LTH Home

Kansas City Index

Kansas City Index
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - September 18th, 2014, 10:26 am
    Post #61 - September 18th, 2014, 10:26 am Post #61 - September 18th, 2014, 10:26 am
    ha..ha... great post, fun trip.

In-a-Tub was probably one of my favorite bites of the weekend in KC.

dont knock em' til ya try em':

If In-a-tub was local Id be a regular on Friday and Sat nights..
  • Post #62 - September 18th, 2014, 2:13 pm
    Post #62 - September 18th, 2014, 2:13 pm Post #62 - September 18th, 2014, 2:13 pm
    Just a few notes on DaBeef’s post. That covers an amazing range of places and genres; I don’t know how you did it.

There is a branch of In-a-Tub a few hundred feet from LC’s Hamburgers in the Platte Woods area. If you make burger tour of KC, you can hit both.

If you order the same meal to eat in at Stroud’s, sides are unlimited.

I had much better luck at LC’s BBQ last time I was there. The burnt ends were almost perfect. Their service is not known for its speed or even consistency.

For about six months I shared a house with the sous chef from the Farmhouse. He used to bring home the most wonderful pork Osso Buco.
  • Post #63 - September 18th, 2014, 2:14 pm
    Post #63 - September 18th, 2014, 2:14 pm Post #63 - September 18th, 2014, 2:14 pm
    jimswside wrote:ha..ha... great post, fun trip.

In-a-Tub was probably one of my favorite bites of the weekend in KC.

dont knock em' til ya try em':

If In-a-tub was local Id be a regular on Friday and Sat nights..

Boys, next time, get a tamale chaser!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #64 - September 18th, 2014, 2:41 pm
    Post #64 - September 18th, 2014, 2:41 pm Post #64 - September 18th, 2014, 2:41 pm
    Ah, a good excuse to dust off this old draft. KC is one of those places I get to about once a year, but always take for granted since I'm there so much and inevitably procrastinate posting about.

BBQ

Now, I've never been to Texas hill country and my time in the Carolinas back in the day was haunted by a vegetarian ex. So out of town, KC is the only place I've had considerable experiences eating BBQ. And like my boys' posts from earlier today, I've never been absolutely stunned by any of the que I've tried down there. Definitely some good to great morsels here and there, but the focus does seem to be on the sauce rather than woodsmoke-kissed meats. I know its part of their meatpacking heritage, but you've got to wonder if these joints can really successfully pull off the crazy range of offerings that seem to be available joint to joint: ribs, brisket, burnt ends, sliced shoulder, ham, poultry, lunch meat logs, you name it.

Its too bad Woodyard didn't pan out for you guys since I have some buddies who recreationally participate in KCBS smoke offs, who esteem Woodyard highest amongst the competition. The gods have not given me a crack at them yet for some reason or other (roadwork, irregular hours)

Da Beef wrote:I've heard nothing but praise for this place and I'll be the first to preach to someone you cant judge a BBQ spot based off one visit but what a letdown. It's not like we were taking this tour on a Tuesday afternoon, most of these spots were doing big business which I assume is the case on most Saturday's. That said LC's wasn't ready. I loved the looks of the place and the fact you could see the smoke in the air while dining inside but it was as if they'd never been busy before. Folks ahead of us were complaining about how they'd been waiting going on a half hour after making their order and we would wind up doing the same. Remembering I wasn't a fan of burnt ends when served wetter than a whales anus I promptly asked the lady taking our order to make sure the sauce was on the side. I walked back to Jim and set the odds of that happening at slim to none and sure enough I was on like Vegas. How was the meat? Chewy. I'm pretty sure they rushed it out because they had no other choice but most of it went into the garbage. Now the four or five pieces that were edible were outstanding and maybe those were a peak into what real burnt ends are all about but at this point I was done with them. All this said, I wont hesitate to go back here because I've heard enough good things.

LC's

Like Beef, I love the over-worked look of the pits in KC and love when the action is right there:

Burnt ends it was:

My experience was considerably better than Beef & Jim's. While they were definitely drowned in sauce, the meat, itself, was pretty damn good, smoky and quite tender. Unfortunately LC's sauce didn't do much for me, it tasted pretty industrial with HFCS and perhaps even some liquid sm*ke in there. Next time, I'll be firm about ordering sauce on the side.

I wish I'd ordered their thick hand-cut fries, but opted for novelty with "Spicy Fried Green Beans"

Obviously out of a frozen bag, the trashy effect had me reaching for a few more than reasonable judgement would have dictated, but again, I wished I had ordered the fries.

Arthur Bryant's

Spader's been eating here since the 80's, has to be good, right?

