LTH Home

One Off Hospitality Subscription Supper Club

One Off Hospitality Subscription Supper Club
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 5th, 2021, 12:06 pm
    Post #31 - March 5th, 2021, 12:06 pm Post #31 - March 5th, 2021, 12:06 pm
    porkupine wrote:We had our 2nd meal of our 3 weeks supper club and I am super disappointed.
    2nd week was Big Star.. bbq. (we did not notice that). The quantity of food was barely enough for one person. For $55 we got a small chunk of cornbread that had little flavor, a wedge salad with 4 croutons, and a small peach cobbler.
    The chicken portion was laughably small in such a large container. I had to make a second dinner to complement. Definitely won't do this again, regardless of how good the next meal is. We had Roister/Alinea last weekend which was so much higher quality and quantity for almost half the price.

I feel like this is feedback they would welcome via an email or private message on social media.

We took a break from this to support other businesses and to avoid having to drive to Lakeview in bad weather on a Saturday evening. Given how the weather was in February, I made the right call. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #32 - March 5th, 2021, 1:11 pm
    Post #32 - March 5th, 2021, 1:11 pm Post #32 - March 5th, 2021, 1:11 pm
    We took some time off but we'll be back on with their 3-week March/April subscription. That said, I agree porkupine's assessment. Value would not be anywhere near the top of the list of adjectives I'd use to describe these subscriptions. But I'm very happy to support a group I've always appreciated, especially taking into account how robustly they pivoted to keep people employed during the pandemic.

I also agree with Mary that they'd probably welcome the feedback.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - March 5th, 2021, 3:26 pm
    Post #33 - March 5th, 2021, 3:26 pm Post #33 - March 5th, 2021, 3:26 pm
    What counts as a sufficient portion is of course highly subjective, but in my experience the amount of food you get tends to reflect the price point of the restaurant in question. So Publican's offerings were maybe a bit skimpy (though still sufficient, I thought), while we were knocked out (literally) by Dove's chicken-fried chicken and threw in the towel at PQM's brisket -- that ended up making two meals. That said, I'm now dreading the Big Star BBQ pick up next week, which is going to be the one mentioned above.

They are also limited by the fact that you're supposed to warm everything in the oven -- so basically braises and bakes (hence so much pork shoulder, short ribs, etc.) I probably don't need to point this out with this crowd, but some of the dishes come out much better reheated on the stovetop.

Avec's Moroccanish carrots over avocado was probably my favorite dish of the whole experience. Just a brilliant combination, and the most "cooking" I've had to do so far. (You get a whole avocado! And have to slice it up? I could have killed myself!!!)
  • Post #34 - March 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm
    Post #34 - March 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm Post #34 - March 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm
    The GP wrote:I feel like this is feedback they would welcome via an email or private message on social media.

We took a break from this to support other businesses and to avoid having to drive to Lakeview in bad weather on a Saturday evening. Given how the weather was in February, I made the right call. ;-)

I thought so too. I emailed them right away to let them know that we were disappointed. I got no answer or acknowledgement of the email. it was not a mean email or anything. I know they read emails because last week I had a questions about the meal and they replied within 10 minutes. I am not the type write a bad comment in a forum before contacting the owner first. Shit happens. But I do feel it is fair to warn others. I sure would have liked to know. The portion of the publican meal were fine. Not crazy big but absolutely enough for us.
  • Post #35 - March 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm
    Post #35 - March 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm Post #35 - March 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm
    Last night's pick-up, dinner from Dove's Luncheonette, was probably the best overall meal we've had in any of the One Off Supper Club series. The menu was great:

Pimento Cheese Spead
    -- Not my favorite version but very good, and better than last time we had it. This time it was sharper, more flavorful and not runny at all.

Gem Lettuce Salad with radicchio, radish, charred asparagus, dilly beans, queso blanco and jalapeno-green goddess dressing
    -- Not surprisingly, a well composed and executed salad. It was a nice mix of flavors and textures, and the dressing was great.

Chicken Fried Chicken with chorizo gravy, caramelized onions and sweet peas
    -- I consider this to be Dove's signature dish and I was really impressed by how well it traveled. Followed the simple reheating instructions and ended up with totally crispy chicken pieces, rich, creamy gravy and perfectly cooked onions and peas.

Horchata Bread Pudding
    -- I didn't have any of this but my family really loved it. One Off does push the horchata button pretty often but I know -- from previous experiences -- that they have their horchata formula/flavors dialed in pretty tightly.

So, a well-planned and balanced menu, food that traveled/reheated extremely well and notably large portions (e.g. salads were huge and chicken for 4 was 8 large pieces). When I sign up for these series, this is exactly what I'm hoping the outcome will be.

=R=
  • Post #36 - March 30th, 2021, 8:38 pm
    Post #36 - March 30th, 2021, 8:38 pm Post #36 - March 30th, 2021, 8:38 pm
    I also thought this was probably the best meal overall. Definitely a huge amount (we saved half of the chicken for the next day and were stuffed anyway). Not much to add to Ronnie's descriptions, except that the bread pudding was indeed pretty great, although I'm not sure what made it horchataey other than the cinnamon whipped cream.

Last week's offering from PQM was also quite good, especially the pork terrine with candied pistachios and frisée -- just an excellent interplay of flavors and textures. Also enjoyed (a big portion! of) their ever-delightful kale salad; the main (Italian sausage with peppers and potatoes, although I swear we got two different kinds of sausage) was maybe less exciting, though still well executed.

