LTH Home

Kuma's Corner

Kuma's Corner
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 42
  • Kuma's Corner

Post #1 - July 10th, 2005, 12:32 pm
    Post #1 - July 10th, 2005, 12:32 pm Post #1 - July 10th, 2005, 12:32 pm
    Kuma's Corner, a "comfort food" spot in a beautiful building on West Belmont, opened up about a month ago, and has recently been the beneficiary of some effusive praise at MetroMix -- which is what convinced me to give it a go. I dropped in today for what turned out to be a very satisfying brunch in an extremely beautiful setting.

Kuma's is set in a beautiful stone building, with this entertaining weathervane on top (good thing Starbucks didn't catch the Moby Dick reference first or this corner would've been serving lattes months ago):

Kuma's Corner is named after the owner's dog (or so he told me), but because "Kuma" means "bear" in Japanese (also something he told me), there is a bear theme to the beautifully restored bar:

In addition to the bears, Kuma's has a "tats and piercings" theme going on, and my experience confirms the statement at MetroMix that every employee is pierced, tatooed or both. The theme extends to the men's restroom:

and even the coasters:

I had corned beef hash, which was chunky, homestyle and served with two poached eggs and optional sauteed onions:

This was pretty tasty hash; not the best I've tried, but above average, and enhanced with some of the plentiful array of hot pepper sauces kept on hand behind the bar.

On my way to photograph the restroom (that sounds peculiar; please note the staff suggested it...) ... anyway, I passed a tray of fresh biscuits, which looked rather good, so I substituted those for toast. I was glad I did, because these were truly great biscuits, the highlight of my meal. Crisp exteriors, soft and layered insides, and as noted, very fresh from the oven. I'll go back for the biscuits and gravy some other time. You can catch a glimpse of the biscuits in the background of this picture:

Kuma's Corner is a good addition to the neighborhood. They also serve lunch and dinner (again, comfort food -- burgers, mac & cheese, and the like) and have outdoor seating in back; when they get their liquor license, it could be a very pleasant place for dinner or beer. They've clearly put a lot of thought and work into the place, know what they are doing and seem primed for success. They also seem to have avoided the "Dunlay's Syndrome," as (1) their restoration of the barroom, inside and out, is highly sensitive to the context of the neighborhood and (2) the pierced & tatooed owner and staff are far removed from the Trixie and Chad patrol at Dunlay's, both in style and substance. Certainly the neighborhood needs an option like this, so I wish them very well.

Kuma's Corner
    2900 W. Belmont
    Last edited by JimInLoganSquare on July 10th, 2005, 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #2 - July 10th, 2005, 2:28 pm
    Post #2 - July 10th, 2005, 2:28 pm Post #2 - July 10th, 2005, 2:28 pm
    Thanks for the report, Jim. We stopped in at Kuma's after a dinner at TLO recently hoping to get a drink but we were surprised to find that they were BYOB (liquor license on its way). We chatted with the bartender and perused the menu, which did seem like a nice nieghborhood bar menu. We'll be stopping in soon.

Best,
    Michael / EC
  • Post #3 - July 10th, 2005, 4:41 pm
    Post #3 - July 10th, 2005, 4:41 pm Post #3 - July 10th, 2005, 4:41 pm
    I'll also point out that Kuma's is a family-run place. The owner and his wife live upstairs -- or at least I believe it's a husband and wife team; she's the chef. Anyway, the chef is right out there in the open cooking the food, responding to the customers (well, me at least, being a typical LTHer, with the substitutions and the camera and the what-not). It's also cozy -- not tiny, but a room that one or two staff can handle comfortably. Also noteworthy is that while the prices here are fair (if not cheap), every day between 4 and 7 dinner entrees are 25% off, which is a real incentive to return.
  • Post #4 - August 22nd, 2005, 7:41 am
    Post #4 - August 22nd, 2005, 7:41 am Post #4 - August 22nd, 2005, 7:41 am
    petit pois and I needed a hassle-free dinner last night, something reasonably filling and not too expensive. We decided to grab a bottle of wine and head to Kuma's for the first time.

When I walked in the front door, wine in hand, I noticed that their bar was fully stocked. The bartender informed me that they just received their liquor license two days earlier, but they were still allowing people to BYO wine since the word had not been spread yet. They do not have a license for the outdoor patio, so they will not be serving booze outdoors until next season.

