LTH Home

Kim's Uncle Pizza - Westmont Tavern Thin Crust

Kim's Uncle Pizza - Westmont Tavern Thin Crust
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kim's Uncle Pizza - Westmont Tavern Thin Crust

Post #1 - August 9th, 2022, 10:11 am
    Post #1 - August 9th, 2022, 10:11 am Post #1 - August 9th, 2022, 10:11 am
    From the folks who own Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream in Bridgeport, Kim's Uncle Pizza has been open a couple weeks - and it is now IMHO the best pizza in the area. Their one size only (16") tavern thin crust bakes in a 1954 Fauld's oven. They cold ferment their dough. Cracker thin with great texture, a minimalist sprinkling of cheese, and zesty sauce, I would have no problem ordering a plain cheese pizza...something I have only done a handful of times. No sausage on my pizza? This pizza could actually help me lose weight!

https://www.eatfreepizza.com/new-page

Kim's Uncle Pizza
    207 N Cass Ave.
    Westmont, IL 60559
  • Post #2 - August 9th, 2022, 5:35 pm
    Post #2 - August 9th, 2022, 5:35 pm Post #2 - August 9th, 2022, 5:35 pm
    rober wrote:From the folks who own Pizza Fried Chicken Ice Cream in Bridgeport, Kim's Uncle Pizza has been open a couple weeks - and it is now IMHO the best pizza in the area. Their one size only (16") tavern thin crust bakes in a 1954 Fauld's oven. They cold ferment their dough. Cracker thin with great texture, a minimalist sprinkling of cheese, and zesty sauce, I would have no problem ordering a plain cheese pizza...something I have only done a handful of times. No sausage on my pizza? This pizza could actually help me lose weight!

https://www.eatfreepizza.com/new-page

Kim's Uncle Pizza
    207 N Cass Ave.
    Westmont, IL 60559

Just reporting that link is safe, and, still, the most suspicious non-spam URL I have ever seen, as if coded by Wile E. Coyote.

Pizza looks great and will be on my shortlist. Thanks for sharing.
  • Post #3 - August 17th, 2022, 6:19 am
    Post #3 - August 17th, 2022, 6:19 am Post #3 - August 17th, 2022, 6:19 am
    “The last owner, not the original owner, was a Korean woman named Kim,” said Cecily Federighi, one of the new owners. “She had been running the restaurant basically by herself for the last few years, through COVID and everything, and was just ready to retire.”

Kim Sinclair originally bought the business in 1971. She’s lifelong friends with fellow Korean American woman business owner Maria Marszewski, the namesake and founder of Maria’s Packaged Goods and Community Bar. Her son, Ed Marszewski, the Bridgeport-based entrepreneur, worked as a teenager at Uncle Pete’s, which he bought with E.F. Pizza in late 2020. The brand once known as Eat Free Pizza was created by Federighi, her husband Billy Federighi, and their business partner Brad Shorten.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - August 19th, 2022, 11:27 pm
    Post #4 - August 19th, 2022, 11:27 pm Post #4 - August 19th, 2022, 11:27 pm
    rober wrote:I would have no problem ordering a plain cheese pizza...something I have only done a handful of times. No sausage on my pizza? This pizza could actually help me lose weight!
    I've wanted to try PFCIC for a while but haven't been able to. I should have an easier time getting to Kim's Uncle. By the way, you actually will have a much better chance to lose weight if you do have the sausage (extra even) and go easy or no cheese on your pizzas. Although it's the dough that is the bigger problem. :wink:
  • Post #5 - September 18th, 2022, 9:42 pm
    Post #5 - September 18th, 2022, 9:42 pm Post #5 - September 18th, 2022, 9:42 pm
    I really wanted to like this pizza in light of Louisa Chu’s rave review. However, we were disappointed.

Let me first state that I’m an East Coaster and not the greatest fan of Chicago tavern-style thin crust pizza. However, I have eaten enough of it to know good pies from bad. The crust was much too crackery - it reminded me more of a large fried and flavorless flour tortilla than any sort of pizza crust. The sauce was too cloyingly sweet for my palate. Nevertheless, the sausage was tasty.

Maybe this was an off night. I’m willing to give them one more try.
  • Post #6 - October 4th, 2022, 8:35 pm
    Post #6 - October 4th, 2022, 8:35 pm Post #6 - October 4th, 2022, 8:35 pm
    I was able to try Kim's Uncle on Saturday on my way into town from Colorado. I picked it up around 8:30 and there was no wait. I was told their little Fauld's rotating oven is at it's best when they are not too busy so if you can order early or late your pizza will be optimal.

