LTH Home

Orland and Tinley Park, Mokena, Frankfort, Lockport, Homer

Orland and Tinley Park, Mokena, Frankfort, Lockport, Homer
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
    Post #31 - November 20th, 2013, 8:30 am Post #31 - November 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Happened to be taking a different route home (Oak Park) from Lockport and ran across this deli...

Stefanelli's Italian Imports
    1250 E 9th St (159th), Lockport
    (about a mile west of 355)
    http://stefanellisitalianimports.com/

Looked interesting and stepping inside it smelled even better. Besides all the usual canned Italian items they had a nice looking deli counter (had Boar's Head meats), a good selection of refrigerated and frozen dishes and carry out (with a lunch counter along one wall). Nice bakery items too.

Another interesting sandwich on the menu was The Freddie a southside special. Gonna have to give that a try soon.

Right on Johnny, popped into Stefanelli's yesterday to continue my Italian Sub project.

Knew it was my kind of place when I spotted this - should be a frickin' law :wink: :

Italian Sub 7", solid - some sharp provolone on this one.

coming back for a Freddy and maybe a Mickey(breaded eggplant, breaded steak, Mozz & red sauce)
  • Post #32 - November 21st, 2013, 12:54 pm
    Post #32 - November 21st, 2013, 12:54 pm Post #32 - November 21st, 2013, 12:54 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    metro man wrote:In Tinley check out Rubino's at 16635 Oak Park Ave. When I lived in the area it was my go to Italian specialty store. Great sandwiches and more.

http://www.rubinositalianimports.com/index.html

lol, on my short list, just a bit too far from work to get there and back in an hour. Probably gonna have to save it for a weekend visit.

I tried the Italian sub here once a couple years ago and IMO the bread completely sunk it. Terrible, terrible bread they used. Big, soft, characterless bread that dwarfed the contents of the sandwich, like one of those big family-sized subs you'd get from a grocery store deli. Maybe they've changed since then though, and the place is certainly worth a visit for just about everything but the sandwiches.

jimswside wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:Happened to be taking a different route home (Oak Park) from Lockport and ran across this deli...

Stefanelli's Italian Imports
    1250 E 9th St (159th), Lockport
    (about a mile west of 355)
    http://stefanellisitalianimports.com/

Looked interesting and stepping inside it smelled even better. Besides all the usual canned Italian items they had a nice looking deli counter (had Boar's Head meats), a good selection of refrigerated and frozen dishes and carry out (with a lunch counter along one wall). Nice bakery items too.

Another interesting sandwich on the menu was The Freddie a southside special. Gonna have to give that a try soon.

Right on Johnny, popped into Stefanelli's yesterday to continue my Italian Sub project.

Knew it was my kind of place when I spotted this - should be a frickin' law :wink: :

Italian Sub 7", solid - some sharp provolone on this one.

coming back for a Freddy and maybe a Mickey(breaded eggplant, breaded steak, Mozz & red sauce)

It was a sad day recently when I discovered that the Blue Island outpost of this place had closed, as I'd been touting their Italian subs as my favorite for some time. Lockport's a bit outside my usual range but I may have to make the trip one of these days.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #33 - November 21st, 2013, 1:30 pm
    Post #33 - November 21st, 2013, 1:30 pm Post #33 - November 21st, 2013, 1:30 pm
    JimTheBeerGuy wrote:
    I tried the Italian sub here once a couple years ago and IMO the bread completely sunk it. Terrible, terrible bread they used. Big, soft, characterless bread that dwarfed the contents of the sandwich, like one of those big family-sized subs you'd get from a grocery store deli. Maybe they've changed since then though, and the place is certainly worth a visit for just about everything but the sandwiches.

It was a sad day recently when I discovered that the Blue Island outpost of this place had closed, as I'd been touting their Italian subs as my favorite for some time. Lockport's a bit outside my usual range but I may have to make the trip one of these days.

Thanks for your thoughts on Rubino's Jim - bread is important, I still want to get down there but it is at least 30 mins each way from my work, someday.

