LTH Home

Greek Corner Cafe?

Greek Corner Cafe?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Greek Corner Cafe?

Post #1 - July 15th, 2004, 12:43 pm
    Post #1 - July 15th, 2004, 12:43 pm Post #1 - July 15th, 2004, 12:43 pm
    I justed moved to around Chicago/Damen and on Augusta/Damen there is a place called Greek Corner Cafe. Has anyone been here? I thought it was just carryout, but then I noticed an outdoor patio and people with menus. It is also BYOB.

Greek Corner Restaurant Cafe
    958 N Damen Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    773-252-8010
    Moderator edit in of address
  • Post #2 - July 15th, 2004, 1:26 pm
    Post #2 - July 15th, 2004, 1:26 pm Post #2 - July 15th, 2004, 1:26 pm
    I have lived within three blocks of that corner for more than two years. It certainly wasn't anything memorable in its previous incarnation, and may not be much moreso, now, but I stop in occasionally, particularly when I can't be bothered to cook or come up with a more creative idea for a quick, local dinner option. [It won't take long for you to tire of most of the local options, I am sure.]

I've had the Greek chicken, the souvlaki, and the moussaka. These are reasonably priced, amply portioned, and decently prepared. Nothing exotic, mind you, but they treat me well, at least, when I am in the mood. Dinner platters come with a serving of Greek salad, a simple rice "pilaf," two wedges of roasted potato, and a small hunk of sesame baguette. The salad contains lettuce, tomatoes, slivered onion, feta cheese, and olives, and it is dressed with oregano, oil, and vinegar. The rice "pilaf" is simply converted rice that has been cooked with a bit of chicken stock or flavouring. The wedges are nicely toothsome and their seasoning is quite pleasant. The bread is not particularly special, but it is quite serviceable as a sponge for errant chicken juice, dressing, etc. ;)

The only places that I can think to compare it to are Zorba's, on Halsted, and Hellas, on Bryn Mawr. There are bits that remind me of each.

Erik M.
  • Post #3 - July 15th, 2004, 3:16 pm
    Post #3 - July 15th, 2004, 3:16 pm Post #3 - July 15th, 2004, 3:16 pm
    How come your post says from Friday the 16th? Can you see into the future?

pd
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #4 - January 28th, 2008, 11:22 am
    Post #4 - January 28th, 2008, 11:22 am Post #4 - January 28th, 2008, 11:22 am
    I know this is an old post but the Greek Corner is really a pretty good option in this neighborhood. The staff is really friendly, they have a good gyros with the platter almost being too much food. The Greek chicken is usually a special and is pretty good. It's slow roasted and re-heated for the individual diner and has a good seasonings (oregano, lemon, oil). Simple but good food. They have an outdoor patio for nicer weather and they're pretty fast. Most people take out but the small dining area is clean and worth a sit. The prices are good too. A 1/2 Greek chicken special with potatoes, rice and side salad is $11.95 with the 1/4 at $7.95. The gyros platter is around the same price as my wife and I recently ordered the 1/4 chicken and a gyros platter for $19.08. I'd recommend for a quick weekday night over the McDonald's that's 2 block's away. Oh yeah, there's parking for about 2-3 cars in the back but street parking is doable.
  • Post #5 - February 10th, 2011, 6:56 am
    Post #5 - February 10th, 2011, 6:56 am Post #5 - February 10th, 2011, 6:56 am
    Just wanted to bump this thread to report that Greek Corner is still going strong. It's my go-to when I want something easy, comforting, cheap and close to home (and am too late or not in the mood for Andrzej's, Chickpea, Taco Veloz, Takie Outit, etc.). Whenever I visit, I intend on take-out but always end up eating there. It seems to be a regular stop for cops, students, neighborhood folks. The patrons give it a very homey feel.

Needing to de-frazzle from my day, I visited last night, ordered a gyros plate and settled in to watch an episode of Wheel of Fortune. Greek Corner proudly serves Kronos gyros, and they do right by it. The gyros plate brims with meat just cut off the spit, warm, toasted pita, ordinary but crispy fries, Greek salad with always excellent feta olives and too finely shredded lettuce and a giant dollop of mild tzatziki on the side. It hit the spot and, at under $10, it's a solid deal. I'm happy to have Greek Corner in the neighborhood.
  • Post #6 - May 25th, 2021, 10:46 pm
    Post #6 - May 25th, 2021, 10:46 pm Post #6 - May 25th, 2021, 10:46 pm
    After Another Driver Plows Into Greek Corner Restaurant, Neighbors Step Up To Raise Money To Rebuild
    Before January, the last time a car crashed into Greek Corner was 27 years ago. Now it's happened twice in five months.

The restaurant had recently added breakfast hours on weekends.

--
    edc

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more