LTH Home

Kansas City Index

Kansas City Index
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - August 12th, 2011, 1:11 am
    Post #31 - August 12th, 2011, 1:11 am Post #31 - August 12th, 2011, 1:11 am
    I guess I take it back, then. I'm very surprised at that. I just assumed ... (I know. "You know what happens when you assume?" ...)
  • Post #32 - August 12th, 2011, 3:22 pm
    Post #32 - August 12th, 2011, 3:22 pm Post #32 - August 12th, 2011, 3:22 pm
    Buddy, I can tell you how to do it.

Take a few pounds of fresh or frozen whole green beans (given the low quality of local beans *most* of the year, I prefer frozen), a couple of smoked ham hocks, and lots of water, and lightly simmer all day. You will achieve Kansas City church social/Mom's Sunday dinner/Stroud's green beans with tasty, smoky liquor. I've done it.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #33 - August 12th, 2011, 8:22 pm
    Post #33 - August 12th, 2011, 8:22 pm Post #33 - August 12th, 2011, 8:22 pm
    I believe you!

Buddy
  • Post #34 - September 14th, 2011, 1:23 am
    Post #34 - September 14th, 2011, 1:23 am Post #34 - September 14th, 2011, 1:23 am
    So, I tried Geo's "casual" (for lack of a better word) recipe tonight with mixed results. The whole thing started on a whim as I was shopping at the Shop & Save in Des Plaines. I noticed that they had Michigan green beans on sale but shrugged it off; not in the mood. But as I made my way through the store I came across the giant smoked turkey legs they stock from time to time. "Golly," I thought, "that giant smoked turkey leg sure looks inviting. But what can I do with it other than rip it from the bone caveman style and chow down?" And then I remembered the green beans and Geo's recipe calling for smoked ham hocks. Thinking this might make an interesting and tasty substitute, I grabbed the biggest turkey haunch I could find and raced up to the front of the store where they keep the produce. I grabbed about 3-4 lbs. of green beans, finished my shopping and headed home with a vague plan in mind.

I stripped the smoky, sweet/salty turkey meat from the bone, keeping it in big chunks, resembling the hunks of pork I saw in my mental picture of Stroud's green beans. I trimmed the beans and coarsely chopped a few medium onions, then threw them in a large stock pot with the turkey. Then I covered it all with--and here's where I think I made my first mistake; following literally Geo's instructions--lots of water. I mean, this was at least a six to one ratio of liquid to solid; greater even than what you would boil pasta in.

Second mistake, and I think I did this instinctively, based on the amount of water that was in the pot, was in starting out with very high heat so as to bring it to a boil with the intent to lower the heat to a simmer later in the process. The combination of these actions resulted in a much faster cook (a couple hours when I was expecting "all day") that produced a bean with the right texture (bordering on mush), but a very diluted flavor. In fact, upon tasting a straight chunk of the turkey, which had a very intense pre-cooked flavor, even it was almost flavorless.

Now, I'm not a total dummy. I figured out that most of the flavor was now in the likker. Trouble was, there was so much of it, even that flavor was diluted. So I drained the beans, reserved all the liquid, and spent several hours boiling it down to intensify the flavor. When it had reduced to about one fifth of its original volume I returned the likker to the fully cooked beans and they are now sitting overnight getting to know each other. I suspect tomorrow I will have Stroud's style green beans that have both the flavor and the texture I'm looking for.

Next time I make this dish, I will use my new found knowledge. There will be much less water to begin with ( I can always add more if I need it), and I'll start on a much lower fire, allowing it to come to temp more gradually.

Thank you Geo (sincerely, no snark) for a basic recipe that allowed me to learn from my mistakes. And for all you naysayers who doubt that Stroud's starts with fresh green beans, I can now tell you from personal experience that, when cooked properly, you can get a "Sunday dinner" quality green bean dish starting with raw, fresh green beans.

Buddy
  • Post #35 - September 14th, 2011, 8:59 am
    Post #35 - September 14th, 2011, 8:59 am Post #35 - September 14th, 2011, 8:59 am
    Buddy,

I apologize for making my recipe way too casual: by "lots of water", I meant more like 2:1; I really should have been more precise. And yes, it does require a long, slow simmer. They're best by the end of the day. :wink:

The turkey legs were inspired, good move! And of course you're exactly right: the glory is in the likker.

I'm sure your next batch will be Stroud's+

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #36 - September 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm
    Post #36 - September 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm Post #36 - September 17th, 2011, 4:16 pm
    Scouring a state-straddling town for the tenderest, juiciest, finger-lickingest meat in the Midwest—this city more than holds its own against the South - from today's Wall Street Journal - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... er_Rotator
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #37 - September 18th, 2011, 12:02 am
    Post #37 - September 18th, 2011, 12:02 am Post #37 - September 18th, 2011, 12:02 am
    I'm proud to say I've eaten in all the places listed, except the two most outlying spots mentioned. The new place they mentioned, Burnt Ends Barbecue, is unknown to me, but I'll be checking it out at my earliest opportunity.

I'll be in KC for the American Royal Barbecue Cook-Off, Friday, September 30th and Saturday, October 1st. I'll be running the BBQ Sauce Store at the American Royal. The Sauce Store is a charitable venture stocked entirely with sauces, marinades, and rubs from manufacturers all over the country. All the product is donated by the manufacturers, and all proceeds go to local charities. If you're a Barbecue Sauce enthusiast, it is a dream come true; hundreds of sauces all in one spot, priced reasonably, and all the money you spend goes toward good causes. If you're coming in from out of town, you'll need to drive in because you'll never get on a return flight home with all that sauce.

BTW, regarding the Stroud's style bean recipe above, my instincts were correct. By returning the reduced likker to the beans, the flavor increased five fold, maybe even surpassing the flavor of the Stroud's model which inspired them.

Buddy
  • Post #38 - September 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm
    Post #38 - September 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm Post #38 - September 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... ifestyle_5
  • Post #39 - November 12th, 2011, 5:15 pm
    Post #39 - November 12th, 2011, 5:15 pm Post #39 - November 12th, 2011, 5:15 pm
    I keep hearing good things about Le Fou Frog so will make a point of checking it out next time I'm in KC.
  • Post #40 - April 1st, 2012, 10:29 pm
    Post #40 - April 1st, 2012, 10:29 pm Post #40 - April 1st, 2012, 10:29 pm
    Went to Le Fou Frog this weekend. It was excellent. Highly recommended. Has a great atmosphere and great food.

Also stopped at Murray's Ice Cream in Westport (try to make it here on each trip to KC). I think this is the best ice cream shop I've ever been to in my life.
  • Post #41 - June 29th, 2012, 6:51 am
    Post #41 - June 29th, 2012, 6:51 am Post #41 - June 29th, 2012, 6:51 am
    Headed to KC on our annual family trip. Places we will hit for sure, Oklahoma Joes, Grinders, Los Corrals, Smoking Guns, Original Peanut, BB's Lawnside BBQ, Jackstack. New places will be Murrays Ice Cream Shop. Looking forward to floating in pool to kill the heat and eating....DB
    Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?...........Louis Armstrong
  • Post #42 - June 29th, 2012, 8:07 am
    Post #42 - June 29th, 2012, 8:07 am Post #42 - June 29th, 2012, 8:07 am
    good grief, NOT Los Corrals!!! Go to the LTHforum/KC and see your options--there's excellent Mex now in KC. Trust me!

Geo
  • Post #43 - June 29th, 2012, 12:45 pm
    Post #43 - June 29th, 2012, 12:45 pm Post #43 - June 29th, 2012, 12:45 pm
    My buddy from there says his family has been going for years swears by it!? The only place on my list I had not been to... Not looking for super authentic just going out with grandparents, a good margarita will help. Your favorite?
  • Post #44 - June 29th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    Post #44 - June 29th, 2012, 12:57 pm Post #44 - June 29th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    It's an old-fashioned third-generation in KC style Mexican place. Your grandparents will probably like it. But the food is so bland and uninteresting that it isn't even "bad".

There are two really excellent taquerias in town: El Camino Real in downtown KCK and Tacos El Matador. Both of these places are The Real Thing: fresh, genuine ingredients, lovingly prepared.

