LTH Home

American-Cantonese Egg Rolls

American-Cantonese Egg Rolls
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 6
  • American-Cantonese Egg Rolls

Post #1 - September 11th, 2014, 6:19 pm
    Post #1 - September 11th, 2014, 6:19 pm Post #1 - September 11th, 2014, 6:19 pm
    My first recollection of eating a decent American-Cantonese egg roll was from Moy’s Cantonese in Northbrook sometime in the early 1970s. My older brother Paul worked there during high school and Mr. Moy taught him how to make egg rolls. Mr. & Mrs. Moy loved my brother and wanted him to marry a nice Chinese girl someday. I loved these egg rolls as a kid and God only knows if they were truly any good. But does it really matter anyhow?!
    My ideal egg roll has a crispy, greaseless wrapper, is filled with just the right proportions of pork, shrimp, and cabbage,bound with at least a detectable amount of peanut butter, and having a natural sweetness from the cabbage to offset the saltiness. Looking for a high-quality American-Cantonese egg roll over the years has proved difficult. Nonetheless, I thought it was high time to try several examples in sucession to see their relative merits and/or shortcomings.

The following are notes from some of my favorite egg roll places along with a couple recommended spots (Moy Lee & Golden Wok) that made our cut for a one-day egg roll excursion.

Palace Cantonese (Morton Grove)

This egg roll was slightly greasy but still had decent integrity. The well-integrated filling has a nice sweet/savory thing going with a good subtle level of peanut butter to boot. Very pleasant sweet/savory counterpoint. Enjoyable and certainly one of the best of the day.
    8.5-9/10.

Image (Laikom)

China Chef (Morton Grove)

This egg roll was like a geyser with grease seeping out of its wrapper. A denser filling composed mostly of cabbage and indiscernible amounts of pork and/or shrimp. Turmeric added. One-dimensional.
    7/10

Image (Laikom)

Kow Kow (Lincolnwood)

Our threesome was oohing and ahhing about the aesthetics of this outstanding batter-dipped greaseless egg roll. A true work of art. Nice sized rustic chunks of distinct (not integrated) shrimp and pork with coarsely chopped cabbage with good crunch that added much-needed texture to the overall bite. Definitely on the salty side, though. The Chinese mustard is clearly the notable additive here and not peanut butter. A great egg roll in spite of it being on the salty side. First rate.
    9+/10

Word around the campfire is the longtime owners of Kow Kow (Moy) are looking to sell.

PIGMON wrote:Word around the campfire is the longtime owners of Kow Kow (Moy) are looking to sell.

CORRECTION as of 10/15/14: Apparently, someone spoke too fast to me over at Kow Kow. Wendy said that negotiations fell through and the family has no intention whatsoever of selling anytime soon.

Image (Laikom)

Golden Wok (Chicago)

Even upon casual inspection, one might end up wanting to call this thing an “albino egg roll”. Rock hard and greaseless, this "dry wall" batter-dipped egg roll is fried to a cement consistency. Ridiculously dry filling. It tasted as though it was industrially made (think frozen egg roll ala Chun King.). Ugh.
    4/10

Image (Laikom)

Moy Lee (Chicago)

Unlike China Chef, this is a clean (greaseless) egg roll. This filling has the highest pork to cabbage ratio I've ever come across anywhere. The meat might have been a tad on the tired side but not close to a deal breaker - at least for me, that is. I couldn’t detect any peanut butter but was assured by the staff that it’s in there.
    An egg roll worthy of at least a try.
    8/10

Image (Laikom)

Lee's Chop Suey (Chicago)

As some of the old timers around here might remember, The Immortal Hungryrabbi wasn’t a big fan of this place in the least. In fact, he posted about it in the “Tell me your worst food experience in Chicago” thread back in 2004 (“It was as though a flavor vampire had sucked the life out of this plate of food…”!!!). But I’m betting he would’ve loved their egg rolls.

