S to 35, 35 W to 557 557 S to restaurant
    It was really good, but was truly in the middle of nowhere- (I guess it's on a snowmobile trail)

I've heard the Brownstone Inn in AuTrain is supposed to be very good, but I haven't gone there.

In Escanaba- / Gladstone I can recommend
    Swedish Pantry- 819 Ludington St, (906) 786-9606 Has a bakery- good sandwiches, etc. www.swedishpantry.com
    Log Cabin-dinner only- great whitefish- saw bald eagles flying
    (the Log Cabin is right on the way if you do the circle drive)

In Green Bay our two favorite stops are:
    Titletown http://www.titletownbrewing.com/
    From Chicago, Milwaukee, Sheboygan, and Manitowoc
    Head North on I-43. Take Webster Avenue Exit #187. Take left onto Webster Avenue and head Southwest towards downtown. Turn Right onto Main St. Head Northwest on Main Street over Fox River. Titletown is immediately to your right located across the street from the Neville County Museum and the famous Packers Receiver statue.
    Awesome microbrewery with wonderful homebrewed Sno-Cap rootbeer

Krolls www.krollswest.com 1990 S. Ridge Rd, opens 10:30 AM 920-497-1111
    From the East: Method #1: Interstate 43 to Highway 172 West. Highway 172 to US 41 North. US 41 North to Lombardi Avenue exit. East (right) on Lombardi to Ridge Road. South (right) on Ridge Road to Kroll's West Restaurant on the Right. Method #2: Interstate 43 North to US 41 South. US 41 South to Lombardi Avenue exit. East (left) on Lombardi to Ridge Road. South (right) on Ridge Road to Kroll's West Restaurant on the Right.
    Great burgers with fun booths that have a push button waitress call- tons of packers memorabilia.

Two Rivers has a nice old-fashioned restaurant:
    Lighthouse Inn- old fashioned restaurant place with Seymour’s ice cream palace
    http://www.lhinn.com/map.html 1515 Memorial Drive 920-793-4524 / 888-228-6416 Toll Free

In Menominee there's Schloegel's Bay View Restaurant for soup and whitefish

It's also really fun to take a day to explore Makinac Island,

And another wonderful sidetrip is up from Sault Ste. Marie, the Agawa Canyon Train-absolutely spectacular ride into Canada where cars cannot go and easy way to painlessly enjoy the wilderness for a day trip...
    http://www.agawacanyontourtrain.com/

Enjoy your trip.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #15 - April 24th, 2008, 7:42 am
    Post #15 - April 24th, 2008, 7:42 am Post #15 - April 24th, 2008, 7:42 am
    St. Ignace, Mich. just east of the bridge

Manly's Smoked Fish - 810 N. State - (906) 643-8930

Bessie's Pasties - 1106 N State St, St Ignace - (906) 643-8487
  • Post #16 - August 3rd, 2008, 6:55 pm
    Post #16 - August 3rd, 2008, 6:55 pm Post #16 - August 3rd, 2008, 6:55 pm
    Day 1

We decided that we would go up into Wisconsin to start the journey around the lake. Our first scheduled stop that morning was at the Brat stop just across the IL/WI border in Kenosha, where we loaded up the cooler with New Glarus' spotted cow. One of my inpatient friends insisted we wait while he had a brat even though he knew we were just a couple hours away from the brat mecca of Wisconsin.

The brat stop's brat was the most normal tasting thing on the trip not bad just nothing like what was coming.

We took 41 up into Milwaukee and while we didn't make it to my favorite pizza place in the world, I thought it necessary to document/inform anyone taking the tour that there is a great super thin crust pie to be had at Zaffiro's, which is on the circle tour coming the other way. A simple search of the site can give you all the info you need on this place. Thanks to LTH for this find.

I had just been in Milwaukee for summerfest and so many other times that we just went thru the city. If you havent been I recommend spending a half day or day in the city, it really is a fun place to spend the weekend and its suitable for people of all ages. Oh by the way, its a great eating city.

Image Image

On we rode to Sheboygan, WI. It is in this pretty little city that sits on the lake where one of my favorite roadfood stops in the land rests.

Charcoal Inn-South: Sheboygan, WI

Charcoal Inn butterfly's there brat's and cooks them on the charcoal grill, when done they are placed on a brat roll from the local bakery down the street and loaded up with mustard, onions, pickles and a insane amount of butter.

The first time I ever went here I ordered my brat with just mustard and onions. When they brought it out I looked at the amazing sandwich and thought they put a huge glop of mayonnaise on it. After a quick lick I realized it was just about a half cup of butter...mmmmmmm. Its my belief that I dont need to try any other places brats, these things just melt in your mouth and it doesnt get any better than Charcoal inn, maybe in brat heaven but not anywhere else.

The few times I have been the place is filled with locals of all ages and usually filled with smoke. The waiter immediately knew we were out of owners when my friend stood outside to smoke his cigarette. The menu also boasts that they were named to have the best steak sandwich, a Wisconsin tavern specialty, in the state. They also serve burgers, double brats and brat-burgers (brat and burger patty on brat bun) I decided to give the steak sandwich a try this time.

Up-close view of the tavern steak sandwich ordered with pickles and onions "light" on the butter.

Yes thats light, and what you dont see is the same amount on the bottom bun below the steak burger patty. This is what I would think a steak burger should taste like although I was expecting some sort of skirt steak or something it was good but I recommend sticking with a brat or three when you order.

With our stomaches filled we rode on.

Until I spotted a cool looking drive-in in Manitowoc.

The history of this old drive-in is available on their website (link below)

Nah...too early.

On we went into Green Bay and decided to take the scenic drive into the inlet up into Sturgeon Bay while listening to some Chicago Cubs baseball.

