LTH Home

Northwest Indiana Food

Northwest Indiana Food
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 14
  • Post #61 - November 14th, 2008, 11:13 pm
    Post #61 - November 14th, 2008, 11:13 pm Post #61 - November 14th, 2008, 11:13 pm
    Da Beef,

I'm tickled you are enjoying the wonders of NWI as much as I have over the last few years. I noticed you didn't mention the name of the place that serves both tamales and pierogies. I'm hoping to get over there for a full day of touring sometime soon. I'd love to follow in your footsteps to that place.

All the best,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #62 - November 15th, 2008, 7:40 am
    Post #62 - November 15th, 2008, 7:40 am Post #62 - November 15th, 2008, 7:40 am
    You know, I've lived here all my life and I have trouble remembering which "John's Pizza" are the real ones and which are the cheap imitations. Does anyone have a list?
  • Post #63 - November 15th, 2008, 8:08 am
    Post #63 - November 15th, 2008, 8:08 am Post #63 - November 15th, 2008, 8:08 am
    Hi,

THE John's was the Calumet City location that closed.

To really settle on this, there is a need to do a Johns=athon. Go to each of the Johns restaurants and take-outs to evaluate them.

At Pierogi Fest 2007, there was a John's Restaurant booth for a restaurant not yet opened. We learned they were a franchisee of the John's on Ridge Road, which some recognize as closest in pedigree to Calumet City. When John's Restaurant opened, Rene G and I went to the restaurant AND the Ridge Road location. We really liked the Restaurant version, though not the salad, and the Ridge Road was not quite as good.

John's Pizzeria
    247 Ridge Rd, Munster, IN
    (219) 836-8536

John's Restaurant
    2356 Schrage
    Whiting, IN
    (219)659-1046

There is more discussion on John's Pizza on LTH.

We really need to do a John's-athon to try all these places in one day to do a comparative to each other and against what was once the gold standard of Calumet City in our minds.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #64 - November 15th, 2008, 9:10 am
    Post #64 - November 15th, 2008, 9:10 am Post #64 - November 15th, 2008, 9:10 am
    I was stroling through this thread and felt the need to mention that Three Floyds has changed enormously. A new chef has completely changed the menu - even, to my eternal anguish, messing around with the burger, which is now ground with onions, which I loathe. I believe the only thing left unchanged was the fish and chips. I could theoretically like the menu at another place, but I feel that some of the fancier fare is out of place for a brewpub as it de-emphasizes the beer; I also really, really miss that burger... and that four-cheese dip... and the pizzas.... So if you're a regular and up for some adventure, try it out; but those of you who've never been before, now you know what to expect.

It used to be absolute top-of-the-line pub food; it is now middle-ground cafe food. The beer is still great.
  • Post #65 - November 15th, 2008, 6:29 pm
    Post #65 - November 15th, 2008, 6:29 pm Post #65 - November 15th, 2008, 6:29 pm
    Hi,

I was on the edge of driving to Three Floyds this afternoon. My chief objective was to learn what happened under the guidance of a 'real chef.'

Last summer, Rene G and I met Dr. Floyd, a retired urologist, who underwrote Three Floyds and who maintains the large garden in the rear. He explained Three Floyds is named after himself, his son the brewmaster and his other son who is a chef. The Chef son consulted on the original menu, though he works at another restaurant in Munster. I made a point of telling Dr. Floyd the food in the pub was far better than it needed to be. The beer is the main attraction and certainly they could have delivered a weaker performance food-wise and gotten away with it. He was very pleased to hear this. I then offered the Scotch egg had tasted better on earlier visits. He said the kitchen had changed the sausage without advising him, he suggested we come back in a month for an improved Scotch Egg. In retrospect, I think he was vaguely hinting there would be a change in kitchen. He also said they had a BBQ pit, which they hoped to put into action.

