LTH Home

Egg-O-Holic - Indian egg dishes River West, mult. locations

Egg-O-Holic - Indian egg dishes River West, mult. locations
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - April 15th, 2019, 2:38 pm
    Post #61 - April 15th, 2019, 2:38 pm Post #61 - April 15th, 2019, 2:38 pm
    I think lachko (with toast) and the anda masala sandwich are the must gets. Both provide something you can't get anywhere else in Chicago. Lachko is so unique in texture and flavor and the anda masala is the rare good egg salad sandwich outside of a Japanese convenience store.
  • Post #62 - April 21st, 2019, 8:51 pm
    Post #62 - April 21st, 2019, 8:51 pm Post #62 - April 21st, 2019, 8:51 pm
    Lava Paneer Pulav 2.jpg Lava Paneer Pulav

Adding myself to the growing list of fans. Went to the Chicago location tonight and had the Lachko, the Egg Curry (Shredded boiled eggs cooked in a garlic based tomato gravy A.K.A Surti Kheemo), and the Lava Paneer Pulav (Rice made with Paneer,spicy gravy and garnished with cheese). Already making plans to return.
  • Post #63 - June 13th, 2019, 3:45 pm
    Post #63 - June 13th, 2019, 3:45 pm Post #63 - June 13th, 2019, 3:45 pm
    Just a reminder that this place exists — and is awfully quiet on weekdays. As an extra incentive, the anda masala now comes with... potato chips! Also, you now order at the counter instead of at your table.

If I worked downtown, I’d eat here once a week.
  • Post #64 - June 13th, 2019, 3:57 pm
    Post #64 - June 13th, 2019, 3:57 pm Post #64 - June 13th, 2019, 3:57 pm
    cilantro wrote:Just a reminder that this place exists — and is awfully quiet on weekdays. As an extra incentive, the anda masala now comes with... potato chips! Also, you now order at the counter instead of at your table.

If I worked downtown, I’d eat here once a week.

I noticed that they swapped out the sauce on the Anda Masala Sandwich, too. It used to be served with ketchup packets, now it's a house-made, slightly-tangier-than-ketchup sauce served in a plastic portion cup. It has a nice little zip.

I've typically ordered at the counter but have found that if we want to augment during the meal, that can be done from the table, as there are always staff coming by to see if we want anything else, etc.

I'm almost grateful I don't live/work closer. This is some seriously rich food that I find almost impossible to resist.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #65 - June 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm
    Post #65 - June 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm Post #65 - June 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm
    Glad this got bumped. Reminds me I owe a post about what I'm now comfortable is saying is my favorite Indian restaurant. After being completely wowed by my small sampling on my first visit - the first time I've ever truly been wowed by Indian food despite my efforts to seek out that kind of reaction - I recruited some real ordering power to see if I agreed with my first impression.

I was able to try 13 dishes and while the Lachko remains my #1 (and really I can't understand anyone having a different favorite), the whole menu makes me happy. Some highlights:

ImageLachko

ImageBoil tikka (okay, this one I'd accept as someone's favorite over the lachko without passing judgment)

ImageFull garlic fry

ImageFloating omelet

ImageCheese Katori

We also tried three of the sandwiches, a wrap, and a handful of other plates. Not a dud in the bunch. I do wish they'd stop with the incredibly wasteful disposable plates and silverware, but with apologies to the planet and its future inhabitants, I'm ready to go back to Egg-O-Holic yesterday.
  • Post #66 - June 14th, 2019, 9:28 am
    Post #66 - June 14th, 2019, 9:28 am Post #66 - June 14th, 2019, 9:28 am
    The last time I was there I tried the Masala Fry. I want to try the Garlic Fry next and compare. I also ordered their Paneer Lajavab to go. Although it is good, I will stick with the Egg based dishes from now on as Paneer dishes (although not his exact thing) is something that can be had at other places.

While I was there, the place had maybe two or three customers who ate in. Many, many take-out orders were serviced though. And the guy running the place told me that they have applied for a Liquor License, which is a good idea; as this food is basically the "La Pasadita"/Tamale Guy food for post-pub munchies in India.