The filling here is of the mulched variety (sweet as well as savory) with the cabbage still retaining a welcome bit of crunch. This egg roll has many similarities with the one found at Palace Cantonese. If you like a pronounced amount of peanut butter in your egg roll and live in the City, you should consider trying this well-balanced effort.
    8.5-9/10

Image (Laikom)

I don’t think there was any doubt that Kow Kow’s egg roll was the group’s consensus favorite with its pristine greaseless batter-dipped wrapper, high-quality filling, and superb construction. But I don’t think it’s completely fair to compare a batter-dipped style egg roll like what is found at Kow Kow to the more common traditional style egg rolls found at places like Palace Cantonese or Lee’s Chop Suey.

Top Honors: Kow Kow
    Honorable Mentions: Palace Cantonese, Lee’s Chop Suey
    Certainly Worth a Try: Moy Lee

Palace Cantonese
    9236 Waukegan Rd, Morton Grove
    (847) 966-2231
    palacecantonese.com

China Chef
    5920 Lincoln Ave, Morton Grove
    (847) 967-6050

Kow Kow
    6755 N Cicero Ave, Lincolnwood
    (847) 677-7717

Golden Wok
    5731 N Central Ave, Chicago
    (773) 631-8884

Moy Lee
    5346 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago
    (773) 631-1290

Lee’s Chop Suey
    2415 W Diversey Ave, Chicago
    (773) 342-7050
    Last edited by PIGMON on October 15th, 2014, 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2014, 7:41 pm
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2014, 7:41 pm Post #2 - September 11th, 2014, 7:41 pm
    Fantastic! And with the exception of Lee's, all within just a few minutes of my office.

Thank you, for the useful and informative write-up.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - September 11th, 2014, 8:23 pm
    Post #3 - September 11th, 2014, 8:23 pm Post #3 - September 11th, 2014, 8:23 pm
    Pigmon, as always, a cool idea for a survey.

We went to eat at Won Kow last weekend -- our first time at Chinatown's oldest restaurant -- and I've been working on an appreciation of American-Chinese food. Among the largely disdained items I liked were, I'm a little embarrassed to say, Crab Rangoon, a second cousin to egg rolls.

Egg roll skins enfolding cream cheese and scallions with no noticeable crustacean, authenticity be damned, still excellent drinking food.

I've not yet figured out how (or even if) American-Chinese eggrolls differ from what is served in Asia, though I'm guessing deep-frying is just one American touch of many.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #4 - September 11th, 2014, 9:16 pm
    Post #4 - September 11th, 2014, 9:16 pm Post #4 - September 11th, 2014, 9:16 pm
    Sweet. The best egg roll I've ever had came from the least likely of both towns and locations. If you're ever riding thru Momence, Illinois you have to stop at Annie's Eggrolls and let me know if they really were as good as I remember or if I was just loving the fact this old Asian lady was hand rolling egg rolls to order inside an old drive-in along the Dixie Highway. Was hot mustard requested and sampled? My love for it makes some places more preferred than others as the homemade stuff is always much better than the plastic pouches. I see Kow Kow in my near future. Good stuff.
  • Post #5 - September 11th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    Post #5 - September 11th, 2014, 9:58 pm Post #5 - September 11th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    Yu's Szchuan's current owners once owned Golden Crown in Northbrook. Their eggroll filling is chicken or beef, if you don't specify the default is beef.

June 10 2008 003.jpg

Yu's Szechwan
    847-432-8888
    847-432-3888
    822 Central Avenue, Highland Park, IL 60035
    June 10 2008 005.jpg
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - September 12th, 2014, 6:21 am
    Post #6 - September 12th, 2014, 6:21 am Post #6 - September 12th, 2014, 6:21 am
    I absolutely love this type of egg roll, but my very favorite version incorporates bbq pork, and if you want to be completely satisfied, make your own -- not that difficult. Monica Eng provided a fantastic recipe in the Tribune last year and I've made it a few times, including for one of the Montrose Beach bbqs (the luau).

