LTH Home

Chef Luciano/Gourmet Fish: Fried Chicken

Chef Luciano/Gourmet Fish: Fried Chicken
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 31st, 2005, 8:42 am
    Post #31 - October 31st, 2005, 8:42 am Post #31 - October 31st, 2005, 8:42 am
    G Wiv wrote:I've only had Chef L's fried chicken once, and was not impressed in the least. I also found it odd that they don't offer fried chicken thighs. Wing, leg, breast yes, thigh, no. My typical fried chicken order is two wings, two thighs.

From your post it seems I hit them, I was there slightly over a year ago, on a bad day. ReneG is also keen on Gourmet, he's mentioned a 'green' sauce a few times, did you happen to try that?

I got the half chicken, and it did contain a thigh. Didn't try the green sauce.

It's a very distinctive bird -- I could see how some would find it objectionable.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #32 - October 31st, 2005, 8:57 am
    Post #32 - October 31st, 2005, 8:57 am Post #32 - October 31st, 2005, 8:57 am
    David Hammond wrote:I got the half chicken, and it did contain a thigh. Didn't try the green sauce.

It's a very distinctive bird -- I could see how some would find it objectionable.

Hammond,

You got a thigh with fried? I was told thighs were available with the other types of chicken, but not fried.

Far as distinctive, I remember the spice level in the fried chicken as being somewhat bland, maybe I caught a bad batch. Speaking of fried chicken, I've been wanting fried chicken ever since I saw a pic of Luxbar's, a newish joint off of Rush Street, buttermilk fried chicken in this months Chicago Magazine.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - October 31st, 2005, 9:01 am
    Post #33 - October 31st, 2005, 9:01 am Post #33 - October 31st, 2005, 9:01 am
    G Wiv wrote:Far as distinctive, I remember the spice level in the fried chicken as being somewhat bland, maybe I caught a bad batch.

GWiv,

You may have got a bad one.

I found the Gourmet Fish version to be in many ways the spiciest chick I'd had of all the ones I sampled recently -- lots of cumin, turmeric, etc. Not that it was real hot, but just that it had a nice underlayment of subcontinental spice going on.

Did you try any of Luciano's home-brewed hot sauce?

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #34 - October 31st, 2005, 9:12 am
    Post #34 - October 31st, 2005, 9:12 am Post #34 - October 31st, 2005, 9:12 am
    G Wiv wrote:Speaking of fried chicken, I've been wanting fried chicken ever since I saw a pic of Luxbar's, a newish joint off of Rush Street, buttermilk fried chicken in this months Chicago Magazine.

Pssst.

Parlor, on North Avenue in W.P./Bucktown, has "fried chicken & waffles." :wink:

I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looked good to me on Friday night.*

Parlor
    1745 W. North Ave.

E.M.

* On the occasion of my first visit to Parlor, Friday night, I ordered the "flatiron steak" with a side of the "onion rings." I was quite pleased with my meal.
  • Post #35 - October 31st, 2005, 5:19 pm
    Post #35 - October 31st, 2005, 5:19 pm Post #35 - October 31st, 2005, 5:19 pm
    Erik M. wrote:Parlor, on North Avenue in W.P./Bucktown, has "fried chicken & waffles." :wink:

I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looked good to me on Friday night.

The malted waffles are excellent, but the coating on the otherwise tasty fried chicken (dark meat only) is too thick and falls off in sheets when you bite in.
  • Post #36 - December 10th, 2005, 8:28 pm
    Post #36 - December 10th, 2005, 8:28 pm Post #36 - December 10th, 2005, 8:28 pm
    Half fried chicken order indeed does come w/ a thigh. (and a breast and a wing). the crust was tasty, the hot sauce tangy and spicy but....

the pieces of chicken were clearly refried.. the breast piece had 'cool' flesh in the middle. so SO disappointed...

we followed the fried chicken w/ some empanadas de leches @ El Salvador Restaurante (mentioned here in the TOC Best Thing We Ate This Year article). nice, deep fred foods filled lunch!
  • Post #37 - December 11th, 2005, 5:32 am
    Post #37 - December 11th, 2005, 5:32 am Post #37 - December 11th, 2005, 5:32 am
    LAZ wrote:The malted waffles are excellent, but the coating on the otherwise tasty fried chicken (dark meat only)
    TonyC wrote:Half fried chicken order indeed does come w/ a thigh. (and a breast and a wing).

I think we're talking about two different restaurants here. I was writing about chicken and waffles at Parlor. You're referring to Chef Luciano?
  • Post #38 - December 11th, 2005, 12:45 pm
    Post #38 - December 11th, 2005, 12:45 pm Post #38 - December 11th, 2005, 12:45 pm
    ^
    slight obfuscation. gwiv said something about:
    I also found it odd that they don't offer fried chicken thighs. Wing, leg, breast yes, thigh, no.

mr. hammond replied with:
    I got the half chicken, and it did contain a thigh. Didn't try the green sauce.

i was reiterating his point.

FWIW: Parlor's Chicken & Waffles also made TOC's top 100 eats of '05
    Last edited by TonyC on December 11th, 2005, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #39 - February 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm
    Post #39 - February 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm Post #39 - February 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm
    Stopped here for 1/4 dark chicken (leg and thigh) special with rice for 3.99 and it was outstanding. Crispy skin roasted chicken with a tasty spice mixture. Succulent and juicy dark meat. Washed down with an excellent made in house ginger beer. Also saw they sell naan which is hard to find in the near south side other than whole foods. Looking forward to returning to explore more of the menu.
  • Post #40 - September 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm
    Post #40 - September 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm Post #40 - September 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm
    Longtime chicken-focused spot Chef Luciano is permanently closed as owners David and Rocky Gupta prepare to transform the space into an American restaurant called Mustard Seed, according to its website.

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/6/10/225 ... ummer-2021
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more