LTH Home

Tampopo [+ Cedar Grill]

Tampopo [+ Cedar Grill]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - June 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm
    Post #61 - June 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm Post #61 - June 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm
    Had a nice dinner with Mrs. Trpt at Tampopo tonight. The age dashi tofu was creamy with a nice fried skin, tasty ginger sauce. Gyoza was solid, seaweed salad flavorful as well as a variety of nigiri and maki. Only disappointment was sashimi salad, fish pretty dull, the dressing depressingly like a french dressing, lettuce dry as if left out for a while. A huge amount of food for $70 plus tip. Sorry, I like their sushi despite comments to the contrary.
    trpt2345
  • Post #62 - October 24th, 2010, 11:44 am
    Post #62 - October 24th, 2010, 11:44 am Post #62 - October 24th, 2010, 11:44 am
    We made our maiden voyage to Tampopo early last evening. This GNR is so well-documented on this board, that we don't have too much to add. We tried dishes new to us and some old standards and, by and large were quite happy.

    In any event, dinner began with a warming bowl of miso and three small palate whetters: pickles, macaroni salad, and bean sprouts in a light broth. The pickles were surprisingly spicy but all three dishes a nice welcome and we were happy to have them. Then we proceeded to the heart of the matter.

    Image
    Golden shrimp (shrimp covered with what amounts to chawan mushi. Neither of us had ever encountered such a thing and we both enjoyed it. We found the custard slightly sweet which I though didn't quite complement the sweetness of the shrimp; LDC wasn't bothered by this. In any case, we both found it an unusual dish and liked it. Tampopo does a similar dish with scallop which we think would also be successful, although I'd add the same caveat)

    Image
    Steamed wasabi dumplings (the wrappers were quite strongly redolent of wasabi, almost too much so, at least for me; otherwise, generously portioned and tasty)

    Image
    Whole squid in ginger sauce (a largish squid and unacceptably tough. I suspect it was a function of both size and being overcooked and I was quite disappointed since the sauce otherwise very nicely complemented the squid; it wasn't quite the whole squid, by the way--the tentacles were missing)

    Image
    Salmon bento box (a terrific deal for only $23; generous portions, expertly done tempura, everything attractive and delicious. It bears noting that the price also includes green tea and ice cream for dessert)

    Image
    Oyako donburi (classic comfort food very well done)

    All in all, this is what we expect when we encounter a neighborhood Japanese restaurant. I wouldn't say our server radiated warmth, but she was certainly friendly enough and dishes arrived a bit faster than we could quite finish them. Prices eminently fair. That said, I must note one complaint. We had a $25 restaurant.com coupon. The restaurant added a 20% charge, in accordance with their stated policy on the coupon. There were two of us at the table; as it happens, we were the first people in the place and left only as it began to get busy. We spent over $56 on food plus more on sake. We were happy with the service and would almost certainly have tipped 20% anyway but I very much dislike a policy of adding a service charge, particularly when this is done for a party of two. We will undoubtedly return, but I'd be less than honest if I didn't say that this didn't impress us favorably.
    Gypsy Boy

    "I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #63 - November 10th, 2010, 8:38 am
    Post #63 - November 10th, 2010, 8:38 am Post #63 - November 10th, 2010, 8:38 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:I must note one complaint. We had a $25 restaurant.com coupon. The restaurant added a 20% charge, in accordance with their stated policy on the coupon. There were two of us at the table; as it happens, we were the first people in the place and left only as it began to get busy. We spent over $56 on food plus more on sake. We were happy with the service and would almost certainly have tipped 20% anyway but I very much dislike a policy of adding a service charge, particularly when this is done for a party of two. We will undoubtedly return, but I'd be less than honest if I didn't say that this didn't impress us favorably.

    That must be specifically for the restaurant.com coupons. I've been several times (without coupons) and never had a service charge added. It does seem odd that they'd do it just for the restaurant.com coupons though.
  • Post #64 - November 10th, 2010, 10:49 am
    Post #64 - November 10th, 2010, 10:49 am Post #64 - November 10th, 2010, 10:49 am
    I'd agree if it weren't stated on the coupon. My assumption is the staff sometimes gets stiffed because some folks tip on the reduced final charge, not on the pre-discount price of the meal. Maybe everyone would be better off if Tampopo made it a $14 coupon and refused tips.