Man, I would be bummed if a place like Stefanelli's was around me then closed. Went back to Stefanelli's today for lunch, had to try my first Freddy, loved it. Ill get some pics and further thoughts up tomorrow.

edit: over here on the Freddy thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15074&p=464725#p464725
  • Post #34 - November 25th, 2013, 8:51 am
    Post #34 - November 25th, 2013, 8:51 am Post #34 - November 25th, 2013, 8:51 am
    No lie:

Popped back into Stefanellis yesterday after grocery shopping @ Caputo's in Naperville, had the family in tow to try out one of my favorite spots:

This Italian sub might have been one of the best to date, really fresh, chewy bread, great balance of meat to cheese, to etc..:

Since I did a Freddy last time and loved it we went with another(hooked):

Went with a Mickey as well(breaded eggplant, breaded steak, red sauce, mozz):

not a photogenic sandwich,and Vangie preferred it to the Freddy, I thought the Mickey was ok, the breaded steak was really good, im just not a big fan of eggplant.

Last items some mini cannoli:

Wasnt planning on heading back in to Stefanelli's today(got a crave for some fried shrimp), but I might call an audible and head in for a sandwich(or 2).
  • Post #35 - November 25th, 2013, 10:03 am
    Post #35 - November 25th, 2013, 10:03 am Post #35 - November 25th, 2013, 10:03 am
    Yeah, the bread is a deal killer at Rubino's. Love the rest of the store though.

jimswide you need to do a meatball sandwich taste test at all these places... I am on the hunt for a good one.
  • Post #36 - November 25th, 2013, 10:06 am
    Post #36 - November 25th, 2013, 10:06 am Post #36 - November 25th, 2013, 10:06 am
    TCK wrote:
    jimswide you need to do a meatball sandwich taste test at all these places... I am on the hunt for a good one.

i could see going on a meatball sub binge. :D
  • Post #37 - November 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm
    Post #37 - November 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm Post #37 - November 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm
    Peppo's gets some ink in the Trib:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-11-26/news/ct-peppos-restaurant-orland-tl-1128-20131128_1_sandwich-shop-jim-peplowski-palos-hills
  • Post #38 - December 3rd, 2013, 9:08 am
    Post #38 - December 3rd, 2013, 9:08 am Post #38 - December 3rd, 2013, 9:08 am
    Hooked on Stefanellis in Lockport nowdays, - gonna ride this obsession for a while I think. heading back - at the latest, the next day they have the Muffolatto sandwich on special - capicolla, ham mortadella, peperoni, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, muffolatto salad.

Rolled in last week, ordered up an Italian sub, got a variation with some prosciutto vs the salami(sandwich maker called an audible I guess). -

some of the thinnest shaved mortadella I have had on a sandwich, would have preferred the salami but its all good:

Been craving a Freddy since I took the Vangie and Shay into Stefanellis 2 Sundays ago. Headed in yesterday and had the best of the 3 I have had here. Pretty sure I need to roll around and check out some other places Freddy's.

Not the most photogenic sandwich but great:

Gonna finally give Peppos a try today.
  • Post #39 - December 4th, 2013, 9:15 am
    Post #39 - December 4th, 2013, 9:15 am Post #39 - December 4th, 2013, 9:15 am
    Peppo's in Palos, has been on my short list for a while since seeing posts about it here, and feedback from eaters I know.

Was hesitant to go since I eat most of my sandwiches in the truck(my camera works better in natural light), those "guts" they put on the sandwiches looked like an accident waiting to happen. Decided I could eat in.

Went with the mini Super Sub(ham, american cheese, jack cheese, swiss cheese,turkey, roast beef,salami, cheddar cheese & guts - the 5" - wanted to make sure I liked what they were doing before I committed to any bigger:

You know.... I liked this sandwich quite a bit - its kind of unique but good.. "the guts" were really good and made the sandwich. Not alot of heat, but popping with tomatoes, pickles and other stuff in a nice oil. - would be great on a hotdog.