The Cricket World Cup is on right now, so I got to watch some replays. Again, this is just a personal thing; but I am really glad that I KNOW there is a place I can go to in the City where there will be Cricket playing. :-)

Between this and Kaybee's on Division and Halsted; I really don't need to go to Devon. I have been reading about a newish more upscale place on Chicago called Vajra that sounds interesting. Anyone been to that yet? There has been a rash of more inventive Indian places in Chicago recently that have been announced/opened. Rooh, Thattu, Grand Trunk Road, Superkhana INTL. Along with the already good/inventive Mango Pickle and Vermilion, it looks like a good time to try desi stuff.
  • Post #67 - December 28th, 2019, 8:36 am
    Post #67 - December 28th, 2019, 8:36 am Post #67 - December 28th, 2019, 8:36 am
    Egg-O-Holic has their liquor license. Anyone hoping for something special in the drinks department is going to be disappointed. Other than two Indian beers - Taj Mahal and Flying Horse - there's nothing distinctly Indian on the menu, just a mix of macrobrews, standard brand liquor (Jack, Gray Goose, etc.), and a cocktail list that would be at home in a college bar.

They're still not using regular plates but they have changed from plastic to a material they tell me is biodegradable.

The food remains outstanding and the restaurant remains under patronized. I propose a collective New Year's Resolution for LTHers to go more often in 2020.
  • Post #68 - December 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm
    Post #68 - December 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm Post #68 - December 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm
    Have been working out of town a lot and wanted food I can't make myself so went there last pm a few hrs upon my return. Floating omelette and lachko were most excellent but for those who haven't tried, the bhel chaat is superb. Do yourself a favor and order it.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #69 - December 28th, 2019, 6:39 pm
    Post #69 - December 28th, 2019, 6:39 pm Post #69 - December 28th, 2019, 6:39 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:I propose a collective New Year's Resolution for LTHers to go more often in 2020.

This is a good idea, but I think the matter is too important to be left to the whims of the public. We need legislation.
  • Post #70 - December 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm
    Post #70 - December 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm Post #70 - December 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Egg-O-Holic has their liquor license. Anyone hoping for something special in the drinks department is going to be disappointed.

Yeah, the bar (which has been there since the beginning, iirc) is pretty perfunctory and seems to have been set up by someone who doesn't drink (well). If I had to drink something there, maybe I'd opt for a beer or one of the vatted whiskys? Happily, by the time I usually get there, my drinking for the evening is already over. 8) :mrgreen:

Jazzfood wrote:Have been working out of town a lot and wanted food I can't make myself so went there last pm a few hrs upon my return. Floating omelette and lachko were most excellent but for those who haven't tried, the bhel chaat is superb. Do yourself a favor and order it.

Was happy to join you and try some items I've never tried before. One of the joys of going with friends who've been before is not feeling like I've got to order my favorites (again), so the n00bs I brought can try them. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #71 - April 1st, 2020, 11:38 pm
    Post #71 - April 1st, 2020, 11:38 pm Post #71 - April 1st, 2020, 11:38 pm
    Went to the Chicago location for dinner and the lachko and boil tikka were as fantastic as ever. Egg-O-Holic offers carry-out, curbside pick-up and delivery.

This place has been underutilized by the dining public since it opened. Things seem even worse now. I got there a good 15-20 minutes early. I saw zero other pick-ups, zero delivery drivers go out and never heard the phone ring.

With the Tribune focusing nearly all of its food coverage on big name places these days, small places that will never get Michelin stars or get James Beard consideration or written up in guidebooks need our support more than ever. I have no interest in setting foot in Schaumburg again in my life but if this location of Egg-O-Holic doesn't make it, I'll be left with no other choice.

Save me from Schaumburg and order from Egg-O-Holic in Chicago.
  • Post #72 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:02 am
    Post #72 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:02 am Post #72 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:02 am
    So far I've cooked every meal during this lockdown and haven't ordered out once. Tired of my own food, i need to scratch my Egg-O-Holic and/or Khan and JMC/New China itch before we can't.
  • Post #73 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:48 am
    Post #73 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:48 am Post #73 - April 2nd, 2020, 8:48 am
    Jazzfood wrote:So far I've cooked every meal during this lockdown and haven't ordered out once.

