LTH Home

Mexico City

Mexico City
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - October 11th, 2023, 12:00 pm
    Post #91 - October 11th, 2023, 12:00 pm Post #91 - October 11th, 2023, 12:00 pm
    Bill/SFNM wrote:I am now living full-time in CDMX. What a fantastic city - overwhelmed with all the amazing food adventures. I have been on a continuous taco crawl for the past year. I'm not sure how discerning I am since each taqueria seems better than the last. But I am addicted to "costra" tacos. El Califa is my goto spot since one of its locations is near where I live.

While there are better tacos in CDMX, sure, few are as enjoyable as the costras here. Been to the DF twice and it’s been my first stop each time.
  • Post #92 - October 11th, 2023, 12:40 pm
    Post #92 - October 11th, 2023, 12:40 pm Post #92 - October 11th, 2023, 12:40 pm
    chezbrad wrote:
    Bill/SFNM wrote:I am now living full-time in CDMX. What a fantastic city - overwhelmed with all the amazing food adventures. I have been on a continuous taco crawl for the past year. I'm not sure how discerning I am since each taqueria seems better than the last. But I am addicted to "costra" tacos. El Califa is my goto spot since one of its locations is near where I live.

While there are better tacos in CDMX, sure, few are as enjoyable as the costras here. Been to the DF twice and it’s been my first stop each time.

We were staying at the Four Seasons down the street and after we checked in we were looking for a quick lunch. I stopped at the concierge desk to ask for a casual lunch spot nearby and the two people behind the desk said "El Califa" in unison. Have eaten there every visit since.
  • Post #93 - October 11th, 2023, 8:34 pm
    Post #93 - October 11th, 2023, 8:34 pm Post #93 - October 11th, 2023, 8:34 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see some notes and pics of your culinary adventures.

Sure, I've got scads of photos, but I'm not sure I remember which places go with which photos. Here is one of the most memorable tacos from Carmela y Sal: Ancho Chile and Hoja Santa. Simple and exquisite appetizer.

Hmmm. Attaching photos not working for me.
  • Post #94 - October 12th, 2023, 5:49 am
    Post #94 - October 12th, 2023, 5:49 am Post #94 - October 12th, 2023, 5:49 am
    Apart from this forum, I was looking into other online sources too for Mexican Foods. I came across https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/travel/glob ... try-mexico and https://gowithguide.com/blog/mexico-tou ... -2023-5248 Looks like Tacos Al pastor, Enchildas, Tostadas, Mole are common ones. There you go, my bucket list is full for now. See you soon, Mexico, and will be updating my experience here later.
  • Post #95 - October 17th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Post #95 - October 17th, 2023, 7:20 pm Post #95 - October 17th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Huitlacoche was recently in season. Sauteed with a little epazote for pizza, quesadillas, crepes, etc.
  • Post #96 - October 18th, 2023, 10:07 am
    Post #96 - October 18th, 2023, 10:07 am Post #96 - October 18th, 2023, 10:07 am
    That is an outstanding picture of huitlacoche.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #97 - April 10th, 2024, 12:21 pm
    Post #97 - April 10th, 2024, 12:21 pm Post #97 - April 10th, 2024, 12:21 pm
    Just got back from another great visit to CDMX. Visited our usual favorites but also a new one - to us - Marmota, on Plaza Rio de Janeiro in Roma. This place is advertised as inspired by Puget Sound (the chef-owners lived in the Pacific Northwest). Food was creative and excellent and the cocktails were wonderful -(very complex/herbal). We overdid it by splitting most of the appetizers on the menu with our friends so we weren't up for any entrees but relented and ordered the rock cornish hen that the adjacent table was vigorously attacking. I rarely - if ever - order chicken dishes, but this was pretty wonderful. Very moist, nicely smoked and absolutely delicious. https://marmota.mx/
  • Post #98 - April 10th, 2024, 12:26 pm
    Post #98 - April 10th, 2024, 12:26 pm Post #98 - April 10th, 2024, 12:26 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Just got back from another great visit to CDMX. Visited our usual favorites but also a new one - to us - Marmota, on Plaza Rio de Janeiro in Roma. This place is advertised as inspired by Puget Sound (the chef-owners lived in the Pacific Northwest). Food was creative and excellent and the cocktails were wonderful -(very complex/herbal). We overdid it by splitting most of the appetizers on the menu with our friends so we weren't up for any entrees but relented and ordered the rock cornish hen that the adjacent table was vigorously attacking. I rarely - if ever - order chicken dishes, but this was pretty wonderful. Very moist, nicely smoked and absolutely delicious. https://marmota.mx/

What are your “usual favorites?” Thanks.
  • Post #99 - April 10th, 2024, 12:59 pm
    Post #99 - April 10th, 2024, 12:59 pm Post #99 - April 10th, 2024, 12:59 pm
    Bill/SFNM wrote:What are your “usual favorites?” Thanks.

