LTH Home

Chicago Style Pizza?

Chicago Style Pizza?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 14th, 2019, 9:58 pm
    Post #31 - January 14th, 2019, 9:58 pm Post #31 - January 14th, 2019, 9:58 pm
    Binko wrote:
    metro man wrote:I have to agree on the amount of veggies with sausage on a pizza should be minimal. I only go with one veggie/sausage combo at a time. Sausage and onion is my go to but I do like a sausage and green pepper occasionally. Will also go sausage and mushroom but only if the shrooms are not of the canned variety.

I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but when I go to Villa Nova in Stickney, they actually give you a choice of fresh or canned mushrooms, no difference in price. I choose canned for some reason. That's the only time I could stand those damned things.

Ditto—happy to know I’m not the only one :)!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #32 - January 26th, 2019, 11:49 pm
    Post #32 - January 26th, 2019, 11:49 pm Post #32 - January 26th, 2019, 11:49 pm
    I had lunch today at Bill's Pub location in Grayslake today, which is part of Bill's Pub and Pizza in Mundelein.

Their Italian beef, Italian sausage, mushroom, red onion, Giardiniera and mozzarella pizza is called 'The North Sider.'

Bill's Pub North
    18945 W Washington St, Grayslake, IL 60030224-360-5215

Bill's Pub and Pizza
    624 South Lake Street, Mundelein, IL 60060 | (847) 566-5380

http://billspizzapub.com/
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - January 27th, 2019, 12:48 pm
    Post #33 - January 27th, 2019, 12:48 pm Post #33 - January 27th, 2019, 12:48 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I had lunch today at Bill's Pub location in Grayslake today, which is part of Bill's Pub and Pizza in Mundelein.

Their Italian beef, Italian sausage, mushroom, red onion, Giardiniera and mozzarella pizza is called 'The North Sider.'

Bill's Pub North
    18945 W Washington St, Grayslake, IL 60030224-360-5215

Bill's Pub and Pizza
    624 South Lake Street, Mundelein, IL 60060 | (847) 566-5380

http://billspizzapub.com/

Have you seen the concoction up north before or is it just here?
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #34 - January 27th, 2019, 1:15 pm
    Post #34 - January 27th, 2019, 1:15 pm Post #34 - January 27th, 2019, 1:15 pm
    Hi,

If I am close to home, I usually go home for a meal. It is when I am further away, I eat out. So I don't much about pizza local to my home.

I have seen pizza with Italian beef before. Now I will pay attention to where.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #35 - January 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm
    Post #35 - January 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm Post #35 - January 27th, 2019, 2:46 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:If I am close to home, I usually go home for a meal. It is when I am further away, I eat out. So I don't much about pizza local to my home.

I understand the general sentiment of eating at home when possible/convenient, but in the context of pizza, most people have a sense of their local options because it isn't the type of food that is as good, or better, when made at home. It's such an easy thing to carry-out or have delivered, it's probably the quintessential type of restaurant members of a community share knowledge of.

As for "The Northsider" pizza being a combo with mushrooms, red onion and giardiniera, I have never seen it anywhere else. It's just a riff on the Italian beef and sausage connection to Chicago.
  • Post #36 - January 27th, 2019, 3:17 pm
    Post #36 - January 27th, 2019, 3:17 pm Post #36 - January 27th, 2019, 3:17 pm
    Hi,

I would know my local pizza options, if I went there. It just never occurs to us to order pizza delivered or even picked up. I just don't follow the local pizza trends because of this.

Lately, I have been making pan pizza, Detroit-style pizza and a few others at home. Frankly, we've have been very happy. I also work at home. If I am inspired to have pizza this evening, I walk over to the kitchen to make dough.

