LTH Home

Kie-Gol-Lanee, Oaxacan Restaurant in Uptown

Kie-Gol-Lanee, Oaxacan Restaurant in Uptown
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 24th, 2022, 5:22 pm
    Post #31 - February 24th, 2022, 5:22 pm Post #31 - February 24th, 2022, 5:22 pm
    The GP wrote:As of February 23, 2022, Kie-Gol-Lanee will no longer be BYO. They now have a liquor license. This news comes from their Facebook page, which I can't link to from work.

Link to their website
    Link to their Facebook page
  • Post #32 - May 22nd, 2022, 7:00 am
    Post #32 - May 22nd, 2022, 7:00 am Post #32 - May 22nd, 2022, 7:00 am
    Finally got there.
    Delicious meal. I had the rabbit stew in yellow mole (a lot of sesame, I think), SueF the Cornish hen in black mole. The rabbit was lacking something to soak up all that delicious sauce (a few corn tortillas didn't make a dent), and compared to the hen was a small protein potion (three drumstick-like pieces and a cube-shaped bone-in piece I couldn't identify). I liked it a lot but I feel like the prices are too close to Frontera-level for the service, neighborhood and portions.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #33 - May 22nd, 2022, 11:00 am
    Post #33 - May 22nd, 2022, 11:00 am Post #33 - May 22nd, 2022, 11:00 am
    JoelF wrote:Finally got there.
    Delicious meal. I had the rabbit stew in yellow mole (a lot of sesame, I think), SueF the Cornish hen in black mole. The rabbit was lacking something to soak up all that delicious sauce (a few corn tortillas didn't make a dent), and compared to the hen was a small protein potion (three drumstick-like pieces and a cube-shaped bone-in piece I couldn't identify). I liked it a lot but I feel like the prices are too close to Frontera-level for the service, neighborhood and portions.

Portion issues aside, are we still falling back on the trope that only a downtown Mexican resto can charge higher than taqueria prices? In a post-pandemic climate, particularly…

You said the food was delicious. You didn’t comment on the service so no idea what wasn’t up to par there (I’ve never had anything but wonderful service at KGL so curious to hear). Main course portions vary based on the dish—some are larger than others —but rabbit and Cornish hen are small animals so I always assume the portions are smaller.

Kind of confused by this review and hoping it doesn’t put people off a restaurant doing something special on the north side.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #34 - May 22nd, 2022, 7:28 pm
    Post #34 - May 22nd, 2022, 7:28 pm Post #34 - May 22nd, 2022, 7:28 pm
    No, it's not the downtown-ness that justifies price, but rent is a factor in pricing a menu, and Frontera feels a little more luxe, versus a family storefront. There weren't any flaws in the service, but I felt a little more pampered at Frontera.

The Cornish hen actually was very generous, we'll get a second meal out of the leftovers.

I certainly didn't feel ripped off, but there's a bit of value imbalance. I would still highly recommend KGL.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #35 - March 7th, 2023, 9:01 pm
    Post #35 - March 7th, 2023, 9:01 pm Post #35 - March 7th, 2023, 9:01 pm
    Had a lovely meal here this past weekend. The restaurant is cozy and the service is very friendly. My wife and I each had a soup, and then one of the masa based appetizers. All were excellent, including the black bean dip that comes with the chips instead of a typical salsa.

Rather than discuss each dish, I'll simply say that we visited Oaxaca this past October and found the food brought back excellent memories. There are surely concessions to USA tastebuds; the quesadilla had more stuffing, chips were served at the start (we only ran into that in one or two more tourist focused places), the Champurado was made with milk whereas in Oaxaca it is was usually made with water. But the flavors of the dishes were excellent and seemed true to Oaxaca as a whole.

In all, a delightful evening.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more