We'll expect a full report when you get back! :)

Geo
  • Post #45 - June 29th, 2012, 1:23 pm
    Post #45 - June 29th, 2012, 1:23 pm Post #45 - June 29th, 2012, 1:23 pm
    Geo,

Thanks for recs. I am looking for a sit down Mexican joint with good chips and salsa, margaritas etc. the family is hardly adventurous ..... We are on the plaza. I will get my taqueria fix here in Chicago ! Thanks again. Danny
  • Post #46 - June 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm
    Post #46 - June 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm Post #46 - June 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm
    OK, gotcha now. Here's exactly what you want: La Fonda el Taquito. Great margaritas, excellent chips, decent food, and, best of all for your needs, it's pretty nicely done up inside, i.e., it does NOT have the ambiance sought by us typical LTHers. :lol:

It's maybe seven minutes from The Plaza.

Geo
  • Post #47 - June 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm
    Post #47 - June 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm Post #47 - June 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm
    That sounds great! Thanks a ton!
  • Post #48 - June 29th, 2012, 3:09 pm
    Post #48 - June 29th, 2012, 3:09 pm Post #48 - June 29th, 2012, 3:09 pm
    jhawk1 wrote:Geo,

Thanks for recs. I am looking for a sit down Mexican joint with good chips and salsa, margaritas etc. the family is hardly adventurous ..... We are on the plaza. I will get my taqueria fix here in Chicago ! Thanks again. Danny

Hey. I'm in KC on the plaza right now. We're leaving in the AM. I'm planning on posting a report in a couple of days. I may try to pne of those Mexican places that Geo mentioned, but it's Strouds tonight.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #49 - June 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm
    Post #49 - June 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm Post #49 - June 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm
    Hey Steve, wave at my house as you drive by Rainbow & 48th Terr! :)

Stroud's is such great fun: I miss it so much up here in Montréal, that I made Stroud's Famous Green Beans night before last to go with my grilled burgers. Yumm! BTW, if anyone in your party is in the mood, the fried catfish is pretty darn good.

Let us know if you try either of those taquerias--they're both worth a trip.

Geo
  • Post #50 - June 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm
    Post #50 - June 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm Post #50 - June 29th, 2012, 3:18 pm
    Geo wrote:Hey Steve, wave at my house as you drive by Rainbow & 48th Terr! :)

Stroud's is such great fun: I miss it so much up here in Montréal, that I made Stroud's Famous Green Beans night before last to go with my grilled burgers. Yumm! BTW, if anyone in your party is in the mood, the fried catfish is pretty darn good.

Let us know if you try either of those taquerias--they're both worth a trip.

Geo

No worries Geo. We'll be in Montreal in August.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #51 - January 28th, 2013, 10:13 pm
    Post #51 - January 28th, 2013, 10:13 pm Post #51 - January 28th, 2013, 10:13 pm
    a cool article on Local Pig...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/dinin ... l?hp&_r=1&
  • Post #52 - September 15th, 2013, 3:14 am
    Post #52 - September 15th, 2013, 3:14 am Post #52 - September 15th, 2013, 3:14 am
    801 Chophouse has a location in Des Moines and Kansas City (and maybe Omaha?) and I've heard it's good, though maybe a little dead at times.
  • Post #53 - September 15th, 2013, 12:54 pm
    Post #53 - September 15th, 2013, 12:54 pm Post #53 - September 15th, 2013, 12:54 pm
    Stopped at Oklahoma Joe's (original location, since it was closest to I-70) on my way to my sister's in Denver. Was not impressed by the brisket, but the ribs were pretty good and the pulled pork was excellent.

Decided upon Oklahoma Joe's after doing a bit of research in this thread and elsewhere; also it helped that it was (relatively) close to the highway.
  • Post #54 - July 15th, 2014, 8:21 am
    Post #54 - July 15th, 2014, 8:21 am Post #54 - July 15th, 2014, 8:21 am
    A couple data points from a quick 36 hours or so in KC.

One of the first stops was the Peanut Bar for a cold beer and a shot - it was a steamy friday afternoon in KC.