I have a tickle of a memory of seeing an Italian Beef pizza at Well's Brothers. Their website does not show their pizza specials.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #37 - January 27th, 2019, 7:29 pm
    Post #37 - January 27th, 2019, 7:29 pm Post #37 - January 27th, 2019, 7:29 pm
    The facility where I often earn my daily bread usually gets pizza from Pete's on Western when work gets busy. I somewhat skeptically picked up a slice of Italian beef/green pepper pie and was surprised how much I liked it.

Don't remember if there was giardinara available or not; I'm confident that would make it even better.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #38 - January 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm
    Post #38 - January 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm Post #38 - January 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm
    Giovanna wrote:Pete's on Western
    Pete's is the go-to for friends of the bride, we go couple of times a year with a group. Solid thinish crust pizza, friendly old-school service, lots of kids, families, macro brews and its own parking lot. I might not suggest Pete's but don't grumble when going.

Pete's Pizza
    3737 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-463-7770
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - January 28th, 2019, 4:16 pm
    Post #39 - January 28th, 2019, 4:16 pm Post #39 - January 28th, 2019, 4:16 pm
    Tortorice's does a solid ital beef/giard. The first time I had that combo was at a friend's house near the Arlington Heights location. Immediately became a fan.
  • Post #40 - January 28th, 2019, 9:06 pm
    Post #40 - January 28th, 2019, 9:06 pm Post #40 - January 28th, 2019, 9:06 pm
    Cathy, you didn't say what you thought of Bill's pizza with giardiniera.

Bill's in Mundelein is very close to me, but I so far haven't felt too highly motivated to ask them for giardiniera on pizza. I still think I'd rather have giardianera on an Italian beef sandwich.

Bill's and some other places around here do a double-decker pizza that I'm in the mood for a time or two a year. I wonder if it's done farther afield in the Chicago area or other parts of the country.

Shout out to Bill's Pub in Mundelein (and Grayslake, too): cozy places (fireplace and all), friendly and accomodating staff, reliably enjoyable food. Never felt a minute spent at either place was wasted.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #41 - January 28th, 2019, 9:10 pm
    Post #41 - January 28th, 2019, 9:10 pm Post #41 - January 28th, 2019, 9:10 pm
    Hi,

I ordered the Bill Special pizza with sausage, mushroom, onions, peppers and cheese. I only noted what I saw on the menu.

Regards,
    Cathy
    Cathy2

• Post #42 - January 30th, 2019, 9:27 am
    Post #42 - January 30th, 2019, 9:27 am Post #42 - January 30th, 2019, 9:27 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Tortorice's does a solid ital beef/giard. The first time I had that combo was at a friend's house near the Arlington Heights location. Immediately became a fan.

I think the nice thing about the giardiniera is that it gives the pizza a nice acidic accent. Now, whether you like that or not is personal taste, of course, but I do like a little zing to fattier foods. Clearly, you have some of the zing from the tomato sauce, but I used to (well, still do) love Tabasco or Crystal vs red pepper flakes on my cheese-heavy Chicago tavern style because the vinegar cuts through some of that richness. (Not all Chicago tavern pizzas are cheese heavy, but around here, they tend not to use a restrained hand with them, and you have an entire sheet of cheese on top of your pizza. Vito & Nick's actually is pretty good about not overdoing it, though.)

What I am interested in, but haven't tried yet, is the pickle pizzas I've seen show up on my random Internet adventures and Facebook feed. It looks like something that would be up my alley, but I don't know if anyone here has something like that.
  • Post #43 - January 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm
    Post #43 - January 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm Post #43 - January 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm
    Just rocked a vortex day Salerno’s (Grand Ave.) sausage and giardiniara and it did the trick. Delivery took a little over 2 hours though, so plan ahead if you’re in need.
  • Post #44 - January 30th, 2019, 2:53 pm
    Post #44 - January 30th, 2019, 2:53 pm Post #44 - January 30th, 2019, 2:53 pm
    I asked the resident expert on pizza at work for his opinion...

True Chicago pizza?

The Supreme - Sausage, mushroom, green pepper, and onion

Cheese and Sausage?

