LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2023

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2023
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 4 of 18
  • Post #91 - February 8th, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Post #91 - February 8th, 2023, 2:29 pm Post #91 - February 8th, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Bubble tea is pretty popular among high schoolers in our area, mostly at locally owned shops. Sounds like Big Boba is starting to take over.
  • Post #92 - February 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm
    Post #92 - February 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm Post #92 - February 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Boba, again? This was the "hot new thing" about 3 times already, dating back to the early 2000's.

Tony has big plans.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #93 - February 8th, 2023, 8:56 pm
    Post #93 - February 8th, 2023, 8:56 pm Post #93 - February 8th, 2023, 8:56 pm
    Lake Zurich leaders approved a plan for a new firehouse-themed restaurant at the former Fritzl's European Restaurant & Pub, which was a village mainstay for 36 years before closing in 2021.

Husband-and-wife duo Kris and Moriah Schoenberger received permission to open Station 52 Truck Company Bar & Grill at 377 N. Rand Road. As the name suggests, the restaurant will bear many similarities to the Schoenbergers' Antioch establishment Station 51, which opened in 2021, albeit in a space four times the size.

https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20 ... rebranding
  • Post #94 - February 13th, 2023, 11:06 am
    Post #94 - February 13th, 2023, 11:06 am Post #94 - February 13th, 2023, 11:06 am
    Midwest’s First La Michoacana Plus Opens On 26th Street, Bringing Ice Cream, Paletas And More To Little Village

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/02/13 ... e-village/
  • Post #95 - February 13th, 2023, 11:44 am
    Post #95 - February 13th, 2023, 11:44 am Post #95 - February 13th, 2023, 11:44 am
    Midwest’s First La Michoacana Plus Opens On 26th Street, Bringing Ice Cream, Paletas And More To Little Village

As if these were not already there?

Heck we have a similar shop in Highland Park, believe it or not!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #96 - February 13th, 2023, 12:46 pm
    Post #96 - February 13th, 2023, 12:46 pm Post #96 - February 13th, 2023, 12:46 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

As if these were not already there?

Heck we have a similar shop in Highland Park, believe it or not!

Regards,
    Cathy2

As the article explains, this is part of a California chain as opposed to the scores of other "Michoacana" ice cream places which are effectively part of the "New York style bagel" marketing phenomenon. Or, more accurately, "Ray's original pizza."
  • Post #97 - February 13th, 2023, 1:03 pm
    Post #97 - February 13th, 2023, 1:03 pm Post #97 - February 13th, 2023, 1:03 pm
    This made me want to do a little more research on all of the different names and ran across the article. Thought the coney island locations was a great analogy

https://www.wbez.org/stories/la-michoac ... 32d314e1e7
  • Post #98 - February 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm
    Post #98 - February 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm Post #98 - February 13th, 2023, 11:44 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Boba, again? This was the "hot new thing" about 3 times already, dating back to the early 2000's.

Despite "boba" being in the name, they do have a bit more than just that, which is why I think this is a good thing. Their mini cakes are quite good and they have other items like coconut jelly desserts and mochi donuts. If they were just another boba place then I'd agree, but a little light research into them if you've never had them will show you that they have a number of cake/dessert items. They are more than just a place that serves milk/bubble tea.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #99 - February 14th, 2023, 8:18 am
    Post #99 - February 14th, 2023, 8:18 am Post #99 - February 14th, 2023, 8:18 am
    Still a trend that has never really broken through. When we first tried it in Hawaii a couple of decades back we thought it would become the hot new thing on the mainland and it did pop up here and there. Our kids would always stop at the stand in Mitsuwa's food court whenever we stopped in and there were a few scattered places in the area that seemed to stick around (like Tea Rex) but it's never had more than fringe appeal.
  • Post #100 - February 15th, 2023, 10:31 am
    Post #100 - February 15th, 2023, 10:31 am Post #100 - February 15th, 2023, 10:31 am
    Akahoshi Ramen the first brick and mortar by the Chicago famous social media persona as Ramen Lord (aka Mike Satinover).

Back in 2017, I wrote a few thousand words about how the best bowl of ramen in Chicago couldn’t be found in a restaurant. Instead, if you wanted to sample the most satisfying bowl of miso ramen in the area, you’d need to ask Mike Satinover, an amateur ramen obsessive, to make it for you.

After growing up in suburban Oak Park, Satinover fell hard for ramen while living in Sapporo, Japan, for a year during college. When he returned to the United States, he found all the ramen he tried lacking. While he spent his days working at a marketing data and analytics company, during his free time he devoted countless hours to understanding every intricacy of the dish. Eventually, he started sharing his results on Reddit, where he went by the username Ramen_Lord.

