LTH Home

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 26
  • Post #31 - March 23rd, 2006, 5:41 pm
    Post #31 - March 23rd, 2006, 5:41 pm Post #31 - March 23rd, 2006, 5:41 pm
    gordon_k wrote:So far, everyone has been eating in. Do they do takeout entrees...? That is, in addition to the frozen stuff...?

=gordon=

Yes

In my two visits I've seen them package up a number of to go orders.

Flip
    "Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be Happy"
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #32 - March 24th, 2006, 11:16 am
    Post #32 - March 24th, 2006, 11:16 am Post #32 - March 24th, 2006, 11:16 am
    I've seen a number of to go orders as well but I wonder how the noodles will travel. I bet you could ask for the noodles in a separate container.
  • Post #33 - March 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm
    Post #33 - March 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm Post #33 - March 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm
    I've been going there for about 6 years now. Their food is excellent. Cold Sichuan Noodles are also very good. Make sure you tell them you can stand the heat (they tend to dial it down).

Cheers,
    Brian
  • Post #34 - March 25th, 2006, 3:53 pm
    Post #34 - March 25th, 2006, 3:53 pm Post #34 - March 25th, 2006, 3:53 pm
    Taking mom here tonight--does anyone know if they allow BYOB?
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #35 - March 25th, 2006, 7:28 pm
    Post #35 - March 25th, 2006, 7:28 pm Post #35 - March 25th, 2006, 7:28 pm
    HI,

We were at Katy's this afternoon. My friend Helen bought noodles-only to go. The owner advised her to cook them no longer than 2 minutes before incorporating them into a dish. She was planning to make her version of beef soup noodles.

I brought home leftover beef-noodle and beef-tendon noodle soup mixed together. I reheated them for my Dad who found them to be quite excellent. It would suggest the noodles seem to travel very well.

For our group of ten people, the cost of the meal was around $60., with very generous tip it came to $80. After we handed the owner-server the money, he was very puzzled by the extra money. He was questioning us why he had given him so much money. When we reminded him it was a tip, then he had a 1000 watt smile on his face. I asked him to remember our group because we'd be coming back. I'm so glad after all these years of Jeff's passing comments that Sazerac so kindly highlighted the richness of this place.

Afterwards we went over to International Plaza. While not exactly hungry, we did have bubble drinks of durian, papaya-coconut, mangoe, cafe au lait and such. At 3 PM it was not very crowded, certainly an excellent time to have a mass get together without the insanity of lunch time crowds.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #36 - March 25th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    Post #36 - March 25th, 2006, 8:57 pm Post #36 - March 25th, 2006, 8:57 pm
    I went there yesterday and had the beef tendon noodle soup. It was pretty good. I will be going back to try the other things.
  • Post #37 - March 25th, 2006, 10:43 pm
    Post #37 - March 25th, 2006, 10:43 pm Post #37 - March 25th, 2006, 10:43 pm
    Hey now, I posted specifically and enthusiastically about Katy's on the other board a long time ago. Sometimes the best intentioned recos get no traction for a while.

With that in mind, I repeat, again:

Westbrook Market Cass & 63rd

Chinese Kitchen Cass & 65th

Maybe not as special as Katy's, but I wouldn't steer you wrong.
  • Post #38 - March 26th, 2006, 9:55 am
    Post #38 - March 26th, 2006, 9:55 am Post #38 - March 26th, 2006, 9:55 am
    JeffB wrote:Hey now, I posted specifically and enthusiastically about Katy's on the other board a long time ago. Sometimes the best intentioned recos get no traction for a while.

Westbrook Market is my regular grocery store. It's the best in this area in my opinion. It has a wide international selection (East European, Mexican, Oriental, Indian), and the prices are usually lower than elsewhere. It seems to be very popular among the East European community in this area (Polish, Lithuanian).

I have been to a previous incarnation of Chinese Kitchen about 10 years ago (I think it was called Pro Wok or something at that time), but not recently. I will try it out.
  • Post #39 - March 26th, 2006, 10:09 am
    Post #39 - March 26th, 2006, 10:09 am Post #39 - March 26th, 2006, 10:09 am
    Hey now, I posted specifically and enthusiastically about Katy's on the other board a long time ago. Sometimes the best intentioned recos get no traction for a while.

Your good deed has finally reached critical mass. Thank you.