This place is an institution and my favorite aspect of the place is how everyone in town seems to love the place. Bryant's has a pretty overwhelming variety of meats to choose from. When you hit a line as long as we did on my last trip at about 8 pm on a Saturday, it gives you plenty of time to deliberate and covet platters emerging from behind the smoke stained glass. They even had rib tips on this particular trip and they looked pretty damned good. Fortunately they offer combo plates, so since of course I had to try to the burnt ends, I could also try another offering, which for me that night would be sliced BBQ pork, it seemed novel receiving my BBQ off a meat slicer.

Starting with the burnt ends, these had been held in sauce resulting in a mushy, crock-pot-style pulled pork effect and not desirable at all. Unfortunately the sliced pork did not hold up so well either, quite dry, with a visible smoke ring only obvious around the edges from the large hunk of shoulder it was sliced from. The fries, as common in KC BBQ houses, were quite good, at least, and gave me an opportunity to try their range of pretty good sauces. I wouldn't rule out Bryant's, though. On this trip I probably I ordered wrong. I've definitely enjoyed ribs from them in the early afternoon. Such is the timing factor with BBQ.

Oklahoma Joe's

Its too bad you guys didn't get a shot at this wildly popular spot. I was skeptical myself and did not want to like this place, the clear tourist favorite. Sure, the inside-the-gas-station thing has a quaint folksiness about it, but this is more like your interstate truck stop-brand of gas station replete with souvenir aisles. The line snaked around quite deep and the looks of the clientele skewed almost entirely of the Caucasian persuasion. We split a half-rack of ribs and a platter of burnt ends:

I liked the ribs okay. I'm not sure what kind of smoker they use, but these guys had a real even effect that, to me, lacked a little bit of soul. Don't get me wrong, they were succulent and had the perfect resistant tug off the bone. The smoke was light and the rub was pronounced, which is perhaps what I did not prefer about them. Still, quite good.
    The burnt ends, on the other hand, were by far the best I've had– notice unsauced– tender bits balanced out with charred chewy bark. Neither of the items really needed too much sauce, though Joe's has a plethora of pretty nice options. Again, great fries, probably the best, I think the KC style is to finish with a sprinkle of Lawry's.

So, yup, OK Joe's has been my favorite commercially produced Kansas City BBQ, however much I wanted to resist the hype and judge its perceived authenticity (the latter, a habit I need to cut out). Note: these three entries are just the ones I spent time documenting, paying attention to what I was shoving in my face. I've had some pretty good stuff at Gates' too, though wasn't in the frame of mind to take notes.

Tacos

I've frequented this spot mostly out of convenience, since I find myself most often on the west side of town:

Ricos Tacos "Lupe"

I love the vibe of this place, the interior just as colorful as its street presence.

Frankly, I cannot recall what we're looking at here. Definitely some lengua and tripe on the lower left. I see the telltale adobo of pastor on the upper right. These tacos are fine, not bad at all considering some can be on special at $1. I'm sure that pastor did not get carved off a trompo. Unlike…

El Camino Real

Put this on the must-try list for next time. These guys are masters of el trompo. This style is all quite similar to Los Barrilitos here in town– a big honking trompo, propane powered (you can see the yellow propane line in the bottom left of the above pic) cooked to a crisp doneness on the spit, sliced thin. Unlike Barrilitos, the tromp here is crowned with pineapple and the trompador (did I make that up?) has that skill I've seen at play in the streets of LA and el DF, where with the flick of a wrist he slivers a piece of pineapple which he then proceeds to catch with the taco.

Served commando, to be dressed at the table:

The first time I had these I was enamored, the thin, crispy style I remembered eating in the DF. The subsequent times, the pleasure was clouded in the academic haze of too much time spent thinking about what an authentic al pastor taco should look and taste like. I have a hunch many of my friends here on the board would love these, though.

Here's a plate of assorted tacos from another visit:

Al pastor to the left, lengua on top, pescado on the bottom right. Great lengua cut in thick batons. Note the interesting, and to me preferable, style of fish taco– broiled and flaked meat. Kinda plain, but I've just never been a fan of crispy batter on my taco.

Town Topic

I don't know what took me until my fourth trip down to get here. I love old school burgers!

And this is one of the best, griddled crisp in a big ol' mess o' onions!