He gained such a following on Reddit that he started hosting ramen parties at his small condo. But no matter how many times people asked him, he was adamant he didn’t want to open a restaurant.

He has already signed the lease on a space at 2340 N. California Ave., and has hired Siren Betty, a popular firm behind the interiors of The California Clipper, Nine Bar and Giant (to name a few), to design the space. The room will seat about 50, with a six-seat counter facing an open kitchen, a few large booths and a massive communal table that can fit almost 20.

The slim menu will feature four to five bowls of ramen and two or three rice dishes. He’s still tinkering with the official lineup, but you can be sure his miso ramen will make the cut. “The miso ramen will exist forever,” Satinover said. “And I’ll probably serve a shoyu and a tonkotsu. I’ll probably have two soupless styles of ramen because I think Chicago doesn’t know how great those can be.” As for the rice dishes, he’s hoping to serve a chashu don, featuring fatty pork, and an ikura don, which is topped with salmon roe.

He’ll need some specialized equipment to do so, including a $40,000 noodle-making machine that’s currently resting in his living room. (Follow him on Instagram if you want to see his adventures with that piece of equipment.)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html

Akahoshi Ramen
    2340 N. California Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    https://www.akahoshiramen.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/ramen__lord/
  • Post #101 - February 17th, 2023, 3:59 pm
    Post #101 - February 17th, 2023, 3:59 pm Post #101 - February 17th, 2023, 3:59 pm
    In Evanston..
    A vegan restaurant, Soli Grill, is coming to Bat 17 at 1709 Benson Ave.
    https://evanstonroundtable.com/2023/02/ ... staurants/
  • Post #102 - February 17th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    Post #102 - February 17th, 2023, 8:31 pm Post #102 - February 17th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    polster wrote:Akahoshi Ramen the first brick and mortar by the Chicago famous social media persona as Ramen Lord (aka Mike Satinover).

Back in 2017, I wrote a few thousand words about how the best bowl of ramen in Chicago couldn’t be found in a restaurant. Instead, if you wanted to sample the most satisfying bowl of miso ramen in the area, you’d need to ask Mike Satinover, an amateur ramen obsessive, to make it for you.

After growing up in suburban Oak Park, Satinover fell hard for ramen while living in Sapporo, Japan, for a year during college. When he returned to the United States, he found all the ramen he tried lacking. While he spent his days working at a marketing data and analytics company, during his free time he devoted countless hours to understanding every intricacy of the dish. Eventually, he started sharing his results on Reddit, where he went by the username Ramen_Lord.

He gained such a following on Reddit that he started hosting ramen parties at his small condo. But no matter how many times people asked him, he was adamant he didn’t want to open a restaurant.

He has already signed the lease on a space at 2340 N. California Ave., and has hired Siren Betty, a popular firm behind the interiors of The California Clipper, Nine Bar and Giant (to name a few), to design the space. The room will seat about 50, with a six-seat counter facing an open kitchen, a few large booths and a massive communal table that can fit almost 20.

The slim menu will feature four to five bowls of ramen and two or three rice dishes. He’s still tinkering with the official lineup, but you can be sure his miso ramen will make the cut. “The miso ramen will exist forever,” Satinover said. “And I’ll probably serve a shoyu and a tonkotsu. I’ll probably have two soupless styles of ramen because I think Chicago doesn’t know how great those can be.” As for the rice dishes, he’s hoping to serve a chashu don, featuring fatty pork, and an ikura don, which is topped with salmon roe.

He’ll need some specialized equipment to do so, including a $40,000 noodle-making machine that’s currently resting in his living room. (Follow him on Instagram if you want to see his adventures with that piece of equipment.)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html

Akahoshi Ramen
    2340 N. California Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    https://www.akahoshiramen.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/ramen__lord/

Oh this is exciting. I was convinced that guy would never, ever make a restaurant. Guess he can even be convinced otherwise.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #103 - February 18th, 2023, 8:42 am
    Post #103 - February 18th, 2023, 8:42 am Post #103 - February 18th, 2023, 8:42 am
    Chez Moi just sent out an email announcing that they will be closing their doors after service on April 1st. Sad to see it go, been one of our favorites since it opened.

Chez Moi
    2100 N Halsted St
    Chicago, IL 60614
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #104 - February 19th, 2023, 8:23 pm
    Post #104 - February 19th, 2023, 8:23 pm Post #104 - February 19th, 2023, 8:23 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Still a trend that has never really broken through. When we first tried it in Hawaii a couple of decades back we thought it would become the hot new thing on the mainland and it did pop up here and there. Our kids would always stop at the stand in Mitsuwa's food court whenever we stopped in and there were a few scattered places in the area that seemed to stick around (like Tea Rex) but it's never had more than fringe appeal.

