LTH Home

(Food) Stops from Chicago to Detroit

(Food) Stops from Chicago to Detroit
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - April 5th, 2008, 7:11 pm
    Post #31 - April 5th, 2008, 7:11 pm Post #31 - April 5th, 2008, 7:11 pm
    On this trip we left a little bit later than usual, closer to noon, so we aimed for a lunch stop that was quick and earlier along 94.

We did make a stop at the Bit of Swiss pastry shoppe in Stevensville and picked up a four different pastries. One was a pear almond tart, a raspberry mousse with a chocolate crust, a lemon tart, and (i forget the name) - a multilayered cake/cream pastry that is chocolate dipped. All them were wonderful and it came out to about $12.

Breads are a big part of their business and there probably would have been a bigger selection of breakfast pastries (croissants, scones, coffee cakes). if we were earlier. Their cinnamon bread looked interesting, and we'll have to try it next time.

For lunch we dropped into the Panel Room. Both of us got breakfast. The wife got the Panel Room special (I didn't pay attention or sample), while I got the country fried steak with eggs, hashbrowns, and pancakes. Service was friendly, fast, and there was no wait for seating on Thursday afternoon (ok...it was probably already 3pm if not later). Seating is separated into smoking and non-smoking so do let that shock you since Chicago has gone non-smoking. Any hint of smoke that we detected while in the non-smoking section was forgotten shortly after.

On the return trip, we decided to pass the Waffle House at exit 52 since it seemed that Steve Z. recommended primarily for bfast and lunch. So onwards we went to the Friendly Tavern and Grill. This was a Sunday, so I got to partake in the prime rib special for $10. It came with a soup (I had their broccoli cheese), potatoes (chose au gratin), and some mixed vegetables. The veggies are nothing to write about (from frozen diced), but they're not the star of the show anyways. I enjoyed the prime rib (juicy still at the requested medium).

The wife ordered the soup (french onion) and salad (caesar). The soup was nice as recommended by BTB and it is interesting to note that french onion soup is also available at the Panel Room. There are daily specials each day though they vary in price (I think all you can eat king crab legs was $20). We didn't really have room for dessert (must - avoid - food - coma), so that is one drawback of eating on the road with rainy night drive ahead of us. Oh, to avoid the shock again, Friendly is a tavern...so just like Chicago is now, it'll be smoky and more so than the Panel Room since it's a smaller place and it's a bar.

Well, that's about it. Most of our meal stops are usually in between somewhere rather than closer to Chicago or Detroit. I guess we avoid the Detroit end because we don't want to spoil our appetites for dinner with family, but I guess there's no reason to keep us from enjoying a meal in Indiana or even South Chicago. Either way, Kalamazoo marks the half-way point for us and we'll probably take note of other stops at the other exits around surrounding 39 (Friendly) and 46 (Panel Room). The Waffle House (Lawrence, 52) is up at bat next time. We'll have to pay more attention to billboards and those exit road signs. We saw Sophia's (pancakes) at exit 29 and I think Rookies at exit 41, speak up if anyone has an opinion.

-elvin-
  • Post #32 - July 14th, 2008, 9:48 pm
    Post #32 - July 14th, 2008, 9:48 pm Post #32 - July 14th, 2008, 9:48 pm
    Logged another trip. This time stopped at Redamak's which changed now has convinced me that my memory of a mediocre burger was false. Good onion rings (I think you can negotiate an upgrade to rings with the workman's specials)...and we also enjoyed the tomato soup/bisque that was the soup of the day. Fries may be industrial supply but precisely cooked. Though we were a little late in the afternoon, it was busy on July 3rd and we still got in with no wait and got out relatively quickly too. (Same could not be said on July 6th on Sunday evening - we kept driving on Red Arrow bypassing the crazy 94 construction).

We are wondering about the Swedish Bakery in Harbert. We dropped by Jackson's which I had remembered being in New Buffalo...but now is further north on Red Arrow. Still have not hit the Waffle House in Lawrence...their sign was in disrepair...but we'll try to make a bfast/lunch stop next time.

-elvin-
  • Post #33 - July 14th, 2008, 10:20 pm
    Post #33 - July 14th, 2008, 10:20 pm Post #33 - July 14th, 2008, 10:20 pm
    Will probably focus next on keeping an eye out for more Indiana options...and maybe even making some Chicago south side stops on the way out given we're Rogers Parkers. Would like to make a stop at Calumet Fisheries next time for smoked shrimp.
  • Post #34 - August 7th, 2008, 2:59 pm
    Post #34 - August 7th, 2008, 2:59 pm Post #34 - August 7th, 2008, 2:59 pm
    Any recent experiences with Tosi's?
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #35 - August 13th, 2008, 4:50 pm
    Post #35 - August 13th, 2008, 4:50 pm Post #35 - August 13th, 2008, 4:50 pm
    Tosi's is an excellent restaurant that's been around a long time near Lake Michigan in Stevensville. It is a fairly large restaurant specializing in a number of great pasta and Italian dishes, but serves some great steaks also. It's a little hard to find if you're not familiar with the area, but it is always worth a visit or two during the summer season. Check out their website at http://www.tosis.com/.
  • Post #36 - August 25th, 2008, 1:33 pm
    Post #36 - August 25th, 2008, 1:33 pm Post #36 - August 25th, 2008, 1:33 pm
    BTB wrote:Several recommendations that are just a short distance off of I-94:
    (1) Friendly Tavern & Grill - Exit 39 about 10 minutes north in downtown little Coloma is one of the best restaurants in southwest Michigan. Open everyday for lunch and dinner. Anything from great hamburgers, mexican dishes, yellow lake perch and other full course meals. Try their french onion soup. Ray, the owner, really has made it a "friendly" place.
    (2) Panel Room - About 1/2 mile north of Exit 46. Great place the locals and farmers go to for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Alot of great daily specials.
    (3) Bilbo's - Exit 76 about a mile south on Westnedge. They serve their popular local style pizza and other great foods both for lunch and dinner. Very popular with the college kids at their Western Michigan University location. Also, there are many very good restaurants right around this area on Westnedge, which is a popular shopping area in Portage (Kalamazoo).
    (4) Cornwell's Turkeyville USA - on the east side of Battlecreek, only a short 10 or 15 minute drive from I-94. Take I-69 north off of I-94, get off at first exit ((Exit 42) and go west and follow signs. Interesting place that specializes in all kinds of turkey dishes. Google for their website.
    (5) Schuler's - downtown Marshall, Mich. about a 10 minute drive from either Exit 110 or 112. All kinds of great food for brunch, lunch and dinner. I've had prime rib at places all over the country, but none have ever been as good as that served at Schuler's. A very famous classic restaurant. Website at http://www.schulersrestaurant.com/
    Parenthetically, I would take both Wafflehouses of America (at Exits 41 and 52) off of the recommended list. They are both way past their prime. Nothing like the good ones that exist down south.

BTB, a belated thank you for your ideas. We recently traveled between Chicago and Detroit. We used ideas 1,2 and 5 above.

I would say that all three offered something more than typical food near the Interstate, and all three are decent choices for anyone traveling this stretch of I-94. I would offer that of the three we liked Schuler's by far the best. That is a real gem. Marshall is scenic small town America with some great local architecture. Schuler's is not a cheap restaurant, but it is a very good bargain.

Friendly's had one just outstanding feature, some of the best fried pickles I've ever sampled. The rest of the food was solid but to me, this is not a "to-travel" place but worth eating at if right here.

Panel Room kinda split the difference. It's not as plain out special as Schuler's, i.e., worth a small detour, but it's a bit more special than Friendly's. Not all the food they offered was made with decent local ingredients, but enough was. I'd quantify this place as worth waiting a few exits for.