New School

The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

Full disclosure: I've become pretty chummy with staff here. My very good friends run a micro-granting organization called Bread KC! that contributes the income from pop up meal events that they host to local artists and other small scale cultural projects. The Bread crew works frequently with the Rieger and I've been a guest chef in their kitchen, fun stuff. What I love most about the Reiger is the vibe. The folks that run this place have great attitudes and clearly love what they do. Watching the line here on a busy weekend night and you'd be amazed at the congenial, downright civil atmosphere of the kitchen presided over by the affable Chef Howard Hanna. Situate these great vibes in a wonderfully restored hotel dating back to, I believe, the teens and you've got the kind of place where you're gonna want to kick back and stay awhile. Their cocktails are great as is the food. They do fantastic things with charcuterie and creative seafood dishes. Brunch and lunch are also highly recommended, but watch yourselves with the drinks early in the day! Here's a pic of an amazing soft-shell crab sandwich special from their lunch menu a few years ago:

The Local Pig

The Local Pig is a cute as a button old butcheshop with super tidy cases teeming with old school offerings and creative concoctions alike:

They also have a sandwich trailer out back called Pigwich. We tried a couple of sandwiches there on my one trip and the results were 50/50. I loved the pork meatball banh mi which was redolent of lemograss and quite juicy. In fact, I've done my best to replicate this sandwich at home. A porchetta sandwich was unfortunately, mostly a failure on that particular outing– all unrendered fat and under washed greens.

I should also shout out to Farm to Market Bread, who my buddy works for. They do fairly large scale, artisanal production that lands in many of the finer restaurants and retail establishments. I'm amazed by the quality they retain at the volume they're working at, I'd say its leagues better than any of our much smaller operations here in Chi. In fact, when I cater I often have them ship me up their product.

Kansas City has a really cool culinary scene, its very generous and welcoming and I'm always inspired by how willing even the busiest chefs are to collaborate with DIY art events.

LC's Bar-B-Q
    5800 Blue Parkway, Kansas City, MO 64129
    (816) 923-4484

Arthur Bryant's Barbecue
    1727 Brooklyn Ave, Kansas City, MO 64127
    (816) 231-1123

Oklahoma Joe's Bar-B-Que
    3002 W 47th St, Kansas City, KS 66103
    (913) 722-3366

Ricos Tacos "Lupe"
    802 SW Blvd. Kansas City, MO 64108
    (816) 472-0738

El Camino Real
    903 N 7th Street Trafficway, Kansas City, KS 66101
    (913) 342-4333

The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange
    1924 Main St, Kansas City, MO 64108
    (816) 471-2177

The Local Pig
    2618 Guinotte Ave, Kansas City, MO 64120
    (816) 200-1639

Farm to Market Bread Company
    100 E 20th St, Kansas City, MO 64108
    (816) 363-3198
  • Post #65 - September 18th, 2014, 3:06 pm
    Post #65 - September 18th, 2014, 3:06 pm Post #65 - September 18th, 2014, 3:06 pm
    Jefe wrote:
    The Local Pig
    2618 Guinotte Ave, Kansas City, MO 64120
    (816) 200-1639

nice additions.

Had Local Pig/Pigwich on the list, ran out of time - hunger possibly.

We were however right across the street to snap a pic of this Old firehouse. Heim Brewery Firehouse # 20.

This area is where K.C's 1st Electric Park was located back in the day(late 1890's - early 1900's) - approx @ Chestnut Street and Guinotte Ave.. This is also where the Heim Brewery was - They had beer lines running from the brewery to the beer garden at Electric Park.

Heim Brewing Co. Firehouse # 20
  • Post #66 - September 22nd, 2014, 12:12 pm
    Post #66 - September 22nd, 2014, 12:12 pm Post #66 - September 22nd, 2014, 12:12 pm
    wesuilmo wrote:Just a few notes on DaBeef’s post. That covers an amazing range of places and genres; I don’t know how you did it.

There is a branch of In-a-Tub a few hundred feet from LC’s Hamburgers in the Platte Woods area. If you make burger tour of KC, you can hit both.

If you order the same meal to eat in at Stroud’s, sides are unlimited.

I had much better luck at LC’s BBQ last time I was there. The burnt ends were almost perfect. Their service is not known for its speed or even consistency.

For about six months I shared a house with the sous chef from the Farmhouse. He used to bring home the most wonderful pork Osso Buco.

Glad a local approves! Thanks for reading it, I dont think some of the people on here quite comprehend how much time goes into these long posts. It'd be easy to post a link with a sentence or two and call it a day but I'm trying to get some discussion going so its nice when someone acknowledges them. I look forward to a return dance with hamburgers.

Jefe wrote:Now, I've never been to Texas hill country and my time in the Carolinas back in the day was haunted by a vegetarian ex. So out of town, KC is the only place I've had considerable experiences eating BBQ. And like my boys' posts from earlier today, I've never been absolutely stunned by any of the que I've tried down there. Definitely some good to great morsels here and there, but the focus does seem to be on the sauce rather than woodsmoke-kissed meats. I know its part of their meatpacking heritage, but you've got to wonder if these joints can really successfully pull off the crazy range of offerings that seem to be available joint to joint: ribs, brisket, burnt ends, sliced shoulder, ham, poultry, lunch meat logs, you name it.