We ordered a plate of forgettable pot stickers and a couple sandwiches. PP had a burger (not the Kobe) and I ordered the turkey-avocado-bacon, both with a side salad. The burger was cooked too long for medium rare and had a seasoning that I found to be somewhat odd and misplaced, I couldn't pinpoint it. (Jury's is still my go-to bar burger). My turkey sandwich was very good, with real roast turkey, decent bacon, and good avocado, red onion and tomato.

The dinner menu is pretty predictable for a place like this: a few different quesadillas, sandwiches, and appetizers along with a standard spread of entrees (steak, pork chop, chicken, fish) and a few daily specials. Kuma's is a very comfortable, cozy corner pub/restaurant, as JiLS accurately pointed out. The staff is extremely friendly and they make it a nice place to relax.

I'd heartily echo JiLS' setiment that Kuma's is a welcome addition to the neighborhood (that I'm leaving), and a very nice place to have a casual drink and a dinner.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #5 - August 22nd, 2005, 5:47 pm
    Post #5 - August 22nd, 2005, 5:47 pm Post #5 - August 22nd, 2005, 5:47 pm
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:I'll go back for the biscuits and gravy some other time.

I did go back for biscuits and gravy last weekend, and unfortunately can't give Kuma's high marks on the gravy (although the biscuits were just as delightful as on my first visit). The problem with the gravy is that they used chunks of Italian sausage rather than country/breakfast sausage. While the sausage was good quality, it was just all wrong for biscuits and gravy. The gravy base itself was O.K., with plenty of pepper; I think if they just subbed in the right sausage, it would be among the better versions in town. Also noted during this visit, the service was friendly and attentive, consistent with my prior visit and eatchicago's experience at dinner.
    JiLS
  • Post #6 - October 14th, 2005, 7:55 am
    Post #6 - October 14th, 2005, 7:55 am Post #6 - October 14th, 2005, 7:55 am
    I went to Kuma's for breakfast instead of Mama Kitty's (I wasn't in the mood for waiting in line anywhere) and was impressed with the quality and amount of food for the price. It is a way better deal than the many higher priced options out there, and fresh and tasty to boot. The funky atmosphere is great, too. They actually play music I like. Love the paint colors. I just wish they didn't have 5 TVs.

I had one of the two fritattas on the menu that was pretty close to perfect. The andouille sausage, plus another sausage(not sure what), spinach, onion, potato and fresh mozz did just the trick. The sun dried tomatoes added were not from oil, but very dry. I prefer the texture and softness of those in oil. Other diners were pleased with pancakes, french toast, and eggs. Pretty basic stuff, but tons of food for now. Mine came with a nicely toasted whole grain bread with lingonberries. Love those lingonberries. I miss Joanne and Sons on Ravenswood for those. It was a nice surprise.

The staff are so nice in Kuma's, too. It's intimate (read, SMALL), but it really adds to the experience.

A few weeks ago a salad I ate there was poorly executed. Slopped on the plate in piles, not tossed or dressed, no bread. They are only blocks away, so I had to try it again. My only other choice is Mr. Pollo, which I do like minus the too salty chicken. Our choices have been bad Chinese buffet or Burger King. Maybe Chief O'Neill's, but I've had pretty bad service there. La Finca is very average Mexican.

Kuma's
    2900 W. Belmont Ave.
    773-604-8769
    Last edited by Food Nut on August 22nd, 2006, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #7 - December 2nd, 2005, 11:29 pm
    Post #7 - December 2nd, 2005, 11:29 pm Post #7 - December 2nd, 2005, 11:29 pm
    Spurred on by the GNR nomination of Kuma's, I went there for dinner tonight with the Chow Poodle to check it out first hand. I must say, I enjoyed both the atmosphere and our dinner very much. Friday night is 1/2 price bottle of wine night and, although I'm not much of a drinker, this seems like reason enough to check the place out. I had a birch beer, which was a first for me, and something I would order again. It had the same notes as root beer, but more of a floral taste and a bright red color. As for the food, I started with the soup of the day which, in this case, was a cream of tomato soup. The soup had a nice spicy note to it, which was a very nice touch, and also had the slightest hint of Gorgonzola (?). I really liked the soup and would not hesitate to order it again if it was featured. The Chow Poodle started with a cup of chili, which she liked quite a bit, although the fact that it had beans in it got some negative points from me.