Again, thanks for the leg work.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #37 - December 29th, 2008, 3:59 pm
    Post #37 - December 29th, 2008, 3:59 pm Post #37 - December 29th, 2008, 3:59 pm
    Recently discovered that there's a Sherman's Ice Cream at the Orchards Mall food court so we stopped on our way out this holiday. Good variety of flavors, with a selection of 24, and the prices are pretty reasonable starting with the $2.20 for their baby size (the small was generous where we split blueberry and their chocolate peanut butter). Here's the details:

Sherman's Ice Cream
    1800 Pipestone -Benton Harbor
    269-925-7497
    exit 29 off 94

(Would have to say though after a few visits - the turnover in their ice cream doesn't seem to be that good in the low traffic mall. If you are able to get to South Haven or other high traffic establishments that carries their product - you'll probably have a better experience but probably pay more. Maybe this can be managed by choosing only popular high turnover flavors or asking the server for suggestions. - 7/3/2010 note added)

We did make another stop at Calumet Fisheries this time out for smoked shrimp. A little pricey at $20 odd a lb but worth it. Easy off before the skyway bridge and easy back on just past the bridge.

Thinking about the Calumet Bakery next time...

-elvin-
    Last edited by elvinc on July 3rd, 2010, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #38 - January 2nd, 2009, 12:37 pm
    Post #38 - January 2nd, 2009, 12:37 pm Post #38 - January 2nd, 2009, 12:37 pm
    I know there's a Portillo's somewhere in Indiana that's pretty close to the route. I went there on my way back to Chicago from Ann Arbor, MI.

I love Portillo's so it was good to get a fix mid route.
    Hillary
    http://chewonthatblog.com <--A Chicago Food Blog!
  • Post #39 - January 2nd, 2009, 2:57 pm
    Post #39 - January 2nd, 2009, 2:57 pm Post #39 - January 2nd, 2009, 2:57 pm
    chewonthat wrote:I know there's a Portillo's somewhere in Indiana that's pretty close to the route. I went there on my way back to Chicago from Ann Arbor, MI.

I love Portillo's so it was good to get a fix mid route.

Portillo's - Merrillville, Indiana
    555 E 81st Street
    Merrillville IN 46410
    219-769-8300
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #40 - September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm
    Post #40 - September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm Post #40 - September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm
    Update from our Labor Day trip.

1) Dropped into Schoop's in Michigan City for a good burger with it's crispy edges as described by the Kevin Pang on The Cheeseburger Show. Put it together with a subtle hazelnut shake and their Loops which are their curly fries. It is table service and open year round. Didn't get a chance to check their hours for those late night returns from Detroit though. This location is the one furthest along on the way to Detroit. Along the Skyway, there's one in Whiting but that's sort of early usually for us to be thinking about lunch.

2) Also got nosy about Kalamazoo after some mentions in discussion forums I browsed. Took note of Sweetwater's Donut Mill that had gotten a lot of praise on Yelp. Convenient near-exit location on Sprinkle Rd/Business 94 in Kalamazoo. (other locations in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek). 24 hour donuts here, with hefty tasty varieties of raised and cake. A dozen runs about $7 and they've got a punch card for a free half dozen after six dozens. If you have a favorite but you don't see them up front, go ahead and ask, they may be ready in the back. Brought two dozen to work today - they seemed to hold up well enough for one more day. They do take credit if you wind up cash short.
  • Post #41 - March 22nd, 2010, 6:24 pm
    Post #41 - March 22nd, 2010, 6:24 pm Post #41 - March 22nd, 2010, 6:24 pm
    stopped today on the way home from tony the tiger land.
    at SWEETWATER'S DONUT MILL great sweets had 2 bismark's :mrgreen:
    1 boston cream
    1 strawberry filled glazed

2 locations in k-zoo also

2807 capital ave.
    battle creek,mi.
    269-979-1944
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #42 - March 22nd, 2010, 9:40 pm
    Post #42 - March 22nd, 2010, 9:40 pm Post #42 - March 22nd, 2010, 9:40 pm
    After several more visits to Sweetwater's since our first Labor Day visit. I prefer their raised over their cake donuts. The cake donuts seem to be a bit too dry for me, while the raised donuts seem to keep longer. Keep an eye out for their coconut cream (coconut flakes outside and creme inside) and peanut butter cup combines (peanut butter frosting top with chocolate cream inside). The K-zoo Sprinkle road location is the largest one with the most selection - the Battle Creek location is small, may have a little more character for sit in, but is practically just at the end of the off ramp with the back-on ramp just behind it.