When I make them, I get my bbq pork from Hon Kee on Argyle and dice it (making sure not to eat to much of the pork as I go along). I incorporate shiitakes and a little sesame oil, and I poach the shrimp in a mixture of soy, rice wine vinegar and water. For the cabbage, I use some ordinary green cabbage but also mix in some Napa for its more unique flavor. As for how they stack up to Pigmon's highest rated ones, you'll have to ask the bbq attendees, but I think they're pretty fantastic.
  • Post #7 - September 12th, 2014, 8:10 am
    Post #7 - September 12th, 2014, 8:10 am Post #7 - September 12th, 2014, 8:10 am
    Great stuff, PIGMON. I found so many really bad egg rolls, it's good to know where to go and what to avoid.

Hammond -- I'm with you in having a soft spot for crab rangoon.
    -Mary
  • Post #8 - September 13th, 2014, 6:41 pm
    Post #8 - September 13th, 2014, 6:41 pm Post #8 - September 13th, 2014, 6:41 pm
    Another data point:
    Golden Chef in Wheeling makes a classic Ameri-Chinese eggroll, well seasoned, crisp and only a little greasy. I didn't check for shrimp or pork, but it's certainly got meaty flavors. I'm less fond of their pink sweet and sour sauce, though.

Golden Chef Chinese Restaurant
    600 S Milwaukee Ave, Wheeling, IL
    (847) 537-7100
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - September 13th, 2014, 8:53 pm
    Post #9 - September 13th, 2014, 8:53 pm Post #9 - September 13th, 2014, 8:53 pm
    Egg rolls were always a treat when ordering take out when we were kids. The filling consisted of diced BBQ pork, shrimp ,cabbage and God knows what else. Fast forward years later and most egg rolls disappoint rather than please. I am so glad this thread has started. I got to get to Kow Kow before it changes ownership.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #10 - September 14th, 2014, 11:23 pm
    Post #10 - September 14th, 2014, 11:23 pm Post #10 - September 14th, 2014, 11:23 pm
    Sun Wah has my favorite egg roll.
  • Post #11 - September 15th, 2014, 9:34 am
    Post #11 - September 15th, 2014, 9:34 am Post #11 - September 15th, 2014, 9:34 am
    David Hammond wrote:
    I've not yet figured out how (or even if) American-Chinese eggrolls differ from what is served in Asia, though I'm guessing deep-frying is just one American touch of many.

When I was studying in Beijing I seldom saw any kind of egg roll on a menu. I saw a lot more egg rolls in southern China and they were more like what we might call a spring roll: deep fried thin flaky wrapper and veg-heavy fillings. Sometimes they would have taro in them. The classic big fat Chinese-American egg roll with thick, blistered skin, was one of two foods I really missed when I lived in China, to the point of having lucid dreams about it (the other one was the Taco Bell crunch wrap supreme for some reason). I even like the cheap ones that are filled with mostly shredded cabbage, grainy red mystery meat and maybe one lonely shrimp hiding somewhere inside.

Thanks to the OP for creating this list. Has anyone ever tried the egg roll at Orange Garden on Irving Park Rd? That place looks like it could sling out a classic egg roll/
  • Post #12 - September 15th, 2014, 9:40 am
    Post #12 - September 15th, 2014, 9:40 am Post #12 - September 15th, 2014, 9:40 am
    eating while walking wrote:Thanks to the OP for creating this list. Has anyone ever tried the egg roll at Orange Garden on Irving Park Rd? That place looks like it could sling out a classic egg roll/

It's interesting that PIGMON posted this. Ive been working on a similar project, but have not yet completed my research. I investigated most of the places that PIGMON has listed and more; Orange Garden being one of them. I'm not yet done with the research for my post, but I will say that Orange Garden does serve one of the better versions of the peanut butter tinged egg rolls in the city, though they are a little on the skinny side. The taste is right on, though.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #13 - September 15th, 2014, 9:50 am
    Post #13 - September 15th, 2014, 9:50 am Post #13 - September 15th, 2014, 9:50 am
    I'm going to be the dissenting vote on Moy Lee. Tried it a while back and it was abysmal. From the dirty tables to the rancid smell in the air, something was not right. But we were hungry and desperate for Cantonese near home.