For the main course, I had the Kuma Burger, which was cooked perfectly medium rare (as ordered) and was just as described earlier in the thread. The egg on top was a nice touch. Had the yolk been centered rather than way off to one side it would have been perfect. I accompanied it with home made "potato chips", which were really thinly cut home fries, fried to crisp perfection. The CP had steak quisidillas, which she proclaimed "just OK", mostly due to the lack of red salsa for spooning on top or dipping. They were served with a green salsa, which was not on the approved Chow Poodle list of salsas.

On the way out, I stuck my head in the small kitchen and saw some calamari being plated, which looked to be nicely fried and some mac & cheese being cooked to order a la minute.

All and all, I really liked Kuma's, and I won't hesitate to return on occasion. For simple bar/comfort food, the place has got it going on. Monday 12/12 is appreciation night. If you order two entrées, you get a free appetizer and (this is the really nice part) all sales for the entire day go to the staff. This is really a nice way for the owner to show his appreciation for the very friendly. personable staff that work there. If you haven't had a chance to go to Kuma's, that might be a really good day to check it out.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - August 15th, 2006, 12:38 pm
    Post #8 - August 15th, 2006, 12:38 pm Post #8 - August 15th, 2006, 12:38 pm
    LTH,

Went with the dueling banjos of Kuma's Corner, Steve Z and Mike G, for dinner last night and I'd say we were unanimous, we, certainly me, had an enjoyable meal. Friendly efficient waitress, cozy, comfortable tables, nicely set up bar, good selection of booze, including beer list, and a corner bar cook who was really good at her job.

We started off with Prince Edward Island mussels in a white Belgian-style ale, the chile laced broth was good, though the mussels themselves had a bit of the Monday mussel blahs.

Mussels

Minor mussel issues aside, the Pan Seared Scallops wrapped in bacon were terrific. Perfectly cooked, nicely accented with baby arugula, lemon butter sauce and orange segments. I really liked this dish.

Pan Seared Scallops

I went with the Kuma Burger, a manageable 8-oz of Angus with cheddar, bacon and fried egg on a pretzel bun. Right at med-rare, as I asked, and the runny yoke fried egg was the perfect compliment, I really liked this burger.

Kuma Burger

Mike G had the Kaijo Burger, 8-oz of Angus, blue cheese, bacon, frizzled onions on a pretzel bun. This was a damn good burger as well, I particularly liked the frizzled onions (thin strands of fried onion) and stole a few off Mike's plate. The chef, Demara, saw me nabbing the onions and sent out a small plate of them. I think she was looking over to see how we liked the food, this is a woman who cares.

Kaijo Burger

Steve went with make your own Mac and Cheese, he opted for peas and prosciutto. Not bad, though for my taste it could have used a couple of minutes in the oven or under a broiler.

Mac and Cheese

We split Key Lime Pie for dessert, good flavor, perked up by grated lime rind, but slightly on the dense side.

Key Lime Pie

Overall nice vibe to the place, even for three guys who are not really Kuma's demographic, a big part of the reason being our very friendly waitress, Erin.

Erin at Kuma's Corner

I complimented Demara, the chef, on nailing the scallops and she immediately engaged me in a discussion of ideal internal temps for scallops and the Press Test. She's a fan of Mario Batali and keeps his cookbooks on hand for inspiration, M Batali should feel complimented.

Demara

Thanks to Fujisan, FoodNut, JimInLoganSq, EatChicago and Steve Z, who are fans and wrote about Kuma's, I agree, it's a nice place with good food.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - August 15th, 2006, 12:42 pm
    Post #9 - August 15th, 2006, 12:42 pm Post #9 - August 15th, 2006, 12:42 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Thanks to Fujisan, FoodNut, JimInLoganSq, EatChicago and Steve Z, who are fans and wrote about Kuma's, I agree, it's a nice place with good food.

I have not been since the chef change and significant menu upgrade. Thanks for putting this back on my radar.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #10 - August 15th, 2006, 1:04 pm
    Post #10 - August 15th, 2006, 1:04 pm Post #10 - August 15th, 2006, 1:04 pm
    I was pretty heavily underwhelmed by Kuma's when I tried it a year-ish ago, feeling it was a bar that had aimed higher than it was capable of achieving in the kitchen; so I am pleased to say that every objection I had then was answered last night.

This is not to say it was perfect-- as G Wiv noted, the mussels in Belgian-style beer were just okay, my archenemy the Hopleaf alas remains the champ in that category; and there are a few examples of bar-food silliness on the menu, such as the "pulled pork fries," which one would be well advised to steer around.

But those scallops (which I had urged against ordering) were just perfect, the best scallops dish I've had in a good long while (and I can think of a few specific examples that didn't measure up); the fried egg burger, as long as you eat it while the egg's still hot and runny, is really tasty, served on a well-above average bun, and the other one was quite good too.

