LTH Home

Paik's Noodle in Glenview

Paik's Noodle in Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Paik's Noodle in Glenview

Post #1 - October 8th, 2019, 8:02 am
    Post #1 - October 8th, 2019, 8:02 am Post #1 - October 8th, 2019, 8:02 am
    I don't know much about Korean food.
    I know they know their way around frying a yardbird, that's for sure.
    I also know that my Asian friends say when Korean ppl say "hot&spicy," in general, they MEAN it.
    I also know they supposedly make mean soups.
    I also know that I've stated on many occasion, that a combination of rice, kimchi, and kahlbi, might be the single greatest bite of food in the universe.

So, in a nutshell, that's my limited knowledge of Korean food.

Those of you in the Glenview area, that dig squid, pork, noodles and spicy soup, I have a suggestion for you:

Jjamppong, at Paik's Noodle in Glenview. Get an order of Hong Kong Wings, too.

The fried dumplings are better than ok, but not enthralling. The order I had made me think of a Mcdonald's apple pie crust (fried, and crispy and bubbly.) The innards were tasty enough, nowhere near bad or anything, but the crusts on the two bite dumplings, just made me think, "McDumpling." I wouldn't get them again, but I completely wouldn't NOT put them in my face - they weren't bad.

This soup tho - this Jjamppong.
    Craveworthy, imo. Billed as spicy, it's bright red. I have a tongue that's very used to hot&spicy. I didn't consider it overwhelmingly hot at all. Just a touch north of warm with chile heat. The red hue was alarming when I first saw it. A Chinese tablemate said, "You might be in trouble," when it was set on the table, but it really wasn't very spicy, imo. The flavor though - Not overly salty, very rich, perfectly tangy, I'd imagine that one overused buzzword from a few years ago would fit here...umami. A few, three, four mussels in the shell, some thin strips of pork parts, a nice handful of squid bits, cabbage strips, and a boatload of housemade (they claim housemade, but I argued with my tablemates that it was standard linguine) noodles round out the filling parts of this broth, but twice in a row now, I've ordered this soup, and spent the first ten minutes completely enamored with spoonful after spoonful of this broth (and waiting for everything else to cool down so I can shovel the noodles into my pie hole.)

One tablemate ordered the Beef Jjampong, which was not spicy, in a clear broth. They said it was not the greatest.

Other tablemate ordered the Jaengban jjajang - stir fried noodles with pork and scrimps, I believe, and he loved it as much as I loved my soup. When we went back, he ordered it again without hesitation.

I didn't try either of their orders, didn't need to.

If jjamppong with squid and pork and mussels interests you, and you are near this place, I think you'll be happy. The Hong Kong Wings are very decent as well, but others on this site say BonChon which is right next door in the same strip mall, has better chicken. I assume they are correct, I haven't Bonchonned yet.

As a 1-2 punch, however, this Jjamppong, and a few treats from Tour Le Jous (again, next door, same strip mall) can make a for a great combo.

Also, ISO more Jjampong worth trying. I'm gonna go on a Jjamppong "kick" this fall/winter. I have some eye-opening experience every once in a while, and this stuff is DEFINITELY it this season.

So, this Paik's noodles, it might not be a multi trick pony, but the Jjamppong, imo - worth an effort to try.

Their website links scattered on the web might lead you to a Facebook page. When we tried to pre-order by phone, the number we found in multiple places on the web was not in service, but they were open.

1615 Milwaukee Ave
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (224) 257-4942
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #2 - October 8th, 2019, 12:03 pm
    Post #2 - October 8th, 2019, 12:03 pm Post #2 - October 8th, 2019, 12:03 pm
    Paiks does a good version of jjampong, but my favorite in the area is Peking mandarin on Lawrence in Albany Park. Ask for it spicy.

Much preferred over the versions at great seas (meh) and great Beijing (pretty good)
  • Post #3 - October 8th, 2019, 2:33 pm
    Post #3 - October 8th, 2019, 2:33 pm Post #3 - October 8th, 2019, 2:33 pm
    Thanks for peeling this out of my Glenview thread!

This was definitely one of my favorite places to visit when I was working in the area, so much so that even after I left it was one of the handful of places I had to bring My Bride to.

From what I understand he is the biggest TV food star over there and brought his successful chain over here.

Not bad for a chain! Maybe GWiv can even add as he joined us on one of my lunch visits. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #4 - June 27th, 2022, 2:58 pm
    Post #4 - June 27th, 2022, 2:58 pm Post #4 - June 27th, 2022, 2:58 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Not bad for a chain! :)

That's pretty much my take on it. Not a bad meal, and the noodles were nice, but not great jjamppong. And if it's not hot enough for you, there is powdered chili on the table, plus vinegar and soy sauce. But in the non-chain places I've had this dish, there was a bowl of great hot sauce -- chilies, garlic, onion, sesame seeds -- so you could really make the dish brilliant -- and for those who like it spicy, hot with flavor.

I wouldn't tell people to avoid it --but don't expect the best jjamppong/champong ever. Pleasant, but not sensational. (And really nice people. So I hope "good enough" is good enough to keep them in business. That, and the photo of Steve Dolinsky on the front counter.)

Should probably add that my favorite Champong is 300 miles from here, so while I was eager to try this place, I think next time I crave noodles, I'll just hit up Mitsuwa for special pork ramen.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more