LTH Home

American-Cantonese Egg Rolls

American-Cantonese Egg Rolls
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - February 23rd, 2021, 7:53 am
    Post #151 - February 23rd, 2021, 7:53 am Post #151 - February 23rd, 2021, 7:53 am
    Chicago’s egg roll boom is fueled by Black restaurateurs, who fill the Chinese American snack with everything from jerk chicken to Italian beef

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #152 - August 16th, 2021, 10:28 am
    Post #152 - August 16th, 2021, 10:28 am Post #152 - August 16th, 2021, 10:28 am
    I was driving back to Illinois via Iowa dreaming of Chicago's Pekin House egg rolls from:

Pho N' Grill Vietnamese Cuisine - RIP
    913 S Annie Glidden Rd, DeKalb, IL 60115
    phongrilldekalb.com
    (815) 901-0374

Thank you for the great opportunity for the past 5 years of serving the Dekalb neighborhood. Unfortunately we have decided to close our restaurant. Thank you for all the love and support from our community, giving a unknown type of cuisine to be a part of town. From our loyal patrons from day one we appreciate your open arms. From patrons, that became friends, coworkers that became family, we appreciate everyone who have contributed to our success. We wish everyone good health in the upcoming years. From the bottom of our heart, we are going to miss every single person that has supported us since day one. The memories created at Pho N’ Grill will not be forgotten - only cherished. For the customers who followed us from Chicago who still orders the egg rolls in bulk, please email us at phongrill888@gmail.com

I learned they were gone in time to redirect to Rip's Tavern in Ladd just off of 80.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #153 - August 16th, 2021, 3:14 pm
    Post #153 - August 16th, 2021, 3:14 pm Post #153 - August 16th, 2021, 3:14 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I was driving back to Illinois via Iowa dreaming of Chicago's Pekin House egg rolls from:

Pho N' Grill Vietnamese Cuisine - RIP
    913 S Annie Glidden Rd, DeKalb, IL 60115
    phongrilldekalb.com
    (815) 901-0374

Thank you for the great opportunity for the past 5 years of serving the Dekalb neighborhood. Unfortunately we have decided to close our restaurant. Thank you for all the love and support from our community, giving a unknown type of cuisine to be a part of town. From our loyal patrons from day one we appreciate your open arms. From patrons, that became friends, coworkers that became family, we appreciate everyone who have contributed to our success. We wish everyone good health in the upcoming years. From the bottom of our heart, we are going to miss every single person that has supported us since day one. The memories created at Pho N’ Grill will not be forgotten - only cherished. For the customers who followed us from Chicago who still orders the egg rolls in bulk, please email us at phongrill888@gmail.com

I learned they were gone in time to redirect to Rip's Tavern in Ladd just off of 80.

Regards,
    Cathy2

It's too bad Pho N Grill is no more, it was a *fine* option for an area sparse with interesting things to eat. But I never found the egg rolls there to be anywhere near best in class, at least in the recent years I have tried them.

The best deep fried foods in DeKalb are Lothson's chicken (which likely doesn't stack against Rip's, which I've never had) and Beef Shack's tallow fries.
  • Post #154 - November 11th, 2021, 7:44 am
    Post #154 - November 11th, 2021, 7:44 am Post #154 - November 11th, 2021, 7:44 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:In the greater Des Plaines area, House of Szechwan has the best egg rolls in the opinion of Mrs Willie & I. (one of these days I'll make it work so I can post a photo)
    http://houseofszechwan.com/ (NE corner of Mount Prospect & NW Hwy)

On a side note, on Sundays they have a Chinese/Filipino buffet from Noon-3pm which I've been wanting to try.
    There is new ownership of House of Szechwan and unfortunately the egg rolls are not near the quality they used to be.

Time to try some new spots on this thread.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #155 - November 11th, 2021, 10:42 am
    Post #155 - November 11th, 2021, 10:42 am Post #155 - November 11th, 2021, 10:42 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:There is new ownership of House of Szechwan and unfortunately the egg rolls are not near the quality they used to be.