Also, this time the music was kept at a level where conversation was still possible. I'd also like to praise the beer list, which leans toward Belgian-style American beers; the Two Brothers Red Rye Ale, with a full, floral dry-hop bouquet, was excellent, and another IPA I tried was good if less memorable.

One note, Gary called Demara the chef, the menu credits somebody named Jose (no last name) as the "executive chef," but Demara is clearly the ace in the hole and deserves top billing.

One more note, Kuma's first anniversary party is coming up, complete with pig roast, and would probably be well worth checking out.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #11 - August 15th, 2006, 1:18 pm
    Post #11 - August 15th, 2006, 1:18 pm Post #11 - August 15th, 2006, 1:18 pm
    Mike G wrote:One more note, Kuma's first anniversary party is coming up, complete with pig roast, and would probably be well worth checking out.

I'll have to echo Mike G. & GWiv. This was my 4th or 5th visit to Kuma's and I've yet to have a bad meal, although after last night's DIY Mac and Cheese, I'll be back to ordering a burger next time. The 1st Anniversary Pig Roast looks like it will be a good time, although from the evidence on LTH alone, they're a bit past the date for an "official" 1st anniversary party...but who cares. That pig roast sounds like a worthy event to attend.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - August 15th, 2006, 9:19 pm
    Post #12 - August 15th, 2006, 9:19 pm Post #12 - August 15th, 2006, 9:19 pm
    After these recommendations (and in light of the changing of the guard in the kitchen), what else could Mrs. JiLS and I do but dine this evening at Kuma's Corner? So we did. Things started brilliantly with the scallop appetizer, which was all and more than set forth above, because I need to note that the greens and dressing were also excellent, and this will definitely be in my top 10 of 2006 list. Mrs. JiLS had the chicken breast saltimbocca, which was a beautiful-looking creation, wrapped in prosciutto and accompanied by a lovely little salad and a cup of penne in a lightly applied, spicy tomato sauce that was remarkable enough in itself. And the chicken/prosciutto combo was a savory meat-bomb of flavor and juiciness; no dry white chicken meat here. I ordered the garganelli in cream sauce with peas and prosciutto. As advertised, the pasta was hand-rolled and was astoundingly delicious. The cream sauce, however, was applied about 50% too heavy for my taste. A lighter hand would actually have better emphasized how delicious that sauce was. Also, a minor point, the menu states "shaved" Parmesan topping, which would have been better than the grated (possibly from the green can?) product sprinkled unnecessarily on my plate of pasta.

The one point that detracted from the experience was the ambiance. Kuma's is still basically a neighborhood bar, or at least they get plenty of patrons who are there primarily for a drink. That would be O.K., but for the tiny size of the place and the fact that they are doing dinner service with entrees some of which are > $20. The bar atmosphere, plus the music (even if, as noted before, toned down to conversational volumes) are a real disconnect with the (fully-realized) pretentions of the kitchen. Anyway, a minor complaint-one which could be avoided by dining in the outdoor area to the rear of the building), and I do encourage folks to try Kuma's new dinner menu.
    JiLS
  • Post #13 - August 15th, 2006, 9:37 pm
    Post #13 - August 15th, 2006, 9:37 pm Post #13 - August 15th, 2006, 9:37 pm
    Glad the saltimbocca was good. It was one of the things we were making fun of before the meal as the sort of thing they couldn't possibly do well; but that was before those scallops.

I'm not a big bar fan, just because all bars seem to be dominated by big screen TVs showing sports these days; but if I was going to be a fan of any bar, Kuma's, where the TVs are fairly discreet, the crowd seems mellow (at least on Monday night) and the food and beer are both top drawer, would be my bar.
  • Post #14 - August 15th, 2006, 9:42 pm
    Post #14 - August 15th, 2006, 9:42 pm Post #14 - August 15th, 2006, 9:42 pm
    Mike G wrote:Glad the saltimbocca was good. It was one of the things we were making fun of before the meal as the sort of thing they couldn't possibly do well; but that was before those scallops.

You, not we. ;) :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - August 15th, 2006, 9:49 pm
    Post #15 - August 15th, 2006, 9:49 pm Post #15 - August 15th, 2006, 9:49 pm
    I seem to recall skepticism from you as well, when the subject came up after our lovely waitress' description of the yummy Pulled Pork Fries.