Its too bad Woodyard didn't pan out for you guys since I have some buddies who recreationally participate in KCBS smoke offs, who esteem Woodyard highest amongst the competition. The gods have not given me a crack at them yet for some reason or other (roadwork, irregular hours)

Woodyard was good, three out of the five stops were, hopefully I didnt come off as too hard to please. It just wasn't good enough to make me plan a detour when passing thru or anything like that. But if I lived in KC I'd of been back by now. I think part of the problem for KC BBQ is the fact some of these spots serve ten types of meats. I've seen pics of the brisket at Arthur Bryant's and it makes me wonder. I haven't been so I wont comment past that but it looks nothing like these spots. Good looks on the follow-up post, those pastor tacos look like the real deal.
  • Post #67 - September 26th, 2014, 12:27 pm
    Post #67 - September 26th, 2014, 12:27 pm Post #67 - September 26th, 2014, 12:27 pm
    Da Beef's comment about "ten types of meat" made me think of something. Arthur Bryant's used to server mutton and it was pretty darn good. I can't find anyplace in KC that still serves it.
  • Post #68 - September 26th, 2014, 5:03 pm
    Post #68 - September 26th, 2014, 5:03 pm Post #68 - September 26th, 2014, 5:03 pm
    Gates serves Mutton as an entree, but not on a sandwich. I've heard good things, but haven't yet tried it myself.

Buddy
  • Post #69 - September 29th, 2014, 10:45 am
    Post #69 - September 29th, 2014, 10:45 am Post #69 - September 29th, 2014, 10:45 am
    Thanks Buddy, I haven't eaten in at gates in years. I'll have to check the mutton out. My KC office is just down the street from a Gate's and many of our business meeting lunches are catered by them. Usually beef, ham and turkey with loaves of white bread.
  • Post #70 - September 29th, 2014, 11:38 am
    Post #70 - September 29th, 2014, 11:38 am Post #70 - September 29th, 2014, 11:38 am
    As a local KC friend likes to say, "Bread so white you can smell the bleach."

Buddy
  • Post #71 - September 29th, 2014, 12:55 pm
    Post #71 - September 29th, 2014, 12:55 pm Post #71 - September 29th, 2014, 12:55 pm
    That's weird, I used to get the mutton sand all the time. Wonderfully greasy, gamey, with excellent smoke. But I just looked at their menu and no mutton sand. Might could be that they'd make you one if you asked.

Geo
    PS. I liked Gates' mutton better than that at the Moonlight in Owensboro.
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #72 - September 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm
    Post #72 - September 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm Post #72 - September 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm
    Wow, that's saying a lot! Although I like lamb and mutton, I've always been a fan of Gates' Beef-And-A-Half Sandwich, so that's been my go to order. I'll need to make a point of trying the mutton next time we're in town.

Buddy
  • Post #73 - May 8th, 2015, 2:45 pm
    Post #73 - May 8th, 2015, 2:45 pm Post #73 - May 8th, 2015, 2:45 pm
    I just found out about Judy Jones' death. I'm so sorry, Kansas City. She was a one-of-a-kind gal, brooked no nonsense and suffered no fools, but generous beyond words once she knew you. What a terrible loss.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansas ... =174614215
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #74 - January 18th, 2016, 10:18 am
    Post #74 - January 18th, 2016, 10:18 am Post #74 - January 18th, 2016, 10:18 am
    Read this article today. Makes me want to eat here.

The North End
    910 E. 5th St.
    Kansas City, MO
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #75 - April 9th, 2016, 8:38 am
    Post #75 - April 9th, 2016, 8:38 am Post #75 - April 9th, 2016, 8:38 am
    St. Louis' FEAST magazine (a food-centric freebie) has expanded its coverage to mid-Missouri and KC. Here is a link to a search for "Kansas City." But beware as you click around the page. FEAST may be a freebie, but the linked adverts made it clear I need to clean out my cached of cookies.

http://www.feastmagazine.com/search/?l= ... a=eedition

They do some longer articles of interest, such as the recent coverage of chef Peter Wang of Iron Horse Restaurant in Olathe, who makes Xi'an style hand-pulled noodles. Silly, though, that they included a recipe, after noting that it took Wang himself 3 years to master the ancient art.

http://www.feastmagazine.com/dine/featu ... 16187.html
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #76 - November 13th, 2016, 10:01 pm
    Post #76 - November 13th, 2016, 10:01 pm Post #76 - November 13th, 2016, 10:01 pm
    Headed to KC this week for work and looking forward to making some rounds.