Contramar, Maximo Bistrot, the above-mentioned El Califa for a casual bite. There are others but we didn't have much time (just a weekend visit).
  • Post #100 - April 10th, 2024, 1:18 pm
    Post #100 - April 10th, 2024, 1:18 pm Post #100 - April 10th, 2024, 1:18 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Bill/SFNM wrote:What are your “usual favorites?” Thanks.

Contramar, Maximo Bistrot, the above-mentioned El Califa for a casual bite. There are others but we didn't have much time (just a weekend visit).

Thanks. I agree those are great favorites. This is the best food city I have ever been in. I didn’t move here for the food (long, romantic story), but knowing what I know now, I wish I had moved here long ago. Exceptional food from every part of the world (except Chinese; I’d go on a rant, but I hope no one from LTHland would be tempted to eat Chinese food here. I'd like to know if I'm wrong.)
  • Post #101 - April 10th, 2024, 1:29 pm
    Post #101 - April 10th, 2024, 1:29 pm Post #101 - April 10th, 2024, 1:29 pm
    Bill/SFNM wrote:This is the best food city I have ever been in. I didn’t move here for the food (long, romantic story), but knowing what I know now, I wish I had moved here long ago. Exceptional food from every part of the world (except Chinese; I’d go on a rant, but I hope no one from LTHland would be tempted to eat Chinese food here. I'd like to know if I'm wrong.)

To be fair, I would have low expectations of Mexican food in China.
  • Post #102 - April 17th, 2024, 4:47 pm
    Post #102 - April 17th, 2024, 4:47 pm Post #102 - April 17th, 2024, 4:47 pm
    For my 40th birthday, my wife took me to Mexico City. Hit several museums, took a hot air balloon over the Pyramids, and all the other great touristy things that come with visiting a new city...but this is a food forum.

Hit several street food spots but didn't grab names nor pictures. On to what I did, though:

First meal was at Rosetta
    a lil' lovely cocktail to start
    House Bread with olive oil
    Mango with tamarind and herbs
    Beets with muscatel plum, radicchio and pink pepper
    Potato gnocchi with pumpkin seed pesto, chaya and hoja santa
    Pappardelle with chicken livers and sage
    Short rib with chile morita, plantains and hoja santa
    Stellar meal and that pappardelle is what dreams are made of. We decided to forgo dessert and walk our asses over to

Panadería Rosetta
    We hit Panadería Rosetta...4 times? Always a line out the door extending 30 feet
    Couldn't go a day without grabbing conchas and a hot chocolate

Those who know me know that I like to imbibe and I made sure to hit a cocktail joint every night

Handshake Speakeasy
    Welcome Nuts & Seeds

COFFEE FIZZ Siete Misterios Doba-Yej Mezcal - Coffee - Lemon - Whey
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN OAXACA Siete Misterios Doba-Yei Mezcal - Mint - Lemon - Absinthe - Whey
    CAPRESE Hendrick's Gin - Tomato - Basil - Citrus
    BUTTER MUSHROOM OLD FASHIONED Maker's Mark - Brown Butter - Mushroom - Maple
    SALT - N - PEPPER The Lost Explorer Espadin Mezcal - Strawberry - Yellow Bell Pepper Habanero
    Handshake is currently ranked #3 on The World's 50 Best Bars list and...yeah, I agree. I hadn't had this much fun drinking cocktails since, well, my visit to the #2 spot Double Chicken Please in NYC.

For our first dinner in Mexico City, we went to #9 on The World's 50 Best Restaurants list,

Quintonil
    Welcome glass of wine
    Mexican herbs chileatole and cuaresmeno pepper
    Butternut squash and tomato salad rice horchata and pumpkin seeds
    Aged kampachi aguachile de brassicas, wasabi iced powder, spring herbs
    Pibil duck tamal young corn cream
    Agua de Quintonil Espadin mezcal, agave honey, mandarin orange, lemon and worm salt
    Entomophagy festival Oyster mushrooms alambre with salsa macha and grasshopper chintexle, santanero beans from Oaxaca and confit onions; abalone homemade chorizo; salsa roja with jumiles and epazote; striped bass barbacoa in grasshopper adobo, grilled green beans, cauliflower cream, criollo corn tortillas from Santa Maria del Llano
    Braised oxtail in recado negro panucho, almond puree, red onion
    Cactus paddle sorbet
    Creme fraiche and melipona bee honey, physalis, caviar
    Mexican cornbread with rompope de nixtamal, vanilla from Cuetzalan, passion fruit
    They knew it was my birthday
    Mamey fruit panna cotta tartelette pixtle cream and lemon Tacho chocolate parfait, raspberry, olive and black garlic
    A truly incredible meal that I will not forget. After our meal, our server Angel asked if we would like to tour the kitchen and take a photo (taken by Angel)
    The attention to detail was astounding, as you would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. The menu we were provided after our meal was also the most spectacular I had ever seen:
    And taped on the back of our menu was a breakdown of when courses were fired, finished, mention of any allergies...Just incredible.

Apologies for the length of just our first day. I'll continue this in another post...