Meats and cheeses on the sandwich were good as was the chewy bread. I can see fitting Peppo's into my lunch rotation. Next time, guts on the sandwich, and a side of habanero guts to add some heat. Next sandwich on my list is the Salami Double Play...

http://peppos.com/1/menu/
  • Post #40 - December 9th, 2013, 10:12 am
    Post #40 - December 9th, 2013, 10:12 am Post #40 - December 9th, 2013, 10:12 am
    jimswside wrote: Next time, guts on the sandwich, and a side of habanero guts to add some heat.

http://peppos.com/1/menu/

quick turnaround, popped in Friday, sandwich from earlier in the week had kind of been on my mind..:

mini super sub- 5", with regular guts, also a side of habanero guts - The batch I tried had minimal heat, but was still good, some burn. I want to try the jalapeno guts just to be thorough.

I see hitting Peppo's at least once this week for lunch. And to think I thought the Orland, Homer, Lockport area was a food wasteland . - live and learn.
  • Post #41 - December 12th, 2013, 5:20 am
    Post #41 - December 12th, 2013, 5:20 am Post #41 - December 12th, 2013, 5:20 am
    been hitting peppos for years in palos hills.
    tinley one is nice stop
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #42 - December 12th, 2013, 8:31 am
    Post #42 - December 12th, 2013, 8:31 am Post #42 - December 12th, 2013, 8:31 am
    jimswside wrote:Hooked on Stefanellis in Lockport nowdays, - gonna ride this obsession for a while I think. heading back - at the latest, the next day they have the Muffolatto sandwich on special - capicolla, ham mortadella, peperoni, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, muffolatto salad.

saw them putting one of these together last week, knew I needed to get one on my next visit. Spilt one and a Freddy yesterday.

Stefanellis Muffolatto:

this is a monster sandwich, my hand is hidden somewhere behind this 1/2:

• Post #43 - December 13th, 2013, 8:44 am
    Post #43 - December 13th, 2013, 8:44 am Post #43 - December 13th, 2013, 8:44 am
    philw wrote:been hitting peppos for years in palos hills.

maybe see you down there sometime PhilW.

# 13(corned beef, hard salami, cheddar, guts) - solid sandwich, havent had a dud here yet:

I was running low on cash yesterday, didnt want to hit an atm, or spend too much coming up on payday, Peppo's hit the spot, & did the trick - 5" sandwich for about $4.50. Way better and more filling than the dozens of bad & sadly packed McDonalds, JimmyJohns, etc I passed on the way over to Palos.

thinking of working my way through the menu here, friendly staff, and always at least one of the 2 owners working each time I have been in.
  • Post #44 - December 16th, 2013, 8:55 am
    Post #44 - December 16th, 2013, 8:55 am Post #44 - December 16th, 2013, 8:55 am
    Did a Palos - Lockport 1- 2 punch for lunch and dinner Friday..

Peppo's for a # 4 - 7" for lunch(i think the 5" is plenty from now on):

Was planning on staying in Joliet at Stefanich then head for some Cemitas and al pastor for supper, but got pizza on the mind, remembered passing Villa Nova on 171 running west from the city.

pretty good pizza, - next time ill ask for it well done, and some garlic to go with the sausage..

Villa Nova Pizza
    874 N. State (171)
    Lockport, IL.

http://villanovapizzalockport.com/
  • Post #45 - December 17th, 2013, 8:49 am
    Post #45 - December 17th, 2013, 8:49 am Post #45 - December 17th, 2013, 8:49 am
    Italia Imports was the choice yesterday, I like American subs sometimes, something about bologna, salami and amer. cheese works. I previously thought the best American sub was to be found at Augostino's in Carol Stream, no longer. I have found solid versions at Stefanellis, and yesterday a great one at Italia Market in Orland.