Anyone have any intel on excellent espresso / coffee?

Right now the only BBQ place lined up is Q39. Anyone been down lately and have any tips?
  • Post #77 - August 21st, 2017, 11:36 am
    Post #77 - August 21st, 2017, 11:36 am Post #77 - August 21st, 2017, 11:36 am
    Da Beef wrote:_____________________________

McGonigle's Market

McGonigle's has been supplying the people of KC Metro with quality butchered meats for over a half a century and on the weekends they sell BBQ to go. It's made in a smoker that sits there in the parking lot tempting you with sweet smells as you both drive by or walk inside to shop for dinner.

Inside McGonigle's

Very cool spot, as you may or may not know I'm a fan of old school butchers and they've got a world class operation they're running here. After taking a peak at their homemade Italian sausage in the case inside and then seeing the links of them sitting in the smoker outside I decided that was what I needed to try. Props to me for the order. I think this might of been my favorite bite of the trip. Their Italian sausage is fattier than most I've come across but I assume that's because they smoke it. This was done so perfectly and when paired with their spicy pepper driven bbq sauce and some sliced red onions it was a pennant winner. Throw some giardineria on there next time around and you could have a World Series champion.

Smoked Italian Sausage Sandwich

McGonigle's Market
    1307 W 79 St
    Kansas City, MO 64114
    (816) 444-4720

The smoked Italian Sausage Sandwich was indeed one of the finest bites of food I've had this year. Sausage is simply incredible, coarse grind, good spice/flavor, awesome !!!
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #78 - February 8th, 2023, 7:45 pm
    Post #78 - February 8th, 2023, 7:45 pm Post #78 - February 8th, 2023, 7:45 pm
    Anyone have Kansas City updates? I'll be there on a work trip for a couple days but hoping I can get a chance to try a couple spots.
  • Post #79 - February 8th, 2023, 9:25 pm
    Post #79 - February 8th, 2023, 9:25 pm Post #79 - February 8th, 2023, 9:25 pm
    We have been there around 8 times in the past year or so. Highlights: SLAP's BBQ (traditional KC style, great burnt ends), Stroud's Oak Ridge Manor (very traditional pan fried chicken and sides), Jerusalem Cafe (Mediterranean with a dome oven). Want to try, haven't yet: Baba's (Mediterranean). Also River Market is fun if you're there on a weekend day. Take the free streetcar for the full experience.

Some that we tried and wouldn't bother repeating: Black Hole Bakery, LaMar's Donuts, HiTides Coffee, Parlor Food Hall, Rosedale BBQ. YMMV on these.
  • Post #80 - February 8th, 2023, 9:44 pm
    Post #80 - February 8th, 2023, 9:44 pm Post #80 - February 8th, 2023, 9:44 pm
    Mrs. Roadhouse is a KC native, so we've made regular visits over the last 43 years. The list is long, so maybe if you help me focus in on what you're looking for, I can better assist you.

FWIW, I would agree with everything tjr said above, but can add to the list significantly.

Buddy
  • Post #81 - February 8th, 2023, 9:53 pm
    Post #81 - February 8th, 2023, 9:53 pm Post #81 - February 8th, 2023, 9:53 pm
    Hey Buddy, I'd love to see more ideas too. We're heading down for the President's Day weekend so could use some tips for that trip. And my son goes to college there. He could use some economical suggestions when dorm food fails. Thanks!
  • Post #82 - February 8th, 2023, 11:30 pm
    Post #82 - February 8th, 2023, 11:30 pm Post #82 - February 8th, 2023, 11:30 pm
    Awright...Colbert is a rerun tonight, so I guess I've got some time on my hands.

For the sake of expedience, I'm gonna break with LTH protocol and list the restaurant info and a one or two sentence review all together. It'll also be way more useful if you print it out.

BREAKFAST
    Happy Gillis
    549 Gillis St., KCMO
    (816) 471-3663
    https://happygillis.com/
    KC has recently become a hotbed of fun and funky breakfast places. Happy Gillis was the first one we became acquainted with. I'm a big fan of their Biscuits & Gravy and Smoked Salmon Toast, but all of it is good.

You Say Tomato
    2801 Holmes, KCMO
    (816) 756-5097
    https://www.yousaytomatokc.com/
    If you like cute eclectic diners inside cute little neighborhood markets, this is your place. One drawback: according to their latest website, they're only open Friday and Saturday for brunch.

Succotash
    2601 Holmes St., KCMO
    (816) 421-2807
    http://www.succotashkcmo.com/
    Haven't been to this one yet, but sources say it is comparable to You Say Tomato, both in quality and character.

Jerry's Cafe
    1209 W 103rd St., KCMO
    (816) 442-7003
    https://www.jerrys-cafe.com/
    If you're only looking to eat one meal all day, or you want to share one meal between two or more people, Jerry's enormous portions deliver the goods. Excellent B&G. Also renowned for their Breaded Pork Tenderloins.

Portia's Cafe
    3840 E Truman Rd., KCMO
    (816) 241-7494
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/portias-cafe-kansas-city
    A true old school, no frills, nuthin' fancy, down n' dirty diner serving some pretty darned good food. Lot's of working folks passing through here every day, so it must be good.

Barbecue Dozens of places. These are our favorites
    Arthur Bryant's
    1727 Brooklyn, KCMO
    (816) 231-1123
    https://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/
    AB's can be a real hit or miss experience. When they're getting it right, it's some of KC's best 'Que. If they're having an off day, you'll swear you'll never go back...but somehow end up there again a few years later hoping it'll be better this time.

My best AB's experience came when I showed up about 15 minutes before opening. I was first in line (I can die happy now), and got everything fresh off the smoker and out of the fryer. Outstanding.

My worst AB's meal was when we showed up late afternoon, in between the lunch and dinner rushes. Dry meats, soggy slaw, burnt, bitter beans, and limp fries. Draw your own conclusions.

LC's
    5800 Blue Pkwy., KCMO
    (816) 923-4484
    https://www.lcsbarbq.com/
    KC 'Que can be a matter of Black and White. Black Pitmasters tend to put out smokier, more aggressively seasoned meats. In short; more Soulful. Meats coming from White Pitmasters tend to be more subtly seasoned with nuanced smoke flavor, almost like they were roasted, rather than smoked.

To be clear, these are broad stroke observations, and are not absolute. The White Pitmasters at SLAP's, mentioned above, put out some very flavorful meats--among my favorites. Personally, I prefer Black BBQ,, and LC's is one of the most consistent, and one of the best. The perfect BBQ meal for Mrs. Roadhouse and I is a plate of LC's Burnt Ends with sides of BBQ Beans and Fresh Cut Fries. A strawberry soda from the help yourself fountain washes it all down.

Jones BBQ
    6706 Kaw Dr., KCKS
    (913) 788-9099
    https://www.jonesbbqkc.com/
    More excellent Black 'Que from two sisters (not being cute, they really are sisters), served kind of in the middle of almost nowhere. They were featured on the Netflix incarnation of Queer Eye a couple of seasons ago. The boys remodeled their tiny kitchen and spruced up the outdoor seating area (nothing indoors, so this might be worth checking out on one of your spring/summer/fall visits)

Brobeck's
    4615 Indian Creek Pkwy., Overland Park, KS
    (913) 901-9700
    https://brobecksbbq.com/
    After SLAP's, our other fave White BBQ joint. Been coming here for years. Excellent 'Que, but don't miss the over the top delicious Ham Salad served with house made Potato Chips. FWIW, they serve both a tomato based and mustard based sauce with their meats. IMO, the Mustard Sauce is the hands down winner between the two of them.

Danny Edwards
    2900 Southwest Blvd., KCMO
    (816) 283-0880
    https://www.dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com/
    Very meaty Ribs and excellent Brisket are the stars of the menu.

Buck Tui BBQ
    6737 W 75th St., Overland Park, KS
    (913) 283-8255
    https://www.bucktuibbq.com/
    A relative newcomer to the KC 'Que scene, and very atypical, Buck Tui offers an Asian twist on the local traditions. You can get a full range of smoked meats, served just like at any other local Greasehouse, or you get them as part of the many Thai dishes featured on the menu. A little pricier than most places, but a worthwhile splurge for a nice family dinner.

That's it for now. Seth Meyers is almost on, and he's NOT a rerun. More to come, including Breaded Pork Tenderloins, Mexican, Asian, Smashburgers, and more.

Buddy
  • Post #83 - February 8th, 2023, 11:42 pm
    Post #83 - February 8th, 2023, 11:42 pm Post #83 - February 8th, 2023, 11:42 pm
    Thanks! I wondered about LC's based on the positive reviews. If bbq is in the forecast, I'll suggest there. We saw Succotash - walked in the door, looked at people's plates (impressive), but the line was far longer than we cared to wait. It's counter serve, get a table after you get your food so can be tough dining in if it's too cold for the outdoor area. Definitely worth a try on a weekday.

I noticed you did not mention Joe's BBQ. Haven't been there, always seems to be busy and a lot of people mention it. Another one that I found to be just "ok" is BB's Lawnside, probably wouldn't repeat.

