LTH Home

Community Tavern, Six Corners

Community Tavern, Six Corners
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Community Tavern, Six Corners

Post #1 - December 18th, 2017, 1:39 pm
    Post #1 - December 18th, 2017, 1:39 pm Post #1 - December 18th, 2017, 1:39 pm
    Community Tavern is a hard thing to search on digital LTH but a good restaurant to find in reality. It's not too far from GNR Sol de Mexico and makes a nice nightcap for that experience, with creative tequila cocktails and a relaxed lounge vibe. I haven't run into a server or bartender yet who wasn't a knowledgeable foodie with opinions on other drink programs and kitchens in this area and throughout the city. To brand it a steakhouse (as they do) sells it sideways: they've steered around some classic dishes and preparations for other things they care about, including house charcuterie - the bacon is stellar - Asian herbs, pepitas, squash, and tagines. The burgers including the Sunday evening special are juicy, smoky, and richly topped. The straightforward salad preps with raw shaved vegetables including Brussels sprouts, sharp cheeses, and lightly-seasoned acidic dressings bring me back to Mado and Girl & the Goat. I like what they're doing at the pricepoint and neighborhood and the steady crowds seem to as well. Some links from other threads including a nice piece by Hammond are below.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015011 ... ix-corners

https://resto.newcity.com/2016/04/13/ch ... ty-tavern/

Community Tavern
    4038 N. Milwaukee
    (773)283-6080
    http://www.communitytavern.com/
  • Post #2 - September 13th, 2019, 10:12 am
    Post #2 - September 13th, 2019, 10:12 am Post #2 - September 13th, 2019, 10:12 am
    Any updates on this place, since new ownership in early 2018?
  • Post #3 - September 15th, 2019, 4:53 pm
    Post #3 - September 15th, 2019, 4:53 pm Post #3 - September 15th, 2019, 4:53 pm
    LaurenL wrote: Any updates on this place, since new ownership in early 2018?
    Can't help with here. :wink:
    On Thursday night, I walked past it to get to the new location of Fischman's Public House.
    It is a quiet, dim venue, despite gridiron being on televisions. Still offers some of the best craft beer selections on the northwest side.
    Image Image
    Fischman's Public House (liquor store adjacent, attached)
    4058 North Milwaukee Avenue
    Chicago, IL. 60641

Visiting here makes me ponder how the landlord who tried to gouge its rental rate when it was at 4774 N. Milwaukee must be raking it in with its new occupant. :twisted:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #4 - September 16th, 2019, 3:47 pm
    Post #4 - September 16th, 2019, 3:47 pm Post #4 - September 16th, 2019, 3:47 pm
    Fischman's menu is kind of weird but their food isn't bad. The beer selection is great, and the bottle shop next door has a good selection of beer, whiskey, and some other stuff.

I've only been to Community once but really liked it. Really good and interesting cocktails and wine list. The food was excellent and a bit eclectic, too. Can't remember exactly what we had, was there around 6 months ago, maybe?
  • Post #5 - September 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm
    Post #5 - September 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm Post #5 - September 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm
    pudgym29 wrote:Fischman's Public House (liquor store adjacent, attached)its new occupant.
    Neighborhood gossip is that they're closing the liquor store.
  • Post #6 - September 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm
    Post #6 - September 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm Post #6 - September 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm
    BrendanR wrote:
    pudgym29 wrote:Fischman's Public House (liquor store adjacent, attached)its new occupant.
    Neighborhood gossip is that they're closing the liquor store.

Not surprising, they were selling off a bunch of their bombers a couple weeks ago.
  • Post #7 - August 1st, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Post #7 - August 1st, 2020, 4:22 pm Post #7 - August 1st, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Whenever I was in the area I would always try and have dinner at Community Tavern, as I always enjoyed it, but haven't had the time really since they did a complete menu overhaul to a more fancier Asian focused menu and finally did with takeout last week for my birthday. Man it did NOT disappoint. Everything was on point! Highly recommend their takeout if you still don't feel like dining in..
    -Papaya salad
    -Barramundi (green curry, Chinese broccoli, English pea dumplings)
    -Short Rib dumplings - These were fantastic.
    -Scallion pancakes
    -Vietnamese crepe
    -Carrots (w/ shishito & shisho salsa verde.. These were also incredible and had above average spiciness which I appreciated.)