Next stop was in Green Bay, where we quickly grabbed a burger from a place called Kroll's. Sorry no pics but it was a good burger and worth the stop if your in the area. The most interesting part was watching the yocals eye me as I purposely donned a Devin Hester jersey during my visit...DAAA BEARS!

It was about 11p when we crossed the WI/MI border and got into Menominee, MI. Before calling it a night we stopped at a place for dinner. Honestly the food was so bad I cant remember the place's name but they did boast some damn good pie. Im no pie expert but we told that they won for their lemon meringue, so we tried.

Image Image

Day 2

Upon waking up it was time to eat. I felt it necessary that my first meal in Michigan be a pastie (pronounced pass-t). Just like in every town in MI, Menominee had a local pastie joint.

Image Image
    Image Image
    Colonel K's (top L) Pastie (top R) beef & cabbage (bottom L) ham, potato and cheese (bottom R)

Im a big fan of pasties so I was ready to have my own little pastie-off. This place actually finished last but it was still good, particularly the ham and cheese. I wonder how many pastie's Joey Chestnut could down in a IFOCE sanctioned event...

After loading up on the calories in the am, it was time to drive up to the Hiawatha national forest.

Entering the forest (pic from another source)

We decided we drive from Nahma which is located on the top of Lake Michigan up to Munising, which rests at the bottom Lake Superior.

Image Image
    The drive is a very scenic one that takes you thru the forest on local highways.

Upon arriving in Munising which lays on Lake Superior we decided it was time for some food. Muldoon's pasty shop had signs directing us to the "best pasty in the U.P".

Image Image Image Image
    It was a good pasty and at the time ranked as #1 on my list.

Back on the road but this time we weren't on the Lake Michigan circle tour.

When it comes to food on the circle tour, fresh/smoked fish runs abundant. You wont make it thru a town without seeing a fishmonger or four. Usually they offer up fresh fish and smoked fish along with homemade beef jerkey.

Image Image Image

Captain Ron's smoked fish in Munising, MI sits right on the lake (top pic). There are no listings that I can find on the internet but if your up there im sure youll find it (drive towards lake) The smoked whitefish was outstanding and highly addictive, unfortunately it wasnt something you pack in the car to eat later.

After talking to some people about what to do up in the U.P, we were told that the best town for some drinking and fun was Marquette and there wasnt any other towns that would have any action close to Marquette, home of Northern Michigan U. So we headed up there to stay the night.

Day's 3+4

Marquette was my favorite stop on the trip. It was a a real scenic little city that had good eating and a fairly wild nightlife during the summer. It seemed everyone I talked to that lived in the area loved it and wasnt planning on leaving anytime soon...I could see why. We stayed at the Ramada Inn which was a few blocks from the water located on Washington St, the towns main drag.

Marquette had a really nice dining scene and the beaches were packed by day and the bars were packed into the night. I really like the ladies up there, great time in a great town. The first place we got to check out for food was one of my favorite stop's on the trip. The coney joint was within a stones throw from the Ramada entrance and they served coney dog's and sliders along with shakes and some really good thin cut fries. I ended up eating here a total of four times during our time spent...really good roadfood type place, which is what im all about.

a coney dog with a slider.
    Two Chicago Style dogs
    a coney joint slider ($1 after 7p everyday)

Me being the junkie that I am for food, I decided to take a walk around town after the Coney joint and see where we could catch dinner at and maybe find a spot that was showing the Cubs-D-Backs game later.

Image Image
    Mission accomplished: Vierling's and Lagniappe both looked great

After a rest at the hotel pool/spa we geared up for dinner at Lagniappe. When I walked by this place earlier that day I remember a post I read here on the almighty forum

irisarbor wrote:There is a cajun restaurant up there that's supposed to be good but for some ridiculous reason it is closed on the weekends so we've never been there.

When I read that they were closed weekends I knew this was that place and I was very excited to try it. I love cajun and in Chicago there really isnt anything good so I always jump on the chance when I see a spot on the road. We ate at the bar where the bartender was very friendly in giving us advice and tips on what to do around the area and where to go at night, this was my favorite restaurant of the trip. Everything was really good including the live music and atmosphere each time we were there.

The bartender who's name escapes me poured some damn good Hurricane's. Unlike the Pat O'Brians version these were a different recipe that were made by pouring dark rum into the bottom of the glass, fresh squeezed mix of juices in the middle and light rum on top. The reason I cant remember the name of the dude bartending was b/c I had three category five hurricanes before we ate. Hurricanes were served category 3, 4 or 5. Higher the number the more liquor.

The beginning of a night with my buddies, Bell's, Jameson, Patron, Jager and the toilet.

fried boudin ball's

bowl of gumbo with the basket at the bar's selection of hot sauces.

hot sauce bar for your food.

We also got introduced to the owner who was a nice super nice lady who wanted to know all about our trip and how we liked the UP and her place, turns out she has a daughter who graduated from cordon bleu in Chicago and is now working at a restaurant down in New Orleans and will one day move back home with some new recipe's and knowledge of the cuisine and take over the family spot.

Lagniappe was a very satisfying spot all the food was really good each time and at 9p upon closing our first night there, a local Cub's fan directed us to "The dog house" directly across the street where they carry the MLB season ticket and show all the Cubs games. After that we stumbled over to the up-front which was the spot on Wednesday's. Very fun although I dont remember much.

The first night was so satisfying and brain damaging that we decided to stay another night in Marquette. We got great weather the whole trip and spent the day at the local beach checking out the scene.

The beaches of Marquette on Lake Superior are beautiful as are the young females that flood it.

Now I know why they call it Lake Superior. I was really impressed with the great great lake. The water was cold and I saw lots of ships transporting whatever they do and it just seemed so much more great then lake Michigan.

Dinner that night was at Vierling's downtown about a block from the lake.

