LTH Home

HD Cuisine 'Authentic Street Food' Wheeling

HD Cuisine 'Authentic Street Food' Wheeling
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 17th, 2022, 10:36 am
    Post #31 - June 17th, 2022, 10:36 am Post #31 - June 17th, 2022, 10:36 am
    There are a few things that are signals that a restaurant needs a little more traffic. In the case of HD Cuisine, it is their advertising on the register tape at my local (Arlington Heights) Jewel. So either go to HD just to show support for their dandy food or buy something at Jewel so you have a register tape with the little ad. The discount offered is $3 off $20 purchase of $5 off $30. Want to keep this place alive!
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #32 - August 15th, 2022, 6:27 am
    Post #32 - August 15th, 2022, 6:27 am Post #32 - August 15th, 2022, 6:27 am
    Merle and I did our part to support HD on Saturday night. We made a meal out of pot stickers, Chinese pancakes, and spare ribs.

It was just us and another couple from about 5pm-6pm. Heaven's BBQ on Earth in the same strip mall in the O & C thread is far from opening based on my observation peeking through the window.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #33 - September 21st, 2022, 8:31 am
    Post #33 - September 21st, 2022, 8:31 am Post #33 - September 21st, 2022, 8:31 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:... and it wasn't too long before Lyn saw how much we ordered and pulled a second table over for us.
    Lyn was very active last night, she hails from Penang. She was a pleasure and ensured our table was well taken care of.

Last night was almost a true hawker like experience as the weather was warm/humid, there were warm rain showers yet all of us were dry while sitting outside as we were tucked under the wide, covered pedestrian walkway of the stripmall. Lyn was very proactive setting out tables for additional customers, Loved the experience!

Our table consisted of frequent fliers/travelers most of whom have been to Malaysia.
    We found hits & misses with the items served.

Chicken satay was very good

Roti was ok, the curry is far better at "nearby" Penang in Rolling Meadows

Murtabak was very good, tasty. The cup of curried dal served with was excellent!

Beef Rendeng was well spiced but beef was not tender at all, extremely tough

Ayam Masak Merah - loved the sauce but chicken was very tough, dry

Nasi Lemak - overcooked chicken, tough, dry

Char Koay Teow (we requested shrimp) was outstanding

The restaurant was slammed with takeout and 14 folks eating outside. I'm guessing that this had an effect on food quality.
    polster wrote:I recommend next time you go to HD Cuisine if you like it spicy to ask for their homemade chili oil/hot sauce on the side which is very tasty as well.
    I had asked Lyn for this, she said they have homemade sambal which our group really enjoyed
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #34 - September 21st, 2022, 2:17 pm
    Post #34 - September 21st, 2022, 2:17 pm Post #34 - September 21st, 2022, 2:17 pm
    Are there any stellar, must-have, addictive dishes here?
    I have found everything at best pleasant.
  • Post #35 - April 23rd, 2023, 5:51 pm
    Post #35 - April 23rd, 2023, 5:51 pm Post #35 - April 23rd, 2023, 5:51 pm
    Lunch today:
    Egg rolls--crunch and light
    Beef Rendang -- melt in your mouth tender beef
    Malayan Ayam Masak Merah -- chicken with lots of onion, tomato, and spice -- standard version is with bones, but they offer boneless, as some people don't like bones -- we had the bones, as we don't mind picking up our food

Delightful people, eager to please. Hoping to get back again soon.

• Post #36 - June 5th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Post #36 - June 5th, 2023, 7:25 am Post #36 - June 5th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Roxy, Merle, and I stopped by HD on Saturday night. We ate outside and a made meal out of Satay Beef, Pork Potstickers, Pork Chinese Pancake, and my favorite Singapore Noodles. Great stuff as expected.

It was (I'm guessing) a slow night. We were the only ones dining in. Lyn hung out with us and was playing with Roxy.

While we were waiting for our food, I stuck my nose inside the recently opened Heaven's BBQ in the same strip mall. It smelled great. We'll be back for a visit without Roxy as they don't have outdoor seating.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #37 - August 20th, 2023, 1:23 pm
    Post #37 - August 20th, 2023, 1:23 pm Post #37 - August 20th, 2023, 1:23 pm
    I've had HD Cuisine 3 of the last 4 Saturday nights, and I don't have plans of stopping. It's kind of any annoying drive from Evanston (although better than it could be thanks to Dundee cruising) for just a walk in, then out, and straight back home. So what I've done is go to the District Brew Yards a mile north at Milwaukee/Lake Cook for 30-40 minutes in advance, and call HD just before leaving.

It's not for craft brew connoisseurs, but since it's a pour-your-own place, there's no delay at all in closing out. And they have a large patio since the weather has been good each Saturday night (got Sun Shui the other Saturday).

I was pleased to see how busy take-out was in their last half hour just after 9pm last night. The matriarch said I was part of 3-4 Hainan chicken orders all at once. That, nasi lemak with chicken rendang, and char koay teow are my go-to's. Don't get fooled into the sambal shrimp sauce with eggplant (shrimp added) though. Massive portion, but it sounded too good to be true because it was. This place is a gem.
  • Post #38 - October 22nd, 2023, 7:07 pm
    Post #38 - October 22nd, 2023, 7:07 pm Post #38 - October 22nd, 2023, 7:07 pm
    Lunch here with a friend today. It seems as though every time I go, we think we've had the best thing ever. That happened again today. The Panang lamb curry was very good, but the Hainan chicken (poached, not fried -- they have two versions) was celestial. Struck up a conversation with folks at the next table--from four different Asian countries -- and it was fun hearing them comment on how amazing the food was.

Did learn one thing from Lin -- the poached Hainan chicken is so time consuming, they only prepare 6 chickens a day (so 12 servings) -- and they sell out every day. It's their best seller.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more