Peanut Bar
    5000 Main St
    KC

http://www.peanutkc.com/

one of the best bites I had was a Tocino Taco from Taco Republic - pork belly, chicharones, - really nice. Pork belly was like candy:

Taco Republic had a pretty cool patio as well

Taco Republic
    500 County Line Rd.
    KC

http://eattacorepublic.com/

Also hit 1 or 3 BBQ spots, Woodyard, LC's, BB's Lawnside, Quicks, McGonigles Market, - im sure im forgetting some. - bbq was ok., Tried to hit OK Joes original spot 3 times, but lines were too long. I liked a few bites of the burnt ends I had from LC's - they were actually "burnt" not wet, ribs I had were ok - Glad I rolled in.

A couple random pics of the bbq:

Woodyard ribs & ends:

McGonigles SMokin:

LC's - yeah this spot was smokey as hellz inside.

Thought BB's had a fun deck and I liked the live music as well:

McGonigles address - others are pretty well documented

McGonigles Market
    1307 W. 79th St.
    KC

https://www.mcgonigles.com/

Had to get some fried chicken while in town - Always have to try the best in other areas to see how it stacks up against the LaSalle county bird.

hit the Strouds up on the n. side - The Oak Ridge Manor locale - Ordered the food to go, but enjoyed drinks inside at the bar, and down by the pond that also has a bar.

Fried chicken was solid - I like pan fried chicken - not better than tavern style but enjoy the change. That soup folks mention is really good - liked the noodles alot. - mashewere tasty as well -

Strouds Oak Ridge Manor
    5410 NE Oak Ridge
    KC

http://www.stroudskc.com/north.html

No pics but Ill mention a meal we had at Farmhouse Kansas City - I had read about a aged hanger steak on their menu so we rolled on for that - Meat was cooked to the edge of medium rare and really nice. Maybe allowed to rest a little long as it came out less than piping hot, but I enjoyed this steak quite a bit - and for $19 not bad.

The Farmhouse
    300 Deleware
    KC

http://www.eatatthefarmhouse.com/

Im sure im forgetting some spots -guessing DaBeef will add his spots to the thread - sorry I gotta post about Niecies 1st though..

Last meal in KC was a really good breakfast at Niecies before jetting down to the Lake of the Ozarks for some sun - Knew I wanted waffles, so I went big with some fried chicken wings as well.

excellent - waffle has some crisp to the crust but was also pretty light - wings were good - Popeye's-esque in a good way with how peppery they were.

solid spot:

Niecies Soul Food
    6441 Troost Ave.
    KC

http://www.nieciesrestaurant.com/

KC was a pretty fun town, and pretty easy to get around. Also liked that most bars had Wild Turkey 101 on the shelf.
  • Post #55 - July 15th, 2014, 12:00 pm
    Post #55 - July 15th, 2014, 12:00 pm Post #55 - July 15th, 2014, 12:00 pm
    The Peanut is a favorite watering hole for one of Mrs. Roadhouse's cousins, making it a must stop when we make our annual Christmas visit to KC. I'm not as much a fan of the place, given that we have a limited number of meals while we're in town, and a growing number of favorite restaurants we need to visit. Seeing as we always need to drop a few spots from our list, eating at The Peanut feels like a wasted meal.

That being said, The Peanut does make a pretty good monster chicken wing. When the oversize plate arrives at your table, you're left to wonder if these actually came from chickens, or if there might be some flightless eagles roosting in the trees along I-29. Of course, being wingless, it's tough to figure out how they got up in the trees.

If I was a full time KC resident, with unlimited access to their growing food scene, I might be a bit more enamored of The Peanut. As it is, those chicken wings take some of the sting out of not being somewhere else I'd really rather be.

Buddy
  • Post #56 - July 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm
    Post #56 - July 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm Post #56 - July 17th, 2014, 3:40 pm
    I was in Kansas City with family last weekend, only decided to take one photo over the course of eating out at four places. BB's Lawnside BBQ, with walls covered in posters and paintings of classic blues musicians and a poster of Guy Fieri from his visit. They had ribs. I could only get one dark blurry photo of the lady singing that night:

B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ
    1205 E 85th St
    Kansas City, MO 64131
  • Post #57 - July 21st, 2014, 3:49 pm
    Post #57 - July 21st, 2014, 3:49 pm Post #57 - July 21st, 2014, 3:49 pm
    I have a HUGE backlog of posts, but I really need to give a brief shout-out to Rye. What a terrific place! I'd compare it in tone to some of Donald Link's spots in NOLA - a menu of homey favorites without any homespun glitches or compromises. Instead, absolutely fresh top-quality ingredients, professional service, and a casual-but-special atmosphere. Rye served three of the most outstanding dishes I've had this year. The cold fresh pea soup may have been a daily special, and if I could order it every day of my life, I would. How is it that they exceeded every previous pea soup of my considerable experience? I cannot tell you, but it was delicious, with fresh raw peas and micro-greens sprinkled on top. Also - their fried chicken gives Stroud's a serious run for their money. It was crisp, not overly brined, and perfectly cooked to moist. A fish dish my aunt had was absolutely perfectly cooked. I can't remember if it was cod or perhaps Colorado sturgeon, but it was fresh, meaty, moist, flavorful and garnished in an interesting way. The best part is that the chicken and sides are available at bargain prices for lunch - under $12, IIRC. Check it out!

Also had a RARE burger at Anton's Taproom. I'd say it's a place that takes its meat very seriously. I can't say how often I've found aged beef in a burger. This was a flavorful, high-fat, coarse-ground aged burger, which suffered somewhat from a bun that was not up to the juicy task. I've got to hand it to Anton's: when you order rare, rare you get. I mean RARE. I'm known for asking for steak just this side of "breathing," but this was a fist-sized lump of steak tartare, (minus the raw egg) barely singed on the outside. Think marshmallow over a hot fire - molten inside, crisp outside. Next time, I might just order my burger done medium. Still, I gotta admit. I liked it.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #58 - August 28th, 2014, 11:12 am
    Post #58 - August 28th, 2014, 11:12 am Post #58 - August 28th, 2014, 11:12 am
    The biggest news out of KC is that Oklahoma Joe's BBQ is changeing their name to Joe's Kansas City. There has been a lot of social media push back but it's a done deal. I like it.
  • Post #59 - September 18th, 2014, 10:00 am
    Post #59 - September 18th, 2014, 10:00 am Post #59 - September 18th, 2014, 10:00 am
    Took a little time to get this one together, thats to be expected when I join Grubseeker on a weekend trip to KC. I've driven thru there once and did not stop so this was my first introduction to the city on the other side of Missouri. Obviously the main reason for this visit was BBQ but there were plenty of other stops we had our mouths set on. On top of the smoked meats we wanted to check out the fried taco scene as well as some longtime locals favorites and a hip spot or two. It was a hot July weekend and it might of actually slown us down some, nonetheless I think you'll be impressed. So without further ado.

I don't know about little woman but there's plenty of tatted ones
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Kansas City BBQ

Overall impressions going in were high and while they weren't quite met I still enjoyed our trip. I know they're known for their sauce here but I didn't have any that were as good as Toons, which is a KC style bar so maybe I just didn't find the spot I love. We ended up trying 'q from five spots but had wanted to do some more. Our first stop of the trip was Oklahoma Joe's (soon to be KC Joe's) but we stupidly decided to go elsewhere when we saw the line was long. It would turn out to be the shortest it would get on our three try's so we never made it there. We went inside to Danny Edwards' and sat down waiting for a waitress after they told us to do so and left about 15 minutes in when no one ever appeared. End Result? Austin is still the best BBQ town I've ever ate thru but everyone should decide for themselves by trying them all.

Woodyard BBQ

This place seemed to be a popular spot with many locals and now tourists like us since their appearance on DDD. It was our first BBQ stop of the trip and one of the better ones in my book. While I didnt really enjoy the saucy burnt ends from anywhere I thought here they were at least enjoyable while the ribs were a little better. Best part of the meal was the side of cheesy corn which many KC BBQ spots sport on their menu. Woodyard's recipe was excellent with chunks of smoked bacon back mixed in.

Ribs, Burnt Ends, and Cheesy Corn

Earl Quick's BBQ

This ones on you Grubseeker. I keed. Honestly the best thing about this place was the friendly service that came from the lady behind the counter. The ribs were bad, must of been cooked a day or two prior because the meat was dry and crusted up to the point where not even the sauce could hide it. The fried bologna sandwich on the other hand was a nice snack to munch on after the disappointment of the burnt ends which weren't awful but much like the previous stop were too wet for my liking.