Also RIP Fischman Public House. That's a real bummer they couldn't make it the 2nd go around. Great people there. Unfortunately if they were struggling before Covid, that would have been the nail in the coffin for sure..
  • Post #8 - August 14th, 2022, 8:38 am
    Post #8 - August 14th, 2022, 8:38 am Post #8 - August 14th, 2022, 8:38 am
    Greatly enjoyed our delivery order last night: Papaya salad, short rib dumplings, chicken & kimchi dumplings, white shrimp carbonara, crispy rice noodles (I missed the "crispy" but still enjoyed this funky dish), and the Community double cheeseburger. There was so much going on in the carbonara that shouldn't have worked together, yet it did. We also believe this might have been our favorite delivery burger we have had during pandemic. We disassembled it on arrival to try to preserve the bun's integrity, then reheated it when ready for the main course. Even with reheating, the two patties (thin but I don't believe smashed) were deep pink inside. I would happily order from Community Tavern again, and imagine many of the dishes would be even better on-site
  • Post #9 - November 6th, 2022, 11:09 am
    Post #9 - November 6th, 2022, 11:09 am Post #9 - November 6th, 2022, 11:09 am
    Our wonderful neighbors took us to Community Tavern for watching their dog. Truth of the matter, we would happily take them for the sheer joy of hanging out with Charles the Dog! Lovely meal, terrific food, great conversation. Community Tavern has really hit it's stride.

click to enlarge

Community Tavern, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - October 18th, 2023, 7:23 am
    Post #10 - October 18th, 2023, 7:23 am Post #10 - October 18th, 2023, 7:23 am
    Delightful meal at Community Tavern. We had:
    Green Papaya Salad
    Charred Broccoli
    Scallion Pancakes
    Kimchi Dumplings
    Mushroom Butter Dumplings
    White Prawn Carbonara
    Crispy Rice Noodles

That was plenty of food shared among the four of us, so we all got to taste quite a bit of the menu. While I enjoyed the White Prawn Carbonara, it's the only dish I might not order again. Everything else was an A+ winner.
  • Post #11 - December 12th, 2023, 9:45 pm
    Post #11 - December 12th, 2023, 9:45 pm Post #11 - December 12th, 2023, 9:45 pm
    There is no restaurant in Chicago that I've thought about going to more times without actually pulling the trigger than Community Tavern. And now I'm kicking myself. Great food, great space, great service. If more LTHers went here and the GNRs ever come back, I really think this place would merit some consideration.

Others have praised the papaya salad (great rendition but could've used more heat if I'm going to really nitpick) and the burger (outstanding). No need for pictures as they still look the same as above.

ImageI couldn't tell you what makes the mushroom butter dumplings so good - the menu just mentions werp farm greens and Thai basil - but after an extremely long and gluttonous day of eating, these things still managed to stand out. Our server pushed them on us (not in a remotely aggressive way) and we thanked him profusely. Note: there are typically 4 to an order but there were six of us, which is how we ended up with 6. These will be a mandatory order when (not if) I return.

Image I'm a sucker for Baked Alaska and this one did not disappoint at all. Chocolate cake, double dark chocolate gelato, and Swiss meringue. I'm still a little annoyed I had to share it. Just a delicious dessert.
  • Post #12 - January 13th, 2024, 9:35 pm
    Post #12 - January 13th, 2024, 9:35 pm Post #12 - January 13th, 2024, 9:35 pm
    Every time we eat here I tell myself we should eat here more often. Tonight was no exception.

Kimchi Mussels were the highlight of our meal. We all loved them. The broth was addictively delicious. We also enjoyed the squash dumplings.

Entrées were Bibimpop (Audrey,) Double Cheeseburger/Fries (Jonathan,) & the vegetarian Dan Dan Noodles (me).

This place is so cozy and welcoming on a chilly winter night. Service was fantastic. We plan on heading back a few more times this Winter.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more