LTH Home

Bar Biscay: Basque-inspired bar/bistro in Noble Square

Bar Biscay: Basque-inspired bar/bistro in Noble Square
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bar Biscay: Basque-inspired bar/bistro in Noble Square

Post #1 - November 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Post #1 - November 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm Post #1 - November 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Based on two recent visits, we are really digging Bar Biscay. The restaurant is apparently named for the Bay of Biscay where northern Spain meets western France. The reviews we read before going describe the decor as 'trippy' and 'psychedelic'--there's definitely a lot of turquoise and back-lighting. I really like the vibe.
    The menu leans towards small plates/pinxtos/side dishes with a few large plates thrown in. There's a focus on seafood and the vegetable side dishes really shine. I can't remember everything we ate from a meal in late summer but the the anchovy toasts, heirloom tomato salad, roasted fingerlings with vermouth aioli and jamon/melon dish (that sounded pedestrian but really blew me away) were all great.
    From the fall menu, we had the anchovy toasts again and tried the veal sweetbreads with maple-espelette glaze and parsnip puree, the manchego gougeres, Brussels sprouts with pecan/sage vinaigrette and farmer's cheese and the steak au poivre with shallots and frites. The steak was phenomenal--the frites were cut thick, which is not my preference, but they were a great vehicle for soaking up the brandy cream sauce. In recent memory, 2 Brussels sprouts dishes rank among the best things I've eaten lately--the sprouts with ham at Giant, and the dish from Bar Biscay. The gougeres were delicious in the way that golden brown buttery, eggy dough with cheese is but I probably would forgo these in favor of less traditional items on the menu.
    Our servers were very knowledgeable and friendly. They have a nice selection of wines by the glass.
    There's a chef's counter with stools looking into the kitchen--we're hoping to nab that for the tasting menu at the next visit.

1450 W Chicago Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 455-8900
  • Post #2 - September 18th, 2019, 7:01 pm
    Post #2 - September 18th, 2019, 7:01 pm Post #2 - September 18th, 2019, 7:01 pm
    Been coming here regularly since they opened and it’s become one of my favorite places to eat and drink in the city. The food is consistently good to fantastic: the anchovy toast, stuffed piquillos, mushrooms, and all the house made charcuterie have been consistent highlights. Beyond that and perhaps just as importantly, the staff are fantastic hosts and create a real vibe of a place I want to linger at.
  • Post #3 - September 27th, 2019, 6:26 pm
    Post #3 - September 27th, 2019, 6:26 pm Post #3 - September 27th, 2019, 6:26 pm
    Agree. It's stealthily become one of our most frequent dining destinations!
  • Post #4 - March 28th, 2020, 4:26 pm
    Post #4 - March 28th, 2020, 4:26 pm Post #4 - March 28th, 2020, 4:26 pm
    Bar Biscay has set up 'Bodega Biscay' and has a short menu, beer/wine/alcohol plus a motley array of grocery staples (e.g. polenta, butter, eggs, boquerones, avocados, Sparrow coffee, sourdough starter...).
    We ordered from there tonight and it was fabulous. We split an order of the hanger steak--the sherry cream mushrooms put this dish over the top, a half chicken and the arugula salad a bottle of Dao red. We picked it up kind of early intending to reheat it but it smelled so good, we tore into the bag as soon we got home. Also looking forward to trying the chicken/dumpling soup and banana bread we picked up for lunch tomorrow.
  • Post #5 - August 8th, 2020, 8:19 am
    Post #5 - August 8th, 2020, 8:19 am Post #5 - August 8th, 2020, 8:19 am
    Bar Biscay closes permanently due to COVID-19 and other factors — ‘let’s try to salvage some good from this,’ says partner

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... rtbeat-flt
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #6 - August 8th, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Post #6 - August 8th, 2020, 6:40 pm Post #6 - August 8th, 2020, 6:40 pm
    Loved Bar Biscay...this makes me sad.
  • Post #7 - August 9th, 2020, 7:51 am
    Post #7 - August 9th, 2020, 7:51 am Post #7 - August 9th, 2020, 7:51 am
    Noooooooo.......

I was pretty sad about Café Cancale closing and Black Bull's 'reconcepting' to Mama Delia but this is the one that really bums me out.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more