The crackery crust was super thin which I loved. I was told that the overall flavor was a little different to typical Chicago thin pizza and that was true but I even more surprised at how spicy it was. I don't mind a little heat but anymore would have been a bit too much. The sausage was a little different but very good. I like that they automatically cook the pizza on the well done side. Overall I was impressed and would definitely go back.
  • Post #7 - April 6th, 2023, 1:33 pm
    Post #7 - April 6th, 2023, 1:33 pm Post #7 - April 6th, 2023, 1:33 pm
    This place is great; one of the best thin crust/tavern cut pizzas in Chicagoland. If I lived close by, I'd go routinely.

The quality of toppings may be unmatched in any pizzeria serving this style. We had three pizzas - mushroom, sausage/giardiniera, and soppressata/garlic/Mike's hot honey. All were great and generously applied. The mozzarella seemed to be the standard low moisture stuff you'll find anywhere but the grated parm on top was a nice touch.

The sauce is a fantastic, rich tomato sauce with a big umami punch. Like the toppings, there was plenty of it.

This isn't a style of pizza where the flavor of the crust matters, but the texture is fantastic - crisp but not too crunchy or crumbly. The downside - they're popular and they sell out sometimes. If you're making the trek from far away, make sure you call the day you want your pizza. They seem to start answering the phones around 3:00.

This is the tl;dr version of my post at the Chicago Pizza Club.

Also, the restaurant has a new website. Or at least newer than it did when they first opened. It's unclepizzawestmont.com.
  • Post #8 - April 6th, 2023, 2:39 pm
    Post #8 - April 6th, 2023, 2:39 pm Post #8 - April 6th, 2023, 2:39 pm
    Great review and photos.

This line is applicable to way too many damn places for me.
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:If I lived close by, I'd go routinely.
  • Post #9 - April 6th, 2023, 2:53 pm
    Post #9 - April 6th, 2023, 2:53 pm Post #9 - April 6th, 2023, 2:53 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:This place is great; one of the best thin crust/tavern cut pizzas in Chicagoland. If I lived close by, I'd go routinely.

Thanks! With images like those, you didn't even need the words. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #10 - April 6th, 2023, 3:05 pm
    Post #10 - April 6th, 2023, 3:05 pm Post #10 - April 6th, 2023, 3:05 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:This place is great; one of the best thin crust/tavern cut pizzas in Chicagoland. If I lived close by, I'd go routinely.

Thanks! With images like those, you didn't even need the words. :)

=R=
    You and Pizza Boy™ should go for another viewpoint report.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #11 - October 5th, 2023, 10:12 am
    Post #11 - October 5th, 2023, 10:12 am Post #11 - October 5th, 2023, 10:12 am
    I posted upthread about how I was disappointed with this pizzeria. However, since reading mentions of Kim’s Uncle in the national media, I’ve been back twice and really loved the pizza.

Granted, I prefer East Coast-style thin crust, but the pies I ordered most recently were amazing. The crusts were perfectly crispy and flavorful, and it’s not like the crackery and bland matzoh-like crusts of other tavern-style pies.

Here’s a write-up by Kenji Lopez-Alt that appeared in The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/17/dini ... icago.html

Here’s an article in The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... ern-style/
  • Post #12 - October 5th, 2023, 3:01 pm
    Post #12 - October 5th, 2023, 3:01 pm Post #12 - October 5th, 2023, 3:01 pm
    ld111134 wrote:Here’s an article in The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... ern-style/
    From the Washington Post article by Amy Cavanaugh
    Other locals, such as Steve Dolinsky, author of two books about Chicago pizza, say that Chicago pizza is all the styles that were created here, so deep dish (and pan, which he considers a subcategory of deep dish), stuffed and tavern style.
    Am I the only one who thinks Dolinsky has it backwards? Deep dish, to me, is the subcategory of the larger pan pizza division, not vice-versa.
  • Post #13 - October 5th, 2023, 4:07 pm
    Post #13 - October 5th, 2023, 4:07 pm Post #13 - October 5th, 2023, 4:07 pm
    bweiny wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Dolinsky has it backwards? Deep dish, to me, is the subcategory of the larger pan pizza division, not vice-versa.

I'm no pizza historian but agree with this. Pan pizza has existed in some form for hundreds (if not thousands) of years. Many would label the "authentic" (a word I think has lost all real meaning in pizza discussions) rectangular version of pan pizza as Sicilian-style. Detroit style pizza is certainly a variant, and Chicago "pan" pizza takes the general concept and transfers it to a round pan vs a sheet pan. So yes, deep dish and stuffed pizzas are later descendants of the same basic pan concept.

Was about to use the abbreviation "IMO" here, which reminds me that the Kim's Uncle pics above remind me more of St. Louis-style pizza than anything I've seen in Chicago. I'm not actually an Imo's fan (too heavy on the provel cheese) but other St Louis joints make some incredible ULTRA-thin and crispy crust pies. Looking forward to trying Kim's Uncle when I can make the trek out there!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more