Looking forward to your other suggestions, especially pork tenderloins. And do you find that KC restaurants close awfully early in the evening compared to Chicago?
  • Post #84 - February 9th, 2023, 12:40 am
    Post #84 - February 9th, 2023, 12:40 am Post #84 - February 9th, 2023, 12:40 am
    People in KC are very 'Que savvy, so anyplace not serving quality smoked meats is not around very long. Joe's KC (nee Oklahoma Joe's) has been around awhile, so enough folks think it's pretty good. I'm not one of them. I think they do an okay job, but, IMO, are highly overrated. I've always theorized their instant rise to fame may have been less about the food, and more about their unique (for KC) location inside a gas station.

I led a three day Roadfood Crawl of KC several years ago, and specifically left Joe's off my list. One guy went rogue and took off on his own to check them out while we went somewhere else. When he finally met back up with us, he said I was right not to include them in the tour. Nothing wrong with Joe's; just not up to the standard of others in town.

I like the 'Que at BB's Lawnside, but don't appreciate their seating protocol. They have live music several nights a week, and people tend to sit long after they've finished their meal, making turnover difficult. If you get there after the show starts, you can wait a long time to sit down.

As for early closures, yeah, KC is definitely NOT "The City That Never Sleeps". Some parts of town are livelier than others once the sun goes down. The Power & Light District and Westport have some pretty good nightlife, but you won't necessarily find the best grub there.

Buddy
  • Post #85 - February 9th, 2023, 5:42 am
    Post #85 - February 9th, 2023, 5:42 am Post #85 - February 9th, 2023, 5:42 am
    In my opinion, the barbecue at Q-39 is so-so. But I think they have some of the best wings I've had.

1000 W 39th St
    Kansas City, MO

11051 Antioch Rd
    Overland Park, KS
  • Post #86 - February 9th, 2023, 12:32 pm
    Post #86 - February 9th, 2023, 12:32 pm Post #86 - February 9th, 2023, 12:32 pm
    I was more put off by Q 39's attitude and vibe than the food. We couldn't help feeling like they're targeting a younger customer base, who are more interested in a higher end experience, as opposed to the overalls and rolled up shirt sleeves of traditional KC BBQ . We weren't treated badly, but the usual down home warmth usually associated with the community was lacking.

Buddy
  • Post #87 - February 9th, 2023, 6:31 pm
    Post #87 - February 9th, 2023, 6:31 pm Post #87 - February 9th, 2023, 6:31 pm
    tjr wrote:...Looking forward to your other suggestions, especially pork tenderloins.

Okedoke, let's do that next. First a couple of notes on my personal BPT tastes.

I've always been confounded by the appeal of those giant BPTs that have been pounded paper thin to overlap the edges of a full sized dinner plate. It may make an impressive Instagram photo, but not necessarily an optimum eating experience. Once you coat the meat on both sides, the breading is actually thicker than the tenderloin itself. The comically small bun is superfluous, and the meat is more likely to be dry within.

Fortunately, all my fave KC BPTs avoid that method. Yes, they're all pounded and tenderized, and they all extend beyond the edge of the bun, but rarely more than an inch and a half, all the way around.

Breaded Pork Tenderloins
    Christy's Tasty Queen
    1405 S 55th St., KCKS
    (913) 287-2800
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/christys-tasty-queen-kansas-city
    Christy's is a classic rural-ish drive in. Counter service only with no place to sit indoors. There's a lovely and spacious grove adjacent with a handful of picnic tables, but you'll want to go on a warm, dry day.

Mrs. Roadhouse and I usually order a single BPT with an extra bun. After cutting the tenderloin in half, it just about perfectly fills each bun. The tenderloin itself is probably about half an inch thick, allowing it to retain flavor and remain moist.

Keep in mind, there is virtually nothing else worth ordering at Christy's; not even the Fries. By their own admission, everything else on the menu comes right off the back of the Sysco truck. Get the sandwich and a drink, and save the extra calories for a stop later in the day.

The Lunch Box (aka 9th St. Liquor & Deli)
    1701 W 9th St., KCMO
    (816) 521-6034
    https://www.lunchboxkc.com/
    If you love a quirky diner inside a neighborhood grocery store, how about a quirky diner inside a rundown liquor and convenience store, located in the middle of a semi-abandoned warehouse district?

Absolutely love this place. If you didn't know what kind of Roadfood delights were awaiting inside, you'd pass this shack without a second look...probably in a hurry. But take the time to get out of your car--no one is waiting to snatch it from you--and go inside for an amazing BPT with a side of fresh cut Fries.

They make some other great sandwiches too, including a Cubano, and a reportedly outstanding Burger.