It's funny to have Saveur put it on their Top 100 in their Jan 2010 issue.

-e-
  • Post #43 - July 3rd, 2010, 10:42 pm
    Post #43 - July 3rd, 2010, 10:42 pm Post #43 - July 3rd, 2010, 10:42 pm
    Though I'm trying to squeeze in revisits to Dat Donut and Old Fashioned Donuts on future trips, we found a new non-donut gem on this last trip. In Michigan City, Panini Panini, is a great casual place to get sandwiches, soup, quiche, or a salad. There are also pasta and seafood entreés if you're more in a dinner or different mood. Desserts aren't left out - and that includes breakfast sweets. What we left with was a chocolate pecan topped sour cream cake which was wonderful after we arrived in Detroit. What we did have at the end of the meal was a Jesuit (or Jésuite) - light cream and fruit filled pastry (nothing like a turnover which it resembles at quick glance). They're served with a side of creme fraiche.

Sandwiches are generous (we went with a caprese) and came with a bit of salad and a small slice of watermelon. Sandwich/Salad/Soup combos make for affordable pairings and we had a French onion with it. Also in the mix was a light fluffy quiche florentine. The list of sandwich possibilities was long on their menu and even for quiche there were at at least four(?) varieties.

Interesting note...the owners of Panini Panini once were the owners (in a series of) the Panini Panini in Rogers Park 15 years ago. I noticed this in their plaque from the Rogers Park Community Council I think mounted near the back of the restaurant.
  • Post #44 - July 9th, 2010, 3:51 pm
    Post #44 - July 9th, 2010, 3:51 pm Post #44 - July 9th, 2010, 3:51 pm
    stopped at
    la perla market today ,this is a one stop shop ,eat,bakery,travel info,checks cashed everything.

but the food is outstanding :D
    had chicken with cream mushroom sauce ,beans,rice, & 2 taco's
    next time i am getting the barboca(steamed beef cheek) :mrgreen:

1231 Pipestone Rd
    Benton Harbor, MI 49022
    (269) 934-8813
  • Post #45 - December 11th, 2010, 11:34 am
    Post #45 - December 11th, 2010, 11:34 am Post #45 - December 11th, 2010, 11:34 am
    News clips below.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20101210/LIFESTYLE/12100320/1463/LIFESTYLE05/Slows-to-Go-BBQ-opens-Monday-in-Cass-Corridor

Slows to go
    4107 Cass at Alexandrine (New just opened)
    Detroit, MI 48201
    (877) 569-7246
    http://slowstogo.com/

Slow's BBQ
    2138 Michigan Ave
    Detroit, Michigan 48216
    (313) 962-9828
    http://slowsbarbq.com/
  • Post #46 - December 13th, 2010, 6:38 pm
    Post #46 - December 13th, 2010, 6:38 pm Post #46 - December 13th, 2010, 6:38 pm
    On a trip to Battle Creek we stopped at this old school donut shop. They were putting out the first donuts of the night. The french cruller was the best i ever had. They have received kudos from Saveur. 3 locations - 2 in Kalamazoo and 1 in Battle Creek. Sprinkle Road and Capital Ave have easy access to I94

http://www.sweetwatersdonuts.com/

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/S ... -Doughnuts

2138 Sprinkle Rd
    Kalamazoo, MI
    269-388-4613

3333 Stadium Dr.
    Kalamazoo, MI
    269-372-3636

2807 Capital Ave
    Battle Creek, MI
    269-979-1944
  • Post #47 - April 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm
    Post #47 - April 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm Post #47 - April 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm
    This last March we made a new stop at Carlson's in Michigan City (http://www.carlsonsdrive-in.com/). Had noticed a root beer stand pattern in Indiana and Michigan. Got a burger and a root beer and indeed the root beer stands out tasting rootier than store bought brands. The burger didn't really stand out necessarily, but if you are not taking your food/drink on the run, you can get your root beer (or their home brew cream soda) in a tall glass mug.