You know it is interesting how things got talked about long ago on the other board, then haven't been discussed ever since on LTH. For instance the blue and maroon vans, which was enthusiastically discussed several years ago. I thought they were gone, so I went out to check them out a few weeks ago. For me it was my first visit, but the total lack of discussion had led me to believe they no longer existed. Fortunately more talked out than gone. Great food!

Thank you once again for highlighting Katy's.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #40 - March 26th, 2006, 10:23 am
    Post #40 - March 26th, 2006, 10:23 am Post #40 - March 26th, 2006, 10:23 am
    There are a number of things that got talked out, I think, back in the day. Plus we lack a few of the people, like RST, who would dig into some of those subjects down to the microscopic level. (Unfortunate that we have a more receptive community than ever and no...) I was at Taqueria La Oaxaquena yesterday, everything was just damned good as ever, but who's talked about it lately? And what would I say that hasn't been said? Maybe someone else will go, now, and find something new to say.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #41 - March 26th, 2006, 6:52 pm
    Post #41 - March 26th, 2006, 6:52 pm Post #41 - March 26th, 2006, 6:52 pm
    JeffB wrote:Hey now, I posted specifically and enthusiastically about Katy's on the other board a long time ago. Sometimes the best intentioned recos get no traction for a while.

I think it's the pictures that do the trick. :)
  • Post #42 - March 26th, 2006, 7:11 pm
    Post #42 - March 26th, 2006, 7:11 pm Post #42 - March 26th, 2006, 7:11 pm
    I agree with that. But some new folks here might be interested to know that the glossy, photo-rich slideshows perfected by the likes of Sazerac, Antonius, Gary, Erik and Mike, to name a few, barely existed within very recent memory. I ain't complaining. Take my recos for what they're worth. This isn't a dating site, so you're not rolling the dice quite that much by following up. But I understand the parallel. The ladies are going to go with the neb with a photo over the "former model and brain surgeon" who fails to show the goods. One of these days I'm going to have to get me a camera.
  • Post #43 - March 26th, 2006, 9:41 pm
    Post #43 - March 26th, 2006, 9:41 pm Post #43 - March 26th, 2006, 9:41 pm
    Cathy2 - your Saturday's visit might have overlapped with my husband's visit. I had to work in Oakbrook, and hubby hung out in the area. When he called asking me about lunch while driving along Ogden, I told him that he must check out Katy's. If he had known your group was going for durian drinks, he would have been right along with you, and he can pack it in. He LOVES durian, a true Singaporean.

Singaporean husband loves soups and thoroughly enjoyed the dan-dan noodles. He commented that there was not a lot of meat, but I suggested that he buy extra meat for his order on his next visit.

I still haven't been there myself. But I'm getting more and more anxious to go with all these raves.
  • Post #44 - March 28th, 2006, 4:36 pm
    Post #44 - March 28th, 2006, 4:36 pm Post #44 - March 28th, 2006, 4:36 pm
    Since my first visit to Katy's was last week after reading the initial post I can't be positive, but my visit yesterday points me to one possible conclusion. Is there an LTH effect?

Yesterday I went to visit Katy's for the third time, the first for a coworker of mine. We arrived around 12:45 and the place was packed. Not being able to find a seat, and only having 45 minutes left for lunch we made the poor decision to dine at Mai Tai at the end of the same strip mall. On my previous visits they've always done a good business, but this was crazy! Not only were they busy, but from what I saw, unlike in the past, most fo the patrons were not asian. This was another first from my experiences at Katy's.

Has anyone else experienced this at Katy's or any other restaurant?

Flip
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #45 - March 28th, 2006, 5:11 pm
    Post #45 - March 28th, 2006, 5:11 pm Post #45 - March 28th, 2006, 5:11 pm
    Flip wrote:Since my first visit to Katy's was last week after reading the initial post I can't be positive, but my visit yesterday points me to one possible conclusion. Is there an LTH effect?

Yesterday I went to visit Katy's for the third time, the first for a coworker of mine. We arrived around 12:45 and the place was packed. Not being able to find a seat, and only having 45 minutes left for lunch we made the poor decision to dine at Mai Tai at the end of the same strip mall. On my previous visits they've always done a good business, but this was crazy! Not only were they busy, but from what I saw, unlike in the past, most fo the patrons were not asian. This was another first from my experiences at Katy's.

Has anyone else experienced this at Katy's or any other restaurant?