Someone else had also stated the food was not quite up to par. I'm really sorry to hear this. While the original kitchen put on the brewmaster's dinner last summer, where there were some misses on the pairing. Probably the most illustrative was pairing a Trifle dessert with Dark Lord beer, that has a dark, heavy, syrupy texture that reminded me of Balsamic vinegar. We bumped into Mindy Segal who thought Dark Lord would have been better paired with a chocolate dessert or at least something with some acid.

Hope to get there soon, though I already sense I will be just as disapointed as yourself.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #66 - November 16th, 2008, 8:35 am
    Post #66 - November 16th, 2008, 8:35 am Post #66 - November 16th, 2008, 8:35 am
    When MincyBits and I were there last, I think I noticed that the Scotch Egg had been removed from menu, along with the many other things mentioned above.
  • Post #67 - November 16th, 2008, 11:21 am
    Post #67 - November 16th, 2008, 11:21 am Post #67 - November 16th, 2008, 11:21 am
    Llama wrote:When MincyBits and I were there last, I think I noticed that the Scotch Egg had been removed from menu, along with the many other things mentioned above.

I wonder where Dr. Floyd stands on that missing item. He was especially proud of the Scotch Egg as typical bar food from his UK homeland. We commented it was also very reasonably priced at a few dollars as opposed to $7 and up at other places.

I wonder if this is a runaway situation like Candlelite. There the new chef went overboard bringing in his new ideas that customer favored crispy cracker crust pizzas went out the door.

Didn't Goose Island customer's have issues with the new menu, which management eventually rescinded? Could it be this chef migrated to Three Floyds? (It is just a random thought)

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #68 - November 17th, 2008, 7:50 pm
    Post #68 - November 17th, 2008, 7:50 pm Post #68 - November 17th, 2008, 7:50 pm
    I must correct my dear Llama; the Scotch Egg is most certainly back on the menu after a brief absence - likely clearing up the quality issue you mentioned.

I will go back for the beer, but the amazing pub food really made the evening for me. I felt a lack of warmth in the new fare. I'll still spend obscene amounts of Llama's money at Dark Lord Day, but it's no longer something to look forward to every month or so when we're in the area.
  • Post #69 - November 18th, 2008, 7:49 pm
    Post #69 - November 18th, 2008, 7:49 pm Post #69 - November 18th, 2008, 7:49 pm
    Cogito,

Where is The Lure?

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #70 - November 18th, 2008, 11:06 pm
    Post #70 - November 18th, 2008, 11:06 pm Post #70 - November 18th, 2008, 11:06 pm
    Here's The Lure on 5th Avenue in Gary from a couple years ago.

I assume it's the one in Portage people are talking about. Or is there another?

The Lure
    6401 Melton Rd
    Portage IN
    219-762-1565

If anyone needs to look at more of Lincoln's sandwiches, including the amusing Michigan Red Hot, there's a Lincoln's O thread here.
  • Post #71 - December 14th, 2008, 1:39 am
    Post #71 - December 14th, 2008, 1:39 am Post #71 - December 14th, 2008, 1:39 am
    Update on Three Floyd's - They have stopped packing the ground meat for their burgers full of onions (which, as an onion hater, I am glad for) Sadly, they are still nowhere as good as they used to be before the menu redo. The beef is advertised by the menu to be "hand-packed", which doesn't really do much for the appearance or texture, by my opinion. The meat is ground too fine and the meat ends up being too dry (compounded by the fact that they always seem to over-cook it) they'd be much better off going back to buying from Farm Direct Meat.

They do, in fact, have the Scotch Egg. I must have just glanced over it the last time I was there.
  • Post #72 - December 14th, 2008, 11:04 am
    Post #72 - December 14th, 2008, 11:04 am Post #72 - December 14th, 2008, 11:04 am
    Hi Llama and MincyBits,

Rene G and I tried the Scotch Egg at Three Floyds a few weeks ago, which was much better than one had last summer that was rather gamey.

According to the server, Steak and Frites on the menu is now Steak and Fries. The (seasoned) fries we had with the made on the premises pork tenderloin sandwich were pretty good. The server was quized to make sure the the pork tenderloin was pounded fresh and not fresh-from-the-freezer. I felt much better ordering it once he claimed to personally witness the kitchen beating the tenderloins flat.

While there are changes to the menu, we thought the food's execution had not suffered. We didn't have a hamburger. We never tried the fondly missed cheese dip. Comparing our occasional visits to our last, we don't feel the changes as much you both do. Personally I was glad, because I really do like visiting Three Floyds.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #73 - December 15th, 2008, 2:26 am
    Post #73 - December 15th, 2008, 2:26 am Post #73 - December 15th, 2008, 2:26 am
    For the past couple years Cathy2 and I have been systematically exploring the restaurants of Northwest Indiana. Here are some miscellaneous comments on places that have been discussed already.

DunesDude wrote:Taco Real (Motto: Dedicated to Stamping Out Gringo Food)
    935 E Hoffman St
    Hammond, IN 46327-1838
    (219) 932-8333

Ordinarily I wouldn't make such a negative post on a place I visited only once. I would simply ignore them but for their ridiculous and irritating motto: "Dedicated to Stamping Out Gringo Food." It's been a long time since I encountered such dumbed-down, gringo-ized chow. The matched pair of Mary Kay pink Cadillacs in the parking lot should have been warning enough.

I won't go through the meal in detail but almost everything—from the dish of warm tomato puree masquerading as salsa, to tacos stuffed with dry chicken, lettuce and tomato, to enchiladas buried in gloppy cheese—was as bland as could be. Only the soupy beans (frijoles borrachos, a weekend special) and tamal (pretty standard, actually) were at all tolerable. The pozole was especially heinous. Sitting in the bland tomato broth was a big hunk of pork, the driest most flavorless piece of meat I can recall.

I found this meal extremely depressing, even more so because of the line out the door. Portions were ample, service was very good and the bathroom was clean.

DunesDude wrote:Oh, someone said the place/grocery across the street is better than Taco Real - confirmed. Very good and cheaper and better salsa.

No contest, Taqueria El Asador is in a different universe than Taco Real. And it seems we're not alone in liking the place.

I found their chilaquiles among the better versions I've had anywhere.

Taqueria El Asador
    922 E Hoffman St
    Hammond IN
    219-937-4759

DunesDude wrote:Cavalier Inn
    735 Gostlin St, Hammond, Indiana 46327-1418,

Same Exit, Calumet Ave., Southbound, West on Gostlin, has its own lot.

Restaurant is open to 8. I think it is only a Friday Fish Fry. Family bar in front usually has three generations of the owner's family. Relaxed place to eat and have a beer.

The pierogie are great yummy starchy goodness. The Potato Pancakes or "Latkes" are also wonderful carb. parties. They offer perch and other kinds of fish on Friday. Me and my friend from South Bend had one of each and washed these down with Old Style and had a great time. Nothing fancy but a real Polish American treat for those who enjoy this food. It is across the street from a 1950s roller rink that is still open. The area of Southeast Chicago/Northwest Indiana is one of the centers of Polish-American population (must larger when the US Steel South Works and other steel mills were busy) in the United States.

Based on only a single visit, I'm a huge fan of Cavalier Inn. An unpretentious friendly place with good homemade food. We only tried the pierogi plate (preceded by a plate of cottage cheese, cole slaw and kidney bean salad) and thought they were terrific. The fillings—cheese, potato and sauerkraut—are all top notch and each variety is identified by its own distinctive crimping.

The bar's jukebox is particularly rich in Lil Wally tunes: Hot Tamale Polka, Ta-Ra-Ra Boom Tiay, God Bless Our Polish Pope and many more.

Cavalier Inn
    735 Gostlin St (just west of Calumet)
    Hammond IN
    219-933-9314

thefrugalfoodie wrote:Memo's, Highland IN - Homemade tacos are the best in the Region.

That's good to hear. In another thread we had a discussion of its sibling, Taco Mex in South Deering (good place!). I look forward to trying Memo's.

Memo's Taco Mex
    2128 45th St
    Highland IN
    219-934-7300

Cogito wrote:What about Freddy's Steak House on 165th & Kennedy Ave.? When I lived in Hammond I used to go there at least once every month or two. They had awesome prime rib, Porterhouse steaks, and seafood at quite reasonable prices. Their "Freddy's Special Steak" (I dunno what cut it is) was a damn bargain and a half; huge, cheap, and good. The Greek salad, baked potatoes, and soups were always spot on. The decor was kind of corny, but if it keeps the pricing down I could care less. All-in-all, I always felt it was a good bang for the buck and rarely disappointed. I was last there about 5 years ago, and had a huge Porterhouse that practically melted in my mouth.

Freddy's Steak House
    6442 Kennedy Ave
    Hammond, IN 46323
    (219) 844-1500

[quote=quote]Freddy's Steak House is an interesting place. The decor is corny because it's barely changed in 50 years...it's like walking into a time machine. It has great food at reasonable prices, and quality entertainment on the weekends. But it is NOT a place to go if cigarette smoke bothers you.

Has anyone eaten at Freddy's recently, say, in the last year? In the past couple months, sitting at bars in Hammond and Flossmoor, I've heard vastly different opinions of the food.

DunesDude wrote:Piatak Meats
    6200 Broadway
    Merrillville IN
    219-980-3520

I like this old fashioned butcher shop a lot and always look forward to stocking up on fairly priced sausages especially their "Spanish sausage."

jones-n wrote:In fact there will be an announcement on the Event's site within the next week of a pending John's tasting of all the NWI locations. I hope you will join us.

Cathy2 did you ever make it to John's Pizza? I talked to the owner of the Munster store and he said the other stores are not affiliated with the original from Cal City. He said they are putting a John's in Whiting on Indianapolis Blvd but it is on the far eastern edge right next to BP Amoco.

Believe it or not, the John's-a-Thon might finally take place in early 2009. There's a discussion of John's, including the newest (authentic) one in Whiting, in this other thread.

KMAC wrote:Whenever I return to NW Indiana, I always make my first stop at Koney King at 46th & Broadway in the Glen Park area of Gary. It is by far my favorite junk food stop. The Koney Dog (chili w/o beans) is the bomb.

Agreed. I'm rather fond of Koney King but can see why not everyone understands its charms.

KMAC wrote:My last pick is Miner Dunn (MD) located on Indianapolis Blvd in Highland, IN. I discovered MD while going to Purdue Calumet in the early 80's. Not sure how I came upon it, but I discovered the Cheese Supreme hamburger which I have on grilled whole wheat bread with ketchup only. Now understand, I love all kinds of junk on burgers but this combination is wonderful. I forgot to mention to make that deluxe which includes fries and an orange sherbet finish. However, you must substitute Onion Rings for the fries as they are the best, I repeat, THE BEST onion rings I have ever had. The orange sherbet is so refreshing.

There are plenty of good burgers in NWI but I think Miner-Dunn's may be my favorite. They're awfully close in style to Schoop's. While eating at an otherwise forgettable soul food restaurant on Chicago's far south side I noticed this nice old china.

MincyBits wrote:I was stroling through this thread and felt the need to mention that Three Floyds has changed enormously. A new chef has completely changed the menu - even, to my eternal anguish, messing around with the burger, which is now ground with onions, which I loathe. I believe the only thing left unchanged was the fish and chips. I could theoretically like the menu at another place, but I feel that some of the fancier fare is out of place for a brewpub as it de-emphasizes the beer; I also really, really miss that burger... and that four-cheese dip... and the pizzas.... So if you're a regular and up for some adventure, try it out; but those of you who've never been before, now you know what to expect.

It used to be absolute top-of-the-line pub food; it is now middle-ground cafe food. The beer is still great.