Italia Imports - American Sub 6" - (bologna, ham, turkey, hard salami, amer. cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo):

Also noticed they have a sandwich called the "Sandros Special" - looks to be their version of a Freddy. Gonna try that.
  • Post #46 - December 19th, 2013, 7:20 pm
    Post #46 - December 19th, 2013, 7:20 pm Post #46 - December 19th, 2013, 7:20 pm
    If you are looking for another fried chicken outlet try Paddy B's. Very casual. I love the paddy fries (think thin cottage, but not potato chips). My Dad liked the burger cooked to temperature. Partner in crime liked the steak sandwich. I thought the fried fish serviceable, the clam chowder on Friday quite good and definitely homemade. It's in my regular Friday after work rotation-I dig the vibe-and the beer's cold. Used to be located in Old Orland, but recently moved a couple miles west.

11969 W 143rd St, Orland Park, IL 60462
    (708) 349-3077

http://www.paddybs.com/

Monday - Sat 10:00 am – 2:00 am
    Sunday 11:00 am – 2:00 am

A diamond in the rough-- the Orland Oasis. Might be owned by Chef Klaus. Lunch/Breakfast only, but I tried the schnitzel "dinner"--a ton of food (soup, sides, sauerkraut) and a respite from the chain heavy Orland area.

14306 S Union Ave, Orland Park, IL 60462
    (708) 403-5503

Hours: Mon - Sun, 6:00am - 2:00pm.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #47 - December 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
    Post #47 - December 20th, 2013, 8:30 am Post #47 - December 20th, 2013, 8:30 am
    Food Nut wrote:If you are looking for another fried chicken outlet try Paddy B's. Very casual. I love the paddy fries (think thin cottage, but not potato chips). My Dad liked the burger cooked to temperature. Partner in crime liked the steak sandwich. I thought the fried fish serviceable, the clam chowder on Friday quite good and definitely homemade. It's in my regular Friday after work rotation-I dig the vibe-and the beer's cold. Used to be located in Old Orland, but recently moved a couple miles west.

11969 W 143rd St, Orland Park, IL 60462
    (708) 349-3077

http://www.paddybs.com/

thanks for the heads up on Paddy B's, I have passed by it many times on 143rd and thought about stopping in for an after work drink.
  • Post #48 - December 23rd, 2013, 5:49 pm
    Post #48 - December 23rd, 2013, 5:49 pm Post #48 - December 23rd, 2013, 5:49 pm
    I joined jimswside recently at Stefanelli's for lunch. We shared a Muffolatto [sic] and a Freddy.

Stefanelli's Muffolatto

This is a sandwich of gargantuan proportions. Although it is nowhere near the size of the New Orleans sandwich of a similar name, it was more than enough to feed both of us. I thought the ingredients were excellent, and I really liked their take on olive salad. My only complaint is about the bread. Yes, it's not the correct type of bread for a New Orleans muffaletta, but beyond that, I just didn't think it was very good bread. The texture reminded me of a large hamburger bun more than bread with some character and chew. Overall, it was not a bad sandwich at all, but next time, I'll be ordering one of their subs, which looked much more to my liking.

Stefanelli's Freddy

The Freddy, on the other hand, was served on the perfect bread for a sandwich of this type. Nice crunchy crust, with enough body and chew to hold up to the sausage patty, cheese, peppers and tomato sauce served within. I loved this sandwich and felt it made the long trip south worthwhile.

I'll be back again the next time I find myself in the area. A great 1 - 2 punch would be Stefanelli's followed by a visit to Pop's (which is located just down the street) for a beef.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #49 - December 24th, 2013, 8:22 am
    Post #49 - December 24th, 2013, 8:22 am Post #49 - December 24th, 2013, 8:22 am
    I agree with Steve 100% Re: the mufoletto, ample meat, nice olive salad, bread needs some work. The Freddy is top notch..

I recommend the Stefanellis Italian from upthred as well as their American Sub:

Speaking of 1 - 2 punches, yesterday at lunch I took a cruise &

did up Franks Chicago Shrimp in Burbank for a 1/2 pound Chicago style:

thought the Franks shrimps were good(not in my top 5 but a place I will hit again on a Monday when Johnsons is closed and I need the fix), a little to heavily breaded for my liking and maybe a little overseasoned even for "Chicago Style".