Too simple, only one ingredient

Italian Beef and Giardiniera?

He wouldn’t even talk about it. :) He is very conservative.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #45 - January 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm
    Post #45 - January 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm Post #45 - January 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm
    Agreed on Italian beef on a pie. I am suspect, though have never had so can’t completely shit talk the concept. The main problem as I see it is that Italian Beef is good (life-changing at its best) in large part because of the gravy jus, and I don’t see how this essential component survives with pizza as the vehicle. Seems the baking process would just dry out the beef, even if it’s surrounded by tomato sauce and cheese (and giard.). I doubt I’ll ever waste a pizza meal on it, but I suppose if reputable places like V&N’s are serving it it can’t be too bad.
  • Post #46 - January 30th, 2019, 6:20 pm
    Post #46 - January 30th, 2019, 6:20 pm Post #46 - January 30th, 2019, 6:20 pm
    I order it with beef and giard all the time, especially at Nick & Vito's. The key is keeping it at least partially under the cheese, and also somewhat bunched up, so that it doesn't quite dry out. Last time I ordered from Armand's (South Loop), there must've been a newbie making the pies that night, and it was laid out in sheets on top of the pizza and was precisely as you'd imagine--dry and tough. The giardiniera still saved it, though.
  • Post #47 - January 30th, 2019, 6:29 pm
    Post #47 - January 30th, 2019, 6:29 pm Post #47 - January 30th, 2019, 6:29 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Agreed on Italian beef on a pie. I am suspect, though have never had so can’t completely shit talk the concept. The main problem as I see it is that Italian Beef is good (life-changing at its best) in large part because of the gravy jus, and I don’t see how this essential component survives with pizza as the vehicle. Seems the baking process would just dry out the beef, even if it’s surrounded by tomato sauce and cheese (and giard.). I doubt I’ll ever waste a pizza meal on it, but I suppose if reputable places like V&N’s are serving it it can’t be too bad.

You can always get a half & half pie (and perhaps even subdivided further? Maybe a Chicago take on the pizza quattro stagioni? :) )if you want to experiment. That's what I do when I dine with my wife and mother-in-law, as they don't eat spicy food so much, so I get the beef & giard on one half, and they usually get sausage & mushroom or green pepper on the other. Which also means, of course, they I get a half pizza all to myself. :)

Like you, I was skeptical at the idea, but at least at Vito & Nick's, the beef does not turn into jerky, as one might think it would.
  • Post #48 - February 21st, 2019, 2:16 pm
    Post #48 - February 21st, 2019, 2:16 pm Post #48 - February 21st, 2019, 2:16 pm
    My go-to pizza is the SMOG, especially at my local place Flo & Santo's where it's called "Grace's Favorite". They also have a very good version of Italian Beef & Giard (Marco's Italian Beef) that adds carmelized onions and fire roasted tomatoes. Normally can't beat Mondays when the draft beers are $3.50 but through March they recently made their "family" size (large) pizzas half-price. If anyone's looking for me on a Monday that's where I'll normally be found.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #49 - February 21st, 2019, 6:05 pm
    Post #49 - February 21st, 2019, 6:05 pm Post #49 - February 21st, 2019, 6:05 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Agreed on Italian beef on a pie. I am suspect, though have never had so can’t completely shit talk the concept. The main problem as I see it is that Italian Beef is good (life-changing at its best) in large part because of the gravy jus, and I don’t see how this essential component survives with pizza as the vehicle. Seems the baking process would just dry out the beef, even if it’s surrounded by tomato sauce and cheese (and giard.). I doubt I’ll ever waste a pizza meal on it, but I suppose if reputable places like V&N’s are serving it it can’t be too bad.

It's obviously not the same, but equally good nonetheless. I have yet to have someone try it who doesn't suddenly have a positive reaction and a "why haven't I thought of this before" response. $20 or less gets you in the club.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more