The food was awful. Tasteless except for salt and what could charitably called sour but in reality was just off produce. Less than ten bites in I discovered a large piece of greasy hair in my dish. The waitress was nonplussed and didn't even take the saucer with the hair away. Charged us full price and gave is a dirty look when we repeated that no, we did not want the 95% of the uneaten food to go.

Never again. I'd rather hit up New China Buffet on a Tuesday at 3pm.
  • Post #14 - September 15th, 2014, 10:25 am
    Post #14 - September 15th, 2014, 10:25 am Post #14 - September 15th, 2014, 10:25 am
    Octarine wrote:I'm going to be the dissenting vote on Moy Lee. Tried it a while back and it was abysmal. From the dirty tables to the rancid smell in the air, something was not right. But we were hungry and desperate for Cantonese near home.

I was on this tour and my assessment of Moy Lee was in line with your complaints here. I took one bite of that egg roll and immediately tasted the sweetish funk of borderline rancid meat and I actually had to spit out a chunk of pork. A higher meat ratio is not a good thing, imo, especially when its on its way to inedibility. I can't remember which stop (Lee's I think) made comment about other joints using up leftovers in their egg rolls and they proclaimed not too. Lee's was my second favorite of the day, just a notch above Palace, for its archetypal peanutty, "mulched" filling and greaseless crunch (Palace's was a bit more oil-laden). I'd never thought too much about eggroll quality before this outing and going in, I felt that there could not be a whole lot of variation on the theme. And for the most part there wasn't, though both Lee's and Palace scratched that nostalgic itch and both turned out platonic ideals of the form. Kow kow is in a league of its own though and as PIGMON stated, a true work of art that transcends the genre.
  • Post #15 - September 15th, 2014, 11:56 am
    Post #15 - September 15th, 2014, 11:56 am Post #15 - September 15th, 2014, 11:56 am
    Yeah. OG's fried American-Chinese stuff is pretty spot on, as one would hope.
  • Post #16 - September 15th, 2014, 2:39 pm
    Post #16 - September 15th, 2014, 2:39 pm Post #16 - September 15th, 2014, 2:39 pm
    Octarine wrote:I'm going to be the dissenting vote on Moy Lee. Tried it a while back and it was abysmal. From the dirty tables to the rancid smell in the air, something was not right. But we were hungry and desperate for Cantonese near home.
    I must agree, though I don't recall whether I'd tried an egg roll on my sole visit shortly after moving to the neighborhood. I also can't seem to remember what I'd ordered but will never forget the almost comical amount of celery and little else in a brownish gray sauce.
    I once saw the place aptly referred to as Oily Moy Lee which I still say to myself during my frequent drives past.
  • Post #17 - September 15th, 2014, 2:49 pm
    Post #17 - September 15th, 2014, 2:49 pm Post #17 - September 15th, 2014, 2:49 pm
    I think PIGMON's round-up nearly echoes my feelings about the egg rolls that we ate. Kow Kow was in a league of its own. Lee's and Palace were a close second. I will add that if the albino egg roll even gets a 4/10, I'd hate to see what a 1, 2, or 3 would be like. That was definitely the worse egg roll I've experienced. If a 1 would be deadly, 2 food poisoning, maybe I'd give it a 3... I spit my bite out and got as far away as I could. I mean, look at this thing.

After PIGMON and Jefe got full and parted ways, 6 egg rolls wasn't enough and I still needed another so I stopped at House of Wah Sun. I thought it was a very respectable egg roll.

House of Wah Sun.