Um, what? It’s a multi-billion dollar industry; there are multiple boba shops in Lakeview, Evanston, et al. It broke through; it is permanent.
  • Post #105 - February 19th, 2023, 10:19 pm
    Post #105 - February 19th, 2023, 10:19 pm Post #105 - February 19th, 2023, 10:19 pm
    Bliss Resto at 1522 W Montrose Ave, in the old El Maya location, has papered over the windows and a “For Lease” is sign out front. They offered Thai and Japanese dishes and struggled mightily to make it work.
  • Post #106 - February 19th, 2023, 11:18 pm
    Post #106 - February 19th, 2023, 11:18 pm Post #106 - February 19th, 2023, 11:18 pm
    chezbrad wrote:Um, what? It’s a multi-billion dollar industry; there are multiple boba shops in Lakeview, Evanston, et al. It broke through; it is permanent.

Billions globally, primarily in Asia where it's had a foothold for decades. In the states it has ebbed and flowed over the past two decades, as many shops close as they open.
  • Post #107 - February 20th, 2023, 8:49 am
    Post #107 - February 20th, 2023, 8:49 am Post #107 - February 20th, 2023, 8:49 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    chezbrad wrote:Um, what? It’s a multi-billion dollar industry; there are multiple boba shops in Lakeview, Evanston, et al. It broke through; it is permanent.

Billions globally, primarily in Asia where it's had a foothold for decades. In the states it has ebbed and flowed over the past two decades, as many shops close as they open.

Yeah, that's just wrong. 30 seconds on Google will take you to any number of industry reports that make clear the boba industry has consistently grown in the US and is quite large. Hell, Baskin Robbins had it last summer and Peet's has added a permanent menu item (sugar jelly) that's openly boba-inspired.
  • Post #108 - February 20th, 2023, 10:16 am
    Post #108 - February 20th, 2023, 10:16 am Post #108 - February 20th, 2023, 10:16 am
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Yeah, that's just wrong. 30 seconds on Google will take you to any number of industry reports that make clear the boba industry has consistently grown in the US and is quite large. Hell, Baskin Robbins had it last summer and Peet's has added a permanent menu item (sugar jelly) that's openly boba-inspired.

Again, I'm not disputing its current popularity, just noting that we've been here before. It has remained wildly popular abroad but has had waves of popularity here over the last 20 years. It seemed like they were opening all over the place when my kids were teens (well over a decade back) but then a number of those locations closed. I'm just noting that it seems to be coming back again but, as I said, we have been here before.
  • Post #109 - February 20th, 2023, 11:17 am
    Post #109 - February 20th, 2023, 11:17 am Post #109 - February 20th, 2023, 11:17 am
    Boba tea intermission: The tea became known as boba because the term is slang for breasts in Chinese (a reference the spherical shape of the tapioca balls).. I had originally heard the tapioca balls were call boba as that was slang for nipple, but Food and Wine disagrees.

My favorite Chinese milk tea is Chiu Quon Bakery on Argyle's milk tea. No boba, but hot/strong/lightly sweet, milky and delicious.

Now back to your regularly scheduled 246 toothpicks on the floor.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #110 - February 20th, 2023, 11:42 am
    Post #110 - February 20th, 2023, 11:42 am Post #110 - February 20th, 2023, 11:42 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Yeah, that's just wrong. 30 seconds on Google will take you to any number of industry reports that make clear the boba industry has consistently grown in the US and is quite large. Hell, Baskin Robbins had it last summer and Peet's has added a permanent menu item (sugar jelly) that's openly boba-inspired.

Again, I'm not disputing its current popularity, just noting that we've been here before. It has remained wildly popular abroad but has had waves of popularity here over the last 20 years. It seemed like they were opening all over the place when my kids were teens (well over a decade back) but then a number of those locations closed. I'm just noting that it seems to be coming back again but, as I said, we have been here before.

It's been back for the last 5 years, however. This isn't a 2022 or 2023 thing. It's a 2016 or 2017 thing, and on. Personally I think there's too many of them in some areas, but north side probably isn't there yet.

And Te'Amo, again, serves much more than just drinks. If it was just another boba shop (there is one, Uni Uni, right down the street from where one is opening in Lincoln Park) then I really wouldn't care. But the ability to get the cakes and some other items that have become popular in Asia and some of these chains is something to celebrate. The cakes usually have a few non standard (for the US) flavors and are a good level of sweetness that isn't overpowering. This is actually what sets Te'Amo apart from other bubble/milk tea chains is the actual non-drink dessert items they have.
  • Post #111 - February 20th, 2023, 1:51 pm
    Post #111 - February 20th, 2023, 1:51 pm Post #111 - February 20th, 2023, 1:51 pm
    The Westfield Old Orchard outpost of Capital Grille is opening on March 10th. It's at the northeast corner of the shopping center.
  • Post #112 - February 20th, 2023, 4:51 pm
    Post #112 - February 20th, 2023, 4:51 pm Post #112 - February 20th, 2023, 4:51 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Boba tea intermission: The tea became known as boba because the term is slang for breasts in Chinese (a reference the spherical shape of the tapioca balls).. I had originally heard the tapioca balls were call boba as that was slang for nipple, but Food and Wine disagrees.