Three Floyds Brewpub is a favorite of mine so your report had me very apprehensive. I appreciate your devotion to the menu and your worries about tampering with it but based on a single visit since the new chef I'm not nearly as negative as you. From the look of the printed menu it seems not to be a final work; I wouldn't be surprised if comments might be acted upon.

We found the Scotch egg, though maybe not as good as a couple years ago, better than it's been recently. We also tried the schnitzel sandwich, the new incarnation of The Chancellor. I actually liked this better than before (and it was a nice sandwich then). The breading is crispier (panko?), the red cabbage isn't as sweet though the out-of-season tomato doesn't add a whole lot. Surprisingly the prices of the egg ($3) and sandwich ($8 including excellent fries) are at March 2007 levels. Your comments still concern me but I'm cautiously optimistic about my next visit (fingers crossed).

I'll echo your "beer is still great" comment. These guys are hops masters. In the upper ranges of IBUs, I enjoyed Apocalypse Cow (new to me) and Dreadnaught then followed it with Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA, one of the guest draughts. The latter, while an excellent beer, tasted dull and amateurish in comparison. Beer lovers who haven't gone to the source have a treat in store.

Three Floyds Brewpub
    9570 Indiana Pkwy (just SE of 45th and Calumet)
    can be hard to find; take Superior west off Calumet (Route 41)
    Munster IN
    219-922-4425

llama wrote:Update on Three Floyd's - They have stopped packing the ground meat for their burgers full of onions (which, as an onion hater, I am glad for) Sadly, they are still nowhere as good as they used to be before the menu redo. The beef is advertised by the menu to be "hand-packed", which doesn't really do much for the appearance or texture, by my opinion. The meat is ground too fine and the meat ends up being too dry (compounded by the fact that they always seem to over-cook it) they'd be much better off going back to buying from [url=http://www.farmdirectmeat.com/]Farm Direct Meat[/url.

I guess that's partly good news. I'm mildly disappointed to see it listed as a mere cheeseburger now (it used to be the Royale with Cheese) and that there's no longer a Munster option. The cheese wasn't all that great but when in Munster. . .

Da Beef wrote:The Lure Hamburgers
    Gary, IN
    ????????????????

The Lure has been around since 1959. There were once five scattered around northwest Indiana but only a single store in Portage remains (a shell of one sits abandoned in Gary). For me the best thing about The Lure is the sign.

The menu is pretty much standard fast food. We ordered a roast beef sandwich and a Big Lure. The roast beef was fresh sliced but in spite of its pinkish hue wasn't much better than Arby's. The Big Lure wasn't terribly alluring with its pre-fab griddled patty, lousy lettuce and tomato, and abundant mayonnaise. Prices seemed a little high given the quality, quantity and location. A bit west of The Lure is Shrimp-A-Licious, possibly worth a try, if only for its name.

The Lure
    6401 Melton Rd (US-20)
    Portage IN
    219-762-1565

[quote=quote]Boz was originally called Bozo hot dogs...but as one might imagine, a lawsuit forced them to change their name. Their logo still reflects the original name if you look closely. I haven't been to one in years so I can't comment on the quality of their dogs.

As the woman behind the counter explained, "The Clown wanted money." I don't think you have to look too closely at the new logo; in fact my impression is that most people still call it Bozo's.

Boz's hot dogs are nothing special at all. The sausages are miserable cheap skinless things. Condiments are okay but note they use fresh cucumbers instead of pickles. I can't imagine anyone visiting Boz(o)'s from Chicago.

ronnie_suburban wrote:Lisa Futterman discovers the home-style pies from Marilyn's Bakery (Hobart, IN) at the Lincoln Square Market.

Even though I'm not a huge bakery fan, I was surprised how much I liked this place. Their pies look especially good and most are under $10.

Marilyn's Bakery
    8960 E Ridge Rd (US-6)
    Hobart IN
    219-962-BAKE

Cogito wrote:My current favorite spot in NWI for this style of pizza is JJ's Pizza Shack in Lake Station. They have satellite shops in a few other locations including Hobart, Valpo, and Merrillville.

The sausage at J&J is really quite good (I've come to like the NWI loosemeat style more and more) but the crust and especially the cheese could use some work. This pizza probably tasted better than it looks but in my opinion it doesn't come close to John's in Whiting, my favorite NWI pizza.

J&J's Pizza Shack
    3146 Central Av
    Lake Station IN
    219-962-1666
    Sun-Thu 11am-midnight, Fri-Sat 11am-1am
    also in Valparaiso, Portage, Hobart, Roselawn and Michigan City

Mikey wrote:I get Beef's at this place in Hammond from time to time.
    Good housemade beef, but more Eastern Europeon than Itallian.
    Super Submarine
    (219) 845-6705
    7010 Kennedy Ave, Hammond, IN 46323

Interesting spot. There seemed to be some real cooking going on and the place smelled terrific. Italian beef was rather underseasoned (Eastern European style?) compounded by flavorless sweet peppers but the pickles helped a lot. I wonder how the hot peppers are. Huge serving, reasonable price, nice people. I'd try it again.

Super Submarine Sandwich of Hammond
    7010 Kennedy Av
    Hammond IN
    219-845-6705
    Mon-Sat 10am-6:30pm

dbrick59 wrote:In Hammond on indianapolis boulevard you can fid House of pizza. Excellent thin crust pizza. preety full menu and a well stocked bar. I highly recommend it.

I always liked House of Pizza's odd sign and was disappointed to see it replaced not long ago. We stopped for a pizza and found it good, not great. I didn't care for the flaky, brittle crust.

I still think John's in Whiting is tops for that style. On our way out the owner mentioned they're known for chicken, something definitely on the list now. Recently, Llama mentioned Tuesday's all-you-can-eat chicken and pizza at Dante's House of Pizza in Munster.

House of Pizza
    7008 Indianapolis Blvd
    Hammond IN
    219-844-4141
  • Post #74 - December 15th, 2008, 11:50 am
    Post #74 - December 15th, 2008, 11:50 am Post #74 - December 15th, 2008, 11:50 am
    I have purchased the pies from Marilyn's Bakery at the Frankfort Farmer's Market. It is m y understanding that they were also participating in the winter market, although I'm not sure how long that runs and it may be done by now.

For those watching sugar intake, the no sugar added pies are very, very good. I think they are using Splenda in place of the sugar.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #75 - December 15th, 2008, 11:54 am
    Post #75 - December 15th, 2008, 11:54 am Post #75 - December 15th, 2008, 11:54 am
    sdritz wrote:I think they are using Splenda in place of the sugar.

I believe they use aspartame (Nutra-sweet)

Not that it matters much. They're still delicious.
  • Post #76 - December 15th, 2008, 11:19 pm
    Post #76 - December 15th, 2008, 11:19 pm Post #76 - December 15th, 2008, 11:19 pm
    Cavalier Inn

The name seems a bit out of place for a Polish-American bar and restaurant. When the name was chosen in the 1950's, it was to evoke a club for gentlemen to congregate. I purposefully did not state gentlemen's club because it was not the original intent. Cavalier in Polish does not suggest sword fights, either, though the decor has certainly shifted into something suggesting an homage to the Three Musketeers.

The founder's wife and the current owner's Mother and her friends work every Tuesday and Wednesday after the kitchen closes to make pierogi deep into the night. To get the freshest pierogi, one should consider visiting on Thursday.

We ordered only one plate of pierogi between us. Nonetheless they served a complimentary relish platter of three salads, which they really didn't have to do. The owner and his buddy were tending bar and keeping their fingers in all the conversations surrounding them. They were very kind to answer all my questions related to their food preparation as well as competing restaurants.

J&J's Pizza Shack

The challenge to eat their large deep dish pizza has not yet been won by anyone. The closest anyone came quit within 1-2 slices away from the title. That is really quite spectacular because there are numerous people who have conquered the 4-pound hamburger called the Ethyl. Even more who have eaten the intensely hot chili at Joe Rogers in Springfield making it seem like child's play with legions of conquerers. To finish eating a J&J's pizza is the Mount Everest of competitive eating at least in our region.

House of Pizza

According to the waitress, there are two menu items they are well known for: their chicken and their pizza. It is my recollection she said the old signage with the funny pointless balls were supposed to suggest the chicken they served. In NWI, there is a lot of 40-year-old signage, especially Norge washing machine balls, that are either still in use, broken & abandoned, or retooled. It is entirely possible those balls once really looked like chickens. The shack looking structure with the pizza chef smiling was maybe once a chicken coop. My mind's eye is challenged to see it, though the waitress assured us this was true.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #77 - December 16th, 2008, 12:24 am
    Post #77 - December 16th, 2008, 12:24 am Post #77 - December 16th, 2008, 12:24 am
    "The sausage at J&J is really quite good (I've come to like the NWI loosemeat style more and more) but the crust and especially the cheese could use some work. This pizza probably tasted better than it looks but in my opinion it doesn't come close to John's in Whiting, my favorite NWI pizza."

Great post ReneG! I should have mentioned that I always opt for "well done and thick crust" when I get pizzas at J&Js. They brown the cheese and the crust is not really thick but does improve the pizza IMO.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #78 - December 17th, 2008, 7:44 pm
    Post #78 - December 17th, 2008, 7:44 pm Post #78 - December 17th, 2008, 7:44 pm
    Thanks so much for the information. I'll need to give a couple of these places a try.
  • Post #79 - January 18th, 2009, 6:17 am
    Post #79 - January 18th, 2009, 6:17 am Post #79 - January 18th, 2009, 6:17 am
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this site, but have lived in Hammond for most of my years. I was surprised to see the reviews for so many restauraunts that I have been to. I went to grade school across the street from Madveks and Dari Belle and know them very well. I have eaten at almost every retauraunt mentioned here and a few that have fallen by the wayside. (The original Quickee Snax in downtown Hammond, Hot Dog John's in East Chicago, Indiana Red Hots in Whiting, Ventrella's in Hammond, Maid Rite in Hammond, The Golden Shell on the East Side and the Log in Glenwood.) I'm not a culinary expert, but my case of Dunlop's Disease shows that I like good food. I'm also a Kansas City Barbeque Society certified judge and judge competition BBQ contests around the Lake Michigan area.
    One place I tried to get to but never got in is Tobe's in Cedar Lake. I saw somewhere that they are now closed. Does anybody if that's true.
    Any way I hope to contribute a little to this forum as it has brought back a number of memories for me.
  • Post #80 - January 18th, 2009, 9:28 am
    Post #80 - January 18th, 2009, 9:28 am Post #80 - January 18th, 2009, 9:28 am
    Woodbutcher!

Welcome to LTHforum.

I had never heard of Dunlop's Disease, then looked it up: "When you have overwhelming belly fat preventing you from being able to witness your own genitals. Also known as your spare tire.

Now that I know, well, I guess you found a number of your kinfolk here.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #81 - January 18th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Post #81 - January 18th, 2009, 9:53 am Post #81 - January 18th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I had never heard of Dunlop's Disease, then looked it up: "When you have overwhelming belly fat preventing you from being able to witness your own genitals. Also known as your spare tire.

The term comes from the description of the symptom "my belly has dun lopped over my belt".
  • Post #82 - January 18th, 2009, 10:24 am
    Post #82 - January 18th, 2009, 10:24 am Post #82 - January 18th, 2009, 10:24 am
    Hi Woodbutcher68!

I know you from another world. Don't you hate it when world collide. :)

Welcome to LTH! We do have some good eats here.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #83 - January 18th, 2009, 10:28 am
    Post #83 - January 18th, 2009, 10:28 am Post #83 - January 18th, 2009, 10:28 am
    Artie wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I had never heard of Dunlop's Disease, then looked it up: "When you have overwhelming belly fat preventing you from being able to witness your own genitals. Also known as your spare tire.