In any case, it all changed with the scallops...
  • Post #16 - August 15th, 2006, 9:55 pm
    Post #16 - August 15th, 2006, 9:55 pm Post #16 - August 15th, 2006, 9:55 pm
    Mike G wrote:I seem to recall skepticism from you as well, when the subject came up after our lovely waitress' description of the yummy Pulled Pork Fries.

Well, maybe just a little. :roll: :lol:

I will say, immodestly, that on occasion I've made killer pulled pork nachos with leftover home-smoked pulled pork, sliced jalapenos, fresh grated cojack, cheddar and a goodly glug of home made BBQ sauce.

So, you just never know. :)

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - August 16th, 2006, 7:20 am
    Post #17 - August 16th, 2006, 7:20 am Post #17 - August 16th, 2006, 7:20 am
    Mike G wrote:One more note, Kuma's first anniversary party is coming up, complete with pig roast, and would probably be well worth checking out.

Here's the Pig Roast info.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - August 16th, 2006, 7:29 am
    Post #18 - August 16th, 2006, 7:29 am Post #18 - August 16th, 2006, 7:29 am
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:Things started brilliantly with the scallop appetizer, which was all and more than set forth above, because I need to note that the greens and dressing were also excellent, and this will definitely be in my top 10 of 2006 list. Mrs. JiLS had the chicken breast saltimbocca, which was a beautiful-looking creation, wrapped in prosciutto and accompanied by a lovely little salad and a cup of penne in a lightly applied, spicy tomato sauce that was remarkable enough in itself. And the chicken/prosciutto combo was a savory meat-bomb of flavor and juiciness; no dry white chicken meat here.

Jim,

Hand rolled pasta, terrific saltimbocca, makes sense given Demara's affinity for M Batali.

Next time at Kuma's I will definitely expand my entree horizons beyond burgers. I'll probably go again relatively soon as the scallops are calling my name :)

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Last edited by G Wiv on August 16th, 2006, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #19 - August 16th, 2006, 8:49 am
    Post #19 - August 16th, 2006, 8:49 am Post #19 - August 16th, 2006, 8:49 am
    We ate so early (before 6:00 p.m.) that we actually had a different cook; Demara came in as we were finishing our meal. Other than the too-heavy cream sauce and the so-so grated parm on the pasta, everything was great ... although I was left wondering whether she would have made things a little different? All the more reason to go back at a more usual dinner hour!
    JiLS
  • Post #20 - August 16th, 2006, 12:01 pm
    Post #20 - August 16th, 2006, 12:01 pm Post #20 - August 16th, 2006, 12:01 pm
    I am a big Kuma's fan. I have always found the menu creative for a bar, and, as a fan of good beer, find their beer list well above average. I was disappointed when they reduced the number of Three Floyds beers on tap. There used to be three rotating taps of Three Floyds. Their Black Sun Stout is among the best I've had. If you want to splurge, order a 22 oz. bottle of Three Floyds Dreadnaught. Sure it's $18, but if you are at all a fan of hoppy beers, this will be your holy grail. Plus it's 10% ABV.

Also, I have always enjoyed the service, clientele, and music.
  • Post #21 - August 16th, 2006, 7:25 pm
    Post #21 - August 16th, 2006, 7:25 pm Post #21 - August 16th, 2006, 7:25 pm
    a friend and I visited Kuma's a few weeks back, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. Tasty food, an excellent beer list (that has $2 off Belgians on Thursdays!) and a comfortable setting. I'll be back!
  • Post #22 - August 19th, 2006, 5:12 pm
    Post #22 - August 19th, 2006, 5:12 pm Post #22 - August 19th, 2006, 5:12 pm
    BTW, Kuma's no longer serves breakfast/brunch. They do serve lunch and open at 11:30am on weekdays, too.

My biggest complaints of Kuma's echo the above. At times the music is ridiculously loud, or just plain obnoxious for the level the menu is trying to attain. It is schizophrenic in that regard and in the weird balance of bar-type and dinner menu choices.

The prices have risen and the tax that initially upon opening was reflected in the menu price is no longer.

I'll go for a burger(which is VERY good) and a beer once in a while, but as JiLS stated, the atmosphere doesn't "go" with the price of an entree there.

This might be their third chef since opening....
  • Post #23 - August 26th, 2006, 2:34 pm
    Post #23 - August 26th, 2006, 2:34 pm Post #23 - August 26th, 2006, 2:34 pm
    eatchicago wrote:I have not been since the chef change and significant menu upgrade. Thanks for putting this back on my radar.