Will check back next time with an opinion on their cream soda (why didn't I get one of each?). Noticed here and at Redamak's that apple fritters (small bite sized bunch) are a common side.

Did also stop at one of The Root Beer Stands in Kalamazoo, but the root beer didn't stand out as much.

Oh since this post stays up a while...it's a drive-in so it's early Feb to early Oct. There are picnic tables, so if you don't want to eat in your car, it is an option. So is having it to go.
  • Post #48 - October 10th, 2011, 7:38 pm
    Post #48 - October 10th, 2011, 7:38 pm Post #48 - October 10th, 2011, 7:38 pm
    On the way back from Detroit, Labor Day weekend, it was getting late so we decided to stop by the Sugar Bear in Paw Paw. Open late, with ice cream and sandwiches, we figured it was a better stop than driving further for chains. http://sugarbearpawpaw.com

Got a good burger, grilled cheese, and soup and saved room for their Hudsonville ice cream. They have a detailed menu with flexibility for a variety of dietary restrictions/preferences. One of their sides was homemade applesauce and they are proud to note that their meat products come from Bob's Processing in South Haven.

They do have a large kids play area too. Our daughter was able to have it all to herself since we came in at about 8 p.m. on a Tuesday.

Close off of 94 and right in town if you want to stroll after your meal.
    Last edited by elvinc on October 11th, 2011, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #49 - October 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm
    Post #49 - October 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm Post #49 - October 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm
    elvin,

I appreciate your (and others) occasional updates to this thread. There have been 47 responses, though over 8600 views.

I'll bet more than a few people have been helped by this thread you initiated.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #50 - October 11th, 2011, 3:06 am
    Post #50 - October 11th, 2011, 3:06 am Post #50 - October 11th, 2011, 3:06 am
    sugar bear is a great stop.

mikes ham . :mrgreen: the best .
    just got back from detroit tailgate had to go to mikes
  • Post #51 - October 21st, 2011, 10:54 am
    Post #51 - October 21st, 2011, 10:54 am Post #51 - October 21st, 2011, 10:54 am
    I enjoyed Fitzgeralds in Sawyer (http://fitzsawyer.com/). Nice little bistro. Exit 12, head towards town, just over the RR tracks. Apparently their new neighbor is Greenbush Brewery.
    In Ann Arbor, I always try to make it to Blimpy Burger (not the sub chain) at Division and Packard (http://www.blimpyburger.com/). Thin patty burgers (double, triple, quad and quint; singles are for kids only) with a huge list of toppings, ordered cafeteria style. One of the best burger joints I've ever been to.
  • Post #52 - November 28th, 2011, 10:06 pm
    Post #52 - November 28th, 2011, 10:06 pm Post #52 - November 28th, 2011, 10:06 pm
    Stopped this time and Old Fashioned Donuts (11248 S Michigan Ave) on the way out and did find that though their regular donuts are good (chocolate cake could use some more chocolate) but the star is the apple fritter that we got that was right out of the fryer (well almost - glaze, pecans, and some cooling before it went into the box). It is giant, but more importantly, cooled glaze and crispy outside, and hot/moist inside. Still holds up even after cooling - so don't worry about timing unless they happen to be out of them entirely. (We took 94 to S. Michigan, then got back on 94 skipping the Skyway).

