LTH Home

Sakae Sushi Mount Prospect

Sakae Sushi Mount Prospect
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sakae Sushi Mount Prospect

Post #1 - June 18th, 2021, 2:55 pm
    Post #1 - June 18th, 2021, 2:55 pm Post #1 - June 18th, 2021, 2:55 pm
    A long-dead spot on River Road in the NE corner of Mount Prospect previously (10-15 years ago) held my favorite place for Tacos al Pastor. They'd been building it out, repaving, etc. for months before the whathaveyou set in, and had been in a holding pattern for more than a year. Finally, they opened and we tried them out Wednesday night -- I'm quite pleased.

(Note: From the logo and menu this appears to be a branch of a same-named restaurant on Clark in Chicago, although there's no indication on either place's websites of the other)

They did a very nice remodel -- this site is a former gas station, and the previous taco joint was very basic formica tables and tile.

For a tiny place, the menu is pretty extensive (but sadly no goma-ae -- I think Renga-Tei may be the only place still offering that Japanese classic). We started with a "Crunch Munch" roll (forgot to photograph), which had crab, shrimp, and bright green panko crunch. Tasty, good rice, but nothing really special.

Miso soup is complimentary (really! price on the menu says "Free", although not for carry-out). Seaweed, scallion, tofu. Surprisingly, they brought me out a bowl, even though I ordered ramen!

And very good ramen it was: the bowl (spicy tonkotsu) was loaded with nicely chewy noodles, pork, bean sprouts, pickled ginger and seaweed, and the spiciness grew as I ate it. There was a good cup and a half of broth left at the end (with a little bit of stuff), which I turned into lunch the following day.

SueF ordered the donkatsu (not the usual spelling), which (unlike Clark St) comes as a bento box with salad (cabbage and dressing with a lone grape tomato), 2 fried shumai, 4pc California roll, pickled ginger and rice. Nicely fried, tasty sauce.

Prices are very reasonable (see menu), service was friendly (and appropriately masked), food was delicious, we'll be back. I'd also recommend this as an LTH North lunch spot (one I'm certain I could get to and from in a reasonable lunch hour).

SAKAE SUSHI
    1440 N RIVER RD
    MT PROSPECT IL 60056
    Phone: (847) 813-6424
    Fax: (847) 813-6445
    https://www.sakaerestaurant.com/
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - June 18th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Post #2 - June 18th, 2021, 7:06 pm Post #2 - June 18th, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Noted - EC
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles