LTH Home

Yasotorn Thai Cuisine - Evanston

Yasotorn Thai Cuisine - Evanston
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Yasotorn Thai Cuisine - Evanston

Post #1 - January 14th, 2022, 4:17 pm
    Post #1 - January 14th, 2022, 4:17 pm Post #1 - January 14th, 2022, 4:17 pm
    (From 2021 O&C's)
    nr706 wrote:Opened Tuesday 10/12 in the old Siam Pasta location. (Note the rooftop space.) Visited Friday.

Yasotorn Thai Cuisine
    809 Dempster St.
    Evanston
    Bumping this from two months ago. I didn't let this sink in and came across it on Google maps and wondered how the hell LTH missed it. The unsurprising answer is they didn't. I should've gotten here sooner nr706 (Tom?). If anybody has been, let me know, I'll be trying it out within a week.
    Took me a little more than a week, but I got carry-out from Yasotorn last night. I faired better than nr706. Seemed like a common complaint online was flavors not being intense enough. I asked for extra spicy on the "Spicy Basil Leaves" chicken entree. They responded "Thai hot?" and I eagerly approved. It was equivalent to the 4-5 on Aroy's scale that I was looking for. That's tougher to find around here than you'd think, so I was impressed. Tiger Cry was also nice and tender as an appetizer. More vetting to do, but offering actual heat is a strength that can't be ignored.
  • Post #2 - September 6th, 2022, 2:45 pm
    Post #2 - September 6th, 2022, 2:45 pm Post #2 - September 6th, 2022, 2:45 pm
    It was nice to see everyone at lunch today.

The rooftop patio was lovely.
    Here's what we ate:

Baby Egg Rolls - Thai Seasoned Ground Chicken, Ground Shrimps, Clear Noodles, and Fresh Garlic
    Yasotorn Duck Salad - Most famous Duck salad Yasotorn Style, red onion, mint leaves, lime juice, roasted ground rice topped with crispy deep fried duck skin
    Cry Tiger - Most famous Grilled Marinated Thai style Steak served with house sauce
    Panang Curry - Panang curry, red pepper in coconut milk topped with Basil leave, with optional chicken added
    Lard Nar - Wide rice noodles topped with broccoli in house gravy sauce, with optional shrimp added
    Hoi Tod - Crispy fried New Zealand mussel pancake, egg, green onion, bean sprouts and cilantro
    Rice Berry Rice (not photographed)

The panang curry was my favorite dish!
  • Post #3 - September 6th, 2022, 3:51 pm
    Post #3 - September 6th, 2022, 3:51 pm Post #3 - September 6th, 2022, 3:51 pm
    Appreciate the photos with menu description, but would like to hear some opinions on how the food was. Better or worse than expected? Etc.
  • Post #4 - September 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm
    Post #4 - September 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm Post #4 - September 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm
    bweiny wrote:Appreciate the photos with menu description, but would like to hear some opinions on how the food was. Better or worse than expected? Etc.

Speaking for myself only, I thought the panang was delicious, although it could have used a bit more chicken. The other dishes... I didn't dislike anything, but nothing else really wowed me, either. There were dishes on the menu I typically get, but didn't this time (tom kha gai, which we didn't get because soup is not easy to share, pad thai, which we didn't get because we got another noodle dish, and chicken satay, which one of us said wasn't great on a previous visit). So I'm not sure whether I was underwhelmed because the food was just okay, or because these weren't my favorite dishes.
  • Post #5 - September 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Post #5 - September 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm Post #5 - September 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Best part was the open air rooftop patio, if you could ignore the occasional train rolling by, and a bit of street traffic. That’s a nitpick. Yasotorn won’t outrank some of the best Thai places around, but it’s not bad … and I don’t know of any closer (to me) Thai places with a rooftop patio.

Lad Nar — my fault for suggesting it. The broccoli had a nice crunch, but the noodles might have been slightly overcooked. More importantly, the gravy was fairly sweet; it could have used some acid, or even fish sauce, to balance the sweetness. It wasn’t bad by any means, but the word “meh” comes to mind. It was okay.

Panang Curry was my favorite dish — especially over the slightly chewy rice berry rice (which was easy to incorrectly identify as “raspberry rice”).

Cry Tiger was also another dish I’d happily order again.
  • Post #6 - September 8th, 2022, 5:29 am
    Post #6 - September 8th, 2022, 5:29 am Post #6 - September 8th, 2022, 5:29 am
    Quick note regarding train noise - I never heard any L trains, despite the nearby L station. Only the passing Metra trains were loud enough to interrupt conversation.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more