    PS, the food and descriptions remind me I need to get back to Tampopo. Thanks. A lot of that homestyle grub is what people are going nuts for these days in the guise of izakaya. One item that is on the menu at just about every izakaya: the "whole" braised squid, prepared precisely as pictured. I like squid, but this is one orthodox item I've never gotten.
  • Post #65 - March 17th, 2011, 3:40 pm
    Post #65 - March 17th, 2011, 3:40 pm Post #65 - March 17th, 2011, 3:40 pm
    We visited Tampopo for the first time on Tuesday night for our daughter's birthday. She liked her maki very much, and Cabbagehead found his katsudon good. As everyone has noted, the agedashi tofu was fantastic. I could drink that sauce, and the tofu was a perfect creamy consistency. The Tampopo Ramen Soup was huge and filled with seafood, but most of the seafood was overcooked and rubbery. The crab was wasted that way. I found the broth one note, although the noodles themselves were fine. My son's beef teriyaki was too salty, he and I agreed, and he thought it wasn't sweet enough. Tempura was good but not outstanding. Maybe we didn't order the right things, but I have to say I was disappointed. Luckily my daughter enjoyed her meal.

    We also used a rather old restaurant.com $25 coupon (ours said 18% gratuity added), and at first the waitress said it had expired, but then accepted it.
  • Post #66 - July 31st, 2012, 8:21 pm
    Post #66 - July 31st, 2012, 8:21 pm Post #66 - July 31st, 2012, 8:21 pm
    I've been going to Tampopo occasionally for the last few years, and wanted to bring this thread back up. As a GNR, it's a solid fit. Tonight's meal was no exception. A starter of goma-ae whetted the appetite, followed by a yellowtail and scallion roll - fresh and packed with flavor. The bowl of kitsune udon arrived just in time, steaming and full of promise. Halfway through the bowl, a few dashes of chili oil added just the right touch of heat to the flavorful broth. A great meal from start to finish, and I'll not let so much time pass until my next visit.
  • Post #67 - December 2nd, 2012, 6:24 pm
    Post #67 - December 2nd, 2012, 6:24 pm Post #67 - December 2nd, 2012, 6:24 pm
    My wife and I and another couple had a taste for maki rolls and sushi last night(a Saturday)after seeing Lincoln at the Landmark Century. So we headed over to our favorite Japanese/Korean restaurant Tampopo at 5665 N. Lincoln Avenue. When we walked in we were surprised to see only one table occupied at about 8:45 PM. We thought that was weird. We told the waitress that we wanted a large pitcher of hot sake for the table. She told us that they didn't serve alcohol. What? Now we were really getting worried. I looked down at the menu and instead of reading TAMPOPO, the letters on the cover spelled out TANPOPO. We looked back at the sushi bar in the back of the restaurant where smiling Chef/Owner Daniel Cho usually was to be seen cheerfully slicing his fish and rolling his sushi and maki. HE WASN'T THERE!!! Did we walk into an episode of the Twilight Zone? We asked the waitress if there had been a change at this little gem of a sushi stand-bye. She told us that he was no longer with the restaurant, that he had left with his mother who was generally by his side assembling plates and that the restaurant was under new management. Flabbergasted we agreed to try the offerings of the new management. In short, I have to sadly say that we probably won't be back. The plates are less artistically done and blander. We are bereft. We had been going to Tampopo for about 10 years and were regulars. I'm sorry that we didn't have a chance to say good-bye to Chef Daniel. Tampopo was truly a Great Neighborhood Restaurant and Daniel was one of the most personable hosts that we have encountered. Now we have to find our new go-to place for this kind of food. Rats!
  • Post #68 - December 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm
    Post #68 - December 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm Post #68 - December 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm
    Totally weird. We were there last week and all was good.
  • Post #69 - December 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm
    Post #69 - December 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm Post #69 - December 2nd, 2012, 7:33 pm
    OldStove wrote:My wife and I and another couple had a taste for maki rolls and sushi last night(a Saturday)after seeing Lincoln at the Landmark Century. So we headed over to our favorite Japanese/Korean restaurant Tampopo at 5665 N. Lincoln Avenue. When we walked in we were surprised to see only one table occupied at about 8:45 PM. We thought that was weird. We told the waitress that we wanted a large pitcher of hot sake for the table. She told us that they didn't serve alcohol. What? Now we were really getting worried. I looked down at the menu and instead of reading TAMPOPO, the letters on the cover spelled out TANPOPO. We looked back at the sushi bar in the back of the restaurant where smiling Chef/Owner Daniel Cho usually was to be seen cheerfully slicing his fish and rolling his sushi and maki. HE WASN'T THERE!!! Did we walk into an episode of the Twilight Zone? We asked the waitress if there had been a change at this little gem of a sushi stand-bye. She told us that he was no longer with the restaurant, that he had left with his mother who was generally by his side assembling plates and that the restaurant was under new management. Flabbergasted we agreed to try the offerings of the new management. In short, I have to sadly say that we probably won't be back. The plates are less artistically done and blander. We are bereft. We had been going to Tampopo for about 10 years and were regulars. I'm sorry that we didn't have a chance to say good-bye to Chef Daniel. Tampopo was truly a Great Neighborhood Restaurant and Daniel was one of the most personable hosts that we have encountered. Now we have to find our new go-to place for this kind of food. Rats!