Rosetta
    Colima 166, Roma Nte., Cuauhtémoc, 06700 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525555337804

Panadería Rosetta
    Colima 179, Roma Nte., Cuauhtémoc, 06700 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525552072976

Handshake Speakeasy
    C. Amberes 65, Juárez, Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico

Quintonil
    Av. Isaac Newton 55, Polanco, Polanco IV Secc, Miguel Hidalgo, 11560 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525552802680
  • Post #103 - April 17th, 2024, 5:00 pm
    Post #103 - April 17th, 2024, 5:00 pm Post #103 - April 17th, 2024, 5:00 pm
    At Quintonil, did you get the farewell bag with the concha? Best concha I've ever had. Pretty sure it was made with a masa madre and only been out of the oven for minutes. I devoured mine while walking back to the car. Ending such an elevated meal with humble, delicate, sweet bread was a perfect end to one of the most perfect meals I've ever enjoyed. And one of the most expensive. :shock:

Will definitely return for the seasonal change of menu.
  • Post #104 - April 17th, 2024, 5:13 pm
    Post #104 - April 17th, 2024, 5:13 pm Post #104 - April 17th, 2024, 5:13 pm
    Bill/SFNM wrote:At Quintonil, did you get the farewell bag with the concha? Best concha I've ever had.

We did, but I was stuffed to the gills and erroneously waited until the following morning to eat mine. My wife who ate hers that night said it was fantastic, but there was no topping the Panadería Rosetta one for her.
  • Post #105 - April 17th, 2024, 8:33 pm
    Post #105 - April 17th, 2024, 8:33 pm Post #105 - April 17th, 2024, 8:33 pm
    I'm probably in the minority but didn't love Quintonil. I respected what they were doing but the dishes were pretty challenging when we were there. It was a lot of unfamiliar flavors - which was the point - but they were not all pleasant. I'm a fairly adventurous eater but this was a bit "out there" for me. I should try to go back , but there are just so many great options in CDMX.
  • Post #106 - April 19th, 2024, 3:59 pm
    Post #106 - April 19th, 2024, 3:59 pm Post #106 - April 19th, 2024, 3:59 pm
    Lunch on day two of our CDMX trip brought us to

Mari Gold
    Mari Gold is a husband & wife team that blends his (Saqib Keval) South Asian & East African background with her (Norma Listman) Mexican roots.

Michelada Mari Gold
    Sabudana Vada tapioca and potato fry herb chutney jalapeno sauce
    Special which I forgot to grab the name of :(
    Beef and Lamb burger with home made bun, berbere masala, wot sauce, garlic mayonnaise, lettuce, onion and jitomato.
    Dosa
    Really good meal.

For cocktails, we hit up
    Licorería Limantour

Dinner was at the excellent
    Maximo Bistrot which has been mentioned recently by spinynorman99.
    Roasted baby corn hollandaise, chives, parmesan
    Jamon Iberico & Pan con tomate
    Tagliatelle with oxtail ragout
    Ravioli stuffed with ricotta cheese, parmesan basil, pesto
    Beer braised Wagyu cross beef tongue "mole", organic beans
    Happy Birthday

Day three, some street food from the previous day did us both in and, after a hot air balloon ride over the Pyramids, we laid in bed writhing in pain the whole day. Really unfortunate as I had to cancel my reservations at Contramar for lunch and Pigeon for dinner.

Day four, we bounced back.

drinks at Hanky Panky where you're not allowed to take "professional" photos inside
    Entrance/Exit
    This is your holding room. You enter through the kitchen in back and to the right of this room. When you exit, you come out through the Indio refrigerator.
    Many of the drinks are based on cities around the world.
    Tiger Punch coconut-based milk punch made of Matusalem Gran Reserva 15, Amaretto Disaronno, Sriracha, black tea, black pepper, red pepper, cardamom, clove, curry, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger, lime & lemon.
    Guelaguetza Espadín, red pepper liquor and mole syrup.
    Red Not Chili Peppers Del Maguey Chichicapa mezcal, Maestro Dobel Diamante tequila, red bell pepper syrup, lime juice and coriander.

Dinner was at a Mediterranean spot that I really loved the look of called
    Taverna
    Cucumber salad fresh cheese and lacto fermented tomatoes
    Duck terrine pincho with tarragon
    Smoked seasonal veggies with parmesan
    Mostly mushrooms which was fine with me.
    Wild pork ribs smoked apple puree & potato salad
    Apparently, the cucumber salad that we ordered above is the usual side along with the smoked apple puree, but our server asked us if they could prepare something else.

After day four, we moved from our hotel in Roma to a hotel in historic downtown, which I'll continue in a final post.

Mari Gold
    Calle Gob.Protasio Tagle 66A, San Miguel Chapultepec II Secc, Miguel Hidalgo, 11850 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525537262228

Licorería Limantour
    Av. Álvaro Obregón 106, Roma Nte., Cuauhtémoc, 06700 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525552644122

Maximo Bistrot
    Av. Álvaro Obregón 65 Bis, Roma Nte., Cuauhtémoc, 06700 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525552644291

Hanky Panky
    Turín 52, Juárez, Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico

Taverna
    Calle Gral. Prim 34, Juárez, Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
    +525519457664

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more