Ribs + Fried Bologna Sandwich

Burnt Ends

LC's BBQ

I've heard nothing but praise for this place and I'll be the first to preach to someone you cant judge a BBQ spot based off one visit but what a letdown. It's not like we were taking this tour on a Tuesday afternoon, most of these spots were doing big business which I assume is the case on most Saturday's. That said LC's wasn't ready. I loved the looks of the place and the fact you could see the smoke in the air while dining inside but it was as if they'd never been busy before. Folks ahead of us were complaining about how they'd been waiting going on a half hour after making their order and we would wind up doing the same. Remembering I wasn't a fan of burnt ends when served wetter than a whales anus I promptly asked the lady taking our order to make sure the sauce was on the side. I walked back to Jim and set the odds of that happening at slim to none and sure enough I was on like Vegas. How was the meat? Chewy. I'm pretty sure they rushed it out because they had no other choice but most of it went into the garbage. Now the four or five pieces that were edible were outstanding and maybe those were a peak into what real burnt ends are all about but at this point I was done with them. All this said, I wont hesitate to go back here because I've heard enough good things.

Burnt Ends

BB's Lawnside BBQ

BB's seemed to be one of the more favorable rib options in town amongst those in the know and they also double as a bar and live music venue so we had them on the list. We were hoping to meet up with Geo, what up!, but he was lounging at the lake a couple hours away. BB's was busy this Saturday afternoon.

Live Music Inside

Pause on reading and take a 25 minute wait, because that's the time it took for the waitress working the patio to get to us for an order. Might as well be consistent with the rest of the spots I guess. In fairness I should point out that the Royal's are relevant for the first time in forever so they were bombarded with people stopping in to eat/drink before heading to the ballpark not too far away. The poor girl was all alone but she still could of brought out my beer when Jim's was delivered. Eventually the ribs were dropped off too. These were pretty damn good in my book. I really liked them. I believe we ordered the long end of the spares which are cooked over wood in their 60+ year old pit. End result was a pleasant one once the Royal's fans headed to the game.

End Spares at BB's Lawnside

McGonigle's Market

McGonigle's has been supplying the people of KC Metro with quality butchered meats for over a half a century and on the weekends they sell BBQ to go. It's made in a smoker that sits there in the parking lot tempting you with sweet smells as you both drive by or walk inside to shop for dinner.

Inside McGonigle's

Very cool spot, as you may or may not know I'm a fan of old school butchers and they've got a world class operation they're running here. After taking a peak at their homemade Italian sausage in the case inside and then seeing the links of them sitting in the smoker outside I decided that was what I needed to try. Props to me for the order. I think this might of been my favorite bite of the trip. Their Italian sausage is fattier than most I've come across but I assume that's because they smoke it. This was done so perfectly and when paired with their spicy pepper driven bbq sauce and some sliced red onions it was a pennant winner. Throw some giardineria on there next time around and you could have a World Series champion.

Smoked Italian Sausage Sandwich

Jim went with an order of spares and they were pretty on point from what I remember. I dont remember much because I was too busy trying to consume the sausage sandwich made with two split links on top of each other. I did manage to finish it but the bun was ditched about halfway in. I needed stomach space for what was still to come.

Rib Close-Up
    ________________________________________________________________________________

Fried Tacos

Ah yes, my guilty pleasure, when it comes to eating anyway. I've done too much research and browsing around on the WWW to know where to find areas with a high concentration of golden tacos. As searches turned up Kansas City was a place that kept on appearing. I always kept this in the back of my mind to remember for when the time to visit came. So you know I was ready.

In-a-Tub Tacos

First and foremost is the local cult favorite known as In-a-Tub tacos. Just like I was excited to try Tasty Tacos on our ride there thru Des Moines I had similar wishes for going here. It's not that I found the signature tacos which are deep fried and served with a powdered nacho cheese on top all that appealing but I did want to decide for myself. Guess what? I liked them and I aint ashamed to say it. No these aren't anything close to authentic tacos dorados as they're a style all their own but as I remember saying to Jim "this is the White Castle of Tacos" and I just so happen to be a slider fan. Don't get me wrong, you eat more than three of these and you will not feel well, I stuck to two on each visit, yep we went Friday and Saturday, and seeing as how I'm a fan of the fried taco it shouldn't come as a surprise I liked these guys which come served in a tub with a couple sheets underneath to prevent grease from seeping.