The day before at the Cajun joint my friend had said to me "goddamn you werent kidding, are you going to take a picture of every thing you eat?" "if we go somewhere and you dont take a picture im paying". Sorry folks, no pic's. As expected the super fresh whitefish was awesome. They get it fresh from Thill's daily. The local monger is located just down the block on the lake. We each had it a different way, grilled, blackened and baked, all were exceptional.

For those of you reading this post and wondering about the nightlife in Marquette, its pretty fun in the summer and there is usually a spot all the younger people go each night, just ask around.

Day 5

After spending wed. and thur. night in Marquette it was time to continue our Journey although we didnt want to leave. We drove back into Munising and decided to take the closest roads to the lake along the lakeshore to see some of the fall's and beaches along the pictured rocks national lakeshore.

as you can tell by the unpaved dirt roads, we were way up there. People must ride around on snowmobiles instead of cars in the dead of winter, the roads are bumpy and rough.

Dat Niz Piz (L) Da Beef (R) millions of bugs (not visible)

Most of the fall's are a mile or more away so you need to hike thru the forest to get to the lakeshore or to see many of the fall's. The picture above shows us crossing one of the bridges on our way to Mosquito fall's. We took the shortest safer route and it wasnt what I was expecting, it was a workout that included some jumps, both uphill and downhill paths and alot of bugs, alot of sweat and what would of been a few bottles of water, had I thought to bring any. I was really surprised to have seen a family with two younger ones arriving back from the harder 3-mile trek, I felt like a pussy, when the young boy said "boy daddy my legs are going to hurt tonight", mine were already aching and we hadnt even set foot on the trail

Mosquito Fall's...we didnt make it to the beach, it was 2 miles further the opposite way of the car.

On the road again. Now we headed towards Whitefish Point to take a look at the Great lake's shipwreck museum.

Christmas, MI. Home of the worlds largest x-mas store...and a bunch of other x-mas themed places...for the kids amusement, the kids!

Food time.

We stopped for food/gas in Grand Marais, MI.

This ended up being a blessing. One of the things I try to do on a roadtrip is not plan to eat at too many places. this way you always stumble across a gem tucked away somewhere or something unexpected...the Stern's would really love this place.

West Bay Diner- "This rare 26-seat 1949 Paramount "Road King" diner car is the former Matamoras diner from the Pocono Mountains of eastern Pennsylvania. The diner came across the Mackinac Bridge to the shore of Lake Superior in 1997"--from a postcard the waitress gave me.

This is a real small spot and if busy your order may take a while but its all worth it. On top of the diner fare they also have a ice cream station, deli, pop shop and a bunch of other things to keep you busy during your wait. Also featured on the menu is the days selection of burgers. On any day you may have a choice between beef, elk, buffalo and venison.

One of the two pop coolers where they feature a nice selection of bottled pop.

Image Image Image
    Sounds great, fish and chips, chunks of whitefish, fried whitefish sandwich.

Some pop for the cooler.

Back in the car to head to the museum.

Image Image Image
    "Whitefish Point is the home of a former Coast Guard station and Whitefish Point Lighthouse is the oldest active light on Lake Superior. Part of the lighthouse station houses the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, which includes information on the wreck of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald."--from Wikipedia

The shipwreck museum was an interesting place to learn about all the shipwrecks that have happened through the years.

Image Image Image

Time to head down to to Mackinaw City and cross the bridge.

Image Image
    Where we were greeted by our first bad weather on the trip down...

Image Image
    ...and then greeted by a double rainbow upon crossing the bridge

Our third great lake driven alongside

Image Image
    They call us "fudge" up there in Mackinaw city

Of all spots visited on the trip, here was my least favorite. Mackinaw city reminded me of Cape Cod or some east coast ocean town with all the touristy attractions, games/arcades, etc...we decided it didnt really fit the bill so after convincing my friends to stop so I could get a pastie (they had enough for the year they said) we would head down to Petoskey, MI and visit there casino's.

Pastie grande, pastie stroganhoff, pastie Italiano, pastie de jonge, fried pastie, coconut pastie, nawlins style BBQ pastie, pastie combo, pastie n' grits, lemon pastie, pastie soup, pastie sandwich, sweet & sour pastie, salt & pepper pastie, jerked pastie, pastie fajita's...

Mackinaw pastie co. won the gold medal on the trip. These were really good and the gravy only enhanced the favor, I would eat these for lunch every day in the winter.

Back onto the lake Michigan circle tour and a night cruise for some gaming at the local casinos (Odawa, Victories) in Petoskey, MI.

We got into Petoskey around 8p and immediately hit the casino floor. Mistake or not we forgot to get a room and didnt realize it until 2a, so we decided to stay at the casino and leave when the sun rose.

Day 6

We left the casino at sun up and rode into Traverse city. I thought that it was a little nicer than mackinaw but still very touristy, we had a great breakfast at Ham-Bonz, where they had a bunch of dishes with ham cut off the bone. No pics again but I would recommend this place for a good breakfast in Traverse City.

Prices were so high and room's werent available for another 5 hours since it was so early, so we left. We ended up cruising to the beach and after soaking up some sun, we decided that it was time to head to my buddy's summer home in Michigan City for some boating. Since it was the weekend it was so packed and booked everywhere we just decided that we would head down the lake and spend the next few days in Long Beach, IN.

Harbor country is a place that i will document another time but on this particular trip I stopped in Union Pier to pick up some pop/beer from two of my favorite little country stores.

Milda's corner market is a nice little grocery store/deli that has a great selection of bottled pop.

Right next door is Bud & Elsie's where they carry a great selection of micro brews.

Image Image
    View from outside the beer fridge...view from inside.

Frosty's Cajun BBQ has become one of my favorites. They smoke ribs and serve Cajun sides like succotash gumbo, red beans and rice and Cajun sausage. The star of the show are some of the best rib tip's you can consume. when this is place is on they are real on.

