LTH Home

TAC Quick Thai Language Menu Translation (2006)

TAC Quick Thai Language Menu Translation (2006)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:41 am
    Post #31 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:41 am Post #31 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:41 am
    To answer a few posters questions about Check Please!, the person who did all the talking about Tac Quick on the show was the primary owner, Itti (formerly of Banana Leaf on Southport). He also created the art work in the restaurant and designed the restaurant, being an architect. Andy is the chef and partial owner, assisted by his sous chef Domingo.
    I have known Andy and Itti for many years and love Andy's food.
    I was a little disappointed to hear the people on Check Please! constantly harp about a "secret menu." You do kinda have to ask for the translated Thai menu (thank you Erik M.) but it is not "secret." True, many ethnic restuarants have menus like these. Any foodie would know, or at least suspect, that a "secret menu" might exist and would ask for it. I agree with a point a previous poster brought up; I think the average pad thai seeking eater would not be interested in most of the items on the authentic Thai menu, so they don't even offer it, but, IMHO that is where some of the best food is.
    Solution? IDK. I know that the items on the translated Thai menu take much longer to prepare and there just isn't enough time, or chefs at Tac Quick, to crank out item after item from that menu on a busy night. Not that there is anything wrong with any of the items on the "regular menu." It is all great food.
  • Post #32 - October 24th, 2008, 9:33 am
    Post #32 - October 24th, 2008, 9:33 am Post #32 - October 24th, 2008, 9:33 am
    Domingo? Doesn't sound Thai to me - Mexican?
    Life Is Too Short To Not Play With Your Food
    My Blog: http://funplayingwithfood.blogspot.com
  • Post #33 - October 24th, 2008, 10:32 am
    Post #33 - October 24th, 2008, 10:32 am Post #33 - October 24th, 2008, 10:32 am

This would be a good banner quote on Surreal Day.
  • Post #34 - October 24th, 2008, 12:16 pm
    Post #34 - October 24th, 2008, 12:16 pm Post #34 - October 24th, 2008, 12:16 pm
    Santander wrote:

This would be a good banner quote on Surreal Day.

Or on a Sunday, perhaps. :wink:

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #35 - October 24th, 2008, 12:32 pm
    Post #35 - October 24th, 2008, 12:32 pm Post #35 - October 24th, 2008, 12:32 pm
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #36 - October 24th, 2008, 1:27 pm
    Post #36 - October 24th, 2008, 1:27 pm Post #36 - October 24th, 2008, 1:27 pm
    Doesn't sound like someone who has (or should have) a law degree.
  • Post #37 - October 24th, 2008, 2:13 pm
    Post #37 - October 24th, 2008, 2:13 pm Post #37 - October 24th, 2008, 2:13 pm
    JeffB wrote:Doesn't sound like someone who has (or should have) a law degree.

What's your problem? I think its kinda cool seeing Anthony Bourdain's observation that most cooks in most US restaurants are from South of the Border is correct, even in Asian restaurants. I'm not insulting the guy (I had a great meal there, btw), but you just insulted me. :roll:
  • Post #38 - October 24th, 2008, 3:42 pm
    Post #38 - October 24th, 2008, 3:42 pm Post #38 - October 24th, 2008, 3:42 pm
    Sorry. I took you to be making some kind of loaded assumption about ethnicity, race, and/or nationality. Sounded to me like something Archie Bunker might say. "Domingo" is a name that anyone from dozens of countries could have -- including Thailand. What about Andy? Must be Polish? Also, there's a long history of intermittent posts asserting that only people from background X can or should be cooking X-style food. As someone whose extended family largely is from "South of the Border", I might be overly sensitive.

But I take it now that you didn't mean it either way, and you were being utterly literal.

Look at the other comments. They are less blunt but appear to reflect the same misunderstanding or at least bemusement.

Everyday, people misunderstand or misspeak. One or the other or both probably happened here. Please don't be insulted.

More important, misunderstanding or not, the present post, my response and your original comments are irrelevant to this thread and should probably be removed.
  • Post #39 - October 24th, 2008, 4:24 pm
    Post #39 - October 24th, 2008, 4:24 pm Post #39 - October 24th, 2008, 4:24 pm
    JeffB wrote:More important, misunderstanding or not, the present post, my response and your original comments are irrelevant to this thread and should probably be removed.

Or extended over three more pages!
  • Post #40 - October 24th, 2008, 6:04 pm
    Post #40 - October 24th, 2008, 6:04 pm Post #40 - October 24th, 2008, 6:04 pm
    JeffB wrote:Sorry. I took you to be making some kind of loaded assumption about ethnicity, race, and/or nationality. Sounded to me like something Archie Bunker might say. "Domingo" is a name that anyone from dozens of countries could have -- including Thailand. What about Andy? Must be Polish? Also, there's a long history of intermittent posts asserting that only people from background X can or should be cooking X-style food. As someone whose extended family largely is from "South of the Border", I might be overly sensitive.

But I take it now that you didn't mean it either way, and you were being utterly literal.

Look at the other comments. They are less blunt but appear to reflect the same misunderstanding or at least bemusement.

Everyday, people misunderstand or misspeak. One or the other or both probably happened here. Please don't be insulted.

More important, misunderstanding or not, the present post, my response and your original comments are irrelevant to this thread and should probably be removed.

Fair enough. Let's move on. :)
  • Post #41 - October 24th, 2008, 6:26 pm
    Post #41 - October 24th, 2008, 6:26 pm Post #41 - October 24th, 2008, 6:26 pm
    :(

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more