I've cooked every meal except one. We ordered delivery from long time favorite Elephant Thai. Quick, delicious, they even included a beautiful mango and juicy lime. Only one problem/issue. One of the dishes, Pad woon sen, had the dreaded b*by c*rn, which petrifies me! Total b*by c*rn phobia. I wept like a 3-year-old while screaming no-no-no.

ETP2.jpg Pad woon sen with b*by c*rn

Kahn sounds terrific, maybe we should individually pick up orders and then eat in the park while maintaining proper distancing. (Though I don't want LL to yell at me)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #74 - April 2nd, 2020, 10:14 am
    Post #74 - April 2nd, 2020, 10:14 am Post #74 - April 2nd, 2020, 10:14 am
    G Wiv wrote:Kahn sounds terrific, maybe we should individually pick up orders and then eat in the park while maintaining proper distancing. (Though I don't want LL to yell at me)

Or find an empty parking lot, space yourselves right and chat from the car window just like the CPD.

Regards,
    CAthy2

P.S. I have suggested this a few times and nobody has agreed yet, but it might be workable.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #75 - April 17th, 2020, 2:35 pm
    Post #75 - April 17th, 2020, 2:35 pm Post #75 - April 17th, 2020, 2:35 pm
    Egg-O-Holic now offering curbside pick up and contactless delivery.
  • Post #76 - April 17th, 2020, 2:36 pm
    Post #76 - April 17th, 2020, 2:36 pm Post #76 - April 17th, 2020, 2:36 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:Egg-O-Holic now offering curbside pick up and contactless delivery.

Egg-cellent! :lol: :wink:

=R=

yeah, I had that one teed up
  • Post #77 - May 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm
    Post #77 - May 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm Post #77 - May 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm
    Just a quick update to note that Egg-O-Holic has 1) a take-out coupon and 2) apparently, a *third* location:

C877408A-D86A-4ECF-B53B-C5AE0C51BF63.jpeg
  • Post #78 - May 3rd, 2020, 4:27 pm
    Post #78 - May 3rd, 2020, 4:27 pm Post #78 - May 3rd, 2020, 4:27 pm
    cilantro wrote:Just a quick update to note that Egg-O-Holic has 1) a take-out coupon and 2) apparently, a *third* location

Yeah. Last time I was in they told me they were opening a location near Ohio State University (I thought I posted it but maybe not). I guess it happened. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #79 - June 12th, 2021, 8:46 pm
    Post #79 - June 12th, 2021, 8:46 pm Post #79 - June 12th, 2021, 8:46 pm
    After the first visit in probably a year and a half, am happy to report that the food is as delicious as ever.

Also: new location coming to Naperville (as well as Nashville, Louisville, and DFW).

Also #2: I was slightly disturbed (okay, shaken to my core) to realize that this place is actually called "EggHolic". Have we (including Mike Sula in his Reader piece) all been getting it wrong the whole time or was there a subtle name change, like P. Diddy or Kesha?
  • Post #80 - June 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Post #80 - June 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm Post #80 - June 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    cilantro wrote:After the first visit in probably a year and a half, am happy to report that the food is as delicious as ever.

Also: new location coming to Naperville (as well as Nashville, Louisville, and DFW).

Also #2: I was slightly disturbed (okay, shaken to my core) to realize that this place is actually called "EggHolic". Have we (including Mike Sula in his Reader piece) all been getting it wrong the whole time or was there a subtle name change, like P. Diddy or Kesha?

Don't despair. I'm pretty sure there was a name change at some point. And a while back, in this post, when I incorrectly referred to it as Egg-A-Holic.

=R=
  • Post #81 - July 22nd, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Post #81 - July 22nd, 2021, 4:13 pm Post #81 - July 22nd, 2021, 4:13 pm
    Was there last pm w/my mate who I went to India with. While we saw/ate nothing @ all like this there both of us were as happy as can be. Great food, and as he said "As unique as it is, it's still very comforting and familiar."
  • Post #82 - May 29th, 2022, 10:02 pm
    Post #82 - May 29th, 2022, 10:02 pm Post #82 - May 29th, 2022, 10:02 pm
    Lunch today at the Schaumburg location (which is just a few doors down from Patel Bros. grocery store--so easy landmark).