Signature Tacos (1 beef + 1 beef/bean)

Los Tules - Stopped into here for one of their signature fried tacos made with flour tortillas. It was ok. Seems to be a popular spot for people to go out and get a drink and eat before going somewhere else for more booze.

Ponak's Mexican Kitchen - Similar stop and taco to up above expect theirs is made with shredded chuck. Nice place for a cold drink on a hot and humid day.

Cancun Fiesta - I snuck off in between shots to nosh on this. I guess this place has a few locations in town including one in the middle of the Westport neighborhood which is where lots of drinking gets done. Makes sense, these grease balls can soak up lots of liquor.

Lobito's Steakburger

Located in Independence, MO this place came up as one of the more popular fried taco stops when looking around online. Housed in a former old school steakburger drive-in they kept the sign up and even have a house named steak burger on the menu but thats not why we were there. Their "GB's" are $1.25 each and are probably the most classic example of a real deal taco dorado like that of which you'd actually find in Mexico. These little guys were tasty.

GB's

More Tacos

Bichelmeyer Meats

Repeat. I love my independent Midwest meat markets. However our reason for visiting this business running since 1946 wasnt for meat to throw in the cooler. On weekends they do tacos made to order and people online were praising the place. It's not a bad start when you get there and there's a quick moving line at least 20 deep. What started off with lots of hope upon seeing a fresh al pastor spit was quickly dismissed upon first bite.

Al Pastor Spit at Meat Market

The line was moving too quick for the spit to be allowed to darken the pieces so I don't know where the meat we were served came from but it wasn't any good. The al pastor was large fatty chunks while the steak was a salt bomb. I'm sure there's better to be had around town.

Al Pastor and Steak Tacos

Taco Republic

From my recent travels in the last year or two I've come to find every metro area in America has a place like this. Chicago has a handful though our most well known one, Big Star, is best compared to this place. Mainly for the setup and style more than anything. Located across the street from Oklahoma Joe's they have a nice happy hour deal and some pretty good designer tacos and tons of outdoor seating space. The pork in which Jim shares upthread was as good of a pork belly taco I've had from the many modern taquerias I've visited. The steak one pictured below was good but not great and even though there were other options to try they wouldn't be had this time time around.

Carne Asada, Poblano Strips, Corn, Cotija Cheese

Locals Favorites

These are the spots I prefer when traveling and I knew KC had a quite a few. I love all aspects of dining but I tend to enjoy the locally loved spots the most when on the road because of the peak into what normal life is like in wherever it is I am. Also the fact America is loaded with many types of regional cuisines and Kansas City has more than just BBQ going on. There seems to be some good soul food selections as well as classic hamburger stops and a bunch of places that have been doing something classic the same way for forever and a few of them were in order.

Niecie's Restaurant

This place has long been a stop to those of us who love Roadfood and also the locals of Kansas City. There were folks from all walks of life on our visit in which we took a seat at the counter. Service was as good if not better than you'll get at any Michelin rated restaurant and the food was really good too. I ate lots of grits while down on a trip in Asheville towards end of summer but none compared to Niecie's which were as creamy as a Wisconsin cow with more butter on top than a burger from Solly's Grille in Milwaukee. Biscuits and gravy were also on point and the bite of chicken and waffles I had tasted on par with the rest of the meal. Great stop.

Chicken and Waffles

Side of Grits

Biscuits and Gravy

Stroud's Resturant

I've seen many top fried chicken in America lists and you can almost always count on Stroud's being included in them. As time has gone by and I've traveled to more and more spots, I've gotten to eat at lots of the places people mention when the best fried bird in the States is discussed. Seeing as how I was with swside aka the 'Fried Chicken Chief' this was an obvious stop. We rolled to the Oakwood Manor location which is the old school one that looks like a house with a bar outside down by the pond and plenty of space to wait which is what you'll be doing if you visit on the weekend. We decided to forego the line and place a to-go order at the bar and bring it out the concert venue sized parking lot to dine al trunko. We went with the meal deal thingy that included the famous pan fried chicken as well as homemade chicken noodle soup, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans and their almost as famous homemade cinnamon rolls.

Famous Pan-Fried Chicken

So how did this compare with the rest? Well it was damn good. Some of the better fried chicken I've had all year but I'll tell you what. It's the soup and sides I want right now. No bull the soup was maybe the best chicken noodle I can remember consuming and I say this because it was being enjoyed in 90+ degree heat. Slow cooked green beans are probably my favorite vegetable and theirs were so damn good I was tempted to go back in for an order to eat later. Mashed potatoes were made with real spuds and included a deep chicken gravy. All in all this was a great stop on the roadfood trail thats worthy of the attention its given. Oh and those warm rolls, phenomenal.

Cinnamon Rolls

Image Image
    Dixon's Famous Chili - I tried folks I did. But I was so full despite making Jim pull in that all I could muster was a taco which comes served in a generic hardshell with their chili inside and some cheese on top. It was ok. Read more about this spot HERE.

Kitty's Cafe - Home of the Tempura Tenderloin. I posted on this beauty HERE.

Town Topic Hamburgers

Been wanting to come here for some time. It's been on all the shows and is often mentioned when Kansas City's best burger is discussed. I wish we got to dig further into the city's burger culture but there's always next time. In the meantime this was the spot we had to try due to locals fondness for it. The Midwest takes the smashed burger very serious. I'm pretty sure they're a regional thing we can claim as great ones are found from here to Detroit and all spots in between. My usual rule for these types is to go double since the patty is usually smaller than norm and I should of known to do so here. Other than this was a spectacular greasy burger that works great for soaking up the days libations. They're open 24/7 so as you can imagine they're a popular after hours stop. Big fan.

Cheeseburger

Farmhouse - I'm not biased in my spots I visit. I like to check out the places taking the scene by storm too. Farmhouse is a hip farm to table-tip to tail type restaurant where they serve a pretty good aged hangar steak that came cooked below medium rare request which was fine, better than overdone. Nice bite.

The historic Imperial Brewing Building...that's it for this trip! See ya next time.

Woodyard BBQ
    3001 Merriam Ln
    Kansas City, KS 66106
    (913) 362-8000

Quick's BBQ
    1007 Merriam Ln
    Kansas City, KS 66103
    (913) 236-7228

L C's Bar-B-Q
    5800 Blue Parkway
    Kansas City, MO 64129
    (816) 923-4484

BB's Lawnside BBQ
    1205 E 85th St
    Kansas City, MO 64131
    (816) 822-7427

McGonigle's Market
    1307 W 79 St
    Kansas City, MO 64114
    (816) 444-4720

In-a-Tub
    8174 NW Prairie View Rd
    Kansas City, MO 64151
    (816) 436-5888

Los Tules
    1656 Broadway St
    Kansas City, MO 64108
    (816) 421-9229

Ponak's Mexican Kitchen
    2856 Southwest Blvd
    Kansas City, MO 64108
    (816) 753-0775

Cancun Fiesta Fresh
    4019 Pennsylvania Ave
    Kansas City, MO 64111
    (816) 756-2120

Lobito's Steakburger and Mexican Food
    3421 Blue Ridge Cutoff
    Independence, MO 64055
    (816) 921-0044

Bichelmeyer Meats
    704 Cheyenne Ave
    Kansas City, KS 66105
    (913) 342-5945

Taco Republic
    500 County Line Rd
    Kansas City, KS 66103
    (913) 262-8226

Niecie's Restaurant
    6441 Troost Ave
    Kansas City, MO 64131
    (816) 444-6006

Strouds Restaurant
    5410 NE Oakridge Rd
    Kansas City, MO
    (816) 454-9600

Dixon's Famous Chili
    9105 E US Highway 40
    Independence, MO 64055
    (816) 861-7308

Kitty's Cafe
    810 1/2 E 31st St
    Kansas City, MO 64109
    (816) 753-9711

Town Topic Hamburgers
    2021 Broadway St
    Kansas City, MO 64108
    (816) 842-2298

The Farmhouse
    300 Delaware St
    Kansas City, MO 64105
    (816) 569-6032
  • Post #60 - September 18th, 2014, 10:23 am
    Post #60 - September 18th, 2014, 10:23 am Post #60 - September 18th, 2014, 10:23 am
    You know good things will happen when Da Beef and jimswside hit the road. Thanks for sharing!
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more