The shell was actually the crispiest of the entire tour, and pretty much grease free. It had an even more pronounced curry (turmeric) flavor than the China Chef one. Big chunks of shrimp and pork and not quite al dente cabbage. Another noteworthy point is that their house mustard has a killer mustard oil punch to it. So much so that they add their house sauce and a packet of the regular stuff to the order just in case you can't handle the real stuff. I'd probably place it 3rd, after Kow Kow and Palace but before or tied with Lee's.

Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #18 - September 15th, 2014, 2:53 pm
    Post #18 - September 15th, 2014, 2:53 pm Post #18 - September 15th, 2014, 2:53 pm
    BrendanR wrote:
    I must agree, though I don't recall whether I'd tried an egg roll on my sole visit shortly after moving to the neighborhood. I also can't seem to remember what I'd ordered but will never forget the almost comical amount of celery and little else in a brownish gray sauce.
    I once saw the place aptly referred to as Oily Moy Lee which I still say to myself during my frequent drives past.

I did forget to mention, I agree with you guys, and Jefe. At Moy Lee there was definitely a weird gamey off flavor to the pork, either it was old and funky, or there was something offal mixed in with it. I think i said something to the effect of "I've intentionally eaten things funkier than this, but with as many egg rolls as we are going to eat today, I just don't need to finish this one." Moy Lee is definitely 2nd from last, but not nearly as bad as the albino.
    Last edited by laikom on September 15th, 2014, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #19 - September 15th, 2014, 2:54 pm
    Post #19 - September 15th, 2014, 2:54 pm Post #19 - September 15th, 2014, 2:54 pm
    I'll add a little love for Lee's here. I think their egg rolls are solid. And actually, I like a lot of their renditions of old-fashioned American Chinese. Hits the spot when I want a taste of my childhood delivered to my front door.
  • Post #20 - September 23rd, 2014, 1:33 pm
    Post #20 - September 23rd, 2014, 1:33 pm Post #20 - September 23rd, 2014, 1:33 pm
    So I read this thread a few days ago and was driving down Central today at noon. I saw the Golden Wok which I know has new owners since May 2014. Haven't been in. I think "eggrolls", turn around and go in and sit down. I didn't remember which photos above went with which places. I got a bowl of hot sour soup ($3.45) and ordered two egg rolls ($3.45). Eggrolls show up and BAM I see the light color batter on the fried egg roll batter and remember it got poor reviews above. Well, I gotta say what I had wasn't what is described above. Mine was a 6 on a 1-10 scale. Didn't taste funky, wasn't oily, it was just fine and dandy. I've had a hundred Kow Kow eggrolls too so I know a good American Chinese eggroll.

I ate mine right out of the kitchen on a plate. I see some bags in the backgrounds of some of the images above. Is it possible transit time and packaging screwed some of the reviewers up?
  • Post #21 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:40 pm
    Post #21 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:40 pm Post #21 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:40 pm
    I'm a fan of Kow Kow egg rolls, though House of Wah Sun is my current pick for straight up American Cantonese.

Sun Wah is one of my regular go-to spots, my love for which is well documented, though I seldom get Sun Wah's egg roll its top tier with a crispy exterior and hint of peanut butter filling. Bonus points for being able to add their terrific chili oil to the house-made sweet and sour and mustard.

Sun Wah Egg Roll

crappy cell phone pic
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:51 pm
    Post #22 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:51 pm Post #22 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:51 pm
    Sun-->Wah

Wha-->Sun

??

2 different places, right?
  • Post #23 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:58 pm
    Post #23 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:58 pm Post #23 - September 23rd, 2014, 5:58 pm
    kenji wrote:2 different places, right?

Sun Wah BBQ
    5039 N Broadway St
    Chicago, IL 60640
    773-769-1254

House of Wah Sun
    4319 N Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-477-0800
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - September 23rd, 2014, 6:02 pm
    Post #24 - September 23rd, 2014, 6:02 pm Post #24 - September 23rd, 2014, 6:02 pm
    That's a big coincidence to have GWiv blessings along with the transposition. Luck of the Chinese, I guess.
  • Post #25 - September 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm
    Post #25 - September 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm Post #25 - September 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm
    kenji wrote:That's a big coincidence to have GWiv blessings along with the transposition. Luck of the Chinese, I guess.