Rib tip's with hot BBQ sauce on the side is the way to go...Im not really big on sauce with my smoked pork but I love their hot stuff.

The best part about the Lake Michigan circle tour is it fits the description of fun for all. It doesnt matter if you go with the family, a group of friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, you can find a way to have a good time. I will update this page with others places I have found within the tours limits thru the years and I will also update with anything else I may have found recently. There are so many little towns and eateries along the tour it would take quite a few trips to try them all. Big thanks to everyone for their tips, I printed out each rec'd spot and tried to do as many as I could. More places to come as the days go by.

Brat Stop
    12304 75th St
    Kenosha, WI 53142
    (262) 857-2011
    http://www.bratstop.com/

Zaffiro's
    1724 N Farwell Ave
    Milwaukee, WI 53202
    (414) 289-8776
    http://www.zaffirospizza.com/

Charcoal Inn South
    1313 S 8th St
    Sheboygan, WI 53081
    (920) 458-6988

The historic Penguin drive-in
    http://www.thepenguindrivein.com/

Krolls- Green Bay
    http://www.krollswest.com/

Col K's
    1229 10th St
    Menominee, MI 49858
    Phone: (906) 863-5315

Muldoon's Pasties
    1246 W State Highway M28,
    Munising, MI 49862

captain ron's smoked fish
    Munising, MI

The Coney Joint
    500 W Washington St
    Marquette, MI 49855
    (906) 225-5570
    http://www.coneyjoint.com

Lagniappe
    145 Jackson Cut Alley,
    Marquette, MI 49855
    http://www.marquettecajun.com/

the dog house pub
    154 W Washington St
    Marquette, MI 49855
    (906) 226-6399

Vierling restaurant
    119 S Front St
    Marquette, MI 49855
    (906) 228-3533
    http://thevierling.com/

West Bay Diner
    P.O Box 218
    Veterans Street
    Grand Marais, MI 49839

Mackinaw Pastie Co. (two locations)
    514 S Huron
    PO Box 766
    Mackinaw City, MI 49701
    Ph 231-436-5113

ham-bonz
    1108 E 8th St
    Traverse City, MI 49686
    (231) 929-9288

Milda's
    9901 Townline Rd
    Union Pier, MI 49129
    (269) 469-9980
    http://www.milda.us

Frosty's
    Cant find it listed tbut I can assure you it has reopened and its on 12-20 in Michigan city, IN around the blue chip casino.
    Last edited by da beef on August 4th, 2008, 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • Post #17 - August 3rd, 2008, 7:28 pm
    Post #17 - August 3rd, 2008, 7:28 pm Post #17 - August 3rd, 2008, 7:28 pm
    Great post, Da Beef! Your resourcefulness comes through loud and clear.
    Loved the pics of the pasties--they really give a clear idea of the differences in fillings.

For those who are interested in Traverse City breakfasts, here are some pics of Ham Bonz from another thread. (I like the Omelette Shop, too, but not for the omelets. The caramel-pecan rolls are the big draw. N.B. Weekend waits can be long.)
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #18 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:37 pm
    Post #18 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:37 pm Post #18 - August 3rd, 2008, 8:37 pm
    Hay Da Beef,

I just got back form the Lake Michigan Tour, except that we went in the opposite direction, starting off on the Michigan Side and working our way around the lake counter clockwise. We even hit some of the same places including Charcoal Inn, which I found not very good (perhaps the worst meal of the entire trip) and Kroll's. I'll probably be posting some pics ion the near future. I've got a few from Kroll's showing their burger, which was highlighted by a well above average bun and the distinct taste of charcoal grilling.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #19 - August 3rd, 2008, 9:56 pm
    Post #19 - August 3rd, 2008, 9:56 pm Post #19 - August 3rd, 2008, 9:56 pm
    Looks like a great trip, I'm glad you experienced how wonderful Marquette is. We might have even overlapped, since Beth and I were up there from last Saturday until Thursday.

On your next trip up there: stop at the Brownstone Inn, on M-28 in Au Train, about 10 miles or so west of Munising (it's on the way from Marquette to Munising). Get the whitefish salad, or any of the other whitefish dishes, and thank me. Even better than the whitefish at the Vierling.

While in Marquette on this trip, we also made it to the Waterfront restaurant, a new upscale place at Washington and Lake Shore Drive. The elk chops? Fantastic. The duck breast? Inedible. Disgusting. Otherwise, the place is fairly charming, and I suspect the more traditional stuff on the menu (steaks, chops) are good. But it's no match for the whitefish at the Vierling, especially not at twice the price.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #20 - August 3rd, 2008, 10:00 pm
    Post #20 - August 3rd, 2008, 10:00 pm Post #20 - August 3rd, 2008, 10:00 pm
    Hi,

Thanks for a very spirited trip report. I hope your friend made good to pay your meals when you didn't photograph them. I'm glad they tolerated all your pastie tasting adventures. I never knew there were so many variants available.

Again, thank you for your time to put this armchair vacation together.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #21 - August 4th, 2008, 11:29 am
    Post #21 - August 4th, 2008, 11:29 am Post #21 - August 4th, 2008, 11:29 am
    Great Trip report !
    I especially loved your Marquette sections,
    seeing as how my daughter is one of the lovely co-eds in attendance
    (tho not over this summer)
    We will have to traack down that diner in Grand Marais,
    and check out Colonel K's pasties-
    we've always gone for Jean Kays...

And besides the whitefish, the Vierling does a mean Cajun Ribeye!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #22 - December 16th, 2008, 4:10 pm
    Post #22 - December 16th, 2008, 4:10 pm Post #22 - December 16th, 2008, 4:10 pm
    gleam wrote:
    While in Marquette on this trip, we also made it to the Waterfront restaurant, a new upscale place at Washington and Lake Shore Drive. The elk chops? Fantastic. The duck breast? Inedible. Disgusting. Otherwise, the place is fairly charming, and I suspect the more traditional stuff on the menu (steaks, chops) are good. But it's no match for the whitefish at the Vierling, especially not at twice the price.