I wish I lived closer, but Sun Shui's egg rolls are just 3-4 miles up Rand Rd for you (from HoS).
  • Post #156 - November 11th, 2021, 3:18 pm
    Post #156 - November 11th, 2021, 3:18 pm Post #156 - November 11th, 2021, 3:18 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:In the greater Des Plaines area, House of Szechwan has the best egg rolls in the opinion of Mrs Willie & I. (one of these days I'll make it work so I can post a photo)
    http://houseofszechwan.com/ (NE corner of Mount Prospect & NW Hwy)

On a side note, on Sundays they have a Chinese/Filipino buffet from Noon-3pm which I've been wanting to try.
    There is new ownership of House of Szechwan and unfortunately the egg rolls are not near the quality they used to be.

Those folks now run Chinese Munch-In in Wheeling (Camp MacDonald & Wolf), just a few minutes from the old HoS. Their menu runs high and low, but the egg rolls are excellent.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #157 - May 24th, 2022, 6:31 am
    Post #157 - May 24th, 2022, 6:31 am Post #157 - May 24th, 2022, 6:31 am
    Axios has reader contributions on favorite egg rolls, which might include some previously not highlighted.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #158 - August 15th, 2022, 11:59 am
    Post #158 - August 15th, 2022, 11:59 am Post #158 - August 15th, 2022, 11:59 am
    Chef’s Special Cocktail Bar makes egg rolls that impress the toughest critic — a Chinese mother.
    [By Louisa Chu]
    When I first presented my mother with an egg roll by Chef’s Special, the American Chinese restaurant and cocktail bar in Chicago by award-winning chef Jason Vincent and his partners at Giant, she scrutinized the golden offering by turning it around slowly with chopsticks.

“You can tell they put a lot of kung fu into this,” she said in Cantonese, just one of the dialects she speaks. She doesn’t mean the martial arts, but the kind of work that also requires study and practice, resulting in a power that’s spiritual above all.

That is perhaps the highest compliment a Chinese mother can give.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/r ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #159 - August 15th, 2022, 11:46 pm
    Post #159 - August 15th, 2022, 11:46 pm Post #159 - August 15th, 2022, 11:46 pm
    I ordered take-out from Chef’s Special last night, based on Louisa's article. Damn good egg rolls. Not cheap--$8.50 for a pair--but damn good. Same for the eggplant and spicy lamb sausage appetizer. Outstanding flavor, but a bit pricey at $13.50 for a smallish portion.

Based on the location, the overall vibe, and the owners' background, I wasn't surprised.

I'll be back, but not as often as I might go to other, more reasonably priced, Asian restaurants.

Buddy
  • Post #160 - August 15th, 2022, 11:50 pm
    Post #160 - August 15th, 2022, 11:50 pm Post #160 - August 15th, 2022, 11:50 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:I ordered take-out from Chef’s Special last night, based on Louisa's article. Damn good egg rolls. Not cheap--$8.50 for a pair--but damn good. Same for the eggplant and spicy lamb sausage appetizer. Outstanding flavor, but a bit pricey at $13.50 for a smallish portion.

Based on the location, the overall vibe, and the owners' background, I wasn't surprised.

I'll be back, but not as often as I might go to other, more reasonably priced, Asian restaurants.

Buddy

I agree about the egg rolls. FYI, Chef's Special thread here.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #161 - August 16th, 2022, 10:49 am
    Post #161 - August 16th, 2022, 10:49 am Post #161 - August 16th, 2022, 10:49 am
    Ronnie,
    For the sake of "topical purity", feel free to move my post, and perhaps the one previous, to the dedicated Chef's Special thread. Once completed, you can delete this post completely.

Buddy
  • Post #162 - August 16th, 2022, 11:08 am
    Post #162 - August 16th, 2022, 11:08 am Post #162 - August 16th, 2022, 11:08 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Ronnie,
    For the sake of "topical purity", feel free to move my post, and perhaps the one previous, to the dedicated Chef's Special thread. Once completed, you can delete this post completely.

Buddy

Unless you object, we'll just leave it here. There's so much overlap, I don't think there's any "correct" approach. If you prefer that we move it, that's fine, too.

Thanks!

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events