I wonder if the program is ending. This is supposed to be the last week of the current subscription and no future ones have been announced.
  • Post #37 - March 30th, 2021, 10:58 pm
    Post #37 - March 30th, 2021, 10:58 pm Post #37 - March 30th, 2021, 10:58 pm
    cilantro wrote:Not much to add to Ronnie's descriptions, except that the bread pudding was indeed pretty great, although I'm not sure what made it horchataey other than the cinnamon whipped cream.

I doubled back and tried this next day. I agree that it wasn't very "horchataey" but what I liked most about it was how restrained the sweetness was. I realize that may have been a strike against it for others, though. Iirc, not even the cinnamon whipped cream was sweetened.

cilantro wrote:I wonder if the program is ending. This is supposed to be the last week of the current subscription and no future ones have been announced.

I wondered the same thing, for the exact same reason. I'm going to try to remember to ask when I make my pickup later this week. Even though I haven't loved every installment, these series have become a mini tradition for us and I'll miss them.

=R=
  • Post #38 - April 2nd, 2021, 4:48 pm
    Post #38 - April 2nd, 2021, 4:48 pm Post #38 - April 2nd, 2021, 4:48 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    cilantro wrote:I wonder if the program is ending. This is supposed to be the last week of the current subscription and no future ones have been announced.
    I wondered the same thing, for the exact same reason. I'm going to try to remember to ask when I make my pickup later this week. Even though I haven't loved every installment, these series have become a mini tradition for us and I'll miss them.

I asked about this when I picked up tonight and was told that there will be about a one-month break. The satellite pick-up program has been primarily staffed by employees who have recently begun returning to their (previous) jobs in the restaurants. So, new staff needs to be hired and trained to replace them. They plan to be back in action by early May.

=R=
  • Post #39 - April 2nd, 2021, 5:03 pm
    Post #39 - April 2nd, 2021, 5:03 pm Post #39 - April 2nd, 2021, 5:03 pm
    Thanks, just heard the same. Maybe this explains the DGAF reheating instructions this week -- broil the crostini, pan fry the potatoes, then pop into the oven, quarter a chicken -- definitely much more active than in weeks past.

Chicken roasting as we speak!
  • Post #40 - April 2nd, 2021, 5:59 pm
    Post #40 - April 2nd, 2021, 5:59 pm Post #40 - April 2nd, 2021, 5:59 pm
    cilantro wrote:Thanks, just heard the same. Maybe this explains the DGAF reheating instructions this week -- broil the crostini, pan fry the potatoes, then pop into the oven, quarter a chicken -- definitely much more active than in weeks past.

Chicken roasting as we speak!

Haha, yeah. It was quite a ballet tonight.

=R=
  • Post #41 - April 19th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Post #41 - April 19th, 2021, 3:29 pm Post #41 - April 19th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Just got the email from Tock about the latest subscription, and I'm not impressed. Except maybe for the salad dressings and maybe a dessert, it's all reruns: (Northbrook Friday drop-off menu)
    Week 1: Publican. Buttermilk poppyseed vinaigrette little gem salad; pub chicken with roasted potatoes (not even the summer sausage?); BBQ carrots; butterscotch pudding
    Week 2: Dove's. Pimento cheese; salad with jalapeno green green goddess; chicken fried chicken; tres leches cake (this is the one meal not on my November subscription)
    Week 3: Big Star: Queso Fundido; Al Pastor and Pollo tacos; Horchata rice crispie treats

I imagine it's partly "make what sells" but there's not enough exciting here to jump again.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #42 - April 20th, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #42 - April 20th, 2021, 9:53 am Post #42 - April 20th, 2021, 9:53 am
    They also eliminated the Lakeview pick-up on Saturdays. Which makes total sense given that things are starting to open up around there.
    -Mary
  • Post #43 - April 20th, 2021, 10:11 am
    Post #43 - April 20th, 2021, 10:11 am Post #43 - April 20th, 2021, 10:11 am
    The GP wrote:They also eliminated the Lakeview pick-up on Saturdays. Which makes total sense given that things are starting to open up around there.

I wonder if that had more to do with the Cubs season restarting since wasn't the pick up location at Big Star across from Wrigley Field?
  • Post #44 - April 20th, 2021, 1:51 pm
    Post #44 - April 20th, 2021, 1:51 pm Post #44 - April 20th, 2021, 1:51 pm
    lodasi wrote:
    The GP wrote:They also eliminated the Lakeview pick-up on Saturdays. Which makes total sense given that things are starting to open up around there.

I wonder if that had more to do with the Cubs season restarting since wasn't the pick up location at Big Star across from Wrigley Field?

Yup. all part of the opening up around there. :wink:
    -Mary
  • Post #45 - August 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm
    Post #45 - August 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm Post #45 - August 9th, 2021, 12:54 pm
    It had been a while, so I figured these were dead but emails I received this morning indicated that at least a few a of the suburban Supper Clubs will resume later this month.

=R=
  • Post #46 - August 9th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    Post #46 - August 9th, 2021, 2:36 pm Post #46 - August 9th, 2021, 2:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It had been a while, so I figured these were dead but emails I received this morning indicated that at least a few a of the suburban Supper Clubs will resume later this month.

=R=

Could be in anticipation of another set of lockdowns diminishing in-person dining.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more