    Damn. Stunningly sad news. :(

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #70 - December 3rd, 2012, 12:18 am
    Post #70 - December 3rd, 2012, 12:18 am Post #70 - December 3rd, 2012, 12:18 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Damn. Stunningly sad news. :(
    Didn't see that coming, stunningly sad news about sums it up.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #71 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am
    Post #71 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am Post #71 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am
    Nooooooo! That was pretty much the only place I've gotten good and affordable ramen here in the city. Ugh. Anyone have any replacement suggestions? I have yet to go to sunshine cafe (they are homestyle Japanese) and I've also not tried the ramen at renga tei (everything else I've tried is fantastic though). Really craving some ramen now that I know it's gone. FML.
  • Post #72 - December 3rd, 2012, 4:26 am
    Post #72 - December 3rd, 2012, 4:26 am Post #72 - December 3rd, 2012, 4:26 am
    Just yesterday I was talking about going to Tampopo, then just happened to see this thread. It had been over a year since my last visit. I'm definitely kicking myself right now. :(
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

    -Mark Twain
  • Post #73 - December 3rd, 2012, 9:02 am
    Post #73 - December 3rd, 2012, 9:02 am Post #73 - December 3rd, 2012, 9:02 am
    Suiname wrote:Nooooooo! That was pretty much the only place I've gotten good and affordable ramen here in the city. Ugh. Anyone have any replacement suggestions? I have yet to go to sunshine cafe (they are homestyle Japanese) and I've also not tried the ramen at renga tei (everything else I've tried is fantastic though). Really craving some ramen now that I know it's gone. FML.

    The ramen, among other things, has been mentioned at GNR Ginza.
    -Mary
  • Post #74 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:12 pm
    Post #74 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:12 pm Post #74 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:12 pm
    Suiname wrote:Nooooooo! That was pretty much the only place I've gotten good and affordable ramen here in the city. Ugh. Anyone have any replacement suggestions? I have yet to go to sunshine cafe (they are homestyle Japanese) and I've also not tried the ramen at renga tei (everything else I've tried is fantastic though). Really craving some ramen now that I know it's gone. FML.


    The Ramen from Takashi's in the food court at Macy's is pretty good. Or you could fly out to NYC, and I'll take you out for the proper stuff. Just pack half a dozen tortas and a few shawerma sandwiches to stock me up.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #75 - December 3rd, 2012, 2:41 pm
    Post #75 - December 3rd, 2012, 2:41 pm Post #75 - December 3rd, 2012, 2:41 pm
    Habibi wrote:The Ramen from Takashi's in the food court at Macy's is pretty good. Or you could fly out to NYC, and I'll take you out for the proper stuff. Just pack half a dozen tortas and a few shawerma sandwiches to stock me up.

    I am always down to go back to Minca, that ramen so tasty. I will try this Macy's food court though, probably also Sunshine cafe and Renga Tei too. One of them is bound to be good.
  • Post #76 - December 3rd, 2012, 2:57 pm
    Post #76 - December 3rd, 2012, 2:57 pm Post #76 - December 3rd, 2012, 2:57 pm
    Suiname wrote:
    Habibi wrote:The Ramen from Takashi's in the food court at Macy's is pretty good. Or you could fly out to NYC, and I'll take you out for the proper stuff. Just pack half a dozen tortas and a few shawerma sandwiches to stock me up.

    I am always down to go back to Minca, that ramen so tasty. I will try this Macy's food court though, probably also Sunshine cafe and Renga Tei too. One of them is bound to be good.


    That bowl at Macy's(7th floor, not the basement) is chock full of goodness and if you tell them you want something , like double-egg, or pork, or vegetables, or whatever, they will customize that bowl. Sometimes, when I'm worried about falling asleep I get it without the ramen. That broth with vegetables & an egg is awesome. Ohhhh, I think I better get a bowl tomorrow when I'm downtown.

    Oh right, it maybe busy there now that it's December so be patient with them.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #77 - December 3rd, 2012, 3:05 pm
    Post #77 - December 3rd, 2012, 3:05 pm Post #77 - December 3rd, 2012, 3:05 pm
    Suiname wrote:Nooooooo! That was pretty much the only place I've gotten good and affordable ramen here in the city. Ugh. Anyone have any replacement suggestions? I have yet to go to sunshine cafe (they are homestyle Japanese) and I've also not tried the ramen at renga tei (everything else I've tried is fantastic though). Really craving some ramen now that I know it's gone. FML.


    For my money, the best ramen in the area can be found at Santouka Ramen in the food court of Mitsuwa Market in Arlington Heights.

    Santouka Ramen
    100 E Algonquin Rd
    Arlington Heights, IL
    (847) 956-6699
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #78 - December 6th, 2012, 4:03 pm
    Post #78 - December 6th, 2012, 4:03 pm Post #78 - December 6th, 2012, 4:03 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Suiname wrote:Nooooooo! That was pretty much the only place I've gotten good and affordable ramen here in the city. Ugh. Anyone have any replacement suggestions? I have yet to go to sunshine cafe (they are homestyle Japanese) and I've also not tried the ramen at renga tei (everything else I've tried is fantastic though). Really craving some ramen now that I know it's gone. FML.


    For my money, the best ramen in the area can be found at Santouka Ramen in the food court of Mitsuwa Market in Arlington Heights.

    Santouka Ramen
    100 E Algonquin Rd
    Arlington Heights, IL
    (847) 956-6699


    Yeah, I've had it and it's definitely the best of everything I've had in IL. It's not in the city though and Arlington Heights is hard for me to get to even for ridiculously good Ramen.
  • Post #79 - July 6th, 2013, 10:16 am
    Post #79 - July 6th, 2013, 10:16 am Post #79 - July 6th, 2013, 10:16 am
    Anyone have any recent experiences at Tampopo? Has it completely gone downhill with the ownership change?
  • Post #80 - July 6th, 2013, 12:24 pm
    Post #80 - July 6th, 2013, 12:24 pm Post #80 - July 6th, 2013, 12:24 pm
    rmtraut wrote:Anyone have any recent experiences at Tampopo? Has it completely gone downhill with the ownership change?
    I have not tried the 'new' Tampopo, and I don't know anyone who has but there is no reason to assume that because there was a change of ownership it will go downhill.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #81 - July 11th, 2013, 10:08 am
    Post #81 - July 11th, 2013, 10:08 am Post #81 - July 11th, 2013, 10:08 am
    G Wiv wrote:I have not tried the 'new' Tampopo, and I don't know anyone who has but there is no reason to assume that because there was a change of ownership it will go downhill.

    Lunch at Tanpopo was solid with Korean style chiashi on cold soba noodles one of the better versions I've encountered. What set Tanpopo's version apart was liberal use of hearty sharp flavored leafy veg such as mustard greens, sesame leaf etc, light application of sesame oil on the soba noodles and a side bowl of gochujang instead of premixing.

    In addition to the new name there is a new menu and Tanpopo deserves it own thread, which I will do after another visit or two, if someone does not beat me it.

    Tanpopo Chirash on cold soba noodle

    Image

    Tanpopo
    5665 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773-561-2277
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more