Franks Chicago Shrimp House
    6539 W. 79th Street
    Burbank, IL.

http://frankschicagoshrimp.com/menu-2/burbank-menu/

Then as I munched the shrimp, drove about 10 minutes away to Peppo's for a 5" mini super sub with jalapeno guts:

Other than a bag of Jays Hot Stuff potato chips I didnt eat another thing all day..
    Last edited by jimswside on April 8th, 2014, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #50 - December 31st, 2013, 10:39 am
    Post #50 - December 31st, 2013, 10:39 am Post #50 - December 31st, 2013, 10:39 am
    TCK wrote:Yeah, the bread is a deal killer at Rubino's. Love the rest of the store though.

I agree with you and Jimthebeerguy, the bread was pretty bad. Meats and the folks working there were nice, but the bread was not to my liking at all, no chew, etc.. Didnt grab a good pic.

I should have stopped at Frangellas - which I passed - instead, but its nice to be thorough.

My 3 favorite Italian Delis in this area are:

1) Stefanellis
    2) Italia
    3) Frangella's
  • Post #51 - January 3rd, 2014, 9:27 am
    Post #51 - January 3rd, 2014, 9:27 am Post #51 - January 3rd, 2014, 9:27 am
    Been eyeing the Sandro's Special on the menu board at Italia Imports (Orland) since my first visit, described as a sausage patty with red sauce, mozz and sweet peppers - it looks to be a "Freddy", talked with one of the guys at the counter and asked if they sold many - he said they sell a few - so I ordered one up.

A big sandwich for $5.49. Decent, but not up to the great one they turn out over at Stefanelli's. The sausage patty tasted to me to be a hybrid meatball/italian sausage blend - more meatball than sausage.

Sturdy bread, alot of cheese, and good ammount of sauce. This isnt a bad sandwich, it just did not hit the heights of a Stefanelli's Freddy.

• Post #52 - February 4th, 2014, 10:16 am
    Post #52 - February 4th, 2014, 10:16 am Post #52 - February 4th, 2014, 10:16 am
    jimswside wrote:
    My 3 favorite Italian Delis in this area are:

1) Stefanellis
    2) Italia
    3) Frangella's

kind of rethought this recently:

1) Italia
    2) Stefanellis
    3) Frangella

Too many sandwich maker audibles lately at Stefanellis to make it my go to spot for a sub. Now for a Freddy they are top of the list.

been on an American sub kick lately, Italia has a good one:

Also the 1-2 punch of Franks Shrimp then Peppo's mentioned upthread has been done a few more times as well:

Here is a # 1 From Peppo's - Ham,salami, swiss - habanero guts:

• Post #53 - September 24th, 2014, 9:06 am
    Post #53 - September 24th, 2014, 9:06 am Post #53 - September 24th, 2014, 9:06 am
    Stefanelli's in Lockport was sold to new owners early this summer - I hadnt been in since they were sold -hoping they had not changed the Freddy - popped in yesterday and got one - could have used a little more cheese but it was the usual guy in back whipping them up so it was money.

Freddy w/hot:

• Post #54 - November 4th, 2014, 3:50 pm
    Post #54 - November 4th, 2014, 3:50 pm Post #54 - November 4th, 2014, 3:50 pm
    Just realized that I've gotta schlep out to Lockport tomorrow morning. Any worthwhile breakfast options in the area?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #55 - November 17th, 2014, 8:55 am
    Post #55 - November 17th, 2014, 8:55 am Post #55 - November 17th, 2014, 8:55 am
    This will stretch the boundry a little east - only 5 miles or so from Tinley so in the neighbohood -

Didnt want to hike all the way up to the N. Side and our favorite Filipino place(Bacolod Chicken Haus) we stayed south and hit Kusinang Pinoy in Oak Forest:

strip mall spot that came up in my recent egg roll quest - Turns out to be a pretty cool little cafeteria like Filipino lunch spot. @ Filipino dishes and a mound of rice for $7 - also comes with soup & drink. There was a choice of 6 entrees(adobo,etc.), and an additional selection of ala cart items - chicken, fish lechon. Also spied some tasty turon.