Datapoint. The Waterfront closed December 6th.
    Owner Mark Norris blamed the current economy.

"Absolutely, the economy," he said. "After Labor Day we took a big hit. It's like you pulled a plug and people weren't going out to dine. It's not just us, it's probably nationwide."

The Italian fast food restaurant Fazoli's on US-41 and The Coney Joint on Washington Street closed in November.

Norris said the restaurant will be put up for sale. He had no plans to try to start another restaurant.

"Restaurants are risky to begin with," he said. "Plus right now the economy is just not supportive. People don't have the disposable income to go out to eat as much."

Marquette Mining Journal Another Local Eatery Closes
  • Post #23 - August 9th, 2017, 8:58 am
    Post #23 - August 9th, 2017, 8:58 am Post #23 - August 9th, 2017, 8:58 am
    Not sure if this is the best place to post as I didn't do the Lake Michigan Circle Tour. However, my family and I did just come back from a few days up in Mackinaw City. For the most part the food was average in quality and over-priced. However, we did venture over the bridge to St. Ignace where we stopped at Manly's Smoked Fish which is mentioned up-thread. The owner smokes his own fish and makes his jerky. I tried the trout and beef jerky which were delicious.

Manly's Famous Smoked Fish
    810 N State Street
    Saint Ignace, Michigan 49781
  • Post #24 - January 10th, 2018, 10:24 am
    Post #24 - January 10th, 2018, 10:24 am Post #24 - January 10th, 2018, 10:24 am
    We did the circle tour last summer for a week long vacation and there were plenty of eats to be had! Here is the list of places we visited and highly recommend...

Moomer’s Ice Cream
    o Address - 7263 N Long Lake Rd, Traverse City, MI 49685
    - Great ice cream, enjoyed right on the farm! Lines are long but move quickly. Their cherry ice cream is fantastic.
    http://moomers.com/

Georgina’s
    o Address - 236 E Front St, Traverse City, MI 49684
    - Nice place doing Asian & Latin fusion. We opted for the Latin tastes & ordered the Mini Sobreros app, Lechon con Mojo & Carne Asada con Chimichurri
    http://www.georginastaqueria.com/

Cherry Hut
    o Address - 211 N. Michigan Ave, Beulah, MI 49617
    - Loved the diner feel and all things cherry. Don't leave without a slice of cherry pie a la mode!
    https://www.cherryhut.com/

Trattoria Stella
    o Address – 1200 W 11th St, Traverse City, MI 49684
    - Unique venue as it's set in a former mental asylum. Food did not blow me away and I wonder if its what we ordered. Started with the Burrata Pugliese (which was fantastic!), Pork Rib Chop, Chef's Cut steak
    https://www.offthemaphospitality.com/trattoria-stella/

Grand Traverse Pie Company
    o Address – 525 E Front St, Traverse City, MI 49684
    - Hands down, my favorite cherry pie spot we visited and the best chicken pot pie I've ever had... so much so that we ordered some when we got home to get our fix. Thankfully, I learned our local Sunset Foods carries their standard & mini sized pies and can order pies for us as well!
    https://gtpie.com/

Private Cider Tour - We love our share of ciders and had a tour of local cider houses. Definitely a great way to spend an afternoon without having to worry about driving! Here are the stops we made:
    o Suttons Bay - https://www.suttonsbayciders.com/
    o Tandem - http://www.tandemciders.com/
    o Rare Bird - http://rarebirdbrewpub.com/rare-beers/
    o Left Foot Charley - http://www.leftfootcharley.com/
    o Tap Root - http://www.taproottc.com/
    - We ate at Tap Root Cider House after the tour and the pizzas were delicious!

Cherry Republic
    o Address - 154 E. Front St Traverse City, MI 49684
    - Don't forget to stop in here before you leave for some cherry items. They have some delicious local wines and samples of many products
    https://www.cherryrepublic.com/

American Spoon
    o Address - 230 East Front Street Traverse City, MI 49684
    - Another spot to pick up some foodstuff. They often have sample sales and clearance prices on 'imperfects' which taste just as good
    https://www.spoon.com/

Seabiscuit Cafe
    o Address - 7337 Main Street, Mackinac Island, MI
    - We slipped into this place for lunch to get out of the street chaos as it was crowded. Their House Made Chips were delicious, as was their Smoked Whitefish Dip, Lobster Roll & Triple Crown Club sandwich
    https://www.seabiscuitcafe.com/

Millie's on Main
    o Address - PO Box 1243 Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    - Dinner here was nice and we got seated quickly by eating at the bar. Truffle Blue Cheese Fries had the perfect hint of truffle, Whitefish Chowder was hearty & Millie's Homemade Meatloaf hit the spot
    http://www.milliesonmain.com/menu.htm

Mary's Bistro Draught House
    o Address - 7463 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI
    - Lunch here was relaxing as it's away from the main/central boarding dock and not as busy. Great views and it's easy to slip into a leisurely walk to an open field along the coast after lunch. We enjoyed their Deviled Eggs, Michigan Chicken Salad Sandwich and Classic Crab Salad Roll.
    http://www.marysbistromackinacisland.com/

Sadie's Ice Cream Parlor
    o Address - 1891 Cadotte Avenue, Mackinac Island
    - This is a delightful place to stop after biking. Scoops are generous and views from the Grand Hotel are strikingly beautiful, especially at sunset
    https://www.grandhotel.com/dining/sadie ... am-parlor/

Wood’s of Grand Hotel
    o Address - 8655 Cudahy Circle, Mackinac Island
    - Reachable only by carriage (or walking/biking), its in a beautiful setting. I did find the service vibe the night we went slightly off putting (great service, but eerily like a southern plantation style display)
    https://www.grandhotel.com/dining/woods/

Mackinac Island Bike Tour & Fudge Crawl
    After doing the bike tour around Mackinac Island, we had ourselves our own Fudge Crawl. Here are the stops we made with Joann's being our favorite:
    o Ryba – Ryba's Fudge Shop, 7245 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    o Murray Hotel – Murray Hotel, 7260 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    o Mays – May's Candy Shop, 7315 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    o Murdick – Murdick's Main Fudge Shop, 7363 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    o Joann – JoAnn's Fudge, 7408 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757

Falling Rock Café & Bookstore
    104 E Munising Ave, Munising, MI 49862
    * - cute cafe, lots of books & great local vibe. I picked up a great winter hat here which has already served me well for the winter lol
    https://fallingrockcafe.com/

Pictured Rocks Pizza
    106 Birch St, Munising, MI 49862
    * - we were surprised with how well the pizza was... nice offering of fresh toppings made to order and very generous
    https://www.toasttab.com/pictured-rocks ... e-order#!/

Muldoons Pasties & Gifts,
    1246 M-28, Munising, MI 49862
    * - here's where we got our pastie fix! We preferred the beef over the chicken and if available, get a dessert pastie too (cherry was delicious!)
    http://muldoonspasties.com/

Rosy's Diner
    1313 Ludington St, Escanaba, MI 49829
    * Rosy's a real doll and we loved that she was a Chicago Bears fan lol. Solid diner fare with a side of sassy service :)
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/rosys-diner-escanaba
  • Post #25 - July 19th, 2021, 1:54 pm
    Post #25 - July 19th, 2021, 1:54 pm Post #25 - July 19th, 2021, 1:54 pm
    We just finished 15 days circling Lake Michigan (with a couple days on Superior), with very little overlap with the above -- I hadn't found this thread, and the UP thread stuff was rather out of date. Some of our suggestions come from Eater, some from Google. Some of my memory may be fuzzy, it's been more than two weeks since we ate some of this. We brought food for most breakfasts, hotels filled in many of the others; lunches were often (but not always) sausages, cheeses and other things we picked up here and there.

Yes it's high season, but hotel and restaurant prices were higher than expected everywhere in Michigan (the Wisconsin side was generally cheaper but we were also staying in bigger cities), with often worse service: everyone had help wanted signs. Hey, you're already charging more, you need to pay the staff more.

Day 1: After a day on beaches, we stopped for dinner in Holland (against the pleas of my daughter-in-law #2 who hails from there). Wanting to avoid pub-grub, knowing that much of our trip would be limited to burgers and fried things, I found a Tapas place that was quite good: Poquito. Among the dishes we had was Melty, Crispy, Cheesy, Goodness -- phyllo-wrapped cheese with black pepper caramel. More of a dessert than dinner, but darn tasty. Champiñones A La Española was also a hit, roasted mushrooms and goat cheese to spread on bread. The best item of the night was the Smoked Chicken Empanada: good spice level, great crust. Their Bacon-wrapped medjool dates were good, but don't hold a candle to Avec (need more savory in there). Prices were reasonable, partly because we were too dehydrated to drink alcohol.

Poquito
    90 W 8th St, Holland, MI 49423
    +16162982881
    https://www.poquitoholland.com/

Day 2 was more beaches (Ludington State Park is gorgeous), and camping at the Lake Michigan State Recreational Area just north of there, where I made ground beef tacos for dinner -- no McCormick spice mixes here.

Day 3 lunch was at the Cherry Hut mentioned upthread. I thought their cheeseburger was very good diner-style, hit the spot. Their chef salad was very generous, lots of turkey, cheese and hard-boiled egg. Cherry Pie and a Cinnamon Roll finished things off nicely (I thought the pie crust was too far on the tender end of the tender/flaky continuum though). We did some tubing, then off to our motel in Maple City.

The hotel recommended (seconded by Google) Art's Tavern in Glen Arbor. Luckily we weren't too hungry as they had an 80-minute wait, during which we bought a few snacks at Cherry Republic. The service there was amongst the best we had, and the food was pretty good. Sue had a burger, I had the European Perch Dinner. I was a little disappointed in the perch, not as light and sweet as the yellow lake perch, but overall everything was very good.

Art's Tavern
    6487 W Western Ave, Glen Arbor, MI 49636
    +12313343754
    http://artsglenarbor.com/

Day 4 was more of the Sleeping Bear area, same motel, same town for dinner: Good Harbor Grill was at least as good with food and service. All meals served with bread and a salad with local veg (tomato, cuke, zucchini, multi-colored carrots). I had a big bowl of beef chilli, Sue had the Tuscan Pork Ribeye with local green beans.

Good Harbor Grill
    231-334-3555
    6584 Western Ave / Glen Arbor, MI 49636
    https://www.goodharborgrill.com/

(more later)
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #26 - July 19th, 2021, 3:27 pm
    Post #26 - July 19th, 2021, 3:27 pm Post #26 - July 19th, 2021, 3:27 pm
    (more as promised)
    Day 5 was a rainy day where we visited places that would have been a lot more fun if it were sunny, on the Leelenau Peninsula. In particular, Fishtown, a historic district in Leland, MI, is an attempt to preserve the look of the original fishing village. While there, I picked up a small tub of smoked fish spread (trout and whitefish) from one of the stands, Carlson's Fishery. While tasty, I think I'd prefer it with more fish, less cream cheese (closer to the stuff Costco sells).

Carlson's Fishery
    205 River St, Leland, MI 49654
    +12312569801
    http://www.carlsonsfish.com/

While Traverse City was having their Cherry Festival, the weather was much less than festive, and we decided to just get some dinner and get to the hotel. We went to Poppycock's on Google recommendations, and it was pretty good. We started with Banh Mi Dirty Fries: sweet potato fries topped with pork belly, pickled daikon and carrot, jalapeño, etc. -- this was a lot of fun, highly recommended. The fries stayed crisp while we snarfed up the pork belly. A very generous serving. Seated at the bar we were watching the pasta station working, and both of us went for noodle dishes: Sue having the Lamb Ragu and I the Brisket Stroganoff. Both were delicious and quite filling.

Poppycock's
    128 E Front St, Traverse City, MI 49684
    +12319417632
    http://www.poppycockstc.com/

Day 6 was hiking and finding Petoskey stones on the way to Mackinaw City, driving the Tunnel of Trees and of course more hiking. Timing was not right for Legs Inn, but we did make a photo-op stop. Check out the recipe.
    [edited later]
    A chance item spotted on the map: World's Largest Cherry Pie in Charlevoix.

World's Largest Cherry Pie
    6549-6717 US-31, Charlevoix, MI 49720

We spent two nights in Mackinaw City so we could spend a whole day on Mackinac and not run the risk of trying to drive the bridge in the dark or with the sunset blaring in. The hotel had a broadsheet with discounts at lots of area restaurants, none of which had good reviews online. But the BBQ place nearby did have good reviews, we went there instead: Rusted Spoke Brewing Co.. Close enough to walk, we were encouraged by the smells and sights of smokers, big offsets. We started with Tater Tot Nachos, having cheese, smoked pork and brisket and crispy onions. We then split a Mary's Michigan Salad that had cherries, goat cheese and walnuts; and a flatbread that I am sure I enjoyed, but I don't remember much about it. I'd recommend it over the more touristy places.

Rusted Spoke Brewing Co.
    810 S Huron Ave, Mackinaw City, MI 49701
    +12314365773
    https://www.rustedspoke.com/

(still more, we're not even halfway)
    Last edited by JoelF on July 22nd, 2021, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #27 - July 21st, 2021, 7:39 am
    Post #27 - July 21st, 2021, 7:39 am Post #27 - July 21st, 2021, 7:39 am
    Day 7: Mackinac Island - Decades ago, on a similar round-the-lake trip with my parents, I was told about the need to wear coat and tie to dinner at the Grand Hotel and I became a revolutionary (we didn't stay there). Now, they require a $10 fee to enter even if you're paying upwards of $60/pp for luncheon or high tea. Nope, not happening.

We mostly stuck to the natural parts of the island, although the history of the fort is pretty cool. We got to the island early, but made the mistake of going inland first: when we got back to 'downtown', it was a sea of unmasked humanity, some definitely, and proudly (declared on t-shirts) unvaccinated.

The fudge industry really rules the town: each of the major vendors (Kilwin's, Murdick's, Sanders, May's, Ryba's) has multiple outlets, most of which also serve ice cream. We read a few reviews online, and Sanders and May's came up in a lot of articles as favorites. We got some ice cream, and turtle fudge at Sanders. Their fudge is very smooth, and caramel makes it rather sticky and overloads the sweet aspect, not our favorite. We also stopped at May's and their straight chocolate fudge is very good: a little grainier, more chocolatey, good texture and flavor.

Sanders Chocolate & Ice Cream Shoppe
    7330 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757 (and a couple other addresses on the island)
    +19068470250
    http://www.sanderscandy.com/sanders-cho ... ac-island/

May's Candy Shop
    7351 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757 (and also a couple other addresses)
    +19068476486
    https://www.mayscandyshop.com/

We were beat by the hot, humid day and all the hiking, so opted for an early dinner at the Pink Pony. We had some service issues as they switch menus at 4:30 -- they didn't want to serve us the dinner menu at 4, and by the time we finished our appetizer of Honey Apple Brie Flatbread and decided to just have sandwiches, they had to get clearance to serve us lunch items. Sue had the Patty Melt which was very good, and I had the Whitefish Sandwich both served with excellent chips (not sure if housemade). While the sandwich was well-made, whitefish just doesn't have the structure to hold up to being picked up and bitten into: things slide around and fall apart too easily. Whitefish was never my favorite as a kid* (except smoked). a fried whitefish sandwich did nothing to change that opinion. Service was slow and somewhat surly. I can't recommend going back.

The Pink Pony (inside the Chippewa Hotel)
    7221 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    +19068473341
    http://www.pinkponymackinac.com/

* There was a night where, without planning, my mother made broiled whitefish, mashed potatoes, and cauliflower: the palest meal on record. There was probably a green salad, but nevertheless, all white food. We never let her live it down.

The following morning, we did a little grocery shopping in prep for camping again (I highly recommend Portage Bay State Park, the most beautiful campground I've ever been in with just 23 sites, all but a couple backing on Lake Michigan). The Family Fare Supermarket in St. Ignace had a good selection and reasonable prices considering how far it is from big city supply chains. We picked up a piece of round steak (yeah, not the best, but the only thing that came in small portions -- that's a big criticism I have of all supermarkets: it's hard to buy meat for two people who are trying to eat smaller portions), mushrooms, and surprisingly found a squeeze tube of tomato paste. With the onion, garlic, noodles and greek yogurt we had in the cooler (the sour cream had gone bad some time after the upthread tacos), we had a pretty good approximation of beef stroganoff.

Family Fare Supermarket
    699 US-2, St Ignace, MI 49781
    +19066439636
    https://www.shopfamilyfare.com/location ... gnace/1530

(Join us next episode for the Upper Peninsula!)
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #28 - July 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm
    Post #28 - July 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm Post #28 - July 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm
    JoelF wrote:The Pink Pony (inside the Chippewa Hotel)
    7221 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
    +19068473341
    http://www.pinkponymackinac.com/

So, our fam has been threatening to go to Mackinac Island for a few years now. A few weeks ago, there was an ad in some local rag for The Pink Pony, and one of my Yooper inlaws proudly stated, "That's where we should go when we do Mackinac - The Pink Pony!"

Me being me, I, of course, told everyone loudly that we shouldn't take the kids to a damn strip club.

I'm pretty sure they hate me more and more with each passing day. It all started when I told them they should try garlic in their pasties, instead of just salt and pepper, oh so many years ago. I was pretty sure I gained a little respect when we showed up with their first cousin/grandkid/nephew, but, I have a knack for making ppl dislike me. If I could only use it for good, somehow.

Case in point: my own family will tell you they like my wife FAR more than they like me. They'll tell you without blinking an eye, while I'm standing right there. :lol: :lol:

Back to JoelF's travels...(Thanks for posting all this stuff, by the way, JoelF!)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #29 - July 22nd, 2021, 7:41 am
    Post #29 - July 22nd, 2021, 7:41 am Post #29 - July 22nd, 2021, 7:41 am
    The next two nights (8 and 9) we spent in Munising, the center of the Lake Superior touristy stuff (Grand Island, which we didn't visit; Pictured Rocks, etc.). When we arrived in town, we got tickets for the sunset cruise to Pictured Rocks (if your timing permits, do the sunset cruise, the late-summer evening light is fantastic on all those north-facing cliffs). Looking at reviews and not wanting more burgers, we decided to try Pictured Rocks Pizza. It's a great spot, especially if you've got kids to entertain (picnic tables with play area, a giant Connect Four set kept several amused the whole time we were there), but the pizza didn't thrill at all. It's a wood-fired oven, but the crust was soft, doughy and flavorless like Domino's. Toppings were sparse. Cheap, filling and decent, sure; great pizza experience, no.

Pictured Rocks Pizza
    106 Birch St, Munising, MI 49862
    +19063875700
    (no website? in this day and age?)

Day 9 was spent exploring the land side of Pictured Rocks; I wish I'd remembered about Yooperlites and I'd have brought a UV flashlight. Coming back into town we ended up right next door to Pictured Rocks Pizza at Dogpatch, which has Lil' Abner kitch up the wazoo (but surprisingly no shmoo on the menu).
    One of the highlights marked in reviews is their salad bar included with every meal, but that's gone during the pandemic and post-pandemic staffing shortage (service was very slow -- tables were empty while people were standing in line because they haven't bussed them yet). Their menu is also trimmed down -- no steaks, just burgers and sandwiches. So that's what we had, I don't even remember what I ordered, might have been perch? Sue had a blue cheese burger.

(more UP Michegoss to come)
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #30 - July 23rd, 2021, 7:36 am
    Post #30 - July 23rd, 2021, 7:36 am Post #30 - July 23rd, 2021, 7:36 am
    We headed west from Munising toward Marquette the next morning, but not really feeling that we were going to do anything touristy in Marquette. Kind of a shame, there's lots up there, and Marquette is reportedly where the best eats are in the UP, and our late breakfast definitely showed that, at the Huron Mountain Bakery (funny, nowhere near Lake Huron or any mountains). This is a definite GNR if they were, say a fistful of hours closer. I'd already grabbed a bit of breakfast at the hotel (many places have replaced the continental or hot breakfast buffet with "grab-and-go" items, such as reheatable egg sandwiches. others have restored the breakfast line, yet another would serve you individually from the same bins of food), so all I had was a custard-filled eclair that had to weigh a pound that I just loved, and coffee. Sue had a bagel with cream cheese, a cheese danish (great pastry, too much gelatin in the filling), and green tea. They also had sandwiches to go, so we grabbed a couple: I had the Au Train (a nearby town) with roast beef, arugula, pepper cheese, tomato, giardiniera and lime mayo -- the best RB sandwich I've had since Al's Deli's roast beef croissant. Sue had The Locks (referring I'd guess to Sault St. Marie), with pesto, chicken breast, capicola, arugula, garlic balsamic dressing, and provolone -- also quite good, both on perfect ciabatta.
    Where we bought them:
    Where we ate them: (Boney Falls Basin, on the Escanaba River, a great place for a swim break that's the boat launch for a power-company-owned free campground)

Huron Mountain Bakery
    1301 S Front St, Marquette, MI 49855
    +19062251301
    http://huronmountainbakery.com/

Throughout the UP we'd seen "Yooper bars" -- chocolate bars shaped like the UP made by Sayklly's (pronounced sake-lee's). We were told the factory was in Escanaba and worth a visit... however the factory doesn't do tours (but they did give us a sample), and directed us to their downtown store (their bigger store on US 41 is currently closed). Lots of gifts, and candies from all over (Jelly Belly, candies that look like Lake Superior rocks, etc.), and a long candy counter with lots of house-made goodies. We bought a small box of dark chocolate awesomeness (that peanut butter cup was pretty amazing), and a couple small caramels, which lifted a crown off a molar causing way more tsuris than needs to be reported here but was ultimately low impact on our trip.

Sayklly's Confectionery
    1304 Ludington St, Escanaba, MI 49829
    +19067861524
    http://www.upcandy.com/

Literally just down the street from the candy store is the one restaurant that Sue had as must-stop from her pre-trip research: Stonehouse (as well as the Walgreens that later provided the relief to the dental issues). This would be called a Supper Club if it were in Wisconsin, but here it's just a great restaurant. Service was wonderful, ambiance old-fashioned (I would have had one were it not for said dental issues). Here's where I had the perch (I must have had a burger at Dogpatch) -- so much better than the European ones upthread, and reportedly from Lake Michigan (I have my doubts). Sue ordered lamb chops. Salads were included; we also had an appetizer of pork belly with sort of an Asian slaw served with fried flour tortillas to scoop. Great, but very filling (and a little difficult to eat with just one side of my mouth).

Stonehouse Restaurant and Lounge
    2223 Ludington St, Escanaba, MI 49829
    +19067865003
    http://www.stonehouseescanaba.com/

(next up: Wisconsin!)
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more