Let me be clear, I have a deep long standing appreciation for Sun Wah, House of Wah Sun is my current pick for American Chinese of the type I grew up with in Milwaukee.

Lately I've been drifting to Great Beijing in Lincolnwood for American Chinese style even though they are known, at least on LTHForum, more for hybrid Chinese/Korean such as gampongi chicken wings and chachiang mein with house-made noodles.

Great Beijing Chinese Restaurant
    6717 N Lincoln Ave
    Lincolnwood, IL 60712
    847-673-5588
    Last edited by G Wiv on September 24th, 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #26 - September 23rd, 2014, 10:13 pm
    Post #26 - September 23rd, 2014, 10:13 pm Post #26 - September 23rd, 2014, 10:13 pm
    I've been having client lunches at GB recently. Loving the place. They seem to know 80% of their walk in customers and say hello using their names. I'm loving their jellyfish appetizer and their squid dishes are really good too. It's like I'm walking into Evergreen Restaurant from 24th and Wentworth in Chinatown Chicago, but in Lincolnwood.
  • Post #27 - September 24th, 2014, 7:59 pm
    Post #27 - September 24th, 2014, 7:59 pm Post #27 - September 24th, 2014, 7:59 pm
    I finally made it to Kow Kow based on this thread!! YES! YES! YES! Damn good egg rolls. The rest of the meal was 'eh' but the mai tai -not hand crafted tiki bar caliber-was pretty potent for $5. Service was excellent and the 'to go' egg rolls were beautifully wrapped with extra mustard and sweet sauces. Sun Wah is our go to place on Saturday mornings and their egg rolls are very good too-but Kow Kow's reign supreme.
  • Post #28 - September 25th, 2014, 7:24 am
    Post #28 - September 25th, 2014, 7:24 am Post #28 - September 25th, 2014, 7:24 am
    Elfin wrote:I finally made it to Kow Kow.. The rest of the meal was 'eh'.

For some reason everything seems brown while at KK. The sauces, soups, the carpet, tabletops, the paneling. I wonder if its a Jewish-Chinese "thing"?
  • Post #29 - September 27th, 2014, 11:07 pm
    Post #29 - September 27th, 2014, 11:07 pm Post #29 - September 27th, 2014, 11:07 pm
    Correction-our Saturday morning place is Hong Kee on Argyle just east of Broadway. Opposite experience than Kow Kow ;their egg rolls are eh but the rest of their food is fantastic.
  • Post #30 - October 2nd, 2014, 8:05 am
    Post #30 - October 2nd, 2014, 8:05 am Post #30 - October 2nd, 2014, 8:05 am
    Dang thread... got me totally craving eggrolls the last few weeks - Lincolnwood, etc not in my hood so I started hitting spots in the S & W.

Wing Wah on Harlem ave in Riverside, IL. - Friendly cat running the spot, simple eggroll with mince pork - i dont think i found a shrimp - but these were good - just a touch of peanut butter:

Wing Wah
    3222 Harem Ave.
    Riverside, IL. 708-447-7645

Finished chowing this eggroll and some bbq pork fried rice and called in a togo order from Golden Wok over in Lagrange Park -

These folks have another location on Roosevelt Road in Glen Ellyn. Their eggroll was good as well, notable pieces of pork and shrimp - touch of 5 spice to the pork - crunchy cabbage - tinge of peanut butter. Pretty Good.

Golden Wok
    1122 N. Maple
    Lagrange Park, IL.

708-354-3930

Had a 3rd stop planned but traffic and 2 frickin trains chewed up my lunch hour - back at it today - gonna get 3 spots. This time some shrimp fried rice at the 1st stop so I can toss some skrimps into my eggroll if I dont see any.. (i know - genius)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more