I went with their chicken which was an upcharge but worth it - loved that skin:

they were doing lechon by the pound - like $9/lb i think - you know we got some - fatty and ffantastic:

shay got some of the traditional bbq pork skewers - as well as theis beef dish for her lunch - well prepared, but to my tastes similar to alot of filipino dishes I have tried - alot of sweet and vinegar notes :

Lumpia can be ordered by the piece and are fried up to order - a pretty good version - seems like if these cats have it in house it is available.

Pretty sure we are heading back for another sat. lunch or their Sunday buffet.

Kusinang Pinoy
    16150 S. Cicero Ave.
    Oak Forest, IL.

708-535-6460
  • Post #56 - November 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm
    Post #56 - November 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm Post #56 - November 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm
    So glad you found Kusinang Pinoy, Jim! The Lumpia are not bad, and for $3 you get an order of 10 of them. There is now 3-4 Filipino places within a 5 mile radius in that area. The Sunday brunch buffet is pretty good, and if there is a specific dish that you would like to try, they will put it on there if you call ahead. I didn't care for most of the desserts, but it is definitely worth a stop if you get in the area. Let me know next time you go, I will meet you there.
  • Post #57 - November 20th, 2014, 3:29 am
    Post #57 - November 20th, 2014, 3:29 am Post #57 - November 20th, 2014, 3:29 am
    glennpan wrote:So glad you found Kusinang Pinoy, Jim! The Lumpia are not bad, and for $3 you get an order of 10 of them. There is now 3-4 Filipino places within a 5 mile radius in that area. The Sunday brunch buffet is pretty good, and if there is a specific dish that you would like to try, they will put it on there if you call ahead. I didn't care for most of the desserts, but it is definitely worth a stop if you get in the area. Let me know next time you go, I will meet you there.

Definitely, thanks for the tips re: the Sunday brunch.

Nice guys running this spot, one used to live in Ottawa, il, he put the Filipino mass they do at a church in Cherry, IL. back on my radar. Not so much for the church service instead for the potluck that follows.
  • Post #58 - March 9th, 2015, 10:45 am
    Post #58 - March 9th, 2015, 10:45 am Post #58 - March 9th, 2015, 10:45 am
    Although I wouldn't call it a destination being so far away, I had a really nice cheeseburger at JW Hollstein's Saloon this weekend. The patty was the juicy, flat type, with a crispy toasted bun. The fries were decent. Odd thing though: sure, it's a bar, but no hot tea or coffee. The burger came out to $10 including tax and tip, and it really hit the spot. It might not have been anything fancy, but sometimes the simple things bring great pleasure.

17358 Oak Park Ave, Tinley Park
    www.jwhollsteins.com/
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #59 - March 9th, 2015, 12:18 pm
    Post #59 - March 9th, 2015, 12:18 pm Post #59 - March 9th, 2015, 12:18 pm
    AH! I finally get it. The "Homer" in this thread title always confused me. I see somewhere up there a mention of Homer Glen. For a while I though you might mean Homewood, FoodNut. There is a Homer, Illinois --- not in the S/SW suburbs.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #60 - March 9th, 2015, 2:14 pm
    Post #60 - March 9th, 2015, 2:14 pm Post #60 - March 9th, 2015, 2:14 pm
    Katie wrote:AH! I finally get it. The "Homer" in this thread title always confused me. I see somewhere up there a mention of Homer Glen. For a while I though you might mean Homewood, FoodNut. There is a Homer, Illinois --- not in the S/SW suburbs.

There is a limit to the number of characters in an LTH topic title. In this particular case, it was not possible to add the word Glen after Homer (at least, not without making other changes).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more