The term comes from the description of the symptom "my belly has dun lopped over my belt".

Thank you for further clarification. Until you stated, 'dun lopped' I was associating this with Dunlop tires.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #84 - May 17th, 2009, 9:48 pm
    Post #84 - May 17th, 2009, 9:48 pm Post #84 - May 17th, 2009, 9:48 pm
    We've tried the Cavalier Inn on a couple of trips now, and really enjoyed their pierogi.

Since this is sort of the "official" NWI thread, I wanted to add our recommendation of Pita Kebab as a superior option to all the Bennigans and Red Robins around.

Pita Kabab
    837 Main St
    Schereville, IN 46375
    219-322-7006

(South of Meijer's, across from the Duke of Oil on Indianapolis Blvd.)
  • Post #85 - May 17th, 2009, 9:56 pm
    Post #85 - May 17th, 2009, 9:56 pm Post #85 - May 17th, 2009, 9:56 pm
    Hi,

I've now seen Pita Kabab in passing and hope to get to it soon.

Several of us were at Cavalier Inn maybe 6 weeks ago. In an effort to try a range of food, we ordered some fried chicken livers and onions. Those livers and pierogi are tops in what I will order the next time we go.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #86 - May 18th, 2009, 6:35 am
    Post #86 - May 18th, 2009, 6:35 am Post #86 - May 18th, 2009, 6:35 am
    I was just talking with my uncle the other day about the Cavalier's fantastic pierogi. They're cooked in butter and browned on the outside - I'm drooling a little just thinking about it.
  • Post #87 - July 14th, 2009, 10:00 am
    Post #87 - July 14th, 2009, 10:00 am Post #87 - July 14th, 2009, 10:00 am
    Kelsey's Steakhouse and Strong Bow's in Valparaiso are great options as well.
  • Post #88 - July 14th, 2009, 10:25 am
    Post #88 - July 14th, 2009, 10:25 am Post #88 - July 14th, 2009, 10:25 am
    YelirNY wrote:Kelsey's Steakhouse and Strong Bow's in Valparaiso are great options as well.

I believe the Kelsey's Steakhouse in Schererville is under a different owner than the ones located elsewhere. Perhaps a John's Pizza sort of story. I think MincyBits called and got the scoop once-upon-a-time.

Anyways, the Schererville location is the only one I have been to (and been there, I have! We go as often as my pocketbook allows). They have delicious and inexpensive steaks. In the past few years I have had one or two experiences that have been sub-par, and I can understand why some people might call Kelsey's hit-or-miss if they've only been there a couple times.

The waitresses are generally amenable to my requests for a LOT of garlic butter to drench my steak for what they call "Kelsey's Style". In my opinion, if more things were drenched in garlic butter, the world would be a better place.
  • Post #89 - July 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm
    Post #89 - July 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm Post #89 - July 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm
    HI,

STeak "Kelsey Style" is now on my short list of places to visit in NWI next time.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #90 - July 14th, 2009, 6:56 pm
    Post #90 - July 14th, 2009, 6:56 pm Post #90 - July 14th, 2009, 6:56 pm
    Have been around in NWI lately more than usual - done Miner-Dunn, and enjoyed it greatly, terrific place. Dont care *that* much for Schoops, though.

What my question is, is this... what is good and available in NWI *on a Sunday*? Ive been there a little too often on a Sunday lately (in Hammond, basically Calumet Avenue exit, first one on entering Indiana)... and Iam sort of at a loss to find places to go on Sunday evenings for a bite. This weekend I was reduced to skipping NWI entirely, and stopping for Jerk Chicken from Uncle Joe's in Chicago on the drive home... ok, it was quite excellent and no hardship, but still :-) Is NWI, like the southside, basically closed on Sunday evenings? (Or even for Sunday breakfast, maybe?)

c8w

• Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more