Flip

I was there around 8.00pm last night, and there was no one else other than me the entire time. So they started closing up after I left at around 8.40 or so.
  • Post #46 - March 28th, 2006, 10:26 pm
    Post #46 - March 28th, 2006, 10:26 pm Post #46 - March 28th, 2006, 10:26 pm
    We were there on Saturday night around 8pm and we were the only table there by the time our food arrived. The people who were there when we arrived all seemed to be long-time regulars.

On the other hand, there MUST be an LTH effect, just based on the number of posters here who have gone there after reading Sazerac's/Jeff B's posts, including myself. (Twice in one week!)
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #47 - March 28th, 2006, 11:22 pm
    Post #47 - March 28th, 2006, 11:22 pm Post #47 - March 28th, 2006, 11:22 pm
    We were there Sunday around noonish.

My hubby ordered the beef tendon noodle soup and I the house special wonton soup. The server mixed my order up with another guys and I thought I'd just take it and assumed that owner/order guy (dude in the pic) had taken it wrong. She was talking to me in Mandarin and I had no clue what she was saying. By the time I dipped into it, he started yelling at the server telling her she gave me the wrong order . Then she was like I asked her if it was hers... then he yelled back that I don't understand Chinese. (That bit my hubby was able to translate but not all) It was akward but kinda funny. I ended up getting an entree that was more expensive then what I ordered and it super spicy! I can tolerate a little kick, but this had cleared up my sinus!

Anywho.. the food was good and I highly recommend bringing a translated menu with you if you dont have someone with you that can read Chinese. We ended up buying frozen handmade dumplings which we have yet to try. We'll be back to try other stuff.
  • Post #48 - March 31st, 2006, 6:08 am
    Post #48 - March 31st, 2006, 6:08 am Post #48 - March 31st, 2006, 6:08 am

Might have been my fault, too. I tried Katy's once a year or so ago - got dumplings in soup. The broth was uninspiring (watery and pretty bland) and the dumplings suffered from that, plus I think I got soy chicken to go. And then I posted on it, with some comment like "with Fab Noodles down the street, I cannot imagine why I would go there again." I was in a hurry and it is clear I did not fully explore the menu or order particularly well, so I regret any role I may have played in delaying the exploration of Katy's.

Now I need to go back, it seems.

Curious what the objection is to Shree - I have had their food twice and found it serviceable. Not special, but decent. Good to see Westmont discovered.

Nice work Sazerac.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #49 - March 31st, 2006, 1:27 pm
    Post #49 - March 31st, 2006, 1:27 pm Post #49 - March 31st, 2006, 1:27 pm
    I went to Katy's for lunch today, and I was very impressed. I just had the stir-fried noodles (combination meat/shrimp), but it was more than enough food (I am actually having trouble typing due to my labored breathing). I loved the noodles - they had just the right chewy, toothsome texture. The sauce was nice, especially when enhanced with the chile oil. I will definately be back to try other things like the cold Szechuan noodles and the beef tendon soup. And the place is only 5 minutes from where I work!

Which leads me to a couple questions about the area. First - are any of the other restaurants in that shopping center worth trying (Madra's Palace, the thai place, the many markets)? I tried Shree's buffet once and found it OK but gave me no real reason to rush back. Second question - has anyone heard when Mandarin Sun (the new restaurant reportedly opening on Ogden that is related to Ed's Potstickers House)is going to open? I keep trying to call the number given in a related post and no one ever answers.
  • Post #50 - March 31st, 2006, 2:05 pm
    Post #50 - March 31st, 2006, 2:05 pm Post #50 - March 31st, 2006, 2:05 pm
    borborigmy,

Where were you sitting. I had lunch there today with Dickson and a coworker. We were there from noon until around 1.

About the strip mall. The only place I really have a problem with is Mai Thai. Last week we went over to Katy's but it was pack and we settled on Mai Thai. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Flip
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #51 - March 31st, 2006, 2:35 pm
    Post #51 - March 31st, 2006, 2:35 pm Post #51 - March 31st, 2006, 2:35 pm
    Flip,

I wondered if I recognized fellow LTHer's sitting next to me! I was sitting right next to you guys - reading the NY Times. What you were eating looked really good, too. :lol:

Let me know if you ever want another mouth around at lunch to order different things. And thanks for the warning about Mai Thai.
  • Post #52 - March 31st, 2006, 3:25 pm
    Post #52 - March 31st, 2006, 3:25 pm Post #52 - March 31st, 2006, 3:25 pm
    borborigmy wrote:Flip,

I wondered if I recognized fellow LTHer's sitting next to me! I was sitting right next to you guys - reading the NY Times. What you were eating looked really good, too. :lol:

Let me know if you ever want another mouth around at lunch to order different things. And thanks for the warning about Mai Thai.