Kitty's Cafe
    810½ E. 31st St., KCMO
    (816) 753-9711
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/kittys-cafe-kansas-city

Kitty's was recently picked by the New York Times food writing staff as one of their 50 most loved restaurants of 2022. Don't worry. Despite the high recognition, there's nothing fancy or hoity-toity about this place. Just another nondescript hole-in-the-wall joint, beloved by the locals.

Kitty's original owner was Japanese and passed down her recipe for tempura battered BPT's to its current owner, who wisely hasn't changed a thing. The NYT folks describe the sandwich as, "three tempura-battered pork cutlets that come stacked with julienne iceberg, raw onions, pickles — crunch layered with crisp — and dressed with a hot sauce that eats like spicy ketchup."

How ya gonna do better than that?

Jerry's Cafe
    1209 W 103rd St., KCMO
    (816) 442-7003
    https://www.jerrys-cafe.com/
    Mentioned above for their huge, satisfying breakfasts, Jerry's is perhaps best known for their Breaded Pork Tenderloins. That's what drew us there, before we even knew about the breakfasts.

Like the other entries in this category, Jerry's pounds out its tenderloins to a reasonable thickness for maximum flavor and moisture retention.

Taking a break. More to come.

Buddy
  • Post #88 - February 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm
    Post #88 - February 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm Post #88 - February 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:
    Barbecue Dozens of places. These are our favorites
    Arthur Bryant's
    1727 Brooklyn, KCMO
    (816) 231-1123
    https://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

Interesting, your take on AB.

I started going to KC for Q in the late 80's. Arthur Bryants was Mecca as far as I was concerned at that time. My cousin and I compared it to the best barbecue we had around the country.

However, when the children took over, it just wasn't the same. That horrible restaurant they opened near the race track. I was at the main restaurant ( not sure when the race track closed ) about 5 years ago at the height of the dinner hour and will never be back.

I have not tried many of your recs and will attempt to do so.

Recently, Jack Stack has been my go to. This is despite their absolute disdain for the customer during Covid and their ridiculous prices.

I also love LC's. However, since I usually stay in Overland Park, it is a hike to get there and I am usually not up for that.
  • Post #89 - February 9th, 2023, 10:07 pm
    Post #89 - February 9th, 2023, 10:07 pm Post #89 - February 9th, 2023, 10:07 pm
    My first experience at AB's, in 1979, was a disaster, but it was all on me. Up until then, I had mostly had Chicago style BBQ, which is to say not BBQ at all, but baked or boiled ribs, finished off on a gas fired grill, slathered in a sweet, sticky sauce. My only brush with real 'Que was from the long gone Leon's outpost, located across from Cabrini-Green.

The ribs and sauce I had at that first visit to AB's was so radically different from what I thought BBQ was supposed to taste like, I nearly choked on it. I didn't go back for literally 20 years.

During that time, I ate a lot of KC 'Que. Some of it was closer to the stuff I was used to; some was more in line with AB's product. By the time I finally made a return visit, I was better versed in the local standards and had a better understanding of what made Bryant's so good. Naturally, I was wowed on that second visit, and made many return trips over the next few years.

Until...

...that fateful late afternoon meal mentioned above. At that point I knew what good KC BBQ was supposed to taste like, and more importantly, I knew how good AB's 'Que could be. On this visit it was just awful, and made me swear I'd never go back.

Until...

...that Roadfood tour, mentioned above, for about two dozen people who insisted they wanted to go there. I acquiesced, but scheduled the stop to happen right when they opened. And that made all the difference. Go early, get your 'Que fresh and hot, before it's been sitting out half the day, and there's a better chance you'll have a positive experience.

And, while you mention things not being the same since Arthur's kids took over, there are two new owners, IIRC. both white, and of course, no connection to the family. Let's see what happens next.

Jack's Stack turns out a pretty good product, but I have a fundamental objection to "white tablecloth" Barbecue.

Not sure I can support your reasoning for not going to LC's. Just did a Google map, and it's just 15 minutes away from Overland Park. My attitude is, once I'm in KC, I'm 500 miles closer to everything there than I was before I left home.

I'm working under the assumption that you've got a car when you visit. My apologies if that is not the case.

Buddy
  • Post #90 - February 9th, 2023, 10:19 pm
    Post #90 - February 9th, 2023, 10:19 pm Post #90 - February 9th, 2023, 10:19 pm
    Hi,

I was at LC's last August. I stood in line chatting with everyone around me. It was quite enjoyable talking to regulars and those who were on a BBQ trail.

People did not linger at their tables, so few people really waited. I was visiting family, so I could eat it there, in the car or bring to my relatives. I did all three, because I just could not wait to get my hands on the food.

I will be in KC at least twice this year and look forward to checking out Buddy's list.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more