Also did drop by the Gelatoworks in Benton Harbor -http://www.gelatoworks.com/. Small selection but enough to find something you'll like while offering some interesting choices too. Lemon buttermilk and bourbon gingersnaps were our choices. Space is shared with an art gallery featuring a lot of glass work which is made in a studio in the back downstairs. There is an alcove with seating that you can enjoy your gelato while learning and observing the craft. Take Pipestone exit into downtown Benton Harbor - it becomes Water St. and you're there. Business-94 heading east was an easy reconnect to get back on our way.

On the way back, held up with traffic on the two lane stretch of 94 leading up to Kalamazoo, we did get in to place a to go order at Shawarma King (we would have dined in if we got in earlier). We stuck with sandwiches (beef shawarma and moujadrah - fried lentils, rice, hummus, and tabbouli) and threw in some falafel (very good, made to order) and grape leaves (some meat and some veggie). Even in terms of sandwiches alone, there are many meat and vegetarian varieties and don't miss the falafel and grape leaves that you can order by the piece rather than appetizer dozen. Sign outside says their cuisine is Lebanese and it would seem like they could would be a fair match against place we've been to in Skokie. Enough to want to go back and order in. At first glance this seemed to be a hassle to get to with the connections on 131N, Stadium Dr (Business-94), and Drake...but those connections are so brief. http://www.kzooshawarmaking.com/

Oh...we do still continue to drop in to Sweetwater's in Kalamazoo on Sprinkle. I think the key to their cake donuts (which don't keep as long) is to see if you can get donuts that were made more recently or possibly the cake special of the day. Cherry and red velvet donuts we got this time (pumpkin was out on our return) were lighter than cake donuts we've had in the past.
  • Post #53 - December 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm
    Post #53 - December 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm Post #53 - December 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm
    Ann Arbor- Zingermans obviously...

Angelo's- One of the best breakfast establishments in the U.S., easilly.

Get a Fragel

Detroit- Slows BBQ

Supino's - Very good nyc style pizza in the eastern market that rivals pizza anywhere.

Calder Brother's dairy some of the best ice cream and milkshakes I've ever had in my life!
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/calder-bros-dairy-lincoln-park

Scotty Simpson's fish and chips. Best fish and chips I've had in the midwest.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/scotty-simpsons ... ps-detroit
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #54 - December 7th, 2011, 3:22 pm
    Post #54 - December 7th, 2011, 3:22 pm Post #54 - December 7th, 2011, 3:22 pm
    FoodSnob77 wrote:Angelo's- One of the best breakfast establishments in the U.S., easilly.

Get a Fragel

Does Angelo's do Fragels? I loved those at the long-gone Bagel Factory. Did Angelo's start doing them?

• Post #55 - December 7th, 2011, 3:32 pm
    Post #55 - December 7th, 2011, 3:32 pm Post #55 - December 7th, 2011, 3:32 pm
    To my knowledge, Angelo's doesnt do fragels. When I went to school there, the place where I got fragels was a bagel place on south u that is not there anymore, but there are 3 to 5 establishments now that do fragels, the best being Sids adn Bagel Fragel.
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #56 - July 29th, 2012, 11:32 pm
    Post #56 - July 29th, 2012, 11:32 pm Post #56 - July 29th, 2012, 11:32 pm
    Just back from Detroit again. Quick update to previous posts:

- Sweetwater's Donut Mill (Sprinkle Road - KZoo): new strategy for picking fresher cake donuts there - aim for the varieties that are on the shelves with larger trays and are full. (Larger trays = popular, full = just out from kitchen). Worked today for buttermilk. Not always keen for their special variety of the day and thus if it doesn't move, it may not be as fresh as others. Their honey dipped yeast-raised isn't half bad...never gave it much of a thought before in the face of all their other varieties.