I had it on the brain to return to Kuma's, and I'm glad I made it back there. After my first visit exactly one year ago, I found it pleasant, but mostly uninteresting. They've clearly made serious culinary improvements since then.

petit pois and I enjoyed the bacon-wrapped scallop appetizer as well as pan-seared grouper and grilled lamb chops. This is not destination cuisine, but it's darn good food for a corner bar, head and shoulders above a lot of other pub fare in this town.

Kuma's is also doing an excellent job of furthering the cause of quality beer proliferation in Chicago. They don't have the number of selections that some other beer bars around town do, but they have a nice selection that is chosen carefully. Last night there were three different types of Lagunitas on tap (IPA, Pils, and "Censored" a copper ale), after tasting the IPA on tap at Quenchers and now at Kuma's, Lagunitas is quickly becoming one of my favorite domestic microbrews.

Kuma's was full last night and the waitstaff, barstaff, and kitchen were working hard to keep everyone happy, which they did. I'll be back for sure.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #24 - August 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm
    Post #24 - August 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm Post #24 - August 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm
    Giallo wrote:I was disappointed when they reduced the number of Three Floyds beers on tap. There used to be three rotating taps of Three Floyds.
    It is not uncommon to see Nick Floyd and his master brewer hanging out at Kuma's, often pouring samples of Dreadnaught for fans of their Alpha King. However, I heard that 3 Floyds, for some reason, has temporarily suspended the manufacture of some of their kegged beers, including Alpha King. Even their local distributor is completely out of Alpha King in kegs (bottles are still available). Apparently, this resulted in some sort of falling out between 3 Floyds and the owners of Kuma's, since a large part of Kuma's business is (was) from 3 Floyds aficionados. I guess Kuma's no longer features any 3 Floyds products on tap (although they still sell bottles).

Mind you, this is all unsubstantiated third party bar gossip, told to me by a friend (who is given to drunken hyperbole) who heard it from somebody that works for a beer distributor. Is it true? has anyone seen Alpha King on tap lately?
  • Post #25 - August 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm
    Post #25 - August 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm Post #25 - August 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm
    d4v3 wrote:I guess Kuma's no longer features any 3 Floyds products on tap (although they still sell bottles).

Correct. No more 3 Floyds on tap. I asked the bartender (owner?) about this and he said that "it was just too hard to get".

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #26 - September 7th, 2006, 1:26 pm
    Post #26 - September 7th, 2006, 1:26 pm Post #26 - September 7th, 2006, 1:26 pm
    The new chef is, as the menu states, Jose - formerly lead cook at KDK's Gioco. Hence the Italian bent to the new menu.
  • Post #27 - September 8th, 2006, 8:41 am
    Post #27 - September 8th, 2006, 8:41 am Post #27 - September 8th, 2006, 8:41 am
    I've been to Kuma's a few times and really enjoyed the beer, but hadn't been too adventurous with the food menu until yesterday. Thanks to LTH recommendations, I had the scallops and the chicken saltimboca, both of which were very good. It's easy to overcook scallops, but these plump and fresh guys were prefectly prepared, and how can it ever be bad to wrap something in bacon? Come to think of it, I think I'll save on giftwrap this holiday season.

I love the casual environment, and the service has always been just about perfect. One complaint: there's either a sewage problem in the back patio, or a pack of sick dogs living in the yard next door. Two times in a row I've chosen to sit in the back patio, where more than occasional wafts of a horrific stench have passed through.
  • Post #28 - September 8th, 2006, 11:36 am
    Post #28 - September 8th, 2006, 11:36 am Post #28 - September 8th, 2006, 11:36 am
    Slightly off topic, but the Archie McPhee catalog carries bacon wapping paper, bacon band aids, corn dog air fresheners, and many other meat themed things you never knew you needed.

http://www.mcphee.com/categories/meat.html
  • Post #29 - September 8th, 2006, 11:46 am
    Post #29 - September 8th, 2006, 11:46 am Post #29 - September 8th, 2006, 11:46 am
    Kennyz wrote:...more than occasional wafts of a horrific stench have passed through.

Wow! That's quite a recommendation...

I think the cure may be to rest a strip of bacon on your upper lip during the meal.
    JiLS
  • Post #30 - September 8th, 2006, 11:50 am
    Post #30 - September 8th, 2006, 11:50 am Post #30 - September 8th, 2006, 11:50 am
    I believe the owner has a few dogs...Kuma is one.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more