You can now add me to the list of fans. My friend and I were already planning another visit even as we were eating our meal today.

Had the cheese katori appetizer (hard cooked eggs stuffed with spices and covered with cheese. For our mains, we had goti fry --sliced eggs and cheese smothered in "gravy" -- and chicken kadai. Both were wonderful--and so generous, it was a struggle to finish them.

I was amused by the Desi Chai, which is a clever alteration that allows it to be more cost effective--no cardamom (the third costliest spice in the world), but lots of ginger, plus the milk and touch of sugar. Masala chai (with cardamom) is normally $3.50-$4.50 at Indian restaurants, but the Desi Chai is $1.99. So even on a budget, okay to indulge.

And there is a banner in the store listing other places they will be opening locations -- Niles being at the top of the list. Their website lists several other "soon to open" options. Nice of them to make it easier to visit. :)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #83 - May 30th, 2022, 1:16 pm
    Post #83 - May 30th, 2022, 1:16 pm Post #83 - May 30th, 2022, 1:16 pm
    Cynthia wrote:. . . And there is a banner in the store listing other places they will be opening locations -- Niles being at the top of the list. Their website lists several other "soon to open" options. Nice of them to make it easier to visit. :)

Really looking forward to the Niles/Golf Mill-area location, which is just a few minutes from my office. I've heard it's opening very soon.

=R=
  • Post #84 - June 19th, 2022, 6:46 pm
    Post #84 - June 19th, 2022, 6:46 pm Post #84 - June 19th, 2022, 6:46 pm
    Today, tried the Ando Masala -- one of the grilled sandwiches for which they are justifiably well known. Really fabulous. Only mistake was having it (splitting with friend) before the Egg Curry, which was lovely but not quite as amazing as the grilled sandwich.

This is under Egg Grilled Sandwiches, vs. the Veg Grilled Sandwiches or Chicken Grilled Sandwiches (so clearly, they like sandwiches). Still lots of new things to try -- but it will be hard to not want the Ando Masala again.

Also, again, had Desi Chai.

Yum.

• Post #85 - June 21st, 2022, 11:04 pm
    Post #85 - June 21st, 2022, 11:04 pm Post #85 - June 21st, 2022, 11:04 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Today, tried the Ando Masala -- one of the grilled sandwiches for which they are justifiably well known. Really fabulous. Only mistake was having it (splitting with friend) before the Egg Curry, which was lovely but not quite as amazing as the grilled sandwich.

This is under Egg Grilled Sandwiches, vs. the Veg Grilled Sandwiches or Chicken Grilled Sandwiches (so clearly, they like sandwiches). Still lots of new things to try -- but it will be hard to not want the Ando Masala again.

Also, again, had Desi Chai.

Yum.

Sounds great. Which location, Cynthia?

=R=
  • Post #86 - June 22nd, 2022, 9:04 am
    Post #86 - June 22nd, 2022, 9:04 am Post #86 - June 22nd, 2022, 9:04 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Sounds great. Which location, Cynthia?

=R=

Schaumburg. Will try Niles when it opens, but thus far, Schaumburg is the most convenient for me.

• Post #87 - July 7th, 2022, 3:52 am
    Post #87 - July 7th, 2022, 3:52 am Post #87 - July 7th, 2022, 3:52 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    cilantro wrote:After the first visit in probably a year and a half, am happy to report that the food is as delicious as ever.

Don't despair. I'm pretty sure there was a name change at some point. And a while back, in this post, when I incorrectly referred to it as Egg-A-Holic.

=R=

Yeah, at one point their website was egg-o-holic.com but now it's just eggholic.com, so there's that.
  • Post #88 - July 13th, 2022, 10:41 am
    Post #88 - July 13th, 2022, 10:41 am Post #88 - July 13th, 2022, 10:41 am
  • Post #89 - July 13th, 2022, 11:17 am
    Post #89 - July 13th, 2022, 11:17 am Post #89 - July 13th, 2022, 11:17 am
    Can't imagine it won't be a stampede.

• Post #90 - July 13th, 2022, 1:28 pm
    Post #90 - July 13th, 2022, 1:28 pm Post #90 - July 13th, 2022, 1:28 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Can't imagine it won't be a stampede.
    Don't egg them on...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more