- Shawarma King in KZoo: amazing $2.25 sandwich specials each day. (Iraqi kefta and chicken kefta today). I asked one of the servers about the Amo Mazen tea they have emblazoned on their staff shirts. He offered me a cup to go - it's a house combination of cinnamon, cardamom, Ceylon tea, sugar and evaporated milk . http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/09/hot-ticket_item_tea_as_a_tasty.html Great to have, even in the summer (ok...sure it was only 70 some degrees today at 8:30 p.m.)
  • Post #57 - September 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm
    Post #57 - September 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm Post #57 - September 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm
    Well our trips to Detroit are going to be much fewer now and will leave this thread to others who have contributed.

My father-in-law passed away suddenly back in June and we've just recently moved my mother-in-law to Chicago.

That meant extra trips back and forth to Detroit these last couple months. Last (?) travel notes:

• While exploring dining options (and cheaper gas) in nearby Hammond, came across Munster Donuts at 8314 Calumet. A nice independent with some unique options that standout from the chains (or should that be singular?).
    • Gas gets cheap surprisingly in Michigan City occasionally where we've been stopping at Panini Panini - otherwise around Kalamazoo (Shawarma King and Sweetwater's) is another low gas price zone.

Hopefully we'll be making at least shorter trips to the Indiana and Michigan shores in the coming year and our travel notes will still be partly relevant.
  • Post #58 - September 20th, 2012, 6:32 am
    Post #58 - September 20th, 2012, 6:32 am Post #58 - September 20th, 2012, 6:32 am
    try chin chin at exit 66 north to plaze on right :mrgreen:
  • Post #59 - October 21st, 2012, 11:01 am
    Post #59 - October 21st, 2012, 11:01 am Post #59 - October 21st, 2012, 11:01 am
    A couple jobs ago I used to spend 15-30 weeks in Marshall, MI every year from 2003-2006, and I practically lived on Pastrami Joe's sandwiches. Delicious soups, too. My favorite was the "No. 11 — Heavenly Heap - tender corned beef, hot and piled high on light rye, with swiss and dark mustard". Simple but good.

I miss that place... according to their website they're still around. They're not open very late, especially their BC location (which I never got around to visiting), but it's the perfect place for lunch. Get there a little before 12 or after 1. Unless they've expanded since I've been there there's not a lot of indoor seating, and the entire staff of the nearby hospital piles in there at 12:05.

Pastrami Joe's
    105 N. Jefferson St.
    Marshall, MI 49068
    ph:269.781.8800

and
    35 W. Jackson St.
    Battle Creek, MI 49017
    ph: 269.963.8800

http://www.pastramijoes.com/
  • Post #60 - October 16th, 2013, 6:10 pm
    Post #60 - October 16th, 2013, 6:10 pm Post #60 - October 16th, 2013, 6:10 pm
    Any updates since last year about previously mentioned restaurants along this route?

I did find one that I don't believe has been mentioned (or, rather, my brother found it and I stopped there on his recommendation last time I drove to Detroit): Arcadia Brewing. (And it appears that Pastrami Joe's in Battle Creek must have moved, because I saw it across the street from Arcadia.)

Small-batch, artisanal brewery. I can't really vouch for the beer, as I've never developed a taste for the stuff, but my brother is a serious beer aficionado (even blogs about it), and he was pleased, so I think I'm safe in mentioning it.

I was there to eat, as my brother said the sandwiches were great. I had their version of a Cuban sandwich -- which is pretty much just what a Cuban sandwich would be like if you were born in the Carolinas, with one Italian parent. Which is not to say it wasn't good -- it was -- just not what one expects: pulled pork (delicious and generous) on ciabatta, plus the ham and cheese. So great -- and huge -- just not really authentic. Service was friendly and price was quite reasonable ($9 for the sandwich, with coleslaw and potato chips, plus $2 for unlimited iced tea). Interior is cavernous and uses an amusing array of wood furniture scavenged from apparently everywhere to create a casual, fun ambiance -- with a view through large windows of the brewing operation. The rest of the menu looked interesting, and I'll certainly stop there on a future drive.

Arcadia Brewing Company
    103 West Michigan Avenue
    Battle Creek, MI 49017
    (269) 963-9690
    http://www.arcadiaales.com/
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close