My favorite Chinese milk tea is Chiu Quon Bakery on Argyle's milk tea. No boba, but hot/strong/lightly sweet, milky and delicious.

Now back to your regularly scheduled 246 toothpicks on the floor.

Hopefully sometime updated board software will record how much I loved this post.
  • Post #113 - February 21st, 2023, 5:40 pm
    Post #113 - February 21st, 2023, 5:40 pm Post #113 - February 21st, 2023, 5:40 pm
    Well I know where I'm going to be this summer:

https://secretchicago.com/west-loop-guinness-taproom/
  • Post #114 - February 21st, 2023, 7:13 pm
    Post #114 - February 21st, 2023, 7:13 pm Post #114 - February 21st, 2023, 7:13 pm
    excelsior wrote:Walking home from Old Town School last night, saw that Boonie's Filipino Restaurant was coming soon to 4337 N. Western.

Eater on opening.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2023/2/21/236 ... oln-square

If the chef Joe Fontelera looks familiar, as he did to me, he was on Chopped about 10 months ago. Was the runner-up.
  • Post #115 - February 21st, 2023, 10:13 pm
    Post #115 - February 21st, 2023, 10:13 pm Post #115 - February 21st, 2023, 10:13 pm
    Note that Boonie's is in North Center, not Lincoln Square. Eater's poor grasp of community boundaries strikes again.
  • Post #116 - February 22nd, 2023, 9:00 am
    Post #116 - February 22nd, 2023, 9:00 am Post #116 - February 22nd, 2023, 9:00 am
    ekreider wrote:Note that Boonie's is in North Center, not Lincoln Square. Eater's poor grasp of community boundaries strikes again.

I'd like to point out that the article never specifically references that this restaurant is in a certain community area. Lincoln Square is used by many, including myself, to denote the neighborhood that Boonie's has opened in.
  • Post #117 - February 22nd, 2023, 10:34 am
    Post #117 - February 22nd, 2023, 10:34 am Post #117 - February 22nd, 2023, 10:34 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    ekreider wrote:Note that Boonie's is in North Center, not Lincoln Square. Eater's poor grasp of community boundaries strikes again.
    I'd like to point out that the article never specifically references that this restaurant is in a certain community area. Lincoln Square is used by many, including myself, to denote the neighborhood that Boonie's has opened in.
    I think the primary cause of using "Lincoln Square" instead of the strict community area has to do with the restaurant itself preferring the former for branding purposes. The Crab Pad restaurant in the space listed itself as the Lincoln Square location. Eater isn't an adversarial critic of restaurants, they're a collaborative PR enterprise. Pivoting to a geographic authority role would be inconsistent with the mission. If a restaurant formally in Lincoln Square preferred North Center, they'd go with the restaurant's preference.
  • Post #118 - February 22nd, 2023, 10:57 am
    Post #118 - February 22nd, 2023, 10:57 am Post #118 - February 22nd, 2023, 10:57 am
    bweiny wrote:Eater isn't an adversarial critic of restaurants, they're a collaborative PR enterprise. Pivoting to a geographic authority role would be inconsistent with the mission. If a restaurant formally in Lincoln Square preferred North Center, they'd go with the restaurant's preference.

Eater has been known to refer to restaurants in Uptown as being North Lakeview. They are as accurate as any number of upscale real estate agencies in defining neighborhood boundaries.
  • Post #119 - February 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm
    Post #119 - February 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm Post #119 - February 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:

Not to belabor the point but while Eater (and other similar sites) does often play fast and loose with neighborhood names, Boonie's is a few blocks from the Western Brown line station and the Lincoln Square business district. It's not nearly as close to the heart of North Center, which has always been pretty clearly defined as the Lincoln/Damen/Irving Park intersection. Or in more practical terms, Boonie's works better as a pre-show meal before walking over to the Old Town School or Davis Theater vs. somewhere like Martyrs.
  • Post #120 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:45 pm
    Post #120 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:45 pm Post #120 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:45 pm
    Trib had a nice article on Soule's new Lawndale location with one annoying bit: https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/r ... story.html

Owner Bridgette Flagg is quoted in the 5th paragraph: "I don't like calling myself a chef..." Journalist Chu then proceeds to label Flagg a chef at least a half dozen times.

Comparing pics of the restaurant to the Google Street View of the site from 2021 is astounding.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more