To clarify what we ordered today:

Beef Noodle Soup
    Szechwan Noodle Soup
    Cold Szechwan Noodles
    Boiled Dumplings
    Smoked Chicken

Everything was good as usual. Borborigmy, just email or IM me if you care to meet for lunch sometime. I know Octarine has mentioned frequent stops at both Katy's and LSC on Ogden.

Flip
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #53 - March 31st, 2006, 4:16 pm
    Post #53 - March 31st, 2006, 4:16 pm Post #53 - March 31st, 2006, 4:16 pm
    I ate there yesterday. Had the stir fried noodles with pork. Excellent.

Funny thing, there was one other sit down patron when I was there. He was a Chinese man in a suit and ordered in CHinese. The owner (we really need to find out his name btw) handed him the dish, laid down the chopsticks and turned away when the man said something to which the owner replied with a puzzled/amused tone. He took away the chopsticks and handed him a fork which he proceeded to use. When my noodles came out, he only gave me a fork and I asked for chopsticks as I actually do prefer to eat noodles with them. I like being able to pick up individual morsels as the mood strikes. It just seemed odd. There were bemused smiles all around.
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #54 - March 31st, 2006, 9:27 pm
    Post #54 - March 31st, 2006, 9:27 pm Post #54 - March 31st, 2006, 9:27 pm
    borborigmy wrote:Flip,

I thought I recognized you from somewhere and considered saying "LTH Forum?," but did not do it. Not sure whether we met at an event or you just look like an LTH'er?? Sorry BR, next time I have that urge I sure will not resist it.

The food was excellent. Steamed dumplings and Cold Szechwan Noodles in particular. Will go back soon.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #55 - April 3rd, 2006, 11:41 am
    Post #55 - April 3rd, 2006, 11:41 am Post #55 - April 3rd, 2006, 11:41 am
    I did takeout on Saturday... a 2-1/2 hour round-trip. Had the Beef Tendon Noodle Soup and Bai Tsai & Pork Dumplings. The food was well worth the trip. :D I also picked up a jar of Biryani curry paste at the Indo-Pak market a few doors down.

Thanks for the hook-up!

Goliano 8)
  • Post #56 - April 3rd, 2006, 12:57 pm
    Post #56 - April 3rd, 2006, 12:57 pm Post #56 - April 3rd, 2006, 12:57 pm
    Had lunch there again today. Stir fried noodles with dry chili and beef noodle soup. Spot on once again.

Flip
    -Ben Franklin-
  • Post #57 - April 3rd, 2006, 8:57 pm
    Post #57 - April 3rd, 2006, 8:57 pm Post #57 - April 3rd, 2006, 8:57 pm
    The self make noodle, dumpling and Chao Bing is my most favorite food in Beijing of China. We can find so unadulterated Chinese food in there. :lol:
  • Post #58 - April 5th, 2006, 8:49 pm
    Post #58 - April 5th, 2006, 8:49 pm Post #58 - April 5th, 2006, 8:49 pm
    so the take home dumplings were not bad. just be aware that the napa, leek, or whatever veggie they used in the dumplings can let out a strong aroma when cooked and finally when bit into. i'd suggest getting a few breath mints in before snuggling up to you s.o. :shock: ill definitely go back and buy more to get away from the manual labor of making my own!
  • Post #59 - April 5th, 2006, 9:13 pm
    Post #59 - April 5th, 2006, 9:13 pm Post #59 - April 5th, 2006, 9:13 pm
    I went there a couple of times and had the stir-fried noodles with chilli. It was good. A minor complaint is that the shrimp were not deveined. I had to do it by hand.
  • Post #60 - April 6th, 2006, 8:14 am
    Post #60 - April 6th, 2006, 8:14 am Post #60 - April 6th, 2006, 8:14 am
    mby385 wrote:just be aware that the napa, leek, or whatever veggie they used in the dumplings can let out a strong aroma when cooked and finally when bit into. i'd suggest getting a few breath mints in before snuggling up to you s.o. :shock:

Some foods [and especially most Korean foods what with all of the cabbage and garlic] need to be eaten in the company of the s.o. so that neither of you can complain about the other.

I realized one day that I could tell that I didn't like a client when I went out